Zinc reviews

4.2/5 - 411 reviews

Zinc

TERRIBLE!!! USE WITH CAUTION
Reviewed on July 5, 2014

After having flawless skin throughout my entire life, I became plagued with sudden adult acne at 23. I didn't know what was happening, but most likely hormones were to blame in my case since the acne seemed to flair around the time of my period. I came across a blog written by a girl who cured her adult acne by taking 30 mg of zinc for three months. Went ahead and got on a chelated form of zinc which is the most absorabed, worked fast in clearing the acne. However that honeymoon phase ended fairly early. After 1 month on 30 mg of zinc, I started losing my long thick hair, I began noticing tiny hairs on my chin and my skin and hair became extremely oily!! not to mention extreme fatigue and BONE PAIN!! turns out zinc deplet4es your body from iron and copper leaving you anemic. Without copper you cannot maintain strong bones and connective tissues, you can now hear my bone snapping every time I took a step. This stuff has ruined my life and messed up my hormones even worse. It also increases testosterone which is a major culprit for acne/oily skin and hirsutism. NEVER TAKE A MINERAL SUPPLEMENT without consulting a doctor first. I couldve never imagined the disastrous results from taking something that sounds as a simple mineral supplement. It has ruined my life.

Didn't hurt, didn't help
Reviewed on June 29, 2014

I took 50mg of Zinc every day for almost 3 months and did not notice any worsening or positive progress. Every person is different so definitely try and see if supplementing Zinc works for you.

helps in combining
Reviewed on June 19, 2014

I find that it helps improve my skin to looking

more nourished and shinier. My skin looked dull without taking

the zinc. It's also helped to keep my hand eczema calm and less dry.

But I find it works even better when also taking vitamin A and vitamin e

each day as well. I tried taking it on an empty stomach and it gave me a horrible headache.

I am taking 30 mg. I feel that even 30 mg is too much.

I used to break it in half. But it's fine as long as I take it with a meal.

Zinc
Reviewed on June 6, 2014

I tried it, feels like nothing. Assuming it helps a bit, but I want my body full of vitamins and all the "anti-acne" supplements I can get!

Great immune boost. However, no difference in my skin.
Reviewed on May 27, 2014

I have been taking this supplement off and on for years because it really boosts my immune system. I have gone through periods of not taking it because I run out or I get out of the habit. I haven't noticed difference on the clarity of my skin. Supplements that have noticeably helped clear my skin: cinnamon, and NAC.

Can't hurt
Reviewed on April 25, 2014

I've read enough studies now that I am pretty convinced that supplementing with 30mg of zinc per day will help keep my skin clearer. It's an inexpensive and easy way to get a little extra insurance against breakouts and inflammation in the body.

I'm giving it 4 stars because studies show it helps about 40% with acne symptoms. Placebo helps around 30%, so it's not a magic pill, just a nice little adjunct.

give it time
Reviewed on April 23, 2014

Okay sooo I don't normally write on acne boards but after giving zinc a shot, I knew I had to. I really hope this helps someone.

I have been dealing with hormonal acne for about 2 years. (I am 25). I have tries everything under the sun. Birth control which was a nightmare!!! Birth control made me severely depressed and was so not worth it. I tried every topical known to man. This includes at home remedies, otc and perscription. Finally I took my health into my own hands. I did some research and learned that ANYTHING skin related comes from the inside out. Therefor you need to treat it as such.

Another thing I learned was that hormones are sent through the liver and if your liver is either unhealthy or not able to handle the excess hormones, these hormones are sent into the blood stream and create issues such as acne!!!!

Sooooo I decided to clean my liver. Nothing too crazy. I started taking milk thistle supplements right before I went to bed. Milk thistle is all natural and helpa detox the liver allowing it to function better.*able to handle the excess hormones better*. After 2 weeks I noticed a nice difference.

**just a heads up, dont take milk thislte for longer than 2 weeks at a time**

At this point my hormonal acne hadn't cleared up completely so I knew I needes something else.

