Notifications
Clear all

What's The 1St Thing Your Gonna Do When Your Clear?

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 01/13/2013 11:51 pm

So, you finally managed to clear your skin and your now happy with the way you look. You think to yourself ok now what lol...

for me the first thing i'll do is go take a really nice photo to put on my Facebook profile. with a suite and everything so i'll look real slick haha, the lady's will love me cool.pngwub.png

MemberMember
(@random1)

Posted : 01/13/2013 11:54 pm

Take pictures of with all family members friends, not for facebook but just for my own keeping. Because of the acne my last photo taken with my family (which that one was snuck in; i wouldnt have even let it happen had i known the camera was near =I) was like 3 years ago.

MemberMember
(@industrio)

Posted : 01/13/2013 11:56 pm

I would thank God this time, getting clear was not easy this time around haha! (If I do get clear)

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/14/2013 5:16 am

Hate to burst anyones bubble but no one will be happy when you first get clear and i will tell you way.

For those of you who have acne for more a long time say more than 2 years and have struggled emotionally with it. You get so use to being unhappy and down that you forget to be any other way.

My advice is start fixing your emotional issues NOW rather than thinking getting clear will fix it all.

Most of us would have lost relationships, lost friends, alienated people, walked away from hobbies or jobs. All this has to be repaired and sorted.

Getting clear isn't a magic pill, the damage is done so start fixing it now.

MemberMember
(@myadultacnecure)

Posted : 01/14/2013 6:33 am

Well, I've had it nearly 10 years and am almost 23 now sooo it depends on how long it takes. If I'm 35 or 40, I'll have already killed myself so I guess if I am 25 then I'll go swimming without makeup...have professional photos taken to capture my nice skin just incase so at least I can remember the few moments in my life I had clear skin (aka. that moment and age 12 and under haha). Since I've tried pretty much everything (I'll write a list on my and acne's 10 year anniversary :P), I'll try and make my own acne-curing kit and hopefully help others and make money to pay off all my student debt -_- If I'm 30, I guess I'll be happy, although my entire youth was spent with a freakish bumpy face and big nose and I'll probably be tied down to a guy who treats me like sh*t because of my ugly face. Despite finally having clear skin, I'll probably be dumped for a younger model and spend the rest of my days alone, going home to my pigeons, cats, and random animals I keep as companions who never judged me (or at least I could never tell :P).

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 01/14/2013 7:00 am

Getting clear will not solve your problems. It makes me sad to see how deluded people are, postponing their lives because of something so insignificant. If you can't emotionally deal with it now, when the problem exists, you won't be able to deal with other things in life that don't come easy. Even if you're acne free.

Your biggest problem is not acne. It's not what makes you shut yourself from the rest of the world, it's your inability to cope with it, be active and do things despite that you've got imperfect skin. Can't find a boyfriend/girlfriend? It's not because everyone thinks it's gross and looks at it through a magnifying glass, it's because you're so insecure, self-conscious and shun people. I've seen people with really bad acne getting a relationship. As soon as I accepted my acne I got a boyfriend too, who doesn't give a damn about it. He simply doesn't see it!

Nothing is gonna change after you've got clear. You'll face another hardship and break down again! Acne is there to make us stronger, to makes us take care of our bodies and live a healthier life. Don't put your life on hold, these years will never come back!!!

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/14/2013 9:29 am

Getting clear will not solve your problems. It makes me sad to see how deluded people are, postponing their lives because of something so insignificant. If you can't emotionally deal with it now, when the problem exists, you won't be able to deal with other things in life that don't come easy. Even if you're acne free.

Your biggest problem is not acne. It's not what makes you shut yourself from the rest of the world, it's your inability to cope with it, be active and do things despite that you've got imperfect skin. Can't find a boyfriend/girlfriend? It's not because everyone thinks it's gross and looks at it through a magnifying glass, it's because you're so insecure, self-conscious and shun people. I've seen people with really bad acne getting a relationship. As soon as I accepted my acne I got a boyfriend too, who doesn't give a damn about it. He simply doesn't see it!

Nothing is gonna change after you've got clear. You'll face another hardship and break down again! Acne is there to make us stronger, to makes us take care of our bodies and live a healthier life. Don't put your life on hold, these years will never come back!!!

Fully agree on all points.

MemberMember
(@williamrickard)

Posted : 01/14/2013 11:17 am

• When I became clear, I just lived a normal life, got on with it.

• Started to be happy taking photos.

