Notifications
Clear all

Drink Recipes

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/26/2010 11:07 am

Alton Brown's Ginger Ale:

Fermented with yeast to provide the carbonation. I'm sure you can reduce/substitute most of the sugar, but you probably need at least a tablespoon to feed the yeast. And you might want to read all the comments before trying it or if you don't like the results of your first batch. Reviewers suggest quite a few variations, doubling of ginger, using brewers yeast instead, etc.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-b...cipe/index.html

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 ounces finely grated fresh ginger

* 6 ounces sugar

* 7 1/2 cups filtered water

* 1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast

* 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Directions

Place the ginger, sugar, and 1/2 cup of the water into a 2-quart saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat, cover and allow to steep for 1 hour.

Pour the syrup through a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl, pressing down to get all of the juice out of the mixture. Chill quickly by placing over and ice bath and stirring or set in the refrigerator, uncovered, until at least room temperature, 68 to 72 degrees F.

Using a funnel, pour the syrup into a clean 2-liter plastic bottle and add the yeast, lemon juice and remaining 7 cups of water. Place the cap on the bottle, gently shake to combine and leave the bottle at room temperature for 48 hours. Open and check for desired amount of carbonation. It is important that once you achieve your desired amount of carbonation that you refrigerate the ginger ale. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, opening the bottle at least once a day to let out excess carbonation.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/26/2010 11:21 am

Recipe and interesting method for a sorbet made with ginger ale in which you freeze by pouring into icecube trays then use a blender to turn however much you want at a time into a sorbet or ice. An easy method you might want to try with other some of the other drink recipes listed here like the sassy water.

Roasted Pineapple with Thyme-Ginger Ice

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/claire-...cipe/index.html

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/06/2010 12:11 pm

Watermelon Beverage:

Put the insides of a watermelon in the blender and turn on high.

A pinch of sea salt is optional. Serve chilled on a hot summer day.

That's certainly simple. There's lots of variations you can do as well. I make lemonade with the watermelon providing the sweetener. And I've seen watermelon drinks with herbs added like basil, rosemary or thyme.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/06/2010 12:21 pm

I've been making a fruity tea drink I really like lately using green teas flavored with bits of fruit skins.

I use Salada brands Purple anti-oxident version which is flavored with grape and berry skins. I use 2 tea bags in a jar I think is 2 quarts, but might be 3. I use cold water and just leave the bags in there. And then add a bit of juice or fruit puree for flavor. I've used pure pomegranite juice concentrate, unsweetened from whole foods. I've used ordinary frozen concentrate cranberry which is of course sweetened as that's the only way they make it. Why, i don't get. And I've used unsweetened frozen blackberry pulp from Goya. All good. I tried using more tea to make it stronger but didn't like it as much. But make yours to your taste. It's not rocket science.

They have a citrus version which would be nice with a bit of orange or other juice, but I'm allergic.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/27/2010 12:01 pm

Hibiscus Tea aka Jamaica Tea

This is a popular drink throughout Central America, the Caribbean and Asia. It's a very tart, dark red tea. You'd almost think you were drinking fruit juice and might be a good substitute for those of you who insist on drinking juices.

It's included in Republic of Tea's Get Gorgeous blend that is supposed to help with acne. It's a source of vitamin C and who knows what other antioxidants. It improves blood pressure and blood cholesterol and improving those helps with stable blood sugar. Prized by Okinawans for longevity.

Also, per this site: http://www.brighthub.com/health/alternativ...cles/18697.aspx

Hibiscus tea contains an enzyme inhibitor which blocks the production of amylase. Amylase is an enzyme that breaks down complex sugars and starches. Drinking a cup of hibiscus tea after meals will reduce the absorption of dietary carbohydrates and will assist in weight loss.

Immune System

Hibiscus tea is rich in vitamin C and makes a wonderful herbal remedy to fight off colds and infections by strengthening the immune system.

