Notifications
Clear all

Overwhelming Negativity In This Section

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/23/2013 1:44 pm

What's up with this "Cancer vs Acne" warfare? Is it me who kindled the fire? I already surrendered...I was besieged :o

MemberMember
(@mrnegative)

Posted : 06/23/2013 2:42 pm

This is all so ridiculous. I propose we stop the "Cancer vs. Acne" debate. No one will really benefit from this discussion in the end. I apologize for my part in sparking the fire.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 06/23/2013 3:30 pm

1stly, am sorry ur father was diagnosed with cancer and am glad he's treated.

my regards to him.

to u,

ever heard of the word relapse?its not uncommon even though its not a must.

ever heard about genetical tendency of carcinoma?

anyway,i will not react anymore on this comparison.the comparison is started and thats why we respond and then suddenly one says its too varied so its pointless to compare.

i will say one thing - i am not here to side anyone or support anybody(no,not even mrnegative).i respond to statements made(not even the whole posts).

i will just say,please take care of his diet and lifestyle.

a good living can switch on or off the genetic setups.

so i've heard.

I don't think anyone would pick having ANY sort of cancer over acne, even if it is caught early and effectively treated. Maybe that's delusional? I don't know.

My dad had the most common kind of cancer, basal cell carcinoma. He had to apply a cream for several weeks until it was gone. If that didn't work he would have had the cancer either cut out or frozen off with a chemical. I know we like to associate cancer with pain, suffering and death, but do you really believe that having an easily treatable little bump on your skin is worse than having a hundred treatment-resistant bumps and blackheads all over your face for a decade and then having severe scarring for the rest of your life?

also the way its looked at is different if you have cancer they make braclets,t-shirts and people look up to you because your fighting it, while with severe acne you get picked on,laughed at even tho your trying your best to get rid of it. people show no sympathy for acne sufferes we are just disgusting freaks.

huh?

thats why u would choose cancer over acne?

because people will make t shirts and look up to u?

anyway,i am done.

thank u guys.

Your ignorance saddens me, If thats the assumption you made from my post all i have to say is wow.

MemberMember
(@cyberpile)

Posted : 06/23/2013 4:07 pm

I don't think anyone would pick having ANY sort of cancer over acne, even if it is caught early and effectively treated. Maybe that's delusional? I don't know.

My dad had the most common kind of cancer, basal cell carcinoma. He had to apply a cream for several weeks until it was gone. If the cancer wasn't caught early he would have had the cancer either cut out or frozen off with a chemical. I know we like to associate cancer with pain, suffering and death, but do you really believe that having an easily treatable little bump on your skin is worse than having a hundred treatment-resistant bumps and blackheads all over your face for a decade of your youth and then having severe scarring for the rest of your life?

my regards to him.

to u,

Why are you sorry? Don't be, it wasn't a big deal and it wouldn't harm him. It's not like he had severe acne. However, it did look as unattractive as a tiny pimple which kind of bothered him. He didn't relapse. He still has some of the cream left, so he can apply it to his skin if he gets another little harmless pimple like bump. My skin tans easily unlike my dad, who has very fair skin. Even if I did get it when I'm older, I would just easily get it treated. It's nothing to worry about unless you let it grow for 50 years and it becomes huge.

so i've heard.

He's perfectly capable of taking care of his own diet and lifestyle. Are you intentionally trying to make as it sound as if the little bump somehow left him damaged? It didn't cause any damage.With proper treatment, basal cell carcinoma can be completely eliminated, often without scarring. He just needs to wear sunblock when he's in the sun since he has very fair skin, unlike me. Would you agree with Mr.negativity and choose to have severe treatment-resistant acne over the tiny bump my dad had back in 2005?

MemberMember
(@mrnegative)

Posted : 06/23/2013 4:30 pm

My dad had the most common kind of cancer, basal cell carcinoma. He had to apply a cream for several weeks until it was gone. If the cancer wasn't caught early he would have had the cancer either cut out or frozen off with a chemical. I know we like to associate cancer with pain, suffering and death, but do you really believe that having an easily treatable little bump on your skin is worse than having a hundred treatment-resistant bumps and blackheads all over your face for a decade of your youth and then having severe scarring for the rest of your life?

>>1stly, am sorry ur father was diagnosed with cancer and am glad he's treated.

my regards to him.

to u,

Why are you sorry? Don't be, it wasn't a big deal and it wouldn't harm him. It's not like he had severe acne. However, it did look as unattractive as a tiny pimple which kind of bothered him. He didn't relapse. He still has some of the cream left, so he can apply it to his skin if he gets another little harmless pimple like bump. My skin tans easily unlike my dad, who has very fair skin. Even if I did get it when I'm older, I would just easily get it treated. It's nothing to worry about unless you let it grow for 50 years and it becomes huge.

so i've heard.

He's perfectly capable of taking care of his own diet and lifestyle. Are you intentionally trying to make as it sound as if the little bump somehow left him damaged? It didn't cause any damage.With proper treatment, basal cell carcinoma can be completely eliminated, often without scarring. He just needs to wear sunblock when he's in the sun since he has very fair skin, unlike me. Would you agree with Mr.negativity and choose to have severe treatment-resistant acne over the tiny bump my dad had back in 2005?

Again, some of you just won't let up. Comparing the most minor and easily treatable type of cancer to severe, treatment-resistant acne is pretty close to setting up a straw man. My argument never hinged on the assumption that severe acne is not a serious disease worthy of respect. In most cases (not all cases, obviously), I'd say cancer is a bit more serious, as it is literally life-threatening. If you're planning on bringing up the argument that acne could push one to the verge of suicide, I'd respond by pointing out the fact that cancer patients usually have very little choice or control in regards to their life (in aggressive cases). Once again, when I say "in regards to their life," I am referring to a literal life or death scenario.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 06/23/2013 9:34 pm

This has been a most interesting debate over the merits of having cancer over acne (and yes, I have intentionally misunderstood the premise) but I'm sure we can all agree that this thread is starting to degenerate into a bickering match. Emotions are high and I suggest that the thread is dropped or redirected.