• Began to meet new people.

• Stopped looking in the mirror 24/7.

• Stopped picking my skin(Obvious)

• Can hole a conversation with people.

• Stopped caring about with others thought.

• Actually started going to family events.

You will get there eventually, just find the correct regime (Danne for me) and use it religiously.

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 01/14/2013 11:41 am

To the people saying it wont change a thing, i have to disagree that's like saying that making yourself fell good about yourself won't help... i'm sorry but what!? it changes EVERYTHING! am i saying that i'm gonna be happy for the rest of my days? of course not that's crazy i know life goes on and that there will be thing's that continue to be challenging, but even when that is the case at least i'll have the chance to think to myself "well at least i don't have acne". some crap that stays on my freaking face for what feels like forever, nonstop without even a single day's break! Just knowing that i can blend in with the crowed and not stand out for all the wrong reason's would be enough to put a smile on my face any day =). This is just my opinion so i'm not speaking for everyone

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 01/14/2013 4:06 pm

I agree with both opinions. Putting life on hold because of some bumps on your face is pretty fucking stupid. However i also think that getting clear would help tremendously with everyday common things like holding a conversation, confidence etc. I would kill to have the feeling of being free from this hell. Working on self-esteem now is the key though and its something i'm working hard at.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 01/14/2013 7:23 pm

I would kill to have the feeling of being free from this hell.

I know that feeling. It's very liberating. It's like a weight falls off of you. When the quality of your life improves, it's a wonderful feeling.

But I had that feeling whilst still having the physical thing that had me depressed and whatnot earlier; you don't need to get clear in order to liberate yourself from all the anxiety and sadness and constant worry or whatever you're dealing with. Having said that becoming clear sure would be a faster path to becoming happier!

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 01/14/2013 7:24 pm

I'd say there's two sides to it. Yes, you can live your life with acne. But to say that it's purely a cosmetic thing isn't true. Most people have a natural care for their appearance. People judge you based on appearance. It's true though that the confident acne stricken person can still succeed socially.

Saying it's insignificant is a bit unsympathetic, and surprising to hear from people who've had acne. When I had cystic acne, I still went out with friends, but when I caught a lingering stare from a stranger, it would bother me. The occasional nasty comment was discouraging. I eventually got clear, and I do feel better about going out now that I'm relatively clear (the odd pimple here and there).

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/15/2013 4:44 am

Just to clear up to everyone what i was getting at.

I am not unsympathetic at all. I went through the mill with acne and i know how dark the thoughts can be.

My point is, pretty much every i have spoken to on here (which is a hell of a lot of people) 99% have said

"i'm clear but i still feel depressed"

Getting clear is just the start. The road after that is very long because it is rehabilitation, both physical and mental.

Most acne sufferers will FIND something else to feel down about. Be scars, red marks, weight issues and so on. The reason is because most acne sufferers have been in the trenches for so long they forget to be any other way. We get comfortable with being miserable all the time.

When i first got clear i had a sense of euphoria. The one thing i wanted in my life came true.

That lasted all of a day.

The damage i had caused to myself was much much deeper. I had cut friends out, lost a girlfriend, alienated my family, dropped out of uni and still i didn't want to go out because i was still massively insecure. I was living on the internet where it was safe and everything done from a distance.

It took me a further 2 to 3 years to get myself back up and functioning as i needed to be. If i knew back then what i know i now i would i have started my "rehab" before i got clear.

When i say it is just the start heed my words. It won't solve all of your problems as many of you the emotional issues go much much deeper.

I had to ACCEPT i have acne and possibly the rest of my life. All i can do is keep it under control. The only difference know is that a break out doesn't stop me from living like it use to.

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 01/15/2013 5:46 am

I'd say there's two sides to it. Yes, you can live your life with acne. But to say that it's purely a cosmetic thing isn't true. Most people have a natural care for their appearance. People judge you based on appearance. It's true though that the confident acne stricken person can still succeed socially.

Saying it's insignificant is a bit unsympathetic, and surprising to hear from people who've had acne. When I had cystic acne, I still went out with friends, but when I caught a lingering stare from a stranger, it would bother me. The occasional nasty comment was discouraging. I eventually got clear, and I do feel better about going out now that I'm relatively clear (the odd pimple here and there).

Didn't mean to be unsympathetic, but seeing how people get totally broken down because of this and want to commit suicide pisses me off in a way. Last year I worked in social care as a personal assistant with disabled people and you wouldn't believe how cheerful and outgoing they were despite their disabilities. And acne is in no way a disability.

