Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) - Reviews

Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

Livysmom13
ImpishAmount

Razz2525
I can’t believe this but this pretty much echoes my experience. I’m a fortysomething woman with hormonal acne (right cheek and jawline only) and I was tired of my acne-fighting products always causing me to peel. Liquid foundation makes me break out so I use mineral powder bur the minute I apply it, my face starts peeling like crazy. So I thought the OCM would help return my skin back to a more moisturized state. It did for a while.., it LOVED hemp seed oil and my jojoba oil since I researched the comedogenic ratings religiously but then the cystic acne just wouldn’t heal. It’s as if I were giving the bacteria more nourishment with the oil. I had an explosion of blackheads and whiteheads, and then I got 4 or 5 cystic bumps along my jawline... at once!! So painful! I usually get one or two cystic bumps here and there around my cycle but this has been continuous. Never have I had cystic acne this bad and only one side of my face thankfully (although I just felt one start along my jaw on the left). And I sleep on my back and don’t press my cell phone against my face at all. I’m usually more sensitive to pain on my right side as well so something is giving this bacteria a field day. I can only conclude it’s the oil. Not sure what to do: the topical medications prescribed seem to work but are so drying that the peeling starts immediately. Doctor has me on aczone and Retin-A. Maybe Differin would be better (and I declined to take spironolactone, I have enough hormonal issues, I don’t need to get back on anything that’s going to mess with my menstrual cycle).

jooney

336889_1443949457
I’m so glad you posted this! I started doing the acne.org regimen in 2011 (previously, I was using a very expensive skin care regimen for a couple of years and once I discovered acne.org, I immediately switched over because of the price AND the biggest plus I noticed after a month was that it healed my acne 100%). By the end of 2016, I noticed my skin was more dry/more fine lines, and I became concerned about aging skin. Because I didn’t have any more cystic acne in YEARS or if I had a minor breakout (because of the time of month- which would disappear quickly with the regimen of course), I thought, “hmm all these youtubers rave about OCM. Maybe I should stop putting extreme products on my face and just use oils.” Fastforward to now.... as of March 2018, I restarted the acne.org regimen because the entire year of 2017 of giving my skin some time to adjust to the OCM has left me with cystic acne and pimples! I’m back where I started with bad skin from my early 20s. And I wish I stopped doing the OCM as soon as I started to see pimples on my face. For those of you who are willing to try it out, please, PLEASE, listen to your skin. I had the misconception and ignorance to think I was in a”purging” stage and that I needed to let my skin “detox” from all the chemicals I was putting on my face. I was wrong. The OCM just isn’t for everyone. But there are some people who can tolerate it/have great outcomes! Sadly, I’m not one of those “unicorns.”

capt
Its good you finally switched back to your old regimen!

capt
Were not all blessed with oil-loving skin unfortunately haha. But hang in there, time will heal anything, even what ocm has left behind ✨

HumanKale
sam3007

zaichik
Okay so this is probably because you were using a highly comodogenic oil, the oil was too heavy and thereby clogged your pores, or you weren’t taking it off properly. Switch to using an oil free cleanser and moisturiser (oil helps the acne spread) and use witch hazel as a toner. You should probably treat the acne with something like benzoyl peroxide, until it dries out and goes away, and after that continue with clean skin. This is what I recommend, was recommended, and what is working for me. It’s important to wash your face twice a day, for this to be more effective.

302d302d

Lidia.REN
WHY DO PEOPLE BELIEVE USING OILS TOPICALLY IS GOOD FOR SKIN? 1. People are leaded by the fact that linoleic acid is a natural component of human sebum. Let’s investigate. Triglycerides and fatty acids, taken together, account for the predominant proportion (57.5%), followed by wax esters (26%) and squalene (12%). The least abundant lipid in sebum is cholesterol, which with its esters, accounts for the 4.5% of total lipids. (Greene RS et all, 1970) Linoleic acid (18:1) and oleic (18:2) are only less than 15% (there are also different linear monounsaturated acids with 18 carbons) of all fatty acids (they are 57.5% of sebum), thus less than 9 % of sebum are linoleic and oleic acids (B. Boughton et all,1959) It’s not healthy smearing concentrated fatty acids on your skin, even though it’s produced by sebaceous glands in some quantity naturally. Most people imagine human sebum as a blend of fat and some small amount of water. It’s not like this at all. Think about this: we can obtain not only oils from seeds but cyanide too. It will be 100% natural and organic, but would you smear it all over your skin? (the toxicity isn’t relative, but It’s just an example that not everything obtained from plants are good for health). Indeed, human sebum is a unique substance, that can maintain itself when supplied with essential by blood (by the food we eat). It is unique in particular, the pathways leading to the formation of lipids, which are typically sebaceous, such as branched fatty acids and fatty acids with unshared unsaturation positions: features unique to sebum are the branched chain fatty acids and lipids with the particular pattern of unsaturation. Δ6 desaturase enzyme (fatty acid desaturase-2) catalyzes a “sebaceous-type” reaction of desaturation that leads to particular compounds, unique to humanΔ6 desaturase preferentially converts palmitic acid (16:0) to sapienic acid (16:1, Δ6), which is unique to the human sebum and represents ca. 25% of the total fatty acids. Elongation of sapienic acid by 2-carbon unit and further unsaturation leads to the formation of sebaleic acid (18:2, Δ5,8), which is also peculiar of human sebum. (Ge L. et al, 2007). We cannot deliver fatty acids that are synthesised only by human cells topically. 2. People that don’t develop any kind of visible bad reaction experience very soft, “hydrated” skin. Of course, skin is soft after continuous application of oils, as they disrupt elastic membranes and make skin very supple in that way. There is one Polish saying “co bagato, to niezdrawo”, meaning when there is too much of something it’s not healthy. Even though vegetable, seed, nut oils are all natural this doesn’t mean they can replace human sebum and can be used safely on the skin. We have a need in linoleic acid, but mainly in our food or some severe conditions that demand the topical application of oils (can be helpful for people that don’t develop visible irritation).

Lidia.REN
also, I have to note that the irritation because of oil application can last for a long time and develop into a chronical form...

Plant_nerd
Thank you for sharing so much information and citing your sources, I have a Biology degree, so I can understand all the hard work you put into this paper. 🙏🏻 Thank you

BeccaBeta9
WiredTrapeze
secky
NotCleanAndNotClear

smiles23
Hi there, I feel your pain same thing happened to me. I was stupid enough to have done this twice over a 3 year period, hoping the second time I "did it right". Left me with severe acne and impetigo. awful, just awful.

NotCleanAndNotClear
@smiles23 - thanks! Around Christmas I started using BP at night (no moisturizer on top) and it started getting better immediately. 4 weeks into it I am only left with marks (maybe some scars?) and dryness from the BP. I also took a round of antibiotics before, but that did nothing. I hope you feel better soon!

Deniseipoo
Can I ask what is bp?

sam3007
1. @deniseipoo - I think BP is Benzoyl Peroxide 2. @NOTCLEANANDNOTCLEAR - I have two questions and would be grateful if you could answer them . How did you finally get rid of this problem . Did it ever come back with the same intensity without u applying any oil on your face I have the exact same problem of acne in clusters after I used coconut oil. It ruined my skin big time. I have it on both sides of my forehead. I tried everything including oral antibiotics and Nothing helped but for some reason BP helped immediately.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a New Account

Already have an account? Sign in here.

• Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes