Zinc reviews

4.2/5 - 431 reviews

Zinc Gluconate

Less than a month
Reviewed on January 27, 2016

I have tried everything, all of the face washes, Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, Proactiv and last year my GP put me on Doxycycline which helped me significantly for the three month duration I was on it. After the prescription ran out I decided not to continue because of the research I'd done which said that it completely destroys your intestinal flora!! I was never warned about that by my GP which angered me but hey, what can you do. I heard about Zinc supplements on this forum about a month ago and decided to try it out. So far, so good. My skin is definitely much better than it used to be. For the last 5 years I have had inflamed red cystic and hormonal acne which was constantly there. At the moment my skin is still far from perfect but I've noticed that instead of the 15+ new pimples a week I used to get, I only have a couple and when new ones do form it's usually just a small white head that is gone in 1-2 days. Also, the terrible scarring on my cheeks has healed up so much I can't believe it and I think that the only thing I can contribute that to is the 15mg chelated zinc tablets I've been taking once a day. This stuff is amazing and I'm so glad that it's natural. I'll be sticking with this and hopefully it continues with these great results!

Meh...
Reviewed on December 3, 2015

From the reviews I can see that Zinc helps guys way more than it helps girls. Zinc made a very small difference for me, but not a big enough one to waste money on it. Vitex helped far more (this is only for women and it is more for adult acne.) It looks like Zinc is good if you're a guy, but if you're a woman, I would probably skip it. There are better natural treatments out there. I would recommend this to a guy, but not to a girl.

Zinc after ejaculating
Reviewed on December 1, 2015

Every time I ejaculate I would get acne around my chin 3-4 days later. If I don't masturbate for 5 days straight my skin is usually clear. Semen contains 5mg of zinc so you lose that amount per ejaculation. Zinc helps in the metabolism of testosterone and inhibiting alpha-5 reductase. Both of which may trigger hormonal acne in men.

I tried zinc picolinate and opti-zinc without success in the past, so I dismissed zinc as a possible solution. Then only a couple of weeks ago I tried a high strength zinc that contains 228mg of Zinc Gluconate which is equivalent to 30mg of elemental zinc per tablet. The key here is the amount of elemental zinc you are taking. The zinc and acne study they did put the subjects on 100mg of elemental zinc per day. But make sure you take a copper supplement as zinc blocks the absorption of copper in the body. The right ratio is 15:1 (ie. 15 parts of zinc to 1 part copper). The human body can not store zinc so you need a constant supply of zinc preferably through food. Too much zinc can become toxic to the body. The only major side-effect I experienced are constant nightmares.

Anyways, if you get acne after masturbating try finding a zinc supplement that your body can assimilate to. Make sure it contains the right amount of elemental zinc for it to be effective.

by Ampears95 on 12/05/2015 21:06
So how many pills of zinc do you take at the moment? are you getting 100mg of element zinc a day? thanks
by ajaus on 12/21/2015 02:05
Nobody gets acne due to masturbating. There are plenty of factors to consider for you, but that isn't one of them unless you are stressing yourself out about something harmless, in which case, it's the stress, not the act. Stroke away.
Best solution for me
Reviewed on September 7, 2015

I read this website before taking zinc & I am so glad I did. I am twenty years old, have combination skin & have hormonal acne on my jawline (androgen caused). I started getting mild acne (small, unpoppable bumps, some whiteheads, and a TON of blackheads) at around 12 years old. My acne used to be in my forehead and nose; then it moved to my temples when I was about 14-15. My doctor put me on the pill (alesse) and prescribed me some benzoyl peroxide, but I still struggled with mild acne until I was about 17. At that time, I moved to Japan and I couldn't take the pill anymore. When I came off my skin became horrific; I remember it being at its worst when my entire face was covered in bumps. I had cysts covering my jawline, I had blackheads all over my nose, forehead and (surprisingly) cheeks. At that moment onward I stopped using any facial product and just let my skin heal itself. Within a few months, my skin healed completely & was as its all-time best. Unfortunately, I had to come back to Canada when I was about 18 and a half, and my acne came back gradually. Before trying zinc, I tried pretty much everything: Clarisonic, expensive skincare products, benzoyl peroxide, natural skin remedies (topical), etc. but nothing worked for me. Because I noticed a dramatic change as soon as I came back to Canada, I decided to change up my diet to something more like what I used to eat back in Japan. No dairy, lots of fish, little to no eggs, and lots of vegetables. I also stopped eating meat and drink LOTS of water daily. So a few months ago, I started taking 50mg of Zinc every morning. After 3 weeks, my skin had cleared up beautifully, but I still broke out around my jaw when my period came. I kept taking zinc and my skin became better and better, but never perfect (& we are all aiming for perfect, so this is where I messed up). So after about 6 weeks of zinc, I decided to add Evening Primrose Oil to my diet. This natural oil is also supposed to be good for androgen excess acne, so I took it morning and night as well as zinc. Within a week my skin started looking gross. It was oily and my jawline was bumbity dumpty. I took EPO for about 2 or 3 weeks before giving up on it. At this point, my skin was simply ugh. I had ruined something great; my forehead was really bumpy with unpoppable red zits, my chin and jaw went haywire, even my temples had some acne, and my cheeks and cheekbones had blackheads on them. So obviously I stopped taking EPO, but the zinc wasn't able to put my skin back. Ok so here comes the weird part. I had a nose job about 3 weeks ago so I had to stop taking supplements for a week. I also couldn't put anything topically to my skin during my 1-week of convalescence. My skin cleared up pretty good on it's own during that week! Since then I started taking zinc 25mg in the morning and 25mg at night (with meals!!!) It's been 3 weeks since I started re-taking zinc and my skin is back to its all-time best. This morning I woke up with only scars on my jawline and some blackheads on my chin, but very minimal. My forehead is for the most part smooth. I look the best I've ever looked in my life. I'll keep taking zinc twice a day from now on, and I strongly recommend it to anyone with hormonal acne. & also, DON'T TAKE EVENING PRIMROSE OIL!! if your skin story is similar to mine!