I just think people got week and resistless nowadays. Just to think of what people went through before and how some people are still forced to suffer and then compare it with some cysts on your face. Unfair to even compare.

I do feel bad about my acne, and it was much worse some time ago. But whenever I feel like I don't want to see anyone because of new breakout, I get ashamed of myself so I get myself together and go out.

All I'm saying is - you can feel bad about it, you can do some research and look for treatments and medications that will work for you. It needs to be taken cared of, it's out of question. But during the time - accept yourself the way you are right now.

I found my acne the worst when I was unhappy and inactive. Says quite a lot, doesn't it?

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 01/15/2013 11:09 am

Sorry, but there is a lot of truth to being happy when you get clear. Every time I've got clear has been the happiest times in my life.

I get tired of the "go out and live anyway" bullshit. Maybe some people can, and it has nothing to do with looks. But I cannot thrive when I'm in PHYSICAL PAIN. Mental pain, maybe. Ugliness? Maybe. But physical pain, no. It's draining and miserable and leaves me with very low energy. If I feel ill, I can't just go out and live. And severe acne (mine) is very painful, physically.

So, when I get clear a LOT of things I was unable to do before will open up for me, and I don't care who says that's wrong. It's a fact.

What will I most want to do? I want to travel to a foreign country, walk the beaches and just be free. Not having to worry about skincare and makeup and diet and medications 24/7. Just be free.

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 01/15/2013 11:31 am

Sorry, but there is a lot of truth to being happy when you get clear. Every time I've got clear has been the happiest times in my life.

I get tired of the "go out and live anyway" bullshit. Maybe some people can, and it has nothing to do with looks. But I cannot thrive when I'm in PHYSICAL PAIN. Mental pain, maybe. Ugliness? Maybe. But physical pain, no. It's draining and miserable and leaves me with very low energy. If I feel ill, I can't just go out and live. And severe acne (mine) is very painful, physically.

So, when I get clear a LOT of things I was unable to do before will open up for me, and I don't care who says that's wrong. It's a fact.

What will I most want to do? I want to travel to a foreign country, walk the beaches and just be free. Not having to worry about skincare and makeup and diet and medications 24/7. Just be free.

I understand it's painful in your case, mine was also painful and left scaring, but some people here don't even have severe condition and still they're so freaking miserable about it.

People with diabetes have to take care of insulin injections and their diet 24/7 and they'll never be free. There are many serious incurable diseases which just becomes a part of you. If you choose to think about yourself as disabled because of your acne, so be it.

I see that many people on this site are nourishing each other's feeling of being miserable, instead of encouraging to accept their condition and treat it with patience.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 01/15/2013 12:14 pm

The first thing I did when I woke up and realized I was clear was to look in the most horrific magnifying mirror I could find, then tell my boyfriend it was ok to kiss me on the cheek now tongue.png Heh heh. I also stopped wearing layers of liquid foundation everywhere.

There's a lot of truth in still not being free just because you don't have acne any more though. I still have wobbly moments of feeling sad that acne has left enlarged pores and marks on my face. Do I let it stop me being myself and living my life? No. Is there a small selfish part of me that wishes I'd never had to deal with it? Yes and no. I could live without the marks, but in many ways acne has forced me to examine who I am on the inside, and to recognize that I'm not so bad on the outside really. I know there are much worse things to have but I'm glad that my face can touch the pillow without stinging now.

Being clear is usually a wonderful feeling, but ultimatley one insecurity will replace another if you're not happy with yourself on the whole.

MemberMember
(@dqn217)

Posted : 01/16/2013 12:21 pm

My interpretation of "being clear" means no acne, and very faded or no hyperpigmentation and generally a uniform color and smoothness in my face. And the day that this happens I will praise the lord! And then probably pee my pants with joy.

MemberMember
(@sndr)

Posted : 01/16/2013 2:00 pm

I would travel.

I would go and meet women like I used to.

I would pursue my career.

I would go out with friends more.

I would have more smiles than frowns through my days.

I would convince myself to actually try new things, meet new people, see more of the outdoors than indoors.

I would drive to places OTHER than to grab some beer.

I would STOP SMOKING cigarettes.

I wouldn't be as shy and have such horrible self-esteem.

I wouldn't cry like a baby any more, that's for sure.

I wouldn't stay home, in my basement watching TV and sulking all day.

and most of all, I wouldn't have to think twice about the way I look, allowing it to ruin all the joys of life.

