Notifications
Clear all

Come On, Acne And Skin Problems Make Us More Resilient And Stronger

MemberMember
(@adayinthelife)

Posted : 06/14/2013 7:43 am

I think it does take a certain maturity to deal with skin problems that really are a hassle, sure you could just focus on the superficial aspects, how it looks to other people, what you think about it and how other people might judge you but if you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, your problem seems very different. Sure, we'd all love to have a magic lamp that we could use to wish that we look great every single day of our lives but life is better when you can overcome the hard times. Believe me, I have been down for several months before and I know how it feels when it seems your stuck, but after it, you look back and think "that's all over now" and life just seems really peaceful and balanced. Its taken me a long time to be able to notice any changes in my perspective, at first I was having a bit of a breakdown but I feel more in control now. You know how to handle the situation, don't let other people make you think different. You can't control your skin, you can't change it quickly and easily like you can change your clothes or your hair. You know that you have to deal with things for a while, but sometimes you think you have to keep struggling emotionally until you resolve the skin issue but you don't. If your trying to solve the problem, thats it, that's all you need to do, the rest will take care of itself! You just need to remind yourself your trying but in the mean time theres no need to feel so down and that you can relax. My point in all of this is that while we can say "Acne is just a kick in the balls" it's also a problem that requires specific skills to deal with, at first it's hard to put away, we can't hide it and we feel judged by others, these are our social instincts- we normally feel that we will go out in front of other people with nothing for them to judge us on but we can overcome those feelings. What you learn from trying to make it through Acne are life skills, really useful stuff we actually learn to look at something we normally see as a necessity as just a desire. We reprogram our mind a bit, we learn to challenge our instincts. It's just not all bad, that's all. I still have a long way to go but I defiantly feel different, your skin may not be improving much but your attitude towards might be. Also, A tough thing is how some of us set up a mental calendar that revolves around our skin, we use it to make choices for social plans and events, we think "I'll make this plan because my skin will look better by that date" and then if it doesn't we cancel. This is one of the most challenging things that I still have to work on. Keep trying guys, just try with starting with maybe 40% negative thoughts and 60% positive thoughts, I would say now I'd be at 70% positive and 30% negative, I will keep at it till I'm 90% positive and 10% negative.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/14/2013 8:16 am

true!true!true!

(@LewisS)

Posted : 06/14/2013 8:22 am

One main benefit of having acne is my knowledge about skin now. I know things that I'd never have known if I had clear skin...

I'm always giving advice to people, telling them what and what not to do.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/17/2013 4:48 pm

In retrospect i'd say acne has been a blessing in disguise for me.I know it depresses me,it deforms me physically/mentally,is a serious impediment in my life.Despite all that and many more ,it has taught me valuable lessons in life which would go a long way in making me a better human being.

First of all, it has given me an insight into healthy living.At 14 i knew everything about high GI index foods,how sugar harms us,what salt does to us and how a high carbohydrate meal can exacerbate your acne.Armed with a repertoire of healthy habits i'm doing a lot of good to my body.So acne has definitely improved my over all health!

Secondly it has made me resilient.Mere trifles don't bother me anymore. Iv'e seen worse days.THE ACNE DAYS HAHA!!

Thirdly,and most importantly acne has been a humbling experience for me.I have dropped the baggage of vanity and snobbishness.

P.S-Though a big cyst still gives me a conniption :o