Notifications
Clear all

Dessert Recipes and Ideas

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/16/2013 7:41 am

Grain free, no flour brownies

http://fastpaleo.com/zucchini-brownies/

Nut butter, grated zucchini, chocolate, eggs, spices, honey. I'd prefer a recipe that uses cocoa rater than chocolate, but apparently you don't melt the chocolate, just stir the chunks in to the batter.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/28/2013 1:16 am

its really late at night and i suddenly felt this unusual thirst for something sweet!(blame this thread..i was trying to fins out something healthy n sweet for tomorw but just couldnt handle it)

i made a dip which had crumbled digestive biscuits,yogurt,honey, and cinnamon.

cut apples into small pieces and threw in!

the yogurt was kept in the fridge so the over all dish seems a lil' cold.

its hot here(around 35-40 degrees) and i cant stop myself.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/29/2013 4:12 pm

The link contains a oat bar recipe if you want it. contains wheat. And she's a vegan which is the reason for the 'chia egg' substitute for eggs.

But the cool thing is the fruit jam thickened with chia seeds rather than a lot of sugar. I'll be experimenting with this. Although I don't have that much use for it since I rarely eat bread. There's always all the pancake recipes posted on the better breads and alternatives thread...

For Strawberry chia seed Jam:

Ingredients:

• 2 & 1/4 cups chopped strawberries, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 3-4 tbsp sugar, to taste
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds

Directions: In a medium sized pot, add the chopped strawberries and sugar. Heat over low until the strawberries begin to sweat and it gets a bit watery. Once it heats down a bit, add in the chia seeds, and stir well. Bring to a boil and then simmer over low to medium heat for at least 10 minutes. Once it has thickened a bit, remove from heat and cool for 5-10 mins.

From some of the comments I removed as I pasted, this recipe didn't originate with this site, so there are probably more recipes and tips out there on the interwebs.
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/20/2013 5:28 pm

Banana Fudgsicles
2 small, very ripe bananas
1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
small pinch of salt
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until well combined. Pour into popsicle molds. Freeze. Makes 5-6 pops.
MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 06/20/2013 7:17 pm

can i make oatmeal cookies with rolled oats if so can somone please tell me how? never cooked a day in my life and im tired of eating tastless oatmeal everyday. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/21/2013 7:36 am

can i make oatmeal cookies with rolled oats if so can somone please tell me how? never cooked a day in my life and im tired of eating tastless oatmeal everyday. Thanks.

Yes, I thought I'd already posted a 2 ingredient oatmeal and banana cookie. It's in my Pinterest board. I'll find it. But there's likely already recipes for oat cookies and bars here.

Also, you could make oats that aren't tasteless. I don't make oatmeal, but instead have whole oats and buckwheat. And it's not tasteless. It's full of spice and topped with fruit and nuts.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/21/2013 9:41 am

even i wanted some quick recipes(preferably not sweet; i dnt like sweet dishes generally)?

can i make it like 'poha'(flattened rice cooked with veggies,onion,turmeric etc)

also,is flattened rice and puffed rice good as snacks or otherwise?

there are various ways they can be eaten and honestly in fast lives its not always possible to eat at home(specially when out for the whole day).

so instead of having junk food and processed stuff like biscuits,small packet cakes,muffins etc i could carry these?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/21/2013 1:58 pm

Chocolate Nut Butter Bites

1/2 cup coconut oil (softened but not hot)

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1/2 cup nut butter (I use sunflower seed butter)

1/4 cup (mild) raw honey*

1. Pour all the ingredients into your food processor and pulse a few times until ingredients are well combined. Don't have a food processor? Simply whisk until well combined.

2. Pour the mixture into silicone mold tray or lined mini muffin tin. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to harden. Remove fudge bites and store in fridge or freezer.

The Banana Oatmeal cookies recipe is 2 ripe bananas mashed and one cup quick oats. Place teaspoonfull balls on cookie sheet, bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

I just tried it, without altering the recipe which is unusual for me, but I happened to have some quick oats on had because I asked a neighbor for some oats one day to try bathing my itchy dog with it, and she gave me this container of quick oats. Besides, I baked it on the outdoor grill, which is still a learning thing with me. Oh, yeah, I did put one large dark chocolate chip in the center of each one, so I didn't follow the recipe. My record still stands.

They are nice enough. I've had a few recipes that I've done for years involving mashed banana and oats, usually plus other things, so they taste pretty much the same.

Next time, I will likely use a cup of my cooked buckwheat and whole oats cereal instead. And/or dried coconut.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 06/21/2013 2:39 pm

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1. Pour all the ingredients into your food processor and pulse a few times until ingredients are well combined. Don't have a food processor? Simply whisk until well combined.

2. Pour the mixture into silicone mold tray or lined mini muffin tin. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to harden. Remove fudge bites and store in fridge or freezer.

The Banana Oatmeal cookies recipe is 2 ripe bananas mashed and one cup quick oats. Place teaspoonfull balls on cookie sheet, bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

I just tried it, without altering the recipe which is unusual for me, but I happened to have some quick oats on had because I asked a neighbor for some oats one day to try bathing my itchy dog with it, and she gave me this container of quick oats. Besides, I baked it on the outdoor grill, which is still a learning thing with me. Oh, yeah, I did put one large dark chocolate chip in the center of each one, so I didn't follow the recipe. My record still stands.

They are nice enough. I've had a few recipes that I've done for years involving mashed banana and oats, usually plus other things, so they taste pretty much the same.

