Not Washing or Water Only reviews

3.7/5 - 68 reviews

After 4 weeks, clear
Reviewed on April 25, 2015

After 4 weeks, I did not seem to have any active pimples. I eventually reincorporated SPF and a cleanser (albolene) into my routine because I began exercising outdoors.

by Remi24 on 04/27/2015 08:29
Are you vegan? Did you get dead skin mask?
Finally acne free !
Reviewed on May 10, 2015

Hello guys, I'm nearly 18 and I've had acne since I'm 12. I've tried absolutely EVERYTHING. I've been to the dermatologist so many times, and took monocyclines for 8 months twice, I've used retinoids, AHA, DIY treatments (layering), apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda ... I've bought countless products each time convinced that the acne nightmare was about to be over. Unfortunately it always got worse and worse, there were small improvements sometimes but my skin was getting drier and drier, and always more sensitive and red. I decided to take a contraceptive pill one year ago (with possible dangerous side effects, but I didn't care, I just wanted to be acne free) and 5 months after because of the pill and a huge amount of stress, I broke out like hell, and experienced extra severe acne for the first time. My face was a mess, I started being very depressed and skipped school sometimes when I assumed I could not show my skin to the rest of the world. This was 7 months ago, and now, I almost have clear skin.

What did I do ?

It's mostly something that happens in your mind. I think acne is all about compulsive obsession and excessive care. I progressively reduced the amount of products I put on my face, and just washed it twice a day with a mild soap. The severe acne progressively went away, and I went back to the "normal" acne I used to have. BUT I kept on picking my skin. One week ago I've realised that picking is actually what allows pimples to keep on appearing on a regular basis. I've stopped picking since last week, and my skin looks fabulous. No new pimple, just some pimples healing, but they will soon be gone. Now I don't even use soap anymore, I just splash my face twice a day with warm water ( I find it better for oily skin) and ... that's all. My skin looks healthy and glows. My scars are slowly fading away, much quicker than what they used to do when I was using tons of products to help them fade. Tomorrow, for the first time, I'm going to school with bare skin. No foundation, no powder, maybe just one little touch of concealer on one or two scars. I feel free. I really really advise all of you who have tried everything and still get acne to do the caveman regimen and listen to their skin. And most importantly NO PICKING. I know it's super hard but that's the only way to be acne free.

Best of luck to you all !

Easy and works!
Reviewed on May 1, 2015

Even before this regimen, I never really liked putting on my natural apple cider vinegar toner or my moisturizer, so I stopped that long before trying water only. But for a few months, I had been using the honey and lemon mask everyday and just a few weeks ago, I realized that it was such a hassle to wash my face, make the mask, put on the mask, and then wash my face again. So with the help of my laziness, I just stopped everything, and I'm glad I did. My experience was surprisingly good and I also included the amount of coverup to make my skin look decent:

Week 1- Broke out and left lighter shades of scars (A LOT of powder foundation)

Week 2- Teeny tiny break out but left without scarring within 2 days and the old scars are healing faster (Still a good amount of powder foundation)

Week 3- A little dry skin but I exfoliated, no breakouts and scars were significantly lighter (enough liquid foundation to cover up all my scars)

Week4- No breakouts since week 2 and scars are very light (Very very little powder foundation)

A month and a half- Scars are gone and I have not gotten any breakouts since week 2 (Absolutely no foundation at all)

I was surprised I didn't break out when my skin felt dirty the first week, and my scars usually stay for months and they're usually very dark. My scars are completely gone with a little powder coverup if I am going to a party but now I can walk out the door confidently without any makeup on. My liquid and powder foundation were sensitive to water so they washed right off with water. I did exfoliate just once in these 2 months so I did not follow this regimen completely but the exfoliation was much needed and I did not breakout when I did it. Other than that, no moisturizer, toner, pimple treatment, or soap was used. I am also not the healthiest person, but I do drink a lot of water and I believe that that helped a lot too. I have saved soooooo much time and money by doing this so its really worth a shot, especially if you're lazy about your skin care routine.