After doing more research, I came across zinc. Zinc helps regulate the excess hormones that cause hormonal acne. Most people who suffer from hormonal acne have a zinc deficiency. I started taking zinc (50 mg zinc gluconate) once a day WITH FOOD!! *** I made the tragic mistake one day of taking it on an empty stomach. Wound up vommiting.***

So its been a month since I started taking the zinc and I have noticed a dramatic difference. I used to have breakouts in my chin, jawline and bad clusters on my neck. The clusters on my neck and jaw have completely dried up. (Now just dealing with scarring). I have an occasional pre cystic/horminal bump on my upper cheek but It goes away in a couple of days.

I also want to add that I took myself off the birth control pill the day before I started zinc. Which as most women know, when coming off of BCP the break out is the WORST!!!

Now there are different types of zinc. zinc gluconate is what I found in all of the drug stores,50-100 mg of zinc gluconate seems to be best. Some other forms of zinc are known to be more potent. I haven't tried them but if you do some research, youll see what I mean.

**the first 2 weeks I started with 50 then bumped it up to 100 and 100mg of the zinc gluconate has sped up the process. My skin is much clearer***

So in summary... if you have been suffering give zinc a shot. It has helped and will take me some time but I am telling you to please give this a shot!!! Also, try cleaning up your liver with milk thistle and take a multivitamin.

I really hope this helps!!!! Good luck!!

by steve2342355 on 05/17/2014 05:43
you're pretty sexy
It does help if you know how to use it.
Reviewed on April 23, 2014

Zinc works for most people. Take it a couple of hours before you take Magnesium supplements. Try to space it out since minerals fight for absorption. Don't take Calcium supplements on the days you take Zinc/Mg supplements. Also, women with PCOS are generally deficient in Mg. Most of the people who I know used both Zinc and Mg to fight acne.

Other supplements according to your needs helps as well.

The mineral that worked for me the most is Zinc. Try to build a proper supplemental regime. Same regimen doesn't work for everyone.

LEARN TO CUSTOMIZE.

Zinc changes everything. Think twice before going vegan.
Reviewed on April 19, 2014

I've always been acne prone but as I entered my late teens, my acne was becoming less of a problem. Occaisonal breakouts and blackheads, but definitely manageable. At the end of last summer when I turned 20, I decided to switch to a vegan diet to clean out my system. I expected to see clearer skin, as I was eating tons of fresh fruit and veggies. But my mild acne was progressively getting worse and I had no idea what was going on. This february with the start of a new semester and about 6 months on a vegan diet, my acne flaring up like never before. My pimples were hard, red, and painful and left horrible spots that took forever to fade. I was breaking out on areas of my face that never used to break out and I was at my wits end. I've never felt so ugly in my life. After boughts of the flu and respiratory infections, I knew something was just not right with my body and after a binge of googling my symptoms in hopes of finding an answer, the only explanation that made an sense was a zinc deficiency. Zinc plays a huge role in delivering Vitamin A to the skin, which is vital for wound healing and cell turnover. It's also needed for thyroid function and can affect testosterone. Zinc deficiency diminishes the imune system, which would explain my illnesses. I started taking 200mg of zinc gluconate (~60mg of elemental zinc) for about a week and then switched to 100mg after that. Within the first 3 days of I noticed that my complexion was overall brighter and the redness from old marks was subsiding. My face was not as oily and active pimples were less inflamed. It has been about 3 weeks since beginning zinc supplementation and My skin is almost back to normal. I also started eating eggs and fish again. In no way is my acne cured, but it is now controlled and I finally have my face back. I definitely recommend trying zinc and looking into vitamin deficiencies. Think twice before making major changes in your diet and make sure you are mindful of getting all the essential vitamins and minerals.

Didn't work for me but definitely worth a shot
Reviewed on April 6, 2014

I have been taking Jamieson 50mg Zinc for about 2 weeks now and I have seen no improvement or worsening of acne. This could have been due to my diet prior to taking this supplement was already high in zinc and I was never deficient to start. A bottle of 100 tablets is only about $10 so it's definitely worth a shot. even as a source of hope I'd say it's worth it.