Gluten Free Diet reviews

4.2/5 - 21 reviews

Cleared in a few weeks!
Reviewed on July 21, 2017

I'm 16 years old and have tried everything to get rid of my acne.. since I was 12 I've had it all over my forehead. I had tried everything you can think of, from natural DIYs to expensive high dollar face wash, but literally nothing made a difference. I was so disappointed.. Recently I went to the ER because I couldn't breathe and the doctor told me I had bronchospasms (a type of asthma where your lungs spam due to allergies). The doctor also told me I had bad excema under my right eye. My mom is a real health nut, so she decided for me that I needed to stop eating gluten. At first I was SO SO SO against it... because let's be honest here, what teenager doesn't like pizza and honey buns!! After a few days I noticed a difference in how I felt. I felt more energized, I could breathe, my stomach didn't hurt from all the bread, my skin looked great and my excema was completly gone! I couldn't believe it. A few more weeks after eating gluten free, and my skin was completly clear! It went from my forehead being covered in big pimples, to having 1 or 2 occasionally. I was so shocked that taking one thing out of my diet would make such a HUGE differnce in how I felt! Boys and girls: gluten causes problems believe me..

I have chose to eat gluten free for the rest of my life and this is coming from a teenage who loves junk food ! Taking it out of my diet made me feel good and my skin look great.

Week 3 and Immediate Difference for First Time in My Life!
Reviewed on July 10, 2017

I'm a 36 yr old woman and have had acne all of my life. It has affected my confidence, everything. I can't even believe I didn't try this until now. I've done every single thing including removing dairy years ago, ensuring hygiene is excellent (changing pillow cases, cleaning my phone frequently, make up brushes... you name it.) I could NOT figure out why my acne never went away, even as I got older. I did notice a good improvement when I increased water intake, cut out the majority of junk foods/sugars/fried foods, and ensured I was sleeping well, so I do not want to discount the fact that I have been doing all of those things bit by bit over the years. But it still felt like breakouts would come out of absolutely no where - stress or not, they just kept coming. I really believe in the science behind the notion that acne is reflective of something out of balance inside the body- and in particular in the gut- and so I kept trying new things. Anyways, I'm pretty annoyed that I never believed it could be gluten (thought this was a hipster fad for the most part, aside from those with celiacs, etc) and anyhow, within literally 2 days of trying the gluten-free diet (in my mind, I did it simply to prove a point to myself that it couldn't possibly be it!), a major cystic acne flare up along my jaw, chin, and lower cheeks went down about 90%. I've never in my entire life seen such a quick improvement in my acne unless I was put on antibiotics. Right away, I also noticed digestion related changes for the better as well. After that, I didn't even find it hard to keep going on this - I felt so excited! It might be a bit frustrating some days at restaurants when I want to eat something and can't, but I'm finding so many delicious alternatives, it's really not that hard. My complexion is absolutely improving. I'm very, very grateful. I'm pretty angry that it took 36 yrs of hating my skin and that all of the dermatologists insisted it couldnt be diet related..... but, hopefully this post helps someone else out there. Try it. I also ditched all lotions awhile back as well, and went to a simple high quality organic jojoba oil too- so there's another tip for those looking to moisturize without clogging up pores.... good luck!

Had tried (almost) everything!
Reviewed on June 23, 2017

At 40 years old I developed moderate-severe cystic acne out of no where. I had never struggled with such bad acne. It was predominantly on my chin, jawline and sometimes my cheeks and forehead. I was prescribed countless topicals and oral antibiotics (including birth control and spiro). Nothing helped. My dermatologist, my gynecologist and my primary care physician all told me that Accutane was the only remaining option. And while I wasn't opposed to trying it, I wanted to exhaust less extreme options first. So, after two solid years of painful, cystic acne, I cut out gluten (and aimed to eat a low glycemic diet). Within two weeks of cutting out gluten, my acne seemed to calm down. Within three months it was entirely gone. At the 6 month mark I allowed myself a tiny bit of gluten (at one meal) and my acne came back within a week. It's now been 18 months of avoiding gluten and trying to eat a low-glycemic diet, and my acne is under control. I made the choice to have a tiny bit at one meal about a month ago and I'm still waiting for the pimples to clear up from that one gluten meal. It's worth noting that I'm a vegetarian and have been for 25 years (so, I was a vegetarian before the acne started and after). No idea what caused me to so suddenly have the acne reaction to gluten, but there's absolutely a connection. I eat gluten (or a high glycemic meal) and I get a horrible breakout. My pcp says it's hormonal/androgen related (we've done no blood work to confirm that...). Anyway, I wanted to share my story. I was a gluten-lover and it was tough to make the diet change, but if you're struggling with acne it might be worth trying. Good luck.

Diet is Everything
Reviewed on February 18, 2017

For the past 5+ years, i have experienced moderate to severe cystic acne. My diet consisted of mostly fast food, sugar, and simple carbs (crackers, cookies, pretzels, etc.) and I honestly just felt terrible most of the time. I initially started going on a gluten/dairy free diet simply because i had heard that it was much healthier and to see if would be a cure for my chronic fatigue. I have now been gluten and dairy free for about 6 months and can honestly say it was one of the best decisions of my life. Now I not only have much more energy and focus, but my acne has also finally completely cleared up. I Most doctors will tell you that diet has nothing to do with acne, but believe me when I say that that is entirely false. For me, the key was cleaning up my diet by switching to foods that promote a healthy gut (high fiber, probiotics, water, etc.) and steering away from fried foods, sweets and added sugars. If you struggle with acne and think gluten might be the cause, I would definitely urge you to try cutting it out of your diet in favor of more healthy alternatives. At the very least, you will almost surely feel healthier and more vibrant than ever before.

