Notifications
Clear all

This Website Sure Isn't What It Used To Be

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 03/19/2014 9:56 pm

in my view acne is mostly hormonal.

girls started getting their periods at abnormal age. this didn't happen in my parents and grandparents' times.

but i don't blame testosterone or dht for acne, it's more complex.

Please go to the information section of acne.org, it lists that acne is indeed a genetic disease. Hormones just make the skin "oily" - they don't cause acne directly. What really makes acne happen is the way the pores clog from within (creating a plug).

The average age of menstruation has not changed that much over 100 years in concerns for "whites" (african american girls are a different story) it is still around 12-14 years old - menstruating before age twelve is rare among caucasions.

MemberMember
(@sdpinkas)

Posted : 03/19/2014 10:17 pm

I have a biology degree and I'm about to finish my masters in genetics but yeah, I'm sure you know better than I do.

Where did you achieve that? Degrassi jr. high???

I bet you get most of your info on "genetics" from the batsh*t crazy poster Alternavista here on acne.org that claims that her lifelong cystic acne was entirely induced by oranges... **gasp**.

No, genetics can not be turned off and on at will like this woman and the quack doctors claim, we do not hold the "power" over our genes like we think.

I'm sorry but your above comment seemed pretty judgmental and negative to me. And yes, your diet absolutely affects your skin. Cutting out over refined carbs (white pastas, white breads) and dairy can and has affected some peoples skin as people have reactions to gluten and lactose. Your environment does affect your skin. Pollution, dirt and grime and the stress of your living environment absolutely triggers breakouts. It is not simply genetics. My mother and father both have had clear skin their childhood, but I do not.

Also, If acne isn't a hormonal imbalance, than explain to me why I had perfectly clear skin when I was on birth control, and now, off the pill, I have deep painful cystic acne.

The truth is, no one knows the cause of acne, as it is different for everyone. Everything can (not does) affect your acne, its simply how your individual body deals with it. It's all subjective.

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 03/19/2014 10:37 pm

I have a biology degree and I'm about to finish my masters in genetics but yeah, I'm sure you know better than I do.

I bet you get most of your info on "genetics" from the batsh*t crazy poster Alternavista here on acne.org that claims that her lifelong cystic acne was entirely induced by oranges... **gasp**.

No, genetics can not be turned off and on at will like this woman and the quack doctors claim, we do not hold the "power" over our genes like we think.

I'm sorry but your above comment seemed pretty judgmental and negative to me. And yes, your diet absolutely affects your skin. Cutting out over refined carbs (white pastas, white breads) and dairy can and has affected some peoples skin as people have reactions to gluten and lactose. Your environment does affect your skin. Pollution, dirt and grime and the stress of your living environment absolutely triggers breakouts. It is not simply genetics. My mother and father both have had clear skin their childhood, but I do not.

Also, If acne isn't a hormonal imbalance, than explain to me why I had perfectly clear skin when I was on birth control, and now, off the pill, I have deep painful cystic acne.

The truth is, no one knows the cause of acne, as it is different for everyone. Everything can (not does) affect your acne, its simply how your individual body deals with it. It's all subjective.

Most acne patients have hormones within the normal range, just with INCREASED senstivity. Diet does not affect the skin in the least, neither does pollution dirt and grime.

Now take your southern butt back to the trailer park and be gone "YA'LL".

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/19/2014 11:20 pm

Most acne patients have hormones within the normal range, just with INCREASED senstivity. Diet does not affect the skin in the least, neither does pollution dirt and grime.

Are you a troll bubbles55? Why are you completely dismissing the research and experiences of many people on here which suggest that diet can affect acne?

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 03/19/2014 11:59 pm

Are you a troll bubbles55? Why are you completely dismissing the research and experiences of many people on here which suggest that diet can affect acne?

The overwhelming majority of dermatologists assert there is zero correlation between acne and diet, how on earth can you refute that?

The majority of people on this site are dumb teenagers that assume the bag of cheetos they had the day before gave them "cystic acne the next day".

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 03/20/2014 12:47 am

The overwhelming majority of dermatologists assert there is zero correlation between acne and diet, how on earth can you refute that?

The majority of people on this site are dumb teenagers that assume the bag of cheetos they had the day before gave them "cystic acne the next day".

although i distrust "the power of nature" and generally don't believe diet can heal some medical issue, i can predict that if i were to drink wine and eat cake and lots of bread/pasta i will get cysts after ~36hours. i've tested this over and over, especially around my birthdays/closed ones' birthdays.

BUT i've always separated whiteheads from cysts. the best diet i had removed almost all of red/inflamed acne, but did absolutely nothing for my whiteheads.

this is what i don't like about bp. it keeps inflamation down (killing some P. acnes bacteria) so there's no more visible acne, but acne is still there! (as microcomedones)

so yes, diet does not give you acne, it only makes it inflamed and more visible.

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 03/20/2014 1:29 am

in my view acne is mostly hormonal.

girls started getting their periods at abnormal age. this didn't happen in my parents and grandparents' times.

but i don't blame testosterone or dht for acne, it's more complex.

Please go to the information section of acne.org, it lists that acne is indeed a genetic disease. Hormones just make the skin "oily" - they don't cause acne directly. What really makes acne happen is the way the pores clog from within (creating a plug).

The average age of menstruation has not changed that much over 100 years in concerns for "whites" (african american girls are a different story) it is still around 12-14 years old - menstruating before age twelve is rare among caucasions.

i read it and it doesn't say that pore cloging from within is genetic. you put that part in.

but it does say that "Acne is at least in part a hormonal disease".

ps. if you think in genetic terms you are pretty much dead meat in my view. i'm not referring necessarily to acne here, but in general. thinking from a genetic perspective will make you powerless, pointless, inhuman, injust, cruel, irresponsible as a parent, and the list goes on..

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/20/2014 5:31 am

An increasing number of dermatologists are now acknowledging there is a connection because of the new findings from scientific research. The people conducting the research are not "dumb teenagers." Btw, you are the one saying this site has gotten more negative, but you're the one referring to the majority as "dumb teenagers." There are plenty of teenagers on here, but I do not think they are dumb. There are also plenty of adults that are also not dumb and are noticing that diet affects their acne.

MemberMember
(@sdpinkas)

Posted : 03/20/2014 6:12 am

Hahah... again another negative, and this time politically incorrect comment.

I'm from Maryland, I've lived in SC for 9 years, I don't live in a trailer park, and I've never said the word "Ya'll" in my life. And by the way, Canadians make up more than 60% of our tourism here in Myrtle Beach during the off season (I have my BS in Resort Tourism Management, and Culinary).

As much as you'd like to think you know everything there is about acne, I assure you, you don't. And I, by no means, am saying that I do.

This post is ridiculous, bubbles55 is clearly looking for some attention, or recognition that he/she is more educated than all of us "dumb teenagers", considering that you've been here since '05. It's not in the least bit constructive, or helpful. Which is why I'm not going to reply to anything you say thereafter, because your negativity, and pompous way of thinking, is not worth my time.

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 03/20/2014 12:21 pm

Hahah... again another negative, and this time politically incorrect comment.

I'm from Maryland, I've lived in SC for 9 years, I don't live in a trailer park, and I've never said the word "Ya'll" in my life. And by the way, Canadians make up more than 60% of our tourism here in Myrtle Beach during the off season (I have my BS in Resort Tourism Management, and Culinary).

As much as you'd like to think you know everything there is about acne, I assure you, you don't. And I, by no means, am saying that I do.

This post is ridiculous, bubbles55 is clearly looking for some attention, or recognition that he/she is more educated than all of us "dumb teenagers", considering that you've been here since '05. It's not in the least bit constructive, or helpful. Which is why I'm not going to reply to anything you say thereafter, because your negativity, and pompous way of thinking, is not worth my time.

I know more about acne than any person on the planet. I have studied it for years and know exactly what it is: a genetic disease. And every dermatologist, professor and endocrinologist I've ever talked to shares the same opinion - not to mention the owner and founder of this website Daniel Kern asserts that acne is genetic. You can't negate this with quack theories, it's been scientifically proven by twin studies that acne is indeed genetic and that 80% of our acne severity is uninfluenced by environment.

