Notifications
Clear all

pantothenic acid vs. pantethine?

MemberMember
(@hopfensp)

Posted : 04/06/2004 1:46 am

hopfensp:

why DID you start taking pantethine? how did you hear about it?

MemberMember
(@tibman)

Posted : 04/06/2004 8:41 am

hopfensp:

I tried B5 for about a month and I liked the results. I just hated having to take that many pills a day. I quite taking it about 3 weeks ago. I just ordered some pantethine yesterday and I will probably start taking 900 mgs of that. Now hopfensp, you said that if people who are on B5 they should take the B5 and pantethine together and slowly diminsh themselves off the B5. What should I do in my situation? Should I just take the pantethine? Or do I need to start back up on B5 as well?

MemberMember
(@speedracer)

Posted : 04/06/2004 9:11 am

I should be getting my vit today, and will keep everyone updated. I had a bad experince with B5, increased hairloss after about a month and a bit, and quit. I gonnas start taking 600mg, since I got 300mg pills. I will take it once in the am and pm, and I doing Botchs' reg right now (using the bp twice a day). I just had a mega breakout on it and have only been using it for a week. However, I did try B's reg about 2 months ago for 5 weeks. Looking back I had general improvment and should have given it more time, I dont know why I gave up. But after trying other things I had somehting to compare too. The thing with b's reg I had breakouts but no breakouts inbetween, and looking back the no breakouts inbetween were getting longer and longer, but I gave up. Well see. Two months this time

MemberMember
(@sigurd)

Posted : 04/06/2004 2:06 pm

I had a bad experince with B5, increased hairloss after about a month and a bit, and quit.
MemberMember
(@speedracer)

Posted : 04/06/2004 2:22 pm

No, I have not, but its only been two 1/2 months since I stopped. Hair has long cylcles 3-6 months

MemberMember
(@hopfensp)

Posted : 04/06/2004 9:29 pm

hopfensp:

I tried B5 for about a month and I liked the results. I just hated having to take that many pills a day. I quite taking it about 3 weeks ago. I just ordered some pantethine yesterday and I will probably start taking 900 mgs of that. Now hopfensp, you said that if people who are on B5 they should take the B5 and pantethine together and slowly diminsh themselves off the B5. What should I do in my situation? Should I just take the pantethine? Or do I need to start back up on B5 as well?

MemberMember
(@malia)

Posted : 04/07/2004 12:07 am

taken from old threads at clearskin.net

I emailed Dr. Lit-Hung Leung about Pantethine. Here's his reply:

\"Pantethine, and for that matter, Coenzyme A, are but the active forms that pantothenic acid takes once it gets into the body system. They are probably a little more efficient than calcium pantothenate, the commonly available commercial form of pantothenic acid, but they are much more expensive. If you look up pantethine, you'll find that it is the disulfide dimer of pantetheine, the derivative of which is an intermediate in the conversion of pantothenic acid to coenzyme A. As such, weight for weight, no matter if it is pantothenic acid, or pantethine that you are taking, you end up with approximately the same number of Coenzyme A molecules that they generate. Though with calcium pantothenate, you have the added calcium mo;ecule there, making the molecular weight slightly higher, which means that you have to take a slightly bigger dose of calcium pantothenate than pantethine in order to generate the same number of Coenzyme A in the body.\"

MemberMember
(@2shyguy)

Posted : 04/07/2004 1:27 am

Well, if that is a legit email, his reasoning isn't very, umm, reasoned...

First, his "best" argument against pantethine is the price. He says that pantethine is "probably a little more efficient than calcium pantothenate...but they are much more expensive." To me thats not a very good reason not to switch or add pantethine into one's diet.

He then says, "weight for weight...you end up with the same number of Coenzyme A molecules they they generate." that doesn't sound to scientific to me. First of all, if you take 900 mg (weight) of pantethine vs. 900 mg of pantothenic acid (calcium pantothenate), you will NOT get the same result. Hence the needed 8-10 grams of p. acid that 600-900 mg of pantethine will create.

Basically from that read, he doesnt give any good reasons to not take pantethine over p. acid. I dunno, I just don't think after doing a big study on pantothenic acid that he would retract what he wrote and say, "oh wait, yes pantethine would be better to take."

2SG

MemberMember
(@dude123)

Posted : 04/07/2004 1:22 pm

just to update you on my pantethine supplement, I have definitely noticed less oil on my forehead....It used to become very oily between my eyes, and normally I always had a blemish there, but it is definitely becoming less and less.....I did not see this difference using B5 for 2.5 months either

MemberMember
(@malia)

Posted : 04/07/2004 4:12 pm

dude123:

when did you start pantethine?

MemberMember
(@2shyguy)

Posted : 04/07/2004 4:33 pm

dude123:

Nice to hear that there are already results in such a short time. If you really are experience less oil with this and didtn with pantothenic acid, that is a good sign for me cause p. acid didnt help me either.