It sucks that acne, acne scarring and such can take years off your life. The reason why I think I'm like this is because

I've always been an entertainer, comedian, musician, etc. and I believe especially artists, deep down inside, use their appearance

to market themselves (but that's not the main reason why I'm sad). The biggest reason... is when I look at myself; I want to see me, not my past.

There's a lot more I would do but, each time I type something it reminds me of how I used to be... *sigh*

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 01/16/2013 2:19 pm

Look around how lot of people have gotten clear. Its not impossible.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/16/2013 9:43 pm

Didn't mean to be unsympathetic, but seeing how people get totally broken down because of this and want to commit suicide pisses me off in a way. Last year I worked in social care as a personal assistant with disabled people and you wouldn't believe how cheerful and outgoing they were despite their disabilities. And acne is in no way a disability.

I just think people got week and resistless nowadays. Just to think of what people went through before and how some people are still forced to suffer and then compare it with some cysts on your face. Unfair to even compare.

I do feel bad about my acne, and it was much worse some time ago. But whenever I feel like I don't want to see anyone because of new breakout, I get ashamed of myself so I get myself together and go out.

All I'm saying is - you can feel bad about it, you can do some research and look for treatments and medications that will work for you. It needs to be taken cared of, it's out of question. But during the time - accept yourself the way you are right now.

I found my acne the worst when I was unhappy and inactive. Says quite a lot, doesn't it?

You never know what's going inside someone elses head so don't judge. What may be a minor inconvenience to one person can mean the world to another. I have a friend with diabetes struggles with her dagnosis and i would never say to her, 'well, it could be stage 4 cancer so stop your whining'. People can feel how they want to feel and i find that making those comparisons are:

• pointless
  • a way to disregard and minimize someone else's perception
  • not a good way to support anyone.

You certainly don't have to feed in to the pity party but let people vent.....that's what this site is all about

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 01/17/2013 6:11 am

You never know what's going inside someone elses head so don't judge. What may be a minor inconvenience to one person can mean the world to another. I have a friend with diabetes struggles with her dagnosis and i would never say to her, 'well, it could be stage 4 cancer so stop your whining'. People can feel how they want to feel and i find that making those comparisons are:

• pointless

You certainly don't have to feed in to the pity party but let people vent.....that's what this site is all about

People lack encouragement to feel good the way they are. I would never tell anyone who thinks he/she looks terrible with acne "Poor you, you do look terrible, you have a point in feeling bad". A good way to support someone is to remind that there are other things to live for while looking for a cure.

Sure " shut up and stop whining about it" is not gonna help anyone, but I've never that anywhere.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 01/17/2013 7:33 am

• pointless

Thank you. Excellent post. Acne is completely disabling to some of us. I have almost committed suicide, suffered severe depression and developed an eating disorder because of having acne. No one better try to tell me that this disease doesn't count as a disability.

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 01/17/2013 8:24 am

Acne on it's own is not a disability. What your mind does because of it - is.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/17/2013 9:22 am

• pointless

Thank you. Excellent post. Acne is completely disabling to some of us. I have almost committed suicide, suffered severe depression and developed an eating disorder because of having acne. No one better try to tell me that this disease doesn't count as a disability.

Hey Deja.

Everything you just said i can whole heartily say ive been there and went through the meat grinder with it

Pianina is right in saying acne in itself is a disability.

What has become your disability is the way you have reacted to acne and your ability to deal with it or lack there of.

Now i know you are passionate about this and at times you seem quite hungry. That is okay, like say ive been exactly where you are now.

My whole point is that if what you are doing is not working, as in what you are doing to try and deal with it then it stands to reason to try a different approach and come at it from a different angle.

I have to be honest about this kind of thing. I find it hard sometimes to hold back on here when i read some of the stories. I am not unsympathetic and i help where i can. However I have friend who is in chronic pain everyday of his life. Now i won't go into details but he has a condition which means he probably won't see 35 but you know what? He is happy, laughs, jokes around, gets on with his life and does "normal" things like any other member of society. He is a big inspiration to me and no matter how down i might feel one day i always think about and how he just gets on with it. To be totally honest he has more reason to complain about how sucky life can be than every person on here combined.

So when i try to say things could be a whole lot worse i say that from real experience, having been where you are and getting to a point where i can deal with all the emotional probs that come with it. I do not say this because i am on my high horse. I say from an educated outlook and try to offer advice that may potentially help someone one day.