Here's just one of the studies:

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v119/n6/full/5603340a.html

You can not "turn off" an acne gene(s) with exceptional diet or healthy living as acne as scientifically proven is independent from lifestyle, Acne is uninfluenced by envioronmental factors and is inborn. This is a genetic disease of the pilosebaceous unit first and foremost that can persist through out a persons entire life until the cusp of old age. The notion of "growing out of acne" by a certain age is incorrect as well

The future of acne treatment lies in gene therapy for this very reason.

MemberMember
(@monicalovesben)

Posted : 03/21/2014 7:30 pm

This is darkheart on a new account everybody.

But, she does make a good point about how it can be hurtful when someone blames your diet from your acne. No, it's your genes to blame

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/21/2014 7:54 pm

I've held this back for a while but I have to say this...

Okay, I remember posting here back in 2005 when I was 15 years old and it seemed acne.org was such a positive place for people dealing with active acne looking for support. Back then people were less judgemental and everyone seemed to (relatively) get along.

Now this websites mentality has changed, there is a fanatical push on obsessively healthy diet here as a "cure" for acne and a resonating "blame the victim" mentality which results in constant bickering. There are people being chastised by other members for taking accutane and critiqued for their diet/lifestyle. There are members leaving because they can't take the negativity.

What happened here? Does anyone else who has been around this web community for a while recognize what went wrong here.

I came across acne.org right around 2007. Granted, I was an occasional visitor, but I do recall the taurine, B-complex supplement and liver detoxing fads.

I suspect that the alternative medicine and "natural is good" notions spread very quickly right after the acai berry and green tea fads during that time. That's when online advertising became more sophisticated and prevalent. Many of the "high-tech" and "revolutionary" advertising companies that are now ubiquitous either started 2007-2008 or experienced massive growth.

The "natural, DIY is best" mentality is rife in the other skin care forums too. It really doesn't help that you can get a lot of stuff on Amazon and eBay, particularly with dangerous chemical peels.

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 03/21/2014 8:37 pm

Okay, I remember posting here back in 2005 when I was 15 years old and it seemed acne.org was such a positive place for people dealing with active acne looking for support. Back then people were less judgemental and everyone seemed to (relatively) get along.

Now this websites mentality has changed, there is a fanatical push on obsessively healthy diet here as a "cure" for acne and a resonating "blame the victim" mentality which results in constant bickering. There are people being chastised by other members for taking accutane and critiqued for their diet/lifestyle. There are members leaving because they can't take the negativity.

What happened here? Does anyone else who has been around this web community for a while recognize what went wrong here.

I came across acne.org right around 2007. Granted, I was an occasional visitor, but I do recall the taurine, B-complex supplement and liver detoxing fads.

I suspect that the alternative medicine and "natural is good" notions spread very quickly right after the acai berry and green tea fads during that time. That's when online advertising became more sophisticated and prevalent. Many of the "high-tech" and "revolutionary" advertising companies that are now ubiquitous either started 2007-2008 or experienced massive growth.

The "natural, DIY is best" mentality is rife in the other skin care forums too. It really doesn't help that you can get a lot of stuff on Amazon and eBay, particularly with dangerous chemical peels.

I definitely see an enormous change over the last nine years. Before there was much more logical posts in regards to the skin response to p.acnes and the proposal of a vaccine for inflammatory acne. Now the mentality has sadly switched over to "natural is best, government is evil!" ect. - yet we're no closer to finding a "cure" or more effective treatments for acne.

**edit** I do remember the green tea/herbal laxative colon cleansing fad around 2006 on these forums but it was never this aggressive. Now we have minimally educated people claiming that acne is self induced and that genes can be turned "on" and "off" like a light switch with good eating. They also (as you read earlier) are claiming that all cancer can be cured and prevented entirely with herbs, rick simpson oil and a rawfood diet.

