Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) Reviews

Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

Incredible if you have allergies (seasonal or otherwise)

As someone with moderate to severe acne since I was a teenager (and now I'm 37) I was terrified to put straight unrefined organic coconut oil on my skin, but here's my reasoning: Coconut oil is 1) antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal.. 2) Visibly attaches to and removes makeup. 3) Doesn't interfere with the "acid mantle" of the skin, so it leaves your skin to protect itself (everyone has an acid mantle that is slightly acidic to naturally kill bacteria.. It's striped away by using soap which not only removes your protective layer but also is alkaline) 3) Is free from chemicals. A few weeks before I tried oil cleansing my skin was out of control. It had never been so oily in my life, which is saying something. It was chronically broken out with deep cysts and whiteheads. I was using witch hazel and alcohol on it several times per day just to get it to feel clean for a bit. I decided to try just using water in the evenings instead after reading several articles and the results were nothing short of miraculous! My zits dried up and FELL OFF!! This has NEVER happened to me. My skin was also no longer chronically bright red and irritated, and had taken on a soft, porcelain glow. BUT I could SMELL MY FACE. Yuck. I looked better, but having a sharp nose, even right after using warm water and a wash cloth to clean in the morning and evening, I could smell skin oils that grossed me out. THAT'S when I took the leak and tried oil cleansing. My Routine: Take a white washcloth (dye free and can be bleached in the wash to sterilize it), Run tolerably warm water over it and let it sit on my face and neck for about 30 seconds. Rub coconut oil on my face and neck gently and allow it to sit for at least a full minute. Use the washcloth with fresh, warm water to thoroughly but gently remove the oil (your face won't feel squeaky clean until you dry it.) Dry my face with a clean white cloth. * I DO THIS ONCE TO TWICE PER WEEK AND USE HONEY ON THE OTHER 5 DAYS WITH THE SAME ROUTINE EXCEPT PAPER TOWELS INSTEAD OF CLOTH BECAUSE... ANTS ;) The honey is even gentler than the oil, thus keeps my acid mantle completely in tact, protecting me from acne causing bacteria. My results: My skin glows and has vastly improved (at this moment I have 2 hormonal zits compared to a rash of zits across my chin, neck and forehead before). My face smells beautiful, like a tropical island or honey on the days that I use that. Additional reasons that this worked for me: I have always had combination skin that I blamed on hormones. While they are part of the problem, it turns out that I have sensitive skin too. If you have seasonal allergies, occasionally break out in hives or have chronically pink or red irritated cheeks you too could have sensitive skin. The traditional soaps and cleansers (even the organic products) strip your face of its natural defenses. This has been a miracle and a revelation for me to find after all of these years that less really is more. Within 3 days of using just water on my face in the evenings I was SHOCKED to solve the puzzle that is my face. I know that not everyone will have the same results so maybe just start off with your regular soap in the morning and then a wet, warm cloth with only water in the evenings and see how your skin responds. If there's a noticeable difference SLOWLY work your way to oil cleansing by trying the honey cleanse in the morning and water before bed for a few days. IF that seems to be improving things then try the coconut oil. I hope that this works for you too!! Love and light!!

HERE’S HOW I MINIMIZED THE POST-OCM BREAKOUT

Okay so first of all if you’re reading this contemplating whether or not you should give the Oil Cleansing Method a go. Don’t. Run the other way. Go use a mild cleanser instead like Physiogel (what i personally use) or something your skin works with. BUT if you’re stubborn (like I was) and thinking to yourself, “well maybe i’m part of the LESS THAN 50% that has great results with this method! Plus I’ve already bought a bottle of jojoba and i dont wanna waste it” Fine, Its all up to you. BUT I strongly suggest this is the order you try it at: NEVER USE COCONUT OIL OR OLIVE OIL OK JUST DONT (Day 1) Patch test. (Day 2) Try adding a little bit of the oil of your choice to your daily moisturizer and see if it doest give you a reaction. (Day 3) Oil Cleanse Day and pray to your god that it doesnt break you out (my blend was Grapeseed oil, Jojoba, Rosehipseed, and a little hemp) (Day 4-17) Its the “Observation Phase” PATIENCE MY FRIEND. It’ll save your skin. Dont use the oil for 2 weeks, wait it out in this timeframe and go use your normal cleanser first to see if the ocm will give you more breakouts than usual. I saw 3 new pimples 4 days after the ocm trial day, then 5 new ones and a monster cystic one a week after it and decided never to try it again since I almost never get pimples prior to ocm. I say wait it out 2 weeks after your first ocm because pimples take an average of 2-6 weeks to appear on the surface of your skin. Thats why some of the positive reviews on here are from people who have used it for 1-2 weeks reporting they’ve had smoother skin after just one wash, and the negative reviews are from people who have had initially good results within the two week timeframe, then suffered for months. So its very important to use it ONCE then wait it out for 2 weeks and use your usual routine pre-OCM during this time, if you get more than your usual breakout forget the Oil Cleansing altogether. This isnt purging only AHAs and BHAs and scrubs and peels can cause purging. If it didn’t break you out congratulations unicorn! But dont stop observing your skin. Slowly incorporate it into your routine, do it once a week and not daily. NOW IF YOURE LIKE ME AