Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin D... I'm finally clear!!

MemberMember
(@pink-puffin)

Posted : 12/08/2009 12:11 pm

D is great but unfortunately it hasn't really helped my situation with acne - I think. I've been taking approximately almost 10000 IU / day for over 2 months, but I still keep getting acne like usual at this time of year. But vitamin D is essential for proper zinc function in your body so it might be linked...

Well I was pretty much clear last week, I'm not really sure why. I had cut out dairy and started to use BP for some time and since my skin started to look really great. I started eating dairy again few times and broke out the rest of the week. Also I began taking zinc 50-100mg / day and niacinamide (again) 550mg/day and I've also been experimenting with the abstaining from masturbation thing so it's really difficult to say what's going on... I guess I'm gonna cut the dairy out again and see what happens.

Hi Rawhide

Were you aware that you actually had a vitamin D deficiency, before you started taking the supplement? I am wondering if it only works if you are actually DEFICIENT in the first place? I am not expecting miracles with vitd3 as I have had adult acne now for approx 25 years. I wouldn't have thought that I would have had a vitamin D deficiency for that long, but I suppose I've never been tested until recently, so I don't really know.

MemberMember
(@rawhide)

Posted : 12/08/2009 2:03 pm

In fact, only lately the role of vitamin D has been understood better and it appears to be a lot more than just a vitamin and it is brought to attention that most of people not living in constant sunshine are indeed deficient of it.

I suggest you to visit this site:

[Link removed]

It includes tons of research and information about this perhaps the most important 'vitamin'.

MemberMember
(@kiwi_kazoo)

Posted : 12/08/2009 11:19 pm

I'd get tested for Vitamin D deficiency, but it's impossible where I live as I couldnt get to see a doctor here in the remote North unless I have a stroke or heart attack.

if you go to the vitamin council web site that Rawhide provided, you can also order an "at home vit d testing kit" and you won't even have to visit your Dr. to get tested.

MemberMember
(@calbear)

Posted : 01/05/2010 5:21 pm

Ok, so I finally joined. I never ever had bad acne until now. I lived my entire life in sunny california and have since moved to upstate new york. It has been since that the side of my cheeks have been breaking out terribly. At first it looked like a rash, but then it would surface and become very painful. I came across this post and started taking about 5000 I.U.s of D3 almost immediately. Have been for a week, and have seen improvement in quality of the rest of the skin on my face though my cheek has yet to clear up. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping soon it will all be resolved. I will keep posting with any progress.

MemberMember
(@fruitcake33)

Posted : 01/29/2010 4:06 pm

Well, I think I've found it... I think it's finally over! it's been about 2 months, and *no new breakouts*. Absolutely none. I'm... shocked! After all this time, I think I finally found the acne cause and solution, for me.

Two months ago, I started taking vitamin D supplements, about 1000IU per day. Nothing else changed: work has been no more or less stressful, my diet hasn't changed, nothing significant in personal life. I just noticed that my skin is always better after getting a little bit of sunshine, so decided to try taking vitamin D... and, voila! My skin has *never* looked better... It actually looks kind of pretty!

It's hard to believe it could be so simple, yet it kind of makes sense: I never had acne until moving from Arizona to Seattle, and, it always got worse in the winter. The only other time I had acne in my life was while still living in Arizona, I tried a brief stint of eating a very, very low-fat diet (yes, I was young and foolish), and wearing sunscreen religiously; perhaps since vitamin D is fat-soluble, and I was avoiding the sun, I was just unable to synthesize or absorb it. And, sure enough, once I abandoned the low-fat foolishness, the acne disappeared as well. Until I moved to Seattle, that is, when it returned with a vengeance.

The only heavy-duty medications I tried were retin-A for a year, and orthotricyclen for four months. Both were ineffective, unfortunately: the retin-A had absolutely no effect (after a frickin year!!) and on orthotricyclen I still had reliably regular monthly breakouts, plus some in between. I tried eliminating various foods from the diet: chocolate, dairy, peanuts, and citrus, all to no effect.

Also, I absolutely don't eat processed foods, and very little sugar; mostly whole foods, lots of veggies, low sugar, lots of fish oils, only grass-fed organic meat when I do eat meat, blah, blah, blah, etc etc, all the usual recommendations. I got extremely sick of claims that acne is punishment for dietary transgressions -- I *don't* eat crap, at all, yet still had acne.

Anyway! All this is to say that after 3 years of trial and error, I've been pretty much stumped! Until now... taking vitamin D. It's very weird. It's possible that this one simple thing, vitamin D deficiency, has been the problem the entire time. Wow.

It's been about 2 months, so I'm hoping this keeps up. If anything changes, I'll let you guys know, but... so far, so good!

If anyone is still trying the litany of various dietary/medical/vitamin tricks, well, don't forget to give this one a try. Not the cause for everybody, I'm sure, but if there are any others out there like me, maybe this will help!

Hi Atalanta,

if you do come off the vitamin D during the summer, do you get any psychological withdrawal symptoms of any kind? Or do you hardly notcie the difference, because you make it from the sun anyway?

And do you think D3 through supplement form is something you can take always during the winter over the long term, throughout your whole life for example. without any harmful effects?

This might seem a stupid question but I want to know if taking vitamin supplements is a completely different experience from other types of drugs such as anti depressant medication for example, in terms of physical dependence or whether it's totally different because it's just a vitamin.

or if anyone else could give me an answer that would be great..

MemberMember
(@kiwi_kazoo)

Posted : 02/01/2010 3:18 am

Hi Atalanta,

if you do come off the vitamin D during the summer, do you get any psychological withdrawal symptoms of any kind? Or do you hardly notcie the difference, because you make it from the sun anyway?

And do you think D3 through supplement form is something you can take always during the winter over the long term, throughout your whole life for example. without any harmful effects?

This might seem a stupid question but I want to know if taking vitamin supplements is a completely different experience from other types of drugs such as anti depressant medication for example, in terms of physical dependence or whether it's totally different because it's just a vitamin.

or if anyone else could give me an answer that would be great..

it is summer here in new zealand and i have cut back on my vit d. i have not noticed a difference in my mood or anything else because i am assuming that i am getting enough vit d naturally from the sun right now. i plan on upping my dosage a bit when the days get shorter. i tend to get a bit depressed as the days shorten and i hope the vit d will help to keep my mood boosted.

MemberMember
(@hesitation)

Posted : 02/01/2010 5:35 pm

Is cod liver oil a good source of vitamin D?

MemberMember
(@macca637)

Posted : 02/04/2010 12:41 pm

Hi do you have an IM I could contact you at? I have found that my skin is always better when I have been on holiday in the sun. Just wanted to find some info about the vitamin D if possible?

Would be really appreciated!

Andy

MemberMember
(@lewl)

Posted : 02/13/2010 4:22 am

Vitamin D cleared my face completely in about 6 weeks of supplement-taking. I've taken 5 5,000 IU gels each day, 25,000 IU total per day since just before Christmas (Spring Valley brand, D-3, 5,000 IU, 100 softgels).

I know this sounds like a lot, but I have experienced no adverse effects whatsoever from high intake of vitamin D. My skin tone is pretty light, so if I'm in the sun for 20-30 minutes I get this much easily anyway. I will gradually lower it to 20,000, then 15,000, then 10,000, etc, over the next couple months.

I suggest if you want to try this (and at $3.00 - $4.00 a bottle for 100 softgels, it doesn't get much cheaper), start slow. 1-2 softgels a day for 5,000 to 10,000 IU a day for a week or two and gauge how you feel. I'm not a doctor, but IMO don't be afraid to up your intake for several weeks. If you're worried, you can have your levels tested via your doctor or a mail order test.

I think it also has helped that I've basically eliminated chemicals from my diet. In other words, I only eat whole foods and have for about 3-4 months: fresh fruit, fresh veggies, nuts and seeds, unprocessed meat and fish, organic noodles, rice, some bread now and then, etc. I generally don't eat anything that has ingredients that I can't pronounce. Yes, it is more expensive to eat this way, but I think it's absolutely worth it.

