Vitamin B5

Recommended by 72% of visitors

Average price: $28.57

Most helpful review

By Anonymous, MKE,WI on 11/25/2012

I kept the dosage at 2 grams daily for about a month. The initial breakout lasted about 2 weeks , after that my oil production decreased significantly. However, a very severe tinge of red started to show across my face. At about the end of the month I stopped taking it since the amount of acne that was reduced wasn't significant enough to justify the redness/flakiness that my face was experiencing. Also the hair loss wierded me out and i started to suspect there may be long term effects of dosing this high. Bottom Line: Try it out since it does do what it claims - reduce oil production. I would say keep the dosage at 2 grams since I saw significant decreases at that amount, any dosage over that is just overkill..

Pros:
  • Reduced Oil Production
  • Smaller Pore Size
Cons:
  • Very severe initial breakout, with very "deep" nodules - lasted about 2 weeks
  • Increased facial redness significantly
  • Flakiness/Severe dry skin
  • Upset stomach for first 2 weeks
  • Increased hair loss
  • Hard to find in stores
  • Costly

12 out of 17 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

“B5 really has worked long term for me”
By on

I suffered from acne my whole life, repeated visits to the docs, and a dermatologist, and just to be fobbed off with a crappy cream and told it was just mild acne, my acne has never felt mild to me, it has ruined my life, I have never felt confident, most of the time I'd just stay in, make my excuses to friends about not going out, I got sick of it. Then one day I read about b5. I thought there was nothing to lose so I ordered a load in. I started off for 3 months on 10g a day, 5 tablets at a time spread throughout the day, it took a while to have any effect but I persisted, and I'm glad I did. After about 3mths I lowered the dose slightly, about 7g a day, sometimes lower sometimes higher because too low and I'd breakout slightly, but after about 6mth I couldn't believe how well it worked. Two years went by of complete confidence, my best two years of my life, this was using about 5g a day. It did get a bit tedious remembering to take them but I was regimental about it. But one day I thought I'd give them a rest, about a month went by until I'd break out again, so I had to go back, although I had to megadose again, I'm just at the lowering stage now. I do still get the odd zit now and again but my skin is so good and my confidence is sky high.

Could be nearly 3 years of usage now and I havnt had any severe symptoms, just rumbling belly and a bit of upset with diarreah. I am fed up taking the pills though, I will give it a rest again, after my summer holidays. Btw I take a multivitamin a day with them.

Male 35

Pros

• Pores tighten
  • Clear skin
  • What else do you need

Cons

• Lots of pills
  • Belly upset sometimes
  • Cost
  • for more than a year
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“I thought it worked but I plateaued and then worsened after a few months”
By on

I am changing my original review ....

I initially took 5 grams each day for 5 days. Then went to 10 grams every day, space over 4 increments.

I had minor stomach discomfort for a couple of days only.

I did this for about 6 months and then stopped after I eventually decided it wasn't really working.

I did actually notice a steady gradual improvement which motivated me to keep going. BUT upon reflection, I THINK it was just mean reversion - which is a common problem with anecdotal evidence I can admit I fell for. You see, before this treatment, I was using an LED blue light for a few months which really messed up my face, causing hundreds of black/white heads. While that sounds fairly harmless, it really took me 6 months to get rid of them and my complexion was really awful due to the light. This gradual clearing happened when I was on the B5. But I don't think it was the B5. I think it was the absence of the blue light. Meanwhile during the B5, even though all those hundreds of little plugs were slowly clearing, I was still getting roughly the same number of new pimples as before.

I was also dealing with mild accurate on chronic diarrhea the whole time on the b5. I went a week or two or even three being fine and then maybe a week it would flare up. It was worse with caffeine, even chocolate.

Then, after I hit 6 months, reality seemed to sink in that the number of new pimples I was getting wasn't really reducing, and the overall texture of my face had plateaued. Again, it was better, but I think it was just going back to how it was before I started the blue light. It might have even worsened a bit at this point, and I so went cold turkey, stopping all the pills. It just became clear it wasn't worth it.

However, my next quest turned out to be blissfully successful in about 2-3 weeks.

6 cups of green tea per day plus a topical vitamin C powder (brand "Philosophy"). I for some reason have an increased need for antioxidants (which surprised me since my diet is truly impeccable.)

Cheap, natural, easy and effective. Feeling great about my story.

Good luck!

i'm aged 31 and female.

Pros

• It helps somewhat but results might be short lived.
  • Not taking a nasty drug

Cons

• Inconvenient to take so many pills every day
  • Not sure of the long term side effects.
  • diarrhea
  • for a few months
  • $ 30
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Tried tons of meds, this is only thing that worked”
By on

For around a month I have been taking b5. I'd say for the first week I was taking 1000mg per day but quickly realised that it was an absurd amount so reduced it to one 500mg caplet per day. First thing I noticed was that it was making me really dehydrated first thing in the morning so this was another reason I reduced the dosage to one slow release caplet taken in the morning rather than taking one before I went to bed as the dehydration was causing me to wake up with headaches every morning. After a couple of weeks my skin seemed to be getting slightly dry in patches which I took as a sign of it working - hallelujah! This kept me going and helped me to remember to take a caplet every single morning without fail. I am now about a month in and the change in my skin is remarkable. Yes it is very dry and this does worry me, but as soon as I'm completely happy with my skin I'm going to halve the rest of the b5 tablets I have so I will be taking 250mg daily so hopefully this will decrease the dryness. I must add though that I am also nightly using a topical lotion called adapalene 0.1% cream which was prescribed to me. However if I were asked which I think were working I'd say it was the b5 for sure.