Other benefits of hibiscus tea include preventing bladder infections and constipation if taken regularly.

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 03/29/2011 12:49 pm

Recipe for making your own homemade milks:

Almond milk:

1 cup almonds, 4 cups water.

Cashew milk:

1 cup cashews, 4 cups water

Put the almonds and 1-2 cups of water into a blender and blend until creamy. Then add the other two cups of water and blend. Some people prefer to add a sweetener of honey, dates, a ripe banana or just the interior of a vanilla bean. Do whatever suits your diet!

Other nuts can be used as well: Hemp seeds, sunflower seeds or a mixture.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 03/29/2011 11:28 pm

Nutrient Dense everyday use milk:

Ingredients:

1/4 cup hemp seeds

1/4 cup walnuts

1/4 cup chia seeds

1/4 cup sunflower seeds

2 TBL flax meal

1/2 cup dates

pinch of salt

water

Directions:

I soak all seeds/nuts. Try to soak for at least 8 hours before making. After soaked rinse them off 2-3 times.

Put all ingredients into blender, slowly add water until well blended but you don't want to overdo it unless you like runny milk. Then strain. Blend again and then you can add more water to however thick/thin ya want it.

You can be creative with this as well. It's just a good base I go off. This recipe will make me about 1/3 gallon. I usually triple the recipe to have a gallon to refrigerate. I also like my milk like whole milk though, so those who like their milk like skim milk will get more.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/31/2011 10:22 am

Oat Cinnamon Horchata

Horchata is a Latin American drink usually made with rice. But apparently it's must faster to do it with oats and likely contains more nutrients than white rice horchata.

Ingredients

* 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats

* 1 (4-inch) cinnamon stick, broken into tiny pieces

* 4 cups water

* Sugar or agave nectar, as needed Substitute or go easy on a bit of honey, etc.

Directions

In a large pitcher, soak the oats, cinnamon and water for a minimum of 30 minutes. Blend the mixture (including the cinnamon) in a blender. Strain and sweeten with sugar or agave, to taste. Serve well-chilled or over ice.

From Marcella Vallodolid, FoodTV's Mexican Made Easy:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela...cipe/index.html

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/11/2011 12:57 pm

Dr. Oz had a champion bartender and a doctor pair up to create antioxidant rich anti-aging cocktails:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/anti-aging-cocktails

Memory-Boosting Bloody Mary

Ingredients

Makes 1 cocktail

1 tbsp kale

2 tsp ginger

2 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp turmeric

1 1/2 oz vodka

4 oz tomato juice

1 celery stick, for garnish

Directions

Puree kale, using a blender or food processor, and grate ginger into a bowl.

Combine pureed kale, ginger, ground pepper and turmeric into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.

Add vodka and tomato juice, and shake. Strain over glass filled with ice, and garnish with celery before serving.

Heart-Smart Cooler

Ingredients

Makes 1 cocktail

1 tbsp blueberries

1 tbsp blackberries

4-6 leaves mint

2-3 leaves basil

1/2 oz pomegranate juice

1/2 oz green tea

4 oz seltzer water

Basil sprigs, for garnish

Mint sprigs, for garnish

Directions

In a tall glass, muddle blueberries, blackberries, mint and basil.

Add juice and tea and top with seltzer. Garnish with basil and mint sprigs, and serve with a straw

And there's a sugary liqueur based chocalatini.

MemberMember
(@moonbase)

Posted : 10/11/2011 10:47 pm

1 Part Scotch + 1 Part Amaretto = A classy delicious combo

Well perhaps not the healthiest drink but quality scotch/whisky contains some potent anti-oxidants.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 10/11/2011 10:53 pm

Keep 'em comin', this thread is awesome. catdance.gif

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/04/2011 3:19 pm

Something I saw on a website that sold heirloom variety beans, chiles and spices from Mexico:

Chia Lemonade

You may know chia as a seed you smear all over clay animals so that they'll sprout green stuff and then you call it a pet. It may be fun (and it may not be fun) but it's a complete waste of a perfectly wonderful seed that you can use in limeades.

