Notifications
Clear all

*`*~FABULOUS Skin Food (GREEN SMOOTHIES)~*`*

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 08/07/2006 6:35 pm

Mine were gross so I think I made them wrong. I use lettuce(which I've heard iceberg isn't the best), two apples, and frozen blueberries. It tasted quite gross. It tasted like apples and lettuce.

Mine looked an appealing green once i blended it. Then i went to the bathroom quickly and when i returned it had gone brown. YUM 🙂

Anyway it tasted crap.

Oh, come on!! You guys are already ready to give up? 🙁 Such determination!! LOL Oh... about the smoothie turning brown.... fruit will turn brown after a while... but uh, usually it takes a lot more time than just a quick couple of minutues...

Mine tasted yucky in the beginning to, but oh my gosh, I'm SO glad I didn't just take the easy way out and give up. Who knows how many more scars I would have gotten had I done that. Ok.... if you both want to give it another try, I suggest using "sweet" fruits. Two pears (or one pear and a banana), 1-2 cups of frozen peaches or pineapple, 4 cups of water, and 2 handfuls (or just one since you're getting used to it) of raw spinach (spinach has the mildest flavor). Add some cinnamon and honey if you'd like. If you make it right, it should taste like a smoothie from a smoothie cafe. I made this recipe once, and it was awesome. None of my smoothies ever taste gross anymore - I just know how to make them now.

About the lettuce... iceberg lettuce hardly has any nutrition - I really can't imagine it tasting very good in a smoothie either.

Anyway, I didn't give up, because I owed it to myself not to - I really just depends on how much you want to help yourself. If they taste bad to you, it's not because of the greens, it's because you need to work on your combinations a bit more.

Stupid question, but: Will a centrifugal type of juicer work with this? I could only assume that the greens will just stay and dissolve in the lid.

Two years with the moderate/severe acne crap, its time to do something about it!

I know what you mean... I dealt with the same issue for a while. I don't recommend using a juicer for these, because then you'll miss out on all the fiber, and it's really best to consume the fruits/greens in their whole form. I do hope you'll give these smoothies a good try! At least give them a good 6 weeks, and drink 4 cups a day - try not to skip any days until you pass the 6 week mark! I really think you might be very happily surprised after 6 weeks. If you run into trouble with your smoothies getting them to taste good, please post what you're doing, and I'll try to help! 🙂

MemberMember
(@no-im-amy)

Posted : 08/07/2006 6:51 pm

Man, I can't believe I wanted to give up already. I'm going to try what you suggested with sweeter fruits and having spinach. Iceberg lettuce is nasty.

MemberMember
(@annaa)

Posted : 08/07/2006 7:15 pm

Hahahahaha Independent thinker i love what you wrote about putting green stuff in you brothers drink!! That was so funny! You havenAAt noticed anything happening to his skin?

Did you have acne on both your face and your body?

I wonder if it would be possible to juice broccoli. I remember that someone wrote on this forum a couple of weeks ago that he got clear by eating some kind of broccoli pill. So maby it would be even better to juice it!

MemberMember
(@hypoglycemic)

Posted : 08/07/2006 7:37 pm

This is great. I just made my first smoothie tonight.

I admit that I went heavy on the fruit -- incase I found it undrinkable, I didn't want to waste all that produce! Next time, I'll add more greens.

I made mine with half a large green apple, a peach, some strawberries, a handful of spinach and one stem of celery. For the frozen fruit, I bought organic frozen raspberries from the health food store (pricey!) I also mixed some stevia in to sweeten it.

I got nervous about added sugar content of packaged frozen fruit, which is why I bought the organic kind. But, that's going to get expensive.

So right now, I'm freezing the leftover strawberries and tomorrow that will count as my "frozen fruit".

What do you think about adding some soy protein powder to it... think that'd be gross? I always add it into my fruit-only smoothies, but I'm making those with yoghurt.

Thanks for the post! Great stuff!

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 08/08/2006 12:38 am

Man, I can't believe I wanted to give up already. I'm going to try what you suggested with sweeter fruits and having spinach. Iceberg lettuce is nasty.