My holy grail.
Reviewed on April 27, 2015

I have always had pimples and acne. It started when I was 11 and got worse with time. I'm 19 now, and I had become resigned to the fact that I'll always have acne. I couldn't go anywhere without people asking me about my acne, and giving me tips. I felt like screaming. I have used so many different products, it's laughable.

Then, about 2 weeks back, I just gave up. I stopped washing, toning and moisturizing. All I use is water and I scrub with my fingertips. And it all cleared up! No more acne, or pimples. I used to have oily build-up when I used products, but now my skin just looks healthy and happy. I would recommend this to everyone. Give it a try. :)

by Remi24 on 04/27/2015 08:25
Did you get dead mask with this routine? I tried this regimen but after 2 weeks I got small bumps on my forehead and around my cheeks. Please update us after 1 month. Thanks!
Depends
Reviewed on April 19, 2015

For me, Acne is a heritable trait. I have tried weaning myself off products, and it works for a short period . However, my skin quickly reverts back to "normal" a.k.a. combination and pimples, and I have to "purge" it again. However, for those who want to try the washing or water only method, take these factors in consideration before you use try: Is the product you are using irritating your skin? What kind of schedule/diet do you have? Products that dry out your skin actually cause you skin to produce more oil to compensate for the loss. Diary, for the people inquiring about dietary matters, have been known to break your skin out. The product that you're using may also may not be suitable for your type of skin. It would be beneficiary to look in the ingredients in the products.

This definitely works with a little common sense
Reviewed on April 17, 2015

I have combination oily/dry skin and growing up I always used this method because it made sense and worked. About ten years ago (18 years old) I got some stress-related acne and figured my luck had run out on not using products. I tried everything on the market and it got a lot worse. Then I went to a dermatologist who told me to wash with warm water, then rise with cold water and pat dry. If I was especially oily, he said to use a mild soap with moisturizer in it (Dove, Oil of Olay). That was pretty much what I already did before trying all the harsh products, and as soon as I went back to the basics my skin cleared up. I had since recently gone through the exact same cycle, and again as soon as I went back to basics my skin came back (after horrible, pizza face and cystic acne all over). It all cleared up and hasn't been back.

I think a lot of the hype about this "not working" may be from people who take it to the extreme. It's not a really extreme measure. Its as simple as feeling your skin out. If you feel extra oily, use warmer water on those areas and "melt" the oils down, guiding them to the dry spots, or wipe them in the warm water with a wash cloth. If that doesn't work, use a very thin layer of mild soap. If you are extra dry, use cold water. I swear it works for me and my skin is radiant and clear. No reason to strip off all of your natural oils just to back it up with moisturizing (which I do use, with SPF). Hope this helps.

best acne treatement
Reviewed on April 12, 2015

i've tried everything. chemicals organic products you name it but everytime i started a new product it just seemed to be getting worse. i heard about this routine and i decided to give it a try. week 1 and 2 i experienced purging and its very important not to pick at it (i picked at one and it worsened) but i got no new zits. my hyperpigmentation was going away, the acne i did get was very tiny and went away within the day. i havent washed my face for a month and it looks better than it has in years. it also has this glow to it that never occured with any other product. ive also stopped eating dairy products, as it cause hormonal imbalances, and i take cod liver oil pills. give it a try if youre frustrated, its worked so much for me! just let your skin do its thing

THE TRUTH & BEAUTY
Reviewed on April 7, 2015

So I have started for 4 days and I felt so much FREE and RELIEVED! SAVING MY TIME AND MONEY!

I started it slowly by reducing water on my face, but absolutely NO FACIAL WASH PRODUCT. I told myself to commit to NO MAKE UP and keep bare face as much as I could. It was a HUGE CHALLENGE for me, but after 2 days, the fear was gone! I am using cotton pads soak with a bit water to wash of dust occasionally if I was doing activities outdoors. Olive oil or coconut oil to remove eye make up (only mascara :P). Every 2 days I apply night moisturizer, coconut oil for my under eye treatment. I am thinking to cut off night moisturizer as I saw NO IMPROVEMENT between having or not having moisturizer.

