Zinc reviews

4.2/5 - 453 reviews

Zinc Gluconate

Try It!
Reviewed on February 25, 2017

Hopefully this is the comment that makes you go: "Alright I'll give it a try!". One of the 600+ comments on here was that one for me, and I can't thank enough the person who took the time to write it! Good Luck!

Stops breakout but doesn't cure..
Reviewed on February 20, 2017

I started taking zinc (50) and vitamin d3 (2200)tablets and vitamin c (1000 wit rose hip) twice a day it stopped breakout , in this two months I have had very few breakdouts that disappeared in 2-3days but it didn't do anything to my red marks on face it still looks the same when I started taking ...

It does help!!
Reviewed on October 23, 2016

I am so happy I learned about zinc. it has help to clear my skin in combination with oral Vitamin D3 and a balanced diet. I try to avoid dairy, sugar and coffee. I also use Saline solution 0.9% as a toner after washing my face morning and night, it recovers the natural PH of the skin, close pores, control Oiliness and give me a nice glow, with the advantage of being chemical free and super affordable.

Did not work for me
Reviewed on January 11, 2017

After taking 40 mg of zing per night for about 5 nights, I got horrible cysts on my cheeks and the skin around my mouth and nose became red and very dry and flaky. I was upset this didn't work for me after reading the review but I guess I just have to keep going with trial and error if I want to see improvement.

At least now I know this doesn't work for me so I won't try it again.

Zinc, Beta Glucan or D3 vitamin?
Reviewed on December 22, 2016

I'm taking beta glucan, zinc and D3 pills for month - two, and there is no single new spot on my skin and it is glowing.

Not sure what exactly helped. Year ago, I used beta glucan and D3 as well, but many other things as well - like

green tea, clay for drinking, clay and lemon masks, and lot of other teas, not drinking alcohol a lot and eating sugar, green smoothies.

My face suddenly became horrible, with a lot of break outs and cysts, then cleared and it was clear for some time., like 2 months.

Then I stopped using beta glucan, but continued to use D3 pills. After I stop using D3, my face became inflamed again, so I

started using it again at it did not help.

This year I started with beta glucan, and D3 but brought some zinc as well.

I do eat all I want, mix of fruit and vegetable salads, gluten, white breads and pasta, fried meets and some alcohol and sugar as well,

and it seems it is not affecting my face at the moment.

Above that, I'm moisturizing face with Argan or Rose hip oil (I used Rose hip oil last year when my face cleared, but I was using it as well when it became inflamed again).

AMAZING RESULTS- please read
Reviewed on November 16, 2016

I'm 22, and I've never really had what you'd call "severe" acne- however that's not to say my face isn't marred with old acne scars. In general I don't get big pimples, I get a whole bunch of tiny little pimples that are mostly the color of my skin, especially on my forehead and near my eyebrows down to the sides of my cheeks. I've tried everything- antibiotics (which worked for a while), Epiduo (which worked for a while, but then burned my skin), creams, washes, scrubs, plain water, hand soap, face mask, honey, etc etc etc in the end I attributed it to hormones. I don't wear a lot of makeup (eyeliner, blush, and that's it!)

Finally I settled on ZapZyt cream, and cetaphil face wash, which worked really well for those 1x a week painful pimples that would pop up- the soft ones that are really tender and under the skin. Ouchie. ZapZyt kept my acne at bay but my face was still populated by those ugly little pimples.

Once a week I use a lancer to clean out black heads from my nose and pop some pimples here and there but I knew I couldn't keep this up forever- I didn't want to. I'm 22!! I was annoyed with the fact that I still have acne- in HS I didn't have much, but as a college student it was frustrating.

Then I stumbled upon an article saying Zinc was necessary for those who don't eat a lot of meat- which I don't, I literally mainly eat eggs as any kind of meat (because I just don't care to make it for myself). I did more research and gathered a list of supplements I wanted to start taking to improve my overall health- and when I did even more research on each individual supplement I found out that Zinc has a correlation with acne!! Imagine my surprise! People with acne have lower levels of Zinc in their systems than those without acne by 24%- plus one study found that it was almost as effective as antibiotics (with the added advantage of your body not becoming immune to it).

So I figured, why not? I've tried everything else and spent so much- why not try a simple supplement?

I began to take 50mg of Chelated Zinc (gluconate) and found that because it's chelated, the elemental zinc is bonded to other chemicals to make it more acceptable to the stomach and body. 50mg of chelated zinc gluconate only contains about 7mg of elemental zinc- which was perfect for the recommended daily dosage of 9mg (sourced via several websites). Humans only need a little Zinc, and too much zinc could throw off the delicate balance of chemicals in the body and you could end up with a copper deficiency.