The Aztecs used chia, especially during times of war. You can munch on it and it's crunchy and not totally unpleasant but we think you'll enjoy it more by adding several spoonfuls to a pitcher of homemade limeade and waiting about 20 minutes for the seeds to release their gelatinous texture. It sounds a little gross but I'm telling you it's delicious, more fun than a Chia pet and they tell me it's incredibly healthy.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/01/2012 4:52 pm

Coconut or almond milk, ginger and Tumeric tea recipe

http://www.marksdail.../#axzz1hmFNtsBv

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/03/2012 9:49 am

From MDA

3 Healing Herbal Teas You Can Make in No Time at Home

We hope you all had a relaxing and enjoyable holiday!

Here are three healthy, soothing herbal infusions you can make at home. Herbal teas, of course, are not technically œtea, but the combinations of herbs, fruit and spices promote many aspects of wellness. These are some of our favorites:

Cleansing & Rejuvenation

Recovering from illness? Or maybe a little too much festivity? Here™s a refreshing, stimulating blend.

1 or 2 strips fresh sliced ginger

2 teaspoons peppermint leaves (basil can work, as well, but won™t be as tasty)

1 teaspoon dried lavender

This herbaceous, spicy blend is wonderful for the stomach and digestion. For an extra herbal note you can add a dash of oregano or a sprig of rosemary.

mint.jpg

Sir Iwan Flickr Photo (CC)

Stress

Feeling ragged and overwhelmed? On edge? This infusion is guaranteed to relax.

1 rosehip

1 teaspoon linden flowers

1 teaspoon chamomile flowers

This gentle, sweet blend will help you sleep and promote calm. Add an orange peel twist for extra interest.

chamomile.jpg

Matsuyuki Flickr Photo (CC)

œStomach Upset

Why did I eat that? Here™s a natural tonic that will relieve cramps, gas and digestive complaints.

1 heaping tablespoon blueberries (boil and mash “ don™t just use jam!)

1 teaspoon honey

1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

1 sprig peppermint

This tasty, light syrup will have you feeling settled and restored in no time.

blueberries.jpg

Lori D Stone Flickr Photo (CC)

Infusion confusion? Here™s how to do itInfusion is very simple. You™ll generally want to use about 1 teaspoon of each herb to 1 cup of water, but if you are using dried herbs you may need an extra teaspoon or so. Add the herbs or flowers to water you™ve just boiled (wait for the boiling to settle down before adding the herbage). Cover and wait 10 minutes “ presto, infusion! Strain and enjoy.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/herbal-tea/#ixzz1iPHY6vH5

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 02/11/2012 4:36 pm

http://eatdrawlive.com/oat-and-buckwheat-milk/

Oat and Buckwheat Milk Recipe, dairy-free if you use coconut kefir. I'm trying it out today and will be using goat kefir.

Oat and Buckwheat Milk

Ingredients

• 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats

• 1 cup buckwheat (cereal or groats)

• 1 cup unsweetened coconut kefir

• 2 cups lukewarm water

• 8-10 cups water to dilute mixture after blending

• cinnamon, vanilla, honey or stevia are optional

Cooking Directions

• In a bowl combine all the above ingredients.

• Cover and let sit for a minimum of 7 hours or overnight.

• Blend mixture in a vitamix or blender.

• Using a fine strainer separate liquid from the pulp.

• Keep the pulp to make granola later.

• Once all the liquid has been separated add the additional cups of water to dilute the mixture.

• Test to your desired taste.

