Epsom Salt reviews

4.8/5 - 34 reviews

The Natural Balancer
Reviewed on May 13, 2014

I have had acne since I was 10 years old in 5th grade. I neglected my skin throughout my school years because my acne condition was mild to moderate. When I graduated and went on to college, my acne flared it big fat ugly head up like there was no tomorrow. I realized that I had to do something. I tried everything that promised to "treat" acne. I've tried doctor's prescriptions, salicylic acid products, benzoyl peroxide products, department store products, drugstore products and each time I end up with burning, unbearable skin. Drying up your skin is never the answer! You need to nourish it and protect it and promote it's health. It was like trying to lose weight by starvation.

Then one day, as I am soaking in a hot Epsom Salt bath after overworking my muscles, I decided to apply some to my face also to relax my whole being. I realized as I was washing and scrubbing the Epsom salt against my skin, it was not rough like regular salt, it melted and smoothed my skin. It had a slippery texture that just dissipate instead of agitating my skin. When I got out, I noticed that my skin felt tighter, firmer. There was slight irritation due to the excessive amount of Epsom salt on my skin earlier, but my skin DID NOT DRY out. I've ALWAYS had a little bit of dry flaky patch of skin around my smile lines, and it gets worse in winter time.

After this occurrence, I decided to mix Epsom Salt into my face wash. Laugh as you might but I use Bath and Body Works Body Wash as my face wash because I had to use it once on vacation after I'd forgotten to pack face wash and it worked wonderfully to remove dirt and dead skin without drying out my face. After a week of just washing my face twice a day with the Epsom salt mix, my skin cleared up. The small white heads and black heads that emerged during the first few days disappeared and I was left with clear, firm, tight skin, never DRY or oily skin. So my advice to you is to go to Wal-Mart and pick yourself up a bag of 6lbs of Epsom Salt for $5! Add it into whatever regimen you are comfortable with and see your skin magically balance itself out. What have you to lose? $5 bucks, and if it doesn't work for you, then you can mix it into your bath or into a household cleaner.

Epsom Salt is not to be confused as a sodium as the name might sound but rather 100% Magnesium Sulfate. Magnesium Sulfate is a combination of Magnesium, Sulfur, and Oxygen. I like to think of Epsom Salt as a purger and balancer. It purges your skin of impurities externally and purges you internally when consumed. It draws out all the waste and impurities from you. It soothes and relaxes your muscles with topical use. It does not strip your skin as other cleansers and it is dirt cheap.

WONDERFUL
Reviewed on May 2, 2014

I first want to say THANK YOU to all of you who wrote reviews about epsom salt! It works! My son has SUFFERED with moderate to severe acne since he was 12. He is now 16. NOTHING has worked until now. A combination of things have cleared him up. Nothing has worked alone. First, we use epsom salt at night. Works GREAT. Second, we used lemon juice in the winter to fade the red spots, awesome! Then we used GREAT products from Skinfit Austin. Finally what put it over the edge and completely cleared him up was going gluten free! It's not as hard as it used to be. There are plenty of substitutes now. Just keep your own GF bread or buns with you and you're good. Thank you all for your reviews!!!

Purge
Reviewed on April 22, 2014

I don't know what it is about Epsom Salts. But it always sends my body into a purge, making my skin look like a splotchy, red, broken out mess. It always clears up after a couple weeks, however. It's especially great for back acne. If you don't mind all of your infections being brought to the service at once, this is for you! Which is why I had to rate it not perfect because I cannot stand purges!

What it does to my skin is rush all the blood to any area that needs healing, including scars. If there is an infection/blocked pore, it will cause that area to swell up for a few days, then a whitehead will form. I highly, highly recommend you doing this over a long weekend or on vacation. It will make you feel disgusting as well because all of the toxins coming out of you. Make sure to drink a ton of water.

It will also make you sleep like a baby!