So far I have been enjoy the regimen so much, I am now having more time to look after my diet and taking time to do my exercise, instead of spending time for facial treatment and make up, I am now saving around 1-2 hrs/day and for sure lots of money:P

I think this regimen is very related to the fact that you gotta believe in the TRUTH, THE NATURE. Let your skin be natural on its way, better do NOTHING to cover it up or prevent it to be natural:) Don't you love yourself,? Perhaps I have loved myself in an incorrect way for years that's why I have been suffering from acne and sensitive skin. Now thanks God I found the way to love my TRUE SELF and be close to NATURE & THE TRUTH

I wish everyone found your own way to treat your skin as long as loving yourself:)

Be beautiful :x

Get better after 1 week
Reviewed on April 4, 2015

i was tired with my oily skin, black head and white head acnes. I has tried many cosmetic but its getting worse. 4 months before, I quit coffee after a stroke ( Im Vietnamese so I drink super strong coffee, the original liquid extract from dried coffee bean without sugar, not the one with cream and milk you guys always have). 2months before I start taking Omega 3 and Vitamin E, and 1l of Non GMO soymilk daily. My skin got better, but still oily. Then last week I heard about no-wash method, it reminds me of the time my son was born, i didnt wash my face for a year because I was damn busy with him and i didnt have time for myself. And that time my face was super super beautiful that everybody keep asking me for tips. So I started this method last week. Im still using spf50 sunscreen 2 times/day, I splash water on my face several times a day, pat my face with fingers to dry it. Use face cream at night. Clean my makeup with olive oil and clean olive oil with cotton pad, then splash water until I dont feel any oil on face. After a week, my husband confirm that my skin look better, and a friend ask me how my skin glow and smooth like that ... my acnes still here, but because my skin less oily so they wont show up like before.

Please don't do this
Reviewed on February 16, 2015

I bought into the hype but 11 weeks later I've realised it makes no sense.

My active pimples started to go away by week 6 or 7, and it was great. Or so I thought. I got into the habit of avoiding mirrors too close and just feeling "clear" from a distance. Little did I know.

I just used water and patted dry with a towel every day. Maybe lightly brushing off dead skin once a week. It backfired big time. I've ended up with seborrheic dermatitis and thousands of tiny bumps, and sometimes noticably red bumps. I'm only now trying to treat it and of course, I have 11 weeks of built up clogged pores to purge out of my skin. So now I'm breaking out badly and in areas where there isn't acne' it's just all bumpy and red anyway.

If I can prevent one person from making this mistake, it'll be useful at least. I'm only one solitary person, on this earth for just a tiny fraction of time.

Please just try and find gentle products that work for you. If I had spent those months experimenting and patch testing I could be on my way right now.

Best of luck. Dont cry for me Im already dead

by damagedspoon on 03/09/2015 22:59
I was looking into the "Caveman Regimine" and stumbled onto this page. This comment was first. I didn't know what seborrheic dermatitis was, so I Googled it. For anyone that's curious, seborrheic dermatitis isn't caused by poor hygeine, as this post suggests. According to the National Eczema Association, it's the same condition that causes Cradle Cap and dandruff. "The cause of seborrheic dermatitis is thought to be due to an abnormal inflammatory response to a yeast normally found on the skin: Malassezia. Like eczema, many factors can aggravate seborrheic dermatitis including stress, change of seasons, illnesses, and heavy alcohol use, to name a few." Like anything, you should be careful and watch yourself for abnormal changes in your body when you try something new. There's always the possibility that you could have a reaction because of allergies or sensitivities unique to your own body.
by drosoulita on 03/11/2015 08:04
wash with saw dust if you like but acne will disappear only if you eat 80% raw for a few weeks. Anythiung else id patented and a waste of money and time! Raw food helps leprosy. Google it!