Next time, I will likely use a cup of my cooked buckwheat and whole oats cereal instead. And/or dried coconut.

Thanks i will try this, sounds good hopefully my house doesnt blow up.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/21/2013 3:44 pm

1/2 cup cocoa powder

Thanks i will try this, sounds good hopefully my house doesnt blow up.

You should also look into baked oatmeal recipes that include eggs. Somyounare getting eggs in your breakfast. And you should explore the food and recipe thread. It used to be pinned but they just unpinned it for some reason. There's a link in the first post.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/17/2013 12:55 pm

Lemon coconut macaroons

• 3 large egg whites
  • 3 tbsp raw honey
  • 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (medium shredded or above)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350F (177C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, whip the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the honey, lemon juice, vanilla and salt and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
  2. Fold in the shredded coconut. Place the mixture in the refrigerator to let it bind. Form into balls. Place each ball on the baking sheet. The balls should hold together. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Depending on the size of the cookie a longer baking time might be required.
  3. Each recipe makes about 15-20 macaroons

Make Yourself Some Treats That are Good for your Skin http://dietforclearskin.blogspot.com/

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/22/2013 5:34 pm

I've made a cake which is mostly apple with little flour few years now, but I always misplace the recipe over the summer. I've found that if your search for French Apple Cake you'll find many similar recipes. Here's the one I'm going to follow with some adaptations i.e. leave out sugar, dried coconut for flour. Will probably add some spices. oh, and today, I am going to add some fresh cranberries.

French Apple Cake
Printable Recipe

Serves 6-8

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled off with knife
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling over cake
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons dark rum
2 sweet baking apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (such as honeycrisp, fuji or golden delicious)
Confectioners sugar (optional)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch springform or regular cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.

3. Using a handheld mixer with beaters or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffly, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down sides of bowl after each addition. Beat in vanilla and rum. Dont worry if the batter looks grainy. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold in chopped apples.

4. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar. Bake cake for about 40 minutes, or until cake is lightly golden and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool until just warm. Run a blunt knife around the edges of the cake and remove sides of springform pan if using. Dust with Confectioners sugar if desired. Cake can be served warm or room temperature, with or without lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/02/2014 3:44 pm

No Bake, Grain Free Cinnamon rolls.

Just skip the agave nectar which is NOT a healthy 'food.' And the dates likely make it sweet enough. You can also make dough with steamed chunks of plantain.

They have a Cashew based icing. I wouldn't want the icing on these, but it might be nice on some other dessert.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/24/2014 4:53 pm

Raw Berry Chia pudding pie. Basically, combine chia pudding in a ground almond pie crust shell both of which have been posted here before.

But here's Whole Foods recipe:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/raw-berry-chia-pudding-pie?utm_source=email&utm_medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=2014_07_23_Recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup pitted dates
  • 1 cup slivered almonds
  • 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
  • 6 cups mixed fresh berries, divided
  • 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened white grape juice
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
You must be signed in to use shopping lists. Sign in or create account
Method:

To make the crust, in a food processor, combine dates, almonds and flaxseed meal, and process until the mixture is finely ground and begins to clump together, 1 to 2 minutes; stop several times to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Scrape the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and press down with your fingers or the bottom of a glass to evenly cover the bottom and sides of the plate. Set aside.

Wipe out the food processor and add half of the berries, chia seeds, grape juice, honey and vanilla. Process until fairly smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in remaining berries. Pour into the pie plate, cover and refrigerate until chilled and chia seeds have thickened the filling, at least 4 hours.

MemberMember
(@fyry)

Posted : 07/26/2014 1:21 pm

2 minutes-cream :

2 avocados

frozen strawberries

chia gelly (2 tbsp. chia seeds left in an espresso glass of water overnight or for a few hours)

--------> blend together in a food processor

--------> when it is ready add coconut flour and begin forming a thick paste. Slowly add a bit of cocoa powder (just a bit) and cocoa butter (1 tbsp) or coconut oil (1 tbsp)

I sometimes eat it alone or added it recently to buckwheat plus a banana and it was heavenly ( I dont add cocoa)

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 05/24/2015 10:01 pm

OMGOSH! Thank you alternativista!

I would like to share somethin my grandfather eats,

Yogurt with Blueberries

I used to eat Blueberry Oatmeal, but the oats are kind of bad for my gut, because eating grains too much can break down your intestinal walls, and that makes me more prone to acne.

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 05/24/2015 11:10 pm

This isn't really a recipe, but sauteeing apples in some ghee or coconut oil and sprinkling with cinnamon is soo good. Its like apple pie without the pie if that makes any sense.

If you tolerate cream, then mixing chopped fruit/berries with homemade whipped cream and cinnamon is delicious and very simple.

I'm thinking about combining both of your ideas, and making a big hot cinnamon whip cream pie with no wheat or bread. Any ideas of something that can hold it all together, or replace the wheat/bread/dough? Maybe a gluten and free dough!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/08/2016 5:00 pm

Bump, so it doesn't get archived. And surely you all have new recipes & ideas..

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/15/2016 5:43 pm

On 5/24/2015 at 11:10 PM, Melloman said:

I'm thinking about combining both of your ideas, and making a big hot cinnamon whip cream pie with no wheat or bread. Any ideas of something that can hold it all together, or replace the wheat/bread/dough? Maybe a gluten and free dough!

There are many nut based alternatives to the graham cracker type crust. I'm pretty sure they were posted earlier in this thread.