I didn't keep track (or let a camera anywhere near me), but 2 months ago I had anywhere from 20-40 spots, most of them active, on my face at any one time. The supplements took a few weeks to start taking effect, but in the last 3 weeks I think I've had 3 or 4 new actives, and am currently 100% clear. Not sure how much this affected my skin, but I also completely stopped using any hair products (ie shampoo) about a month ago. I have short hair that doesn't get greasy or anything, so no consequences there. The best feeling so far is people looking into my eyes without flicking up every now and then to look at my forehead (where most of my spots were). I'll check back every couple days to see if people ask questions.

MemberMember
(@felinor)

Posted : 02/21/2010 5:35 pm

Vitamin D cleared my face completely in about 6 weeks of supplement-taking. I've taken 5 5,000 IU gels each day, 25,000 IU total per day since just before Christmas (Spring Valley brand, D-3, 5,000 IU, 100 softgels).

I know this sounds like a lot, but I have experienced no adverse effects whatsoever from high intake of vitamin D. My skin tone is pretty light, so if I'm in the sun for 20-30 minutes I get this much easily anyway. I will gradually lower it to 20,000, then 15,000, then 10,000, etc, over the next couple months.

I suggest if you want to try this (and at $3.00 - $4.00 a bottle for 100 softgels, it doesn't get much cheaper), start slow. 1-2 softgels a day for 5,000 to 10,000 IU a day for a week or two and gauge how you feel. I'm not a doctor, but IMO don't be afraid to up your intake for several weeks. If you're worried, you can have your levels tested via your doctor or a mail order test.

I think it also has helped that I've basically eliminated chemicals from my diet. In other words, I only eat whole foods and have for about 3-4 months: fresh fruit, fresh veggies, nuts and seeds, unprocessed meat and fish, organic noodles, rice, some bread now and then, etc. I generally don't eat anything that has ingredients that I can't pronounce. Yes, it is more expensive to eat this way, but I think it's absolutely worth it.

I didn't keep track (or let a camera anywhere near me), but 2 months ago I had anywhere from 20-40 spots, most of them active, on my face at any one time. The supplements took a few weeks to start taking effect, but in the last 3 weeks I think I've had 3 or 4 new actives, and am currently 100% clear. Not sure how much this affected my skin, but I also completely stopped using any hair products (ie shampoo) about a month ago. I have short hair that doesn't get greasy or anything, so no consequences there. The best feeling so far is people looking into my eyes without flicking up every now and then to look at my forehead (where most of my spots were). I'll check back every couple days to see if people ask questions.

This is bad man, 25,000 is not safe AT ALL unless you had a vitamin D test done to assure you need this much. Overdosing on any vitamin can cause serious problems.

When out in the sun, once you have an adequate amount of vitamin D, it stops producing it. This isn't the case with supplemental vitamin D.

MemberMember
(@lewl)

Posted : 02/24/2010 4:26 am

This is bad man, 25,000 is not safe AT ALL unless you had a vitamin D test done to assure you need this much. Overdosing on any vitamin can cause serious problems.

When out in the sun, once you have an adequate amount of vitamin D, it stops producing it. This isn't the case with supplemental vitamin D.

Says the guy taking 10,000 vitamin A every other day. Yes, I'm quite aware that overdosing on vitamins can cause serious problems (overdosing on A broke out my neck horribly last year). And yet, I'm clear by using this method (plus eating better); I have no doubt that supplementing with vitamin D in this fashion has absolved my acne. Unless you're a doctor, I wonder how you can lecture about unsafe dosage levels.

MemberMember
(@jamesdmay)

Posted : 02/24/2010 10:33 am

Says the guy taking 10,000 vitamin A every other day. Yes, I'm quite aware that overdosing on vitamins can cause serious problems (overdosing on A broke out my neck horribly last year). And yet, I'm clear by using this method (plus eating better); I have no doubt that supplementing with vitamin D in this fashion has absolved my acne. Unless you're a doctor, I wonder how you can lecture about unsafe dosage levels.

"Lewl" please search Google and educate yourself on Vitamin A and overdosing...., 10,000 IU of Vitamin A EVERY OTHER DAY is not overdosing, that's is like 5,000IU a day, that is a very little amount and is NOT COMPARABLE to your overdosing of Vitamin D at 25,000, WHICH IS AN OVERDOSE............