I am a believer!!!!
Reviewed on January 13, 2014

I am an almost 30 year old female who as a teenager did not suffer from acne at all - I actually had clear skin and would often get complimented on my clear complexion! About a year ago I started to get acne.....blackheads....whiteheads....big pimples....little pimples.... It seemed as though anything I did did not help at all....went on the contraceptive pill, bought hundreds of dollars on skin are products and nothing. I was starting to give up hope and was about to try a peroxide based cream (which I was extremely hesitant to do) when I came across a review for Epsom Salts. I thought to myself....what do I have to lose? There were so many positive reviews.... And it just seemed do simple and cheap! After a day, my skin was the clearest it has been in over a year. I could not believe it. I have been using epsom salt morning and night for 3 days now and my blemishes are almost all gone. I had some scarring as well and that is fading each day. I cannot believe it! it amazes me at how simple, cheap and easy it is. All I do is wash my face with cleanser, dissolve about a tablespoon of epsom salt into a cup of warm water and wipe on my face. I let it sit for about 10 mins then wash it off with water and apply moisturiser. THATS IT. I honestly cannot speak highly enough of Epsom salts and the impact it's had on my skin. I only wish I had taken before and after photos. If you suffer from acne....you've got to try Epsom Salts!!!!!!

Relief!!
Reviewed on January 10, 2014

I typically have extremely clear skin. Growing up I had acne here and there because of puberty/not taking care of my skin. Up until a year ago I was able to confidently say that I never broke out.. Unless I didn't take off all my makeup the night before. Even then, it was small and nothing a little concealer couldn't fix. A year ago I started breaking out, everywhere. I was extremely stressed out.. Mentally/physically (insomnia). I went on birth control to calm down my hormones and everything went away. When I went off my BC I'd only break out here and there. About two months ago I started breaking out badly. Very badly. Almost the way I did when my hormones were messed up because of stress. I honestly thought nothing would fix it. I was about to go on BC again until I found this site via looking up Epsom salts. This stuff is a god send. Very amazing. It's been five days.. First got a little worse now it's just getting SO much better every time I wash. I started by washing with dove then putting ES water mixture.. Past couple of days I've been sleeping with ES dried on my face. Wake up with significantly smaller blemishes. Sometimes they're a little irritated when I first wash but redness goes away. Love this stuff!! Please try it before taking oral medication!!!

A quick fix that actually fixes
Reviewed on December 24, 2013

About epsom salts: I was nursing a mega breakout right before Christmas due to eating party food and drinking Margaritas. It's the holidays, so it's hard to stay on a gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar free diet with so much delicious stuff all over the place to eat!

Anyway, I was totally bummed that I would be stuck with these four huge zits for the entirety of the holidays... these were deep and the kind that hurt, so I was certain they'd last a week. In desperation, I soaked my entire body in epsom salt like I normally do, but also put a hot washcloth soaked in the stuff on my face, refreshing it with more whenever it cooled. I probably stayed in the tub doing this for 30 minutes, and my zits were SIGNIFICANTLY reduced in size, swelling, and redness. Thrilled, I covered them overnight with a retinol (Philosophy - Help Me) and a paste made from epsom salts and the next evening in the shower they PEELED OFF and were GONE. The spots where they were are still a bit pink, but they are GONE GONE GONE and my face does not hurt anymore.

On diet: I should note that I COMPLETELY stopped eating sugar, dairy, and drinking alcohol except red wine after I broke out, so I would not get any new zits. I think diet is the #1 way to prevent acne from occurring, and if you're breaking out like there's no tomorrow you should get rid of dairy, empty carbs, sugar, and grain alcohol from your diet. I also recommend omitting gluten and grains for a trial period to see if you have any sensitivities to that, as well. I can eat small amounts of grains, but more makes me break out as I am VERY carb sensitive. It's best for me to just pretend that I can't eat grains at all, even though it's a sensitivity to insulin spikes rather than an allergy to a specific thing that causes breakouts for me. I can't stress enough that cow's milk needs to be gone from your diet, either. That stuff is like a breakout in a jug for me, and I'm surely not the only one.