One think I have read though is that a continuation of taking a b vitamin for a long time period can reduce your levels of other b vitamins. So I may buy a multi b vitamin once I have ran out.

I definitely recommended trying it if you've been prescribed tons of other things like me and they didn't work. (Both topical and antibiotics).

Pros

• Clear skin
  • Buy one get one free from Holland and Barrat
  • Easier than creams etc

Cons

• Dyhydration and headaches if overdosing
  • Affects other b vitamins if taken for too long
  • for about a month
  • $ 4
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“didn't work”
By on

I took 10-15 pills a day. It didn't help with my severe acne...caused by the oil cleansing method. My hair started falling out about after 3 weeks so I stopped.

• $ 15
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Only thing that has worked for me.”
By on

I used vitamin B5, also called Pantothenic Acid, daily a couple of months ago. However, I ran out and did not buy anymore because my skin was in great condition and I figured that I no longer needed it. Recently, I broke out very badly and tried multiple products in order to get my acne under control (minocycline, epiduo, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, home remedies, you name it). After a few weeks of using these products, my acne was not getting any better. Then one day I remembered about B5! After about 3 days of use I noticed a major difference! Oil production decreased, blemishes decreased, and my face was becoming much clearer. I recommend taking 10g daily (20 500mg pills) for the first few weeks, and then over time decrease this dosage to 4g daily (8 500mg pills) as a maintenance dose. Also, it is good to space out the pills evenly throughout the day (I took 5 when I woke up, 5 early afternoon, 5 late afternoon, and 5 before bed). Doing so will diminish the possibility of experiencing side effects, which may include upset stomach and stomach pains. The best part about B5 is that it is water soluble, meaning that you cannot overdose on it because the body will simply remove the B5 that it cannot use through urination.

How B5 works:

Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) is a component of Coenzyme A. Coenzyme A is necessary for hormone production as well as fatty acid metabolism. During puberty, as hormone production increases, the body chooses to use coenzyme A to produce hormones and neglects fatty acid metabolism. Because the body uses coenzyme A for hormone production instead of fatty acid metabolism, sebum (skin oil) levels rise and acne follows. Supplementing with megadoses of vitamin B5 allows for enough circulating B5 to address both bodily processes, thus curing acne.

Pros

• Works very quickly
  • Minimizes oil production
  • Fewer blemishes

Cons

• Taking so many pills daily (however the pros outweigh the cons significantly)
  • Urinated frequently while taking B5 (probably because of all of the water I drank swallowing all of the pills!)
  • for a few months
  • $ 12.99
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Why is everyone overdosing?”
By on

The recommended intake for adults is 5mg, you guys are talking about grams! Please do your research before taking that much. Too much of a good thing is always bad.

“Don't waste your time.”
By on

I took 10 x 500 mg pills a day for one month. Five in the morning and five in the evening. I never noticed any difference in oil production. But it was doing something. My urine definitely became bright yellow and smelled awful. I had pretty significant indigestion as well. I have read some claims that you must take it at specific time intervals, with certain foods, and at greater amounts (sometimes even double what I was taking). That is just too inconvenient and not worth it to me. I can't schedule my life around taking pills like a addict all the time. On just one pill a day of accutane I can bath in mayo and still have perfect skin. And it is cheaper than taking b5. I also find it very hard to believe that taking this many pills of b5 long-term is a safer solution to accutane which produced far fewer side effects. Especially when I start reading about severe hair loss from b5 mega-dosing. That is a little more serious than cracked lips on accutane.

Pros

• easily accessible from GNC and other drug stores

Cons

• doesn't reduce oil production
  • not very cost-effective even if it did work
  • very inconvenient to take so many pills at different time intervals everyday
  • for about a month
  • $ 100
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“do your research!”
By on

this may seem like a godsent, but make sure you do your research before blindly trying this out.

sure, it can help with your acne and oily skin, even get rid of it all together -- but the price you might have to pay for it far exceeds acne. ever heard of telogen effluvium? google it up. megadosin on vitamin b5 for long, sometimes even only short periods will most likely reward you with this scalp disorder.

make sure you're ok with the risks before trying this out.

Pros

• it can cure your acne and get rid of your oily skin

Cons

• telogen effluvium -- thinning and shedding of your hair
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I'm 16 years old and started developing acne when I was around 12. It started on my forehead but then moved down to my chin and cheeks as I grew older. The acne on my forehead disappeared due to diet, but the amount of acne on my chin and cheeks was embarrassing. My mum found Vitamin B5 and told me to take it, I mean why not - it was worth a shot. Within days the amount of acne I had went down and I felt so much better! I took around 4 x 500 mg and its stopped almost all my breakouts! Definitely recommend this :)

Pros

• Works quickly
  • Effective
  • Clears skin
  • No side effects (for me)

Cons

• High dosage required
  • Expensive
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I am a 21 year old male and I saw the reviews on b5 so I gave it a shot. At first I was shocked at how quick i was clearing my skin. about 2 weeks later I started to break out very bad. Thought it was just the "initial breakout" but after a month my face was full of cysts even in places I have never broken out in. In addition, it gave me terrible gas, and I could not sleep for more than 2 hours every night. Megadosing is not the solution. I had less side effects on accutane. Time to go back...

Pros

• cleared skin the first few days
  • easy to get

Cons

• dry skin
  • cause a TERRIBLE breakout about 3 weeks later
  • stomach issues
  • bad gas
  • minor hair loss
  • moderate