James

MemberMember
(@lewl)

Posted : 02/24/2010 12:40 pm

"Lewl" please search Google and educate yourself on Vitamin A and overdosing...., 10,000 IU of Vitamin A EVERY OTHER DAY is not overdosing, that's is like 5,000IU a day, that is a very little amount and is NOT COMPARABLE to your overdosing of Vitamin D at 25,000, WHICH IS AN OVERDOSE............

James

Other studies agree that current guidelines are not based in fact. The Research Article The Pharmacology of Vitamin D, Including Fortification Strategies states that there is "no evidence of adverse effects from taking 10,000 IU of Vitamin D a day".

They go on to state, "...cases of vitamin D toxicity with hypercalcemia, for which the 25(OH)D concentration and vitamin D dose are known, all involve intake of (greater than or equal to) 40,000 IU/d."

Satisfied? Not to mention my intake of that level was for about 5 weeks, and I've already been scaling down (plus the fact that I'm clear...)

MemberMember
(@terry44)

Posted : 02/27/2010 5:49 am

*sigh*....High school biology is enough to tell you that a portion of your face can't be sun starved while another part is. Vitamin D is made and distributed via the bloodstream, so it's not like your face is a jigsaw puzzle where you can direct what little piece makes vitamin D and what doesn't.

People that don't know any science.. ;)

Actually the amount of vitamin D that adjoining areas of skin would get would be tiny, having been diluted in the bloodstream, compared to areas of the skin that made vit D directly. I've found from personal experience that places that receive some sun are in better condition than areas permanently protected from the sun. This contradicts the "never get any sun on your skin" theory.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/13/2010 12:48 pm

This is my first post on the site, but I've been reading for years. I am finally clearing up and attribute it to Vitamin D3. Since I started taking it about a month ago, I have not had any new breakouts. That's quite the miracle to me.

A little history...

I've had acne on and off (mostly on) since I was 22, I'm 39 now. My skin has been horrible for the last couple years. It started as pre-rosacea and then I figured out it was an ingredient in shampoo that was causing that - cocamidopropyl betaine. The ingredient is in everything. I use cheap conditioner now instead, which lathers up just fine.

I can also attest that cleaning up my diet has made a huge difference. I get cystic zits if I've been eating a lot of sugar or corn.

If I get zits on my forehead, I know it's from a hair product. I just don't use anything on my hair anymore. I'd rather have clear skin than perfect hair.

But it wasn't until the D3 that I really started to see changes! I started with 5,000 IU per day and then went to 10,000 IU per day. Now I'm taking 20,000 IU per day (half in the morning and half at night) with some coconut oil and zinc. This coming week I'll be going to 10,000 per day and when it starts getting sunnier I'll go down to 5,000 per day. I'll do a D3 test next month to see where I stand. I suspect I still won't be close!

I wouldn't have stumbled on the D3 link without the help of this board. Thank you all! Now... onto removing the red marks... the egg white and lemon mask seems to be working well. I'm also going to try Paula's Choice Skin Lightening gel.

Current regimen for morning and night:

Cerave cleanser (the trick is to emulsify it in your hands before using it)

Paula's Choice 2% BHA

Cerave PM

MemberMember
(@trontrondiggity)

Posted : 03/17/2010 9:43 pm

GNC link

For those of you scared of taking higher levels, GNC sells a 5,000IU tablet of D3, so it must be safe to AT LEAST take 5,000.

MemberMember
(@aqag)

Posted : 03/27/2010 5:09 am

Hi I live in Sweden there is almost no sun at all and my diet is very good but what ever I try I can never ever get completely clear without the summers I hate it so frustrating

so my question is: Did d vitamin really help you out, because it's so frustrating for me to never be able to get clear.

MemberMember
(@changeofpace)

Posted : 03/27/2010 10:37 am

Can you just go and get a Vitamin D test or do you have to go to a usual doctor checkup? Does anyone know how much it costs?

MemberMember
(@maldition)

Posted : 03/29/2010 8:50 am

There is no scientific evidence of which the vitamin D improves the acne.