• Add spices and sweeteners of your choice

• Store in the refrigerator

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/08/2012 11:51 am

Homemade Coconut milk from dried coconut. From a vendor of coconut products. There's a video demonstration here: http://www.freecocon...de-coconut-milk

Homemade Coconut Milk

Servings: 1

Preparation time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

• In a medium-size kettle, heat the water, but do not bring it to a boil.
  • Place the coconut in a blender and add 1 cup of the hot water.
  • Blend for 2-3 minutes.
  • Place a colander in a bowl and line the colander with 4 thicknesses of cheesecloth.
  • Pour the blended coconut mixture into the cheesecloth and twist to extract the milk, letting the milk go into the bowl.
  • Return the coconut pulp to the blender and add the remaining 1/2 cup of hot water.
  • Blend for 1-2 minutes, strain and press through the cheesecloth into the bowl.

Makes about 1 cup

Save the leftover pulp for pancakes & cookies! Mix the coconut with a couple mashed ripe bananas, a little salt and whatever else you'd like such as spices, a little cocoa powder, low sugar dark chocolate pieces, a spoonful of nut butter, etc. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet & bake. Also do with other things besides banana such as baked winter squash or sweet potatoes.

MemberMember
(@peony7)

Posted : 03/10/2012 12:56 pm

I made the above sassy water recipe last night and am having some right now.

Hi Alterna, do you think the fresh ginger is crucial to the taste? Would I get away with using some dried ginger?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/10/2012 3:01 pm

I made the above sassy water recipe last night and am having some right now.

Hi Alterna, do you think the fresh ginger is crucial to the taste? Would I get away with using some dried ginger?

I don't think ground dried ginger would work well. I don't think it will dissolve so you'd have some powder floating in your drink. Lemon or lime and water is good. Mint in water is good. Cucumber water is good. Any combination is fine. You'll just be lacking in the benefits of ginger.

MemberMember
(@peony7)

Posted : 03/14/2012 11:28 am

I don't think ground dried ginger would work well.

Thanks Alterna, I am trying the Sassy Water tomorrow with fresh ginger. Here is my first offering to the recipe thread, although it's not really a recipe -

Lemon Balm Tea

You can have this hot or iced

a bunch of young lemon balm

300ml hot water

add the hot water to the lemon balm and infuse for about 10 mins,

Then strain into a mug and drink or cool it down and refrigerate.

I got this from the UK good food channel website

Also, I added sliced apple to mine, Pimms style, then ate the apple after.

I think you can also add lemon balm to food but never experimented with it like that. I don't know whether your green grocers in the US stock this so maybe check out your garden centre? That's where I got mine from. This stuff grows like wildfire in my garden, so if you are going to grow it maybe keep it to a pot. It smells gorgeous if you run your fingers through it!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/08/2012 3:57 pm

Dr. Ozs Energy Cubes are made with two energy boosters: spirulina and lime juice. Combined, they are shown to help boost your mood. A true miracle from the sea, spirulina is an excellent source of protein. This blue-green algae, available in powder and supplement form at health food stores, boosts energy by unlocking sugar from your cells so it does not get stored as fat.

Ingredients

1 tsp spirulina powder

12 oz lime juice

Directions

Combine ingredients; pour into ice cubes trays and freeze. (The cold from the ice also works to wake you up and help boost metabolic energy.)

Add 2 energy cubes to water, fruit or vegetable juices daily.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/28/2012 8:30 pm

These were on Doctor Oz as 'metabolism boosting' teas.

Oolong-Cinnamon Iced Tea

Oolong has a catechin and caffeine combination that ignites your bodys fat-burning furnace, and your metabolism is raised for up to 2 hours after drinking it. The cinnamon has properties that help your body use sugar more efficiently.

Ingredients

4 cinnamon sticks

4 tbsp loose oolong tea or 12 oolong tea bags

3 cups water

Directions

Bring the water to a boil. Turn off the heat and let the tea and cinnamon soak in the boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags or leaves and pour the concentrated tea into a jug. Fill the rest of the jug with cool water. Put the tea in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to chill. Then enjoy!

Iced Ginger-Green Tea

Both green tea and ginger have fat-blasting properties. The green tea contains nutrients that help block fat absorption. And both the tea and ginger help raise metabolism and help your body utilize carbs more efficiently.