Holy Grail Miracle Cure!
Reviewed on December 23, 2016

I posted a super long detailed message and the site malfunctioned and it was all lost. I'm too aggravated to rewrite it all. Backstory: inflamed, tiny zits popped up everywhere weeks after I weaned my baby at 30 years old. I am now 34. I am finally cured. The wheat free diet started working after only 4 days! Totally clear by the 2 week. Unreal! 95% of bumps just gone. Still a few near hairline where my hair is greasy. I had done every topical and skin supplement on this earth. It was getting worse! I had gone dairy free and it did NOTHING. My Dr was dismissive when I asked about food potentially causing acne but luckily I am persistent and did my own research and gave it a try. Don't cheat! No bites of cake and no croutons! The tons of tiny face bumps I had are gone!! (Never had cystic acne) Give this a try!! It could be your miracle cure too. I'm now undergoing genesis laser treatments and glycolic peels (40%) to deal with residual texture and pore issues. Please try this. It's not that hard. I got cookbooks from the library. I think wheat is probably more of a poison than a food. I can't believe what it was doing to me without me even realizing it. How sad.

Gluten Free - Acne Free
Reviewed on November 5, 2016

I've discovered gluten (grains) is the source of my acne on lower cheeks and around the mouth. After i realized Dairy was the reason of my back acne i went gluten free to discover my face acne is cause by gluten. Trough a lot of time spent on trial and error on gluten free diet i finaly made a sustainable gluten free diet and my face stoped breaking out after just a week of gluten free diet.

The main culprit of my back acne was dairy and lower cheek, around the mouth acne was gluten.

Now i know if i ingested something that doesnt suit me from the location of my acne.

Im acne gluten and acne free for 2 motnhs now.

Anyway give it a go, and hopefuly it helps you also. No need to go vegan or blah blah, just cut out gluten containing food.

Only way to clear my acne altogether
Reviewed on October 2, 2016

I have had cystic acne for about ten years. On my back and shoulders, on my face mostly around jaw on the cheeks and around mouth. I have been to three different dermatologists and I had an Accutane-like treatment. Nothing helped. About three years ago I started exercising and my acne improved. I never ate a lot of dairy but to get more muscle I started drinking more milk and it worsened my acne so I stopped, that was about a year ago. Then my dad bought some green tea. I drank about three cups a day because I had a cold at the time and my acne started improving by a lot, it didn't clear up completely, that was about two months ago. I read a lot about green tea and its anti-inflammatory properties so I started eating a very different diet (so called anti-inflammatory), mostly vegetables, fruits and legumes, very little meat, some fish and a home made whole wheat and rye bread. Everything was going great, I was losing fat, my mood improved, but acne was still there. So I tried to stop eating the bread as it was the only gluten containing food I ate. That was about a week ago and I feel no pain from the remaining acne and no new has appeared since. I feel extremely stupid for trying this so late. Gluten free being such a hipster fad it made me skeptical it would be the only solution but it was. Only thing I will miss is beer (I am Czech).

Nothing spectacular
Reviewed on August 8, 2016

I've been off of gluten for about three months now, my main motivation in making that change was to see if it would make a difference in my moderate hormonal acne. While I have felt a generally better sense of well being (more energy, less stomach aches, bloating, gas, and indigestion) I haven't seen much improvement in terms of my skin. The bumps on my cheeks have calmed down a bit but I still get nasty hormonal flare ups along my chin, jaw, and near my mouth

Nope
Reviewed on July 3, 2016

Didnt really help...

Tried going vegan did improve my skin but, one step further didnt going gluten free didnt get me the results i hope for, tried it for a year, i suppose I can just say hello to some beloved wholemeal bread again

Has made such a difference
Reviewed on February 5, 2016

I decided to give gluten-free a go after feeling as though I had tried everything else. My GPs had always said that my acne had nothing to do with my diet but seemed to only want to treat the symptoms not the cause. When they suggested I go on to heavier medication to age the skin and so bypass any hormonal changes I decided to experiment for myself and see if I could make a change on my own without resorting to that. I was tested for coeliac disease which came back negative but my mother has coeliac disease and so I have always wondered whether I might have a sensitivity. When I went gluten free the first change I noticed was in my nails; they used to crack and split regularly but now are much stronger. After about 2 months I noticed a dramatic improvement in my skin too, to the point where I have had a number of comments from people who have asked what treatment I've had done. My pigmentation from previous acne is starting to level out and clear up, and from previously having borderline cystic acne on a daily basis, I now just get the occasional tiny whitehead which clears up in a day or so. It is not easy to give up gluten but once I did my energy levels were better, I don't get hunger pangs as much and my skin looks better than it has since I was 13. If you are like me and at the end of your tether with acne, consider giving it a go for at least a month and see if you notice any change.