I wholeheartedly wish there was more moderation on this website in regards to the hollistic forum (that seems to be spilling over into practically every section) so these people wouldn't have so much power.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/21/2014 9:44 pm

This is darkheart on a new account everybody.

But, she does make a good point about how it can be hurtful when someone blames your diet from your acne. No, it's your genes to blame

I agree that poor diet is definitely not the cause of acne. There are some people who eat horribly and have beautiful skin. That doesn't mean that diet changes can't help some people improve their acne though.

I definitely see an enormous change over the last nine years. Before there was much more logical posts in regards to the skin response to p.acnes and the proposal of a vaccine for inflammatory acne. Now the mentality has sadly switched over to "natural is best, government is evil!" ect. - yet we're no closer to finding a "cure" or more effective treatments for acne.

**edit** I do remember the green tea/herbal laxative colon cleansing fad around 2006 on these forums but it was never this aggressive. Now we have minimally educated people claiming that acne is self induced and that genes can be turned "on" and "off" like a light switch with good eating. They also (as you read earlier) are claiming that all cancer can be cured and prevented entirely with herbs, rick simpson oil and a rawfood diet.

I wholeheartedly wish there was more moderation on this website in regards to the hollistic forum (that seems to be spilling over into practically every section) so these people wouldn't have so much power.

I don't think anyone here has more power than others.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/21/2014 10:18 pm

I think the holistic advocates got more aggressive lately, especially when others started questioning more of it.

Yeah, I do agree more on the moderation part. I've read post advocating outright dangerous nonsense. Could be trolling, sure, but there should be a line drawn somewhere.

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 03/21/2014 10:50 pm

I think the holistic advocates got more aggressive lately, especially when others started questioning more of it.

Yeah, I do agree more on the moderation part. I've read post advocating outright dangerous nonsense. Could be trolling, sure, but there should be a line drawn somewhere.

Not to mention all their bold and scientifically unfounded claims. For example "leaky gut"? - that's the oldest quack diagnosis in the book.

Here's a website that lists made-up diagnosis quack doctors commonly give to patients

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/fad.html

Recognize any of them? I see leaky gut, candida, adrenal fatigue, imaginary food allergies. discussed at length on acne.org as "real conditions". So many people lack natural skepticism.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 03/22/2014 2:27 am

Acne is totally a genetic disease. Coming from my old dermatologist (VERY smart man) said so himself. All acne is genetic.

Well you can believe what you wish, but from the literature i've reviewed this hasn't turned out to be true or proven. Smart man or not its not "all" genetic. And in school this is hardly the case as nurses are taught when it comes to educating clients about their aliments such acne.

The website has changed, the community has grown far to big, people have embraced the success of others to the extreme causing the crusade for a "cure" to continue instead of actually looking at living and managing.Old additives of less is more are thrown out the window with stupid stunts of consuming megadoses of vitamins, buying expensive products, conducting endless research, playing doctor, starting "new diets"- all to end their misery right now.Many come to hear expressing their stories for ways to cope and others abuse that by expressing every detail, exaggerating, then blame acne as the cause for the whole life's misery.

And others follow...

I've read these forums since 2007. A lot has changed and not for the better.

Not to mention all their bold and scientifically unfounded claims. For example "leaky gut"? - that's the oldest quack diagnosis in the book.

Here's a website that lists made-up diagnosis quack doctors commonly give to patients

Recognize any of them? I see leaky gut, candida, adrenal fatigue, imaginary food allergies. discussed at length on acne.org as "real conditions". So many people lack natural skepticism.

Exactly. This brings about some pretty crazy stuff. The sad part is it works.. but not for the reasons the person may claim, but provides a damn good background and explanation which convinces many people whom do not question the really legitimacy of it. Many also make their own experiments but then end up adding in extra variables like "then i added x,y, z vitamins, exercised, eliminated foods known to cause acne or allergic reactions" and now im cured. Basing the claim off some special diet or idea when most of the time its not even true. Reminds me craze to eat alkaline foods in order to make your body more basic than acidic. The body is already basic at a pH of 7.35-7.45 and has EFFECTIVE buffers to counteract acid/base imbalances. Although, eating alkaline foods helps with certain other medical conditions such as certain types of kidney stones and interstitial cystitis.

The point is people promote crap really. Not all but from time to time i get a good laugh on this site on whats new.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/24/2014 1:30 am

Yep: leaky gut, toxin overload, adrenal fatigue, estrogen dominance (what does that even mean?), progesterone deficiency, IgG food allergies/intolerances, blood sugar spikes causing/contributing to acne...it's just insane. The basics in biology and chemistry escapes a lot of people here. Granted, some of them are under 16, but you'd think that someone who took biology in high school or college would remember this stuff. Mention anything about epithelial cells and a lot of people's eyes would glaze over. Epithelial cells were covered in my biology class--not as much as anatomy, though.

And you're right about lacking skepticism. A part of that originates from not having enough education/remembering facts, and another to desperation.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/24/2014 7:23 pm

Acne is totally a genetic disease. Coming from my old dermatologist (VERY smart man) said so himself. All acne is genetic.

Well you can believe what you wish, but from the literature i've reviewed this hasn't turned out to be true or proven. Smart man or not its not "all" genetic. And in school this is hardly the case as nurses are taught when it comes to educating clients about their aliments such acne.

The website has changed, the community has grown far to big, people have embraced the success of others to the extreme causing the crusade for a "cure" to continue instead of actually looking at living and managing.Old additives of less is more are thrown out the window with stupid stunts of consuming megadoses of vitamins, buying expensive products, conducting endless research, playing doctor, starting "new diets"- all to end their misery right now.Many come to hear expressing their stories for ways to cope and others abuse that by expressing every detail, exaggerating, then blame acne as the cause for the whole life's misery.

And others follow...

I've read these forums since 2007. A lot has changed and not for the better.

>

Exactly. This brings about some pretty crazy stuff. The sad part is it works.. but not for the reasons the person may claim, but provides a damn good background and explanation which convinces many people whom do not question the really legitimacy of it. Many also make their own experiments but then end up adding in extra variables like "then i added x,y, z vitamins, exercised, eliminated foods known to cause acne or allergic reactions" and now im cured. Basing the claim off some special diet or idea when most of the time its not even true. Reminds me craze to eat alkaline foods in order to make your body more basic than acidic. The body is already basic at a pH of 7.35-7.45 and has EFFECTIVE buffers to counteract acid/base imbalances. Although, eating alkaline foods helps with certain other medical conditions such as certain types of kidney stones and interstitial cystitis.

The point is people promote crap really. Not all but from time to time i get a good laugh on this site on whats new.

Yep, and if pH greatly affected the normal body and threw it into chaos like some insinuate, we'd be dead.

MemberMember
(@apple-blossom)

Posted : 03/25/2014 6:51 am

I don't think anyone is arguing that we can turn our genes on and off "like a light switch" by making lifestyle changes. I was simply stating that gene expression and environment are not independent.

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 03/25/2014 3:54 pm

I don't think anyone is arguing that we can turn our genes on and off "like a light switch" by making lifestyle changes. I was simply stating that gene expression and environment are not independent.

You're a young girl - I'm assuming 21-22 based on your picture? you have yet still a lot to learn. What you're taught in those college classes are just purported theories most of the time and not always scientifically accurate. Canadian universities are unfortunately not the best either, which is not surprising as Canada is a very mediocre country.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/25/2014 7:45 pm

You're a young girl - I'm assuming 21-22 based on your picture? you have yet still a lot to learn. What you're taught in those college classes are just purported theories most of the time and not always scientifically accurate. Canadian universities are unfortunately not the best either, which is not surprising as Canada is a very mediocre country.

Aren't you around the same age?

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 03/25/2014 9:58 pm

I'll be 25 this year. Early 20's and mid 20's are honestly a world a way.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/25/2014 10:25 pm

I'll be 25 this year. Early 20's and mid 20's are honestly a world a way.

22 really doesn't seem that far off from 25 to me.

MemberMember
(@ilovemesomevanity)

Posted : 03/25/2014 10:50 pm

lots of passive aggression in this thread. why cant everyone have their own opinions?