Conclusion: epsom salts are AMAZING for dealing with a breakout you already have, but if you are having breakouts that you can't control, you should look at cutting excess carbs and dairy from your diet.

Amazing for cystic acne!!! Must Try!!
Reviewed on November 10, 2013

I'm 30 year old male. I had to start taking testosterone about a year ago because my levels were low. Over the past year I've developed pretty bad cystic acne. Not the painful kind but large cysts that never went away. I've started using Epsom Salt as a spot treatment. Wetting my finger and rubbing the salt directly on the salts. If I can stay home I leave it on mostly all day, or at least 3-5 hours if I can. WORKS WONDERS!!!. It either brings the cyst to a head or reduces it. I also wash my face with water and Epsom salt at night and in the morning. Sometimes I rinse it off, sometimes I don't. Unfortunately, it is a case of it gets worse before it gets better because it clears everything out of your pores but I say STICK IT OUT. IT WILL REALLY CLEAR UP YOUR SKIN. And really use it as a spot treatment for cystic acne. I've tried everything this is the only thing that works. TRY IT!!!

LIFE SAVER.
Reviewed on November 8, 2013

In September I started randomly breaking out like there was no tomorrow, and in places I've never had it before.. Like my chin, cheeks, jaw line. It was AWFUL. Before September my skin was clear enough to be on the front cover of a magazine! So the search began to clear up the mess... I tried EVERYTHING!!!! From home remedies and over the counter washes..to vitamins, you name it I tried it.. Nothing would work!!! I was at CVS every four days for two months buying a new face wash in the hopes to find something that'd work.. I even singed up for tanning I got so desperate. I came across benzoyl peroxide 10% which worked great at first but after a few days my face was so dry I looked like a 90 year old lady and it had stopped working. None the less I looked up the ingredients in BP and it had five pore clogging ingredients.. Figures.. So my boyfriend sat me down and told me to find something natural without 1000 chemical ingredients in it.. He told me to try Epsom salt.. I kind of laughed when he told me but he's usually right about a lot of things so it gave it a try.. At first it got worse and I wanted to stop but he told me it brings out all the acne under the skin at first and then clears it all up.... Boy was he RIGHT!!! After four days my skin if finally itself again... Two months of trying every damn face wash known to man Epsom salt worked!!!!!! I am so beyond happy and I want to tell the world!! And my skin isn't an oily mess anymore, thank god for Epsom salt!!!

So far, so good!
Reviewed on August 20, 2013

I'm only giving this 4 stars because I don't want to jinx it! I never had awful acne-ridden skin, just a few breakouts here and there, until I went back to university after Christmas break. My cheeks and temples were completely covered in red bumps. Covered. I tried Proactive, but it did nothing for me. Went to the doctor and was prescribed an antibiotic that didn't work. I tried Spectro and Differin and countless other things, but nothing worked. It was the most embarrassing thing ever. I would like my boyfriend to be able to see me without tons of makeup on, so I'm trying everything. I've been using Epsom salts for about a week now, and I can already see how well it's working! I had 2 large pimples on my cheek 3 days ago, and they cleared up the next day!! It also seems to be lightening my scars, and I have a ton. I mix a little bit of the salt with my cleanser every morning, which kinda makes a scrub and makes my skin feel super baby soft. At night I mix some salt with warm water, let the salt dissolve and then use a makeup remover cotton pad to wipe the mixture all over my face and leave it on till the morning. This has been working for me really well so far, and I hope to God that it continues! If you've tried everything and nothing seems to work for your acne, give Epsom salts a shot. It's so cheap and it works. Good luck!

Epsom Salts
Reviewed on August 16, 2013

After years of trying everything you can imagine for my mild/moderate acne, I came across an online site that promoted Epsom Salts for acne. I decided to give it a try, its not like I had anything to lose at this point. I have been using Epsom Salts for my acne for about 3 days now and I can already see the difference. I have oily skin so I can tell immediately. The acne that i had under the skin have now come to a head in about a day. What I do is put about a handful of epsom salts in a tupperware container and add just a little bit of water and put it on my face as best as i can.