MemberMember
(@trontrondiggity)

Posted : 03/29/2010 9:07 am

Been taking Vitamin D for 2 weeks now, and I am completely clear. I had cystic acne and not a single one has shown in the past 2 weeks and I don't even have a feeling of one coming on. I take 5,000 IU per day. I also started taking a multivitamin at the same time, so that may have something to do with it as well. But I'm satisfied and will continue to take both!

MemberMember
(@maldition)

Posted : 03/29/2010 9:34 am

Been taking Vitamin D for 2 weeks now, and I am completely clear. I had cystic acne and not a single one has shown in the past 2 weeks and I don't even have a feeling of one coming on. I take 5,000 IU per day. I also started taking a multivitamin at the same time, so that may have something to do with it as well. But I'm satisfied and will continue to take both!

Maybe your improvement is not for the vitamin D, if not as that the multivitaminic that you take has zinc, or vitamin b5, b6, c.

MemberMember
(@changeofpace)

Posted : 03/29/2010 12:00 pm

Are you taking 5000 specifically for acne or because you found out you were vitamin d deficient ?

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 04/01/2010 4:47 pm

just found i'm vitamin d deficient...i'm at 26 and the normal range is 32-100 so my dr. perscribed one pill 50,000 iu's once a week for 8 wks....just took my first dose so we'll see. I was previoulsy taking 1000 d3 daily but wasnt doing anything. my skin has been really bad lately..lot of pores clogging, whiteheads/blackheads. i'm hoping this will cut my oil production quick. Does anyone know if the large perscription dose of 50,000 iu's is D3?

MemberMember
(@patra)

Posted : 04/30/2010 5:25 am

Hello,

I don't regularly post on this message board, but I visit it from time to time. I was so excited to read about your great results with vitamin D. I added vitamin D3 (1,000 IUs) to my vitamin regimen (nature made multi vitamins and now I also take vitamin D3). In one week I see the results. I had little bumps that would not go away no matter what I ate, and I ate healthy (lots of rainbow foods, beans, greens, fruits, herbal teas etc.). My skin just didn't have that smooth surface that I wanted, and the little bumps were visible - but not close enough to the surface to where they could just be scrubbed away with exfoliation. This is the first time in years that I have seen results so quickly and seem to be lasting. I think that it can only get better from here. I will be taking the vitamin D test soon to find out just how low my vitamin D levels are. I am avoiding taking cod liver oil by advisement posted on the Vitamin D Council website.

Other great news: When conducting research online regarding natural sources of vitamin D (besides sunshine and cold liver oil), I was so happy to find that mushrooms are a great source of vitamin D. They are only a great source of vitamin D if they're grown in sunshine. Most mushrooms are grown indoors away from sunshine. Studies have found that when mushrooms are treated with UV Light it highly increses their vitamin D content. To the point where 1 serving has more vitamn D than 2 tablespoons of cod liver oil. I believe that companies will soon offer dehydrated uv light mushroom powder. I look forward to that. Dole is the first major brand to offer mushrooms that have been treated with uv light. I will post some websites below for more information. Mushrooms are also a great source of many other nutrients like zinc.

[Links removed]

Note: Just found out that the vitamin D content in mushrooms is in the form of vitamin D2, which is no longer the preferred from of vitamin D. The preferred form of vitamin D is vitamin D3. I will eat the vitamin D mushrooms and also take a vitamin D3 tablet. I found the information on wikipedia.org.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushrooms_and_vitamin_D

MemberMember
(@evilbaga)

Posted : 05/08/2010 11:01 am

Hello,

I am curently 30 years old living in relatively cold and sunless Toronto, Canada. Also, I am brown-skinned.

I started taking Vitamin D after watching a video about it (Google "Reinhold Vieth Prospects for Vitamin D")

Funny thing is Ive had enlarged pores on my face, and particularly my nose since a teenager. Quite embarrassing. After taking 2-3000 IU of D3 a day for just a week, they were all a *lot* smaller.

Ive been on the 2-3000IU of D3 since February of 2009...almost a year and a half. So, I guess Ill be on this regimen (or maybe even up the dose if I ever get around to getting a blood test) for life.