Notifications
Clear all

*`*~FABULOUS Skin Food (GREEN SMOOTHIES)~*`*

MemberMember
(@allrighty)

Posted : 01/27/2012 11:45 pm

Phresh sounds good....had my first green smoothie today, it was alittle thick but I enjoyed it alot.

MemberMember
(@alexisc)

Posted : 01/28/2012 12:51 am

My usual is carrots, beets, spinach, kale, mixed berries, coconut water and coconut milk. Coconut milk/coconut water makes it less thick and more creamy and also adds some sweetness. You will get hooked on green smoothies once you get the hang of making them. SO DELICIOUS!

MemberMember
(@allrighty)

Posted : 01/28/2012 1:46 am

r they for clear skin or just healthy well being?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/28/2012 4:19 pm

So u can axctually eat the tea leaves??

Interesting

yeah, you can, but that isn't what i was referring to. I used the beverage made by steeping leaves in water and then in the case of loose tea, straining it.

But I have added some of the hibiscus flowers leftover after making tea to my smoothies before.

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 01/30/2012 12:07 pm

thisisnothollywood, I have merged your green smoothie topic with the existing one.

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 02/04/2012 8:01 pm

Oh dear, though I'm following this topic, I'm not getting any alerts!! Thank you to those of you who helped with questions!

Tunnelvisionary,

How are your smoothies now? Have you figured out a way to make them more palatable? You got some excellent tips, so hopefully something worked out for you. You'll find too that the more you experiment, then more you'll find combinations you really like, and pretty soon, making a delicious smoothie will be no problem at all!

dmb41,

Thank you for sharing, and glad you're on board the green smoothie train! :)

Ukulala,

Thanks for sharing your recipe! :)

thisisnothollywood,

Great idea starting a recipe thread! :) How are you liking your smoothies?

MemberMember
(@idolator)

Posted : 02/12/2012 5:20 pm

This sounds amazing! I'm definitely going to give this a try, but how much should you drink of the smoothie per day?

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 02/12/2012 8:03 pm

I always tell people to try to get two large handfuls of greens in their smoothies a day. If you can do more, great! You might start out with a smaller amount though and then work up as your taste buds adapt. Spinach is mild in flavor and great to start with! :)

MemberMember
(@idolator)

Posted : 02/13/2012 6:51 am

I always tell people to try to get two large handfuls of greens in their smoothies a day. If you can do more, great! You might start out with a smaller amount though and then work up as your taste buds adapt. Spinach is mild in flavor and great to start with! smile.png

Thanks a lot! I think I asked my question wrong though, haha, my bad 😛 I meant to ask how big of a serving of a smoothie that I should drink a day? Like one glass? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 02/13/2012 11:33 am

haha, you're fine! :) The size of the glass can depend on how much water you add, so I like to focus on how many greens to get, because that's most important. Try to get in at least 1-2 servings of fruit as well, because the fiber is also important. When I first starting drinking green smoothies, I averaged 4 cups a day, but when I started adding more greens and less water/fruit - it went down to 2-3 cups.

MemberMember
(@vinchenzo)

Posted : 02/19/2012 1:44 am

I've been making some green smoothies for a while now and today I wanted something chocolatey so I added some cocoa powder. I read somewhere about akali being used to make it or something and that it can cause acne. Anyone want to help clear this up?

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 02/19/2012 9:55 pm

Vinchenzo, I love your avatar!!!!! Beautiful!! It's been a while since I've read about this, but I know there are Dutch-processed cocoa powders using alkali and non-Dutch processed cocoa (non-alkali). You want to get the non-Dutch processed if you can. Rapunzel is what I use, and it has really great flavor as well. I love adding cocoa to smoothies!! Really great with mango, bananas, strawberries, raspberries, and coconut milk (but not necessarily all at once!! ha!). :)

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 03/07/2012 3:30 pm

My digestion is at an all time low at the moment and i'm thinking of giving green smoothies another go. For quite a while i have been eating lots of fruit and im not sure it really helps with my digestion, the last few times i have tried smoothies my stomach didn't feel great and i always sneeze after them. Im wondering if it was due to the fruit so i was just wondering what are some good flavoured smoothies which don't contain any fruit.

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 03/07/2012 3:35 pm

Paul,

The smoothies can definitely help with digestion issues--specifically with increasing hydrochloric acid. You can definitely make all vegetable-based smoothies. You might throw in some carrots to help sweeten the greens and some lemon juice as well. You could try carrots, spinach, cucumber, and lemon juice, for example. You can also blend in some canned tomatoes which would help give more of a tomato juice flavor.

If you like vegetable soups, you can blend up some greens with your soup base.

Hope this helps. :)

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 03/07/2012 5:33 pm

Paul,

The smoothies can definitely help with digestion issues--specifically with increasing hydrochloric acid. You can definitely make all vegetable-based smoothies. You might throw in some carrots to help sweeten the greens and some lemon juice as well. You could try carrots, spinach, cucumber, and lemon juice, for example. You can also blend in some canned tomatoes which would help give more of a tomato juice flavor.

If you like vegetable soups, you can blend up some greens with your soup base.

Hope this helps. smile.png

Thanks, i shall give one a try in the morning to see how i get along smile.png

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 03/07/2012 5:34 pm

Yay!! Sounds good Paul--would love to know how it goes! :)

MemberMember
(@bittersweet098)

Posted : 03/16/2012 7:39 pm

XX

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 03/16/2012 10:14 pm

Breanna,

So glad you enjoy green smoothies! I have bought many bunches of fresh collards and never remember them smelling gross--just very fresh, like greens. I wonder if there might be some rotten leaves hidden in the bunch?

MemberMember
(@bittersweet098)

Posted : 03/16/2012 10:44 pm

XX

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 03/16/2012 10:48 pm

That's very odd. Makes you wonder what happened to them before they got bagged! :o

MemberMember
(@bittersweet098)

Posted : 03/17/2012 10:37 pm

XX

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 03/18/2012 12:41 am

No apologies needed for questions! :) Great idea about the aloe! I think I'm too late in replying here to help, but I would say to go easy--I haven't tried it, but too much aloe from the actual plant could cause digestive issues from what I have read. I would definitely refrigerate the remainder. Lilly of the Valley is supposed to be a good brand of aloe if you're wanting to add some to your smoothies, which would be an excellent idea (soo great for your digestive health, among other things)--though, you may just want to drink it separately, because it might make your entire smoothie taste funky. haha

MemberMember
(@bittersweet098)

Posted : 03/18/2012 1:18 am

XX

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 03/18/2012 1:50 pm

You are very welcome Breanna! :)

MemberMember
(@land)

Posted : 03/18/2012 9:56 pm

could anyone recommend a valuable blender that will do the trick for these smoothies?

thanks.

looking to spend under 150