AyeAye - Acne.org Moderating Team

MemberMember
(@mrnegative)

Posted : 06/23/2013 10:05 pm

Hey, AyeAye, I apologize if I've broken any forum rules with the thread. I didn't mean for it to devolve into a debate comparing acne to cancer (lol), but it seems as if it has taken such a turn. Maybe users will choose to steer it back on track in order to make a bit more helpful and informative.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 06/24/2013 1:10 am

Amount of negativity depends upon the type of acne you have. Negativity from someone with severe acne/scarring is different from someone with mild acne.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/24/2013 1:19 am

my regards to him.

to u,

anyway,i will not react anymore on this comparison.the comparison is started and thats why we respond and then suddenly one says its too varied so its pointless to compare.

i will say one thing - i am not here to side anyone or support anybody(no,not even mrnegative).i respond to statements made(not even the whole posts).

so i've heard.

My dad had the most common kind of cancer, basal cell carcinoma. He had to apply a cream for several weeks until it was gone. If that didn't work he would have had the cancer either cut out or frozen off with a chemical. I know we like to associate cancer with pain, suffering and death, but do you really believe that having an easily treatable little bump on your skin is worse than having a hundred treatment-resistant bumps and blackheads all over your face for a decade and then having severe scarring for the rest of your life?

also the way its looked at is different if you have cancer they make braclets,t-shirts and people look up to you because your fighting it, while with severe acne you get picked on,laughed at even tho your trying your best to get rid of it. people show no sympathy for acne sufferes we are just disgusting freaks.

huh?

thats why u would choose cancer over acne?

because people will make t shirts and look up to u?

anyway,i am done.

thank u guys.

Your ignorance saddens me, If thats the assumption you made from my post all i have to say is wow.

am glad i could make u sad.

an achievement!

ignore me and i'll do the same.

>1stly, am sorry ur father was diagnosed with cancer and am glad he's treated.

my regards to him.

to u,

so i've heard.

i will choose not to comment on things thats personal to someone(you).

i was sorry because i was sorry.

i hear one having any form and any degree of carcinoma or any disease and feel sorry.

no disease is a happy thing.whether treatable or not.

i feel sorry acne too.

i never though i would have to explain that.

i was concerned and i spoke out as lil' as i know about relapses.

u wanna take it,good.u dnt,better.

i am not trying make it sound like anything.

just glad 'he can take care of himself'!

i think we should ignore each others posts from now.

thanks.

good luck.

MemberMember
(@elliew8)

Posted : 06/24/2013 3:27 am

Oh and just to add to Sisyphus: no one here is denying the psychological impact of acne AT ALL and undoubtedly it's both widespread and deeply rooted. HOWEVER, to quote something that states acne is the biggest form of psychic trauma is just plain ignorant...I'm sorry to be harsh but if that's what you actually believe then you need a bit of a reality check. Acne is crap...but there are a lot more mentally debilitating diseases and conditions out there, it basically suggests you are comparing a disease like cancer to acne, which frankly is either stupid or naive.

"There is no single disease which causes more psychic trauma, more maladjustment between parents and children, more general insecurity and feelings of inferiority and greater sums of psychic suffering than does acne vulgaris." --Sulzberger & Zaldems"

Yet another person misinterpreting the quote. What about the rest of the quote? Do you think the quote means having acne is worse than brain cancer? That obviously isn't true. That quote is referring to the totality of all psychic trauma from the billions of people that have acne. Compare that to the trauma only 40,000 people, which are mostly senior citizens, get from rectal cancer each year. The psychic trauma from acne can last a lifetime. It does not mean acne is worse than cancer. I'm sure plenty of people develop lifelong depression and anxiety disorders from cancer. Also, It isn't counting the trauma experienced by people that don't have cancer or acne themselves.

Cancer, known medically as a malignant neoplasm, is a broad group of various DISEASES, all involving unregulated cell growth. Did you notice how it says cancer is a broad group of various diseases and that my quote says "there is no single disease that causes more psychic trauma". That means cancer's are diseases, but melanoma and colon cancer are not the same disease. "Colon cancer, is a cancer from uncontrolled cell growth in the colon or rectum, or in the appendix." Melanoma on the other hand, is a malignant tumor or melanocyte.Therefore, my quote is not comparing all psychic trauma from acne to all psychic trauma from cancer, it is instead comparing all psychic trauma from acne to all colon cancer psychic trauma, or the sum of all trauma from melanoma or any other single disease. Do you understand the huge difference? On average, how many thousands of people with acne do you think it takes to have similar amounts of psychic trauma as one person with lung cancer? If the psychic trauma from one person with colon cancer was equivalent to the the psychic trauma of 10,000 people with acne then acne would still cause more psychic trauma by a landslide since so many more people get acne. Do you understand?

Psychic trauma is defined as an emotional shock or injury or a distressful situation that produces a lasting impression, especially on the subconscious mind. Some causes of psychic trauma may include abuse or neglect in childhood, rape, and loss of a loved one. Are children and teenager's or senior citizens more likely to have negative lasting impressions on the subconscious mind from distressful situation? It's also not counting physical pain.

Hey, I don't think you read my other post that said I was wrong to say the quote was stupid/ ignorant. I understand what psychic trauma means as well as the difference between single disease and various diseases. I haven't misinterpreted the quote, I just don't agree with it...however, as a few others have said, trying to compare acne and cancer is something so subjective that we are probably just going to have to agree to disagree.