So for a week I just stuck to 50mg ZG- and within a day my skin made a huge improvement!! My skin looked luminous- what?? no way!! it has to be a fluke! and no new pimples had formed! Plus my old ones were healing quickly. I was stunned- I kept this up and by the end of the week my skin looked great. I couldn't believe a deficiency in a mineral was what was causing all of my acne! I upped my dosage to 1 and 1/4 of a tablet and saw and even greater improvement- my acne is 95% gone now. I still have a few bumps here and there but wow- I feel so much more confident in my skin. That and the oil on my face has decreased dramatically. My skin looks very matte most of the time now and my nose doesn't need much clearing out at the end of the week (black heads). So so soooo happy I took the leap and did some research.

To test that it was the zinc I skipped the Zinc for the day and I immediately, like that same night, broke out with 2 painful pimples on my chin. I hadn't gotten my period, or done anything different so I quickly took the zinc, put on some ZapZyt and woke up to a nicer complexion.

All I do now is wash my face and put on a little hemp seed oil if it gets dry. I don't use my cream that much anymore and putting on makeup is more fun because my skin looks so nice :D

Please consider trying this if you don't eat a lot of meat- or you have an odd diet and not a usual healthy omnivorous one.

by JustaRottenGirl on 11/16/2016 17:24
Also, please take Zinc only AFTER a meal, or towards the end- otherwise you're stomach is going to rebel badly. I tried to take it after eating just a pear and banana and I was nauseous for 2 hours- it was awful. I had to eat 2 bowls of cereal to get it to stop.
Didn't do much for me
Reviewed on October 21, 2016

I took it for almost 2 months, my breakouts stayed the same and the texture of my skin worsend, although the redness went down a little.

It's one of those products that you have to try, because it can either be really good or not do anything at all.

(I have cystic acne on both cheeks and blackheads in my t-zone)

Cystic acne breakout after 3 days
Reviewed on October 16, 2016

When I introduced L-Opti Zinc by Now Foods as a supplement every morning, my face became more inflamed and with the sheer number of cysts developing, I could no longer see the contour of my jawline. It was so horrific that I stopped after just 3 days. Even if that was just a purge stage, I definitely couldn't put up with that level of purging. When I stopped the zinc, the inflammation seemed to calm down overnight. I'm now trying probiotics instead, and will aim to re-introduce zinc again eventually and see if the same effects take place.

Great improvements with taking zinc
Reviewed on August 17, 2016

I've bought several zinc products from ebay (optizinc) and i've noticed improvement in the skin. I didn't break out as much and the inflammation went down. Zinc addresses the hormones in the body (acne is a result of a hormonal imbalance so it makes sense as to why the zinc would help. I would say try it out and find out for yourself. I've done my research and its good to do a lot of research and zinc does not have side effects from what i know of.

Take zinc with these other vitamins and your skin should clear up ! :D
Reviewed on August 8, 2016

Hi everyone! I have been lurking on these boards for a while now trying to find my almighty cure and I have finally found it thanks to you guys! Im writing this on each one of the vitamin pages that I take so I can perhaps help someone out that is going through the same thing! Taking zinc alone only helped a little but when I paired it up with these vitamins it completely changed my skin!

Ever since I switched my birth control a few months ago , my skin has gone haywire. I wouldn't say its HORRIBLE, but moderate acne feels horrible to me. I do the oil cleansing method with coconut oil and take zinc which manages it but I still get bumps here and there and it sucks and took a toll on my self esteem.

I read all over that other vitamins can help cure you from the inside. I had nothing else to loose so I thought I might as well try. I bought some NOW brand Vitamin A 25,000 IU tablets, some SPROUTS brand Vitamin E 400 IU and take it with my zinc 50 mg tablets.I take one each after I eat my breakfast. LET ME TELL YOU.... I HAVE NOT HAD ONE BUMP SINCE TAKING THESE!!!!! I am in complete shock! This along side with my habits of drinking lots of water has cleared my skin! So PLEASE, if you are feeling sad and fed up with your skin, just try it you have nothing to loose! :D

by Sclarke25 on 10/16/2016 16:10
Once you stop taking it does your skin break out?
by peacemama on 11/18/2016 17:51
Is this combo still working for you? I'm using Hemp oil(coconut breaks me out immediately) and taking Vitamin A, just ordered zinc, and now I think I may add vit E. Thanks for your review, please let me know if this is still giving you good results :)
by Kirah Rice on 03/13/2017 21:16
@peacemama @sclarke24 Yes they are still working for me! i bumped my vitamin a intake down to 10,000 iu! At 25,000 iu it made my skin quite dry! I have dry skin , with an oily t zone. And i also tried to stop taking the vitamin A and after a week bumps started coming back. So i would say once you are clear and happy with your results maybe take it every other day whatever you feel like would work :)
by acnekid10 on 04/02/2017 22:05
Which brand zinc do you take and is chelated