Yea!!! I'm so glad! Let me know how it goes! Believe me, I got really discouraged in the beginning, but I got it figured out! You just have to keep working with it. 🙂

Hahahahaha Independent thinker i love what you wrote about putting green stuff in you brothers drink!! That was so funny! You havenAt noticed anything happening to his skin?

Did you have acne on both your face and your body?

I wonder if it would be possible to juice broccoli. I remember that someone wrote on this forum a couple of weeks ago that he got clear by eating some kind of broccoli pill. So maby it would be even better to juice it!

About my brother, thanks! hahahaha He doesn't have any skin problems. I just make them for him, because he doesn't eat healthfully, and if I can "trick" him into drinking something really healthy, then well, I've got to do what I can! hehe He really thinks he's drinking a pure fruit smoothie and always comments on how delicious they are. hehehe I'm sneaky. 🙂 And it's not like I'm lying about it.... I just tell him I made a drink for him!

My acne was on my face. It wasn't very bad, but I suddenly started getting blemishes on my chin that were leaving behind scars. With the smoothies, I haven't gotten a single one of those blemishes... except 1, and that's because over a two week period, I barely did any smoothies - I got busy and lazy. I notice that whenever I go a few days without them, I'll start getting some small bumps again, but they heal up and go away quickly - that's my wake up call - I won't ever go two weeks again - I learned from that lesson! For me, I know for sure that it's the smoothies that make the difference in my skin, because I've tested it out too many times by stopping for a few days, and my acne always slowly returns...

You could add broccoli and see if you liked it, but I don't think it's necessary. You should get plenty of what you need with the leafy greens. 🙂

What do you think about adding some soy protein powder to it... think that'd be gross? I always add it into my fruit-only smoothies, but I'm making those with yoghurt.

Thanks for the post! Great stuff!

You're welcome, and I'm glad you tried a smoothie! I'm not a big fan of isolated soy protein - too processed. I would instead add some seeds, like sunflower or sesame. 🙂

I put an apple a pear some frozen pineapple juice and lettuce (I cant remember what its called, romaine or something?) And yes it did turn brown after about two minutes.

But ill try again, maybe try less lettuce this time.

I'm happy you're going to try again. 🙂 Yes, I'd try just a small handful this time. Both romaine and especially spinach are very mild in flavor - I'd start out with raw spinach. Let me know how it goes!

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 08/08/2006 1:31 am

Godam ppl cant even drink smoothies lol...god help if you ever take P and B shakes lol.

MemberMember
(@annaa)

Posted : 08/08/2006 10:55 am

I forgot to thank you the last time for your answers so here is a dubble thank you!! Thank you thank you!

I had the same thing with those pimples who live scars on the skin. In the beginning I only had on my forehead, these tiny small bumps that you‚´ve probably seen on someone (some people on this forum have gotten rid of these kind of acne by juicing carrots!). But then all of a sudden I started getting on my cheeks and they left marks. I‚´m realy panicing about those! I‚´ve also had some acne on my back the whole time.

I think your doing a real good thing for your brother!! And again funny....:)

MemberMember
(@no-im-amy)

Posted : 08/08/2006 10:55 am

Godam ppl cant even drink smoothies lol...god help if you ever take P and B shakes lol.

I actually made a cleansing drink yesterday.

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 08/08/2006 10:58 am

Cool, did it taste nice? What did you use?

MemberMember
(@no-im-amy)

Posted : 08/08/2006 11:04 am

Yeah it did.

I used: water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup or else I added honey ( I hope I didn't screw it up), and cayenne pepper.

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 08/08/2006 12:41 pm

I forgot to thank you the last time for your answers so here is a dubble thank you!! Thank you thank you!

...I started getting on my cheeks and they left marks. IAm realy panicing about those!

You're welcome! 🙂 I was concerned too when my skin started scarring, because I knew that if it continued, my skin would be really scarred up in just a couple of years. Every blemish left behind a scar, but those blemishes that were leaving scars never show up anymore as long as I stay faithful to the smoothies! I really hope the smoothies will work for you!! I will answer any questions you have. Give it a good 6 weeks, and I think you'll see them go away. In the meantime, try using a salicylic acid solution on your new blemishes, as that exfoliates deep down and will help prevent new scarring. You may also want to supplement with MSM. Also, Retin-A is supposed to help keep new scars from forming and can help old scars to look better. Visit www.paulabegoun.com for a skin care expert's view on Retin-A, acne, etc.