Ingredients

12 quarter-inch slices of fresh ginger

4 tbsp loose green tea or 12 bags

3 cups water

Directions

Bring the water to a boil. Turn off the heat and let the tea and ginger soak in the boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags or leaves and pour the concentrated tea into a jug. Fill the rest of the jug with cool water. Put the tea in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to chill. Then enjoy!

Grapefruit-Mate Tea

Mate is an herbal tea that comes from the South American rain forest. Its rich in xanthines which fire up metabolism and speed up fat-loss. And grapefruit is full of vitamin C which can help break down fats.

Ingredients

1 whole grapefruit, chopped

4 tbsp loose mate tea or 12 mate bags

3 cups water

Directions

Bring the water to a boil. Turn off the heat and let the tea and grapefruit soak in the boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags or leaves, and pour the concentrated tea into a jug. Fill the rest of the jug with cool water. Put the tea in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to chill. Then enjoy!

Pear-Infused White Tea

White tea contains antioxidants, including ECGC, that prevents new fat cells from forming and fights signs of aging, like wrinkles. Pears contain pectin, which lowers your blood sugar levels so your body has to work harder to get energy from fat stores.

Ingredients

2 whole pears, chopped

4 tbsp loose white tea or 12 white tea bags

3 cups water

Directions

Bring the water to a boil. Turn off the heat and let the tea and pear pieces soak in the boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags or leaves and pour the concentrated tea into a jug. Fill the rest of the jug with cool water. Put the tea in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to chill. Then enjoy!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/11/2012 9:36 am

Turmeric Tea with Ginger

This tasty adaptation of turmeric tea includes ground ginger, maple syrup, and lemon juice. Its recommended to help ward off colds, flu, and other viral infections, any gastrointestinal problems, and to detoxify the body.

Coconut milk. tumeric and ginger recipe from Marks Daily Apple

[*]8 ounces (1 cup) almond or coconut milk

[*]1/2 teaspoon turmeric

[*]1/2-inch wide round slice of ginger root, peeled and finely chopped

[*]Dash of cayenne pepper

[*]1/2 1 teaspoon honey or other sweetener

[*]Optional additions: a small pat of butter, cinnamon, cardamom

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/creamy-turmeric-tea/#ixzz1xUmNcDmN

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/01/2013 12:02 pm

Water kefir sodas. Several flavors.

http://beingfrugalbychoice.blogspot.com/2012/03/water-kefir-soda-revisted.html

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 05/08/2013 4:15 pm

Cumin Corriander fennel tea:

This is something which would be made 4-5 times a week at home when I was in India. My Mom would make a lot and we would drink it through the day. It helps with digestion.

I recently started having it again, so here goes:

1 quart of water,1 teaspoon of cumin seed.1 teaspoon of fennel seeds,1 teaspoon of coriander seeds

I buy all the seeds from the Indian store.

Place all the ingredients in a pot and simmer for fifteen minutes. After it has cooled off discard the herbs and store the tea in a thermos. I sip on it through the day at work. I switch between this and the ginger turmeric tea vista posted earlier.

Cool Basil seeds drink:

This is specially good for people who eat spicy food, in India they say it cools off your stomach and also help in digestion. I have it before I go to bed.

Half teaspoon of basil seeds (takmaria/sabja in indian store) in a glass of water. I usually add it to slightly warm water. Leave it for ten mins. It will plump up into a gelatinous mass. Drink it..:)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/27/2014 11:50 am

So, some company has started selling bottled teas with chia seeds floating in them & promoting them as an Omega 3 source. An aquaintance showed me some she bought at Whole Foods. And I thought she was smarter than that. Great gimmick, but don't waste your money. If you want to get your omega 3 from chia seeds in a drinkg, Make your own drinks & add chia seeds to them. go easy. In water chia seeds will swell up and become a gel. You don't want your drink to thick to drink.