I just got my pantethine in today and im anxious to start. what mg did are you taking? I think i'll start with 900 then go to 600 in the next few days.

2SG

MemberMember
(@xgamerx)

Posted : 04/07/2004 4:59 pm

This is funny, but my mom just told me today she ordered some "guglipid" to help lower her cholesterol. I checked the label and it has 25mg guggulsterones like acneva does. I checked some other clinical studies and they have had good results. Since she has them, by chance, I figure ill take Pantethine and Guglipid and stop with all my other vitamins.

This is a big step and I hope this is a smart decision.

OK so for vitamins:

900 mg Pantethine

2000 mg guglipid (50 mg gugulsterones)

100 mg ALA

50 mg DMAE

I hope it works (AKA my acne doesnt come flooding back)

MemberMember
(@dude123)

Posted : 04/07/2004 5:24 pm

dude123:

when did you start pantethine?

MemberMember
(@dude123)

Posted : 04/09/2004 12:07 pm

hows the pantethine coming 2SG? I should be getting my Swansons order in the mail today.....are you taking 3 per day?

MemberMember
(@sel8k)

Posted : 04/09/2004 2:04 pm

Does this form of treatment help with cystic acne?

MemberMember
(@dude123)

Posted : 04/09/2004 3:21 pm

MemberMember
(@speedracer)

Posted : 04/09/2004 5:15 pm

To Gamer-

Why stop you current reg (Perricone) if it was doing so well?

MemberMember
(@2shyguy)

Posted : 04/09/2004 5:47 pm

Hey Dude:

Yes i got my pantethine in wednesday and ive taken 900 mg per day since then (so only 2 days)

I swear I noticed a difference only yesterday (one day). My face seemed extra dry. However, I didnt put on the wrinkle raiders cream and i usually do which makes my face a bit more oily. So im going to today and see if that makes a difference.

I'll keep you updated.

how is yours going? Still noticing a difference?

2SG

MemberMember
(@dude123)

Posted : 04/09/2004 9:20 pm

Hey Dude:

Yes i got my pantethine in wednesday and ive taken 900 mg per day since then (so only 2 days)

I swear I noticed a difference only yesterday (one day). My face seemed extra dry. However, I didnt put on the wrinkle raiders cream and i usually do which makes my face a bit more oily. So im going to today and see if that makes a difference.

I'll keep you updated.

how is yours going? Still noticing a difference?

2SG

MemberMember
(@2shyguy)

Posted : 04/09/2004 10:51 pm

Yea, i am gonna take 3 a day: breakfast, late lunch, and Dinner.

thats weird that your face is more oily now. I bet its the stuff you washed with.

2sG

MemberMember
(@sel8k)

Posted : 04/10/2004 8:01 pm

pantethine is the result of broken down pantothenic acid....its the active form of B5....taking pantethine is exactly like taking pantothenic acid, we're just omitting a step

MemberMember
(@purepersian786)

Posted : 04/10/2004 8:21 pm

hey guys.. im gonna jump on the boat with u guys too

listen iv been taking B5 at 10g a day for 3 months now, i use the acnemiracle brand, so it has zinc in it also..

if i was to introduce Panethine in to my regimen how would i do it?

what dosage should i start off on and what about the B5? should i carry on with that and slowly take it down? if so at what dosage.. 10g?

thanks guys

MemberMember
(@allan)

Posted : 04/11/2004 6:53 am

I've just stopped taking B5 after a year of taking it as I have been unwell for almost 2 months and can only tihnk it's the B5. I've been taking 900mg of pantethine since Friday and although my skin still seems dry I have developed a few new spots around my mouth. I hope this is purely coincedence, as I don't want to go back to how I was before I started taking the B5 as I would rather be dead than endure that again.

MemberMember
(@2shyguy)

Posted : 04/11/2004 2:19 pm

Allan,

First when did you stop taking B% to take pantethine? how long was the grace period in other words. I'd say if it was over a few days to a week, then there could be some new formations.

Also, what strenght of b5 were you taking? 900 mg is the equivalient of about 8 grams of b5 (just guessing from what ive read/heard), so if you were taking 10 grams you might notice a difference. Although, after that long you are supposed to be able to reduce yourb5 significantly, so i don't really know.

I'd say stick with it for a while and see how things go.

2SG

MemberMember
(@allan)

Posted : 04/11/2004 2:48 pm

I stopped taking the B5 on the Friday just gone and immediately begain taking 900mg of pantethine, split over 3 times a day, with breakfast, lunch and evening meal. I was actually only on 2 grams of B5 which seemed to be working just aswell as when I was on a higher dose. I've gone back to the B5 today as when I got up this morning I had a few more formed.