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 08/08/2006 12:46 pm

Yeah it did.

I used: water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup or else I added honey ( I hope I didn't screw it up), and cayenne pepper.

This seems a very nice mix, not going overboard on the syrup, id use htis sparingly but if it works run with it.

MemberMember
(@pink126)

Posted : 08/08/2006 5:28 pm

Independent Thinker, thanks for this recipe. I drink a glass of this everyday and I love the taste! I feel great too! My skin has already cleared but this veggie smoothing helps my skin glow! I feel good knowing i'm getting my daily veggies and fruits in one glass! I usually use 2 cups leafy greens, 1 apple, 1 peach, some blubeberries, carrots, honey for sweetness and water. It tastes great! I highly recommend it.

Thanks Independent thinker!

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 08/08/2006 5:30 pm

Independent Thinker, thanks for this recipe. I drink a glass of this everyday and I love the taste! I feel great too! My skin has already cleared but this veggie smoothing helps my skin glow! I feel good knowing i'm getting my daily veggies and fruits in one glass! I usually use 2 cups leafy greens, 1 apple, 1 peach, some blubeberries, carrots, honey for sweetness and water. It tastes great! I highly recommend it.

Thanks Independent thinker!

You're welcome, and thanks so much for sharing with us your experience with having already been doing this for a while!! Your recipe sounds great!! You're getting a great serving of greens and fruit everyday!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/09/2006 12:18 pm

I started making them this morning! And man, for my first smoothie, it was GOOD!

I used 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 cup frozen blueberries, a large spoonful of organic peanut butter, one large spoonful of lowfat organic unsweetened yogurt, 1 and 1/3 cup spinach, 3 cups green tea, a handful of unsweetened coconut flakes, honey, and cinnamon. It was soooo good! Thanks so much for the idea independent thinker!

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 08/09/2006 12:42 pm

I started making them this morning! And man, for my first smoothie, it was GOOD!

I used 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 cup frozen blueberries, a large spoonful of organic peanut butter, one large spoonful of lowfat organic unsweetened yogurt, 1 and 1/3 cup spinach, 3 cups green tea, a handful of unsweetened coconut flakes, honey, and cinnamon. It was soooo good! Thanks so much for the idea independent thinker!

Wow!!! What great ideas you came up with for your smoothie!! Love the peanut butter idea, the yogurt, the green tea and the coconut flakes!! I'm starting a 6 Week Green Smoothie Challenge next Monday over at the Pioneer Thinking boards - feel free to join us! 🙂 http://www.pioneerthinking.com/cgi-bin/mb/...;num=1154902025

MemberMember
(@necromancer)

Posted : 08/09/2006 2:47 pm

This sounds like a gigantic acne bomb. I think this is the worst idea of for curing acne. Peanut butter alone is terrible for acne. Then you combine it will all this other sugar like honey and cinnamon??? If you have acne, this drink that you drink daily is the reason why. Stick with water.

MemberMember
(@no-im-amy)

Posted : 08/09/2006 2:53 pm

Any yogurt isn't a good idea for acne either.

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 08/09/2006 2:54 pm

This sounds like a gigantic acne bomb. I think this is the worst idea of for curing acne. Peanut butter alone is terrible for acne. Then you combine it will all this other sugar like honey and cinnamon??? If you have acne, this drink that you drink daily is the reason why. Stick with water.

I've been doing the green smoothies for several months now. I "only" used fruit, frozen fruit, greens and water. Lately though, I've been adding some other things like cinnamon and honey - honey is full of nutrition, but yes, it should be used sparingly. I find though that as long as I drink my green smoothies everyday, I can eat whatever I want - the blemishes that plagued me before are gone - they never, ever show up as long as I stay consistent with the smoothies. So "There is Hope" keep making your smoothies however you like them!! The main thing is that you're getting your greens in. 🙂 Necromancer, I realize you're just trying to help, but trust me, water alone will not keep acne away the way leafy greens do! You can't say whether or not the green smoothies will work unless you yourself have given them a good try, so why not try them yourself? You can always leave out the additives that you think promote acne.