good results so far!
Reviewed on August 28, 2015

Just a little back history....I have been dealing with acne for the past 15 years. I'm now 30 years. Over the years, the severity of my acne has gone in waves, but was manageable for the most part. In February of this year I switched from the pill to the mirena IUD. The first couple of months my skin was ok....by ok I mean it would break out by but wasn't horrible. By the third month, my skin went haywire!!! Everyday I would wake up to 3-4 huge cystic pimples on my jawline and chin. My skin has NEVER been like that. I tried proactiv...didn't work. I tried 10% benzoyl peroxide...didn't work. So finally I broke down and went to the dermatologist. I was prescribed 80mg of Solodyn once a day along with Aczone twice a day. I was on Solodyn for all off 2,weeks when I had serious allergic reaction which caused my joints to hurt, extreme rash all over by body and swollen hands. Needless to say, I stopped taking it. As soon as I stopped the antibiotics my acne kicked back in full gear. So me not wanting to go back on antibiotics, I started doing some research on natural ways to help prevent acne. I came across Zinc for Acne. I was a little skeptical but it was cheap so what the heck. The first week I didn't notice anything. By the middle of the second I no longer had breakouts. I'm now into my 3rd and still no new breakouts. I've been using the Bragg's ACV as toner to lighten the scars. I also use the Aztec healing clay mask once a week to exfoliate. So far I'm liking the results of the zinc. I would definitely give it a try if you feel like you have tried everything under the sun or even if you are skeptical of long term use of antibiotics. I will post and update in a month or so.

Saw improvement taking zinc for my sebderm
Reviewed on August 20, 2015

I like taking zinc tablets for my seborrheic dermatitis. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. Many of the shampoos also contain zinc and they work for treating sebderm. I think the most important thing zinc does is to reduce inflammation of the skin cells. I know I don't get enough zinc in my food on a daily basis so I supplement with a vitamin pill.

After a week of an initial breakout period this works wonders!
Reviewed on May 17, 2015

I wrote a previous review for this product on Amazon but I think the sellers hid it because I gave it one star and claimed it made me break out immeditely. It is true that this product made me break out but it was only the first inital week I took it and the only reason I am posting this is because I could find little information on initial breakouts with zinc. After a week my skin cleared up and I have not had a break out since. I have mild acne associated with hormones so in my opinion, depending on the person, this works for people who do not have cystic acne as well. I only take one a day (with a meal) because the doses are already over the daily reccomendations but try this out for at least a week or two and see what happens!

Breakouts
Reviewed on March 27, 2015

I am currently taking birth control and it has really helped my acne. I read about how zinc could also help acne so I gave it a try. I don't know if it was counteracting what my BC was doing, but I started getting huge cysts everyday. I keep taking it for a month but it only got worse. It was worth a try though, you never know. Everything will work different for each person.

No words to describe its perfect
Reviewed on March 1, 2015

Its the only thing that works for me, in the past im tried IPL and it help me a lot but my oily skin problem continĂșes, finally i decide to take zinc for acne and the first couple days im not saw difference but the next days im see my pimples cured much faster and my oily skin problem dissapeared the bottle says took 2 pills with meals, but i take one with meals and 1 after exercise(before bed).

Acne with IUD - zinc cleared it right up!
Reviewed on February 7, 2015

I've always had hormonally-triggered acne, and when I got my Paragard IUD over the summer it got worse. A whole slew of homeopathic and nature-based blogs said that it might have been due to copper toxicity, and although I normally take those "diagnoses" with a grain of salt, I was pretty desperate. I started taking a zinc supplement to counteract the alleged effects of the copper, and I'm not sure what happened, but I've never had better skin in my LIFE. I'm 24 and have had acne since I was 13, but taking a zinc supplement has been such a serious game changer!!

I take a b-complex (I'm vegetarian), biotin, and 50mg zinc daily. I also run around 10 miles/week, but that's been consistent even when my acne was terrible.

I'd highly recommend trying zinc if you've been struggling with hormonal acne, or if you've recently had a Paragard placed.