Flaxseed Oil reviews

updated: 09/28/2016 00:49 UTC
Nature Made Flaxseed Oil, 1000mg, Softgels, 100 ea
updated: 09/28/2016 00:49 UTC

Flaxseed Oil

AVOID THIS PLEASE! CAUSED CYSTIC ACNE.
Reviewed on August 11, 2016

Wow. Wow. Wow. Where do I begin ?

I read that this product was great for acne scarring and as someone with long term acne scarring I thought why not ? Ha! Ha! This gave me the absolute worst skin of my entire life, so much so that I must create this review for anyone who doubts the reviews below. This gave me worse skin than puberty or any other thing i have ever experienced. Wow, I can laugh about it now but at the time it was not funny.

My skin broke into HUGE CYSTS they almost looked like boils, they were huge and prominent, i had to call in sick for work, they were that bad. All over my face, my face became OILY, not glowy, I mean OILY as in I had to wipe it with a tissue often to get the oil off. I was very greasy and oily with huge boil looking things on my face. I did not go to work for a week till they went away.

The single worst thing my skin has ever gone through. Please do not be like me and read the few positive reviews and the 'it gets better!' folks and pay attention to the people who reacted to this is there is any chance you won't be able to live with huge cysts which look like boils ALL over your face forehead, jaw, cheeks. DO NOT USE THIS.

Stay away!
Reviewed on July 5, 2016

I am prone to getting hormonal acne around my mouth. Normally it's not bad and I can live with it. When I started taking flaxseed oil it got horrible and I only realized after weeks that this was the reason. I also think that I started to smell differently (maybe not true though). I stopped taking it immediately and it still took months for me to get back to normal. I think it's due to the phytoestrogens it contains. Many people are estrogen dominant anyways, especially if you suffer from hormonal acne (may be cause by xenoestrogens). I am currently trying out DIM, which I find a logical conclusion, since flaxseed made everything so much worse.

Caused cystic acne
Reviewed on May 30, 2016

This is the first review I've written- to warn the acne prone to stay away. My skin was clear for 8 months on the B5 regimen, then I started taking flax seed for my health and woke up to an acne cyst and now have a scar. Stay away!!!

Stay away from Flaxseed Oil
Reviewed on February 7, 2016

Fish oil caps had given me the worst forehead acne - I've never had it before and when my dermo recommended that I take flax seed instead I was hesitant - and as it turns out, I should have listened to my gut instinct and said no because lo and behold, four days in, I'm sporting a crop of deep pimples across my forehead and it keeps on coming!

If you're sensitive and have had problems with fish oil, I would NOT touch flaxseed.

Ground Flaxseed, Not Flaxseed Oil Works Wonders For Me
Reviewed on January 16, 2016

I had tried 1200mg of Flaxseed Oil a day as a supplement to help relieve a-fib symptoms. I had taken it in capsule form with food, but the oil had caused mild stomach pain every day so I stopped taking it. I then tried eating Ground Organic Flaxseed, a few tablespoons a day with a glass of water and WOW THAT WORKED! No stomach pain for one thing and I noticed it helps quiet my heart regarding a-fib symptoms. What surprised me most, however, was that it cleared-up my face regarding daily acne I had suffered years with from shaving! I had tried different soaps and various acne-fighting products for over 40 years rarely having a clear skin day! Now my face is clear nearly every day! Thank you God for this!

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: caused painful cyst
Reviewed on January 10, 2015

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: AVOID THIS!

I normally use fish oil but I had run out and was waiting for my shipment to arrive. I knew I had flaxoil in my fridge from less than a year ago and it was not expired so I decided to take a tbsp (recommended dosage) until my order arrived. Took it one night, woke up with a under skin cyst on my left chin but that is pretty normal to have just one before my menses begins (that is the hormonal acne area). Skipped the next because I forgot. But the night after that I took another tbsp and woke up with ANOTHER cyst right next to the other one. Still did not put two and two together and then last night took another tbsp and what do ya know.. another cyst right above the 2 I got earlier. i HAVE NOT change my cleasing regimen (I use coconut oil and doterra essential oils to cleanse morning and night for over 2 months now with amazing results.. no acne hardly minus the few small ones prior to my menses) No diet changes.No lifestyle changes. Nothing out of the norm except the flax. That's how I know it was the culprit of my 3 large cyst joining forces to become ONE GIANT lump on my poor chin.

I have been icing the crap out of them and luckily the swelling has gone down, but these are the kind of cyst that wont surface, they just need time to go away AND hopefully won't scar. Despite their ugly appearance.. they are SO painful. Hurts to eat, talk, smile.. ugh. Never taking flaxseed oil again ever!

Never again!
Reviewed on December 30, 2014

it's been more than ayear that I have been having acne. my skin was fairly clear since until I became pregnant with my second child with indigestion, a friend of mine recommended I use flax seed/oil to help improve my metabolism. I researched on it as they said flax may not be good for pregnant women ( though I found out it was fine, in fact I gave birth to a super healthy boy). Anyway, I started getting some acne on my Left lower cheek... and to the right... I placed some topical cream hoping it would help which it did temporarily. now, more than a year has passed, and I still have acne that seems to get worse... I'm trying to remember what I did different why I started to have acne?! all I did was add flax seed to my diet... I guess I won't be taking any more flax starting today.

cystic acne got worse
Reviewed on April 8, 2014

I took ONE pill of flax seed oil because I had taken evening primrose oil and my hormonal acne almost cleared up in a week and a half. But...it was causing weight gain. So, I figured flax seed might be the next best thing. Omg no. By the end of my shift at work, I had new cysts in places I never get them. I didn't dare take another dose. Four days later I'm still breaking out but it's calming down.

Reviewed on December 14, 2012

I took a chance on this as I didn't want to go on any crazy overdose of other vitamins/minerals and was looking for something simple and cheap.

The RDA for the (Holland & Barrett UK) cold pressed raw oil I had was 5ml twice daily. Advantages of taking the raw oil form is you can control how much you take. I estimated 10ml seemed a little too much for me (I'm only 5 foot 1 female) and from a little googling the level of phytoestrogen is the highest available in any foods (the second was tofu/soya bean). I took a small tea-spoon (not table-spoon), after dinner each night.

The first 2 days my skin seemed more moisturised and my pores seemed to become smaller. After that it started to make my mild eczema worst (under my lips and chin, nose). I took this for a month and had to stop. My acne seemed to get just a little worst, but I was expecting this.

So, I thought that was that, doesn't work for me and left it...

Four months later after stopping, I have noticed after each monthly menstral cycle, my skin gets less and less acne, my pores have become more smaller, and overall my skin is alot better. The acne also takes less time to heal.

Regimen:

1)Exfoliate with my old towel (its 6 years old & balanced to my skin and isn't hard or too rough), hot water, gently wipe dead skin, old blemishes.

2)Johnson & Johnson Gently Daily Scrub - wash off

3) Quinoderm Anti-Bacterial Facewash - only use a small penny size amount - this is great stuff and has reduced the severity of my acne too.

Do Not Wash off Quinoderm - leave on

4)Neutrogena Visibly Clear 2 in 1 Wash/Mask - only on nose and cheeks - leave on. Do not use on eczema patches, will make it worst.

Morning - brush teeth then wash off

Night - have shower then wash off

5)BodyShop Aloe Vera Toner & Vitamin E Spray on cotton pad around face

6)BodyShop Vitamin E Moisturiser - only a little

7)Salcura Intensive Eczema Spray on eczema

Reviewed on December 1, 2012

I'm not sure why, but this broke me out horribly. I am a male and I'm guessing that it is the phytoestrogens. I have noticed that this tends to help girls more than guys. Estrogen dominance may be a cause of acne for some people, so please be weary of this. Flax is also very high in omega 6's which is not so good and the conversion rate of ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) to DHA and EPA can be very low in most people. I think I saw a study showing it to range from .4% to 16%.