MemberMember
(@necromancer)

Posted : 08/09/2006 2:57 pm

I've been doing the green smoothies for several months now. I "only" used fruit, frozen fruit, greens and water. Lately though, I've been adding some other things like cinnamon and honey - honey is full of nutrition, but yes, it should be used sparingly. I find though that as long as I drink my green smoothies everyday, I can eat whatever I want - the blemishes that plaqued me before are gone - they never, ever show up as long as I stay consistent with the smoothies. So "There is Hope" keep making your smoothies however you like them!! The main thing is that you're getting your greens in. 🙂 Necromancer, I realize you're just trying to help, but trust me, water alone will not keep acne away the way leafy greens do! You can't save whether or not the green smoothies will work unless you yourself have given them a good try, so why not try them yourself? You can always leave out the additives that you think promote acne.

How do you make these green smoothies? Do you just add a bunch of canned vegetables in a blender and mix. I am capable of eating pretty nasty things as long as they are healthy. I should be on Fear Factor. Lay it on me!!!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/09/2006 3:07 pm

Actually, the things you said to be an "acne bomb" are actually quite good for you in SMALL QUANTITIES and are great thickeners for the smoothie. I don't eat any other dairy other than organic low-fat yogurt, whitch it full of good bateria, the kind that can help fight acne! Peanut oil is one of the good oils as well, like coconut oil and olive oil. Again, all things in moderation. As for the coconut flakes, you should do your research, because coconut flesh and oil are naturally anti-fungal and anti-baterial. Also boosts your metabolism! Cinnamon without sugar is good for you. Narual anti-biotic and metabolism booster. And yes, honey may not be the best thing, but its a whole heck of a lot better as a all-natural sweetener than sugar or splenda or something like that!

MemberMember
(@necromancer)

Posted : 08/09/2006 3:23 pm

Actually, the things you said to be an "acne bomb" are actually quite good for you in SMALL QUANTITIES and are great thickeners for the smoothie. I don't eat any other dairy other than organic low-fat yogurt, whitch it full of good bateria, the kind that can help fight acne! Peanut oil is one of the good oils as well, like coconut oil and olive oil. Again, all things in moderation. As for the coconut flakes, you should do your research, because coconut flesh and oil are naturally anti-fungal and anti-baterial. Also boosts your metabolism! Cinnamon without sugar is good for you. Narual anti-biotic and metabolism booster. And yes, honey may not be the best thing, but its a whole heck of a lot better as a all-natural sweetener than sugar or splenda or something like that!

What's wrong with eating oatmeal and raw canned tuna for breakfast?

😯

MemberMember
(@annaa)

Posted : 08/09/2006 6:28 pm

Thanks again Independent thinker! I really want to try the smoothies and I want to try carrot juice too. But IAAm in my summer house and I donAAt have a blender here (and a juicer I donAAt own at all) . So I have to wait. But maby I could buy some "green" pills and try while I wait.

As for the food discussion I think itAAs importent to remember that it seams to be different for everyone. A couple of people on this forum got clear from drinking warm mater with honey every day. And one girl got clear fron just eating youghurt with good culture. Another woman realised that fibers actually made her break out and she got clear when she ate real fat food (and I donAAt mean fat like omega 3) and cut out all fibers.

You just have to figure out whatAAs right for you. But that doesnAAt seam to be the easiesd thing! Not for me anyway....

MemberMember
(@annaa)

Posted : 08/09/2006 6:40 pm

Oh, Independent T! I came up with one more question:)! I just reread your first post and saw that you put flax oil in your smoothies or take it before you drink. Are yous sure that the fat isnAAt what have made you clear? Did you continue taking the oil those two weeks? Because A LOT of people get clear from just taking a spoon of flax oil or some other good oil (like fish oil or primerose oil). Just to be sure! Oil didnAAt work for me.

MemberMember
(@legend)

Posted : 08/09/2006 6:45 pm

Interesting. I'm pretty good with smoothies for bulking, but I'm on a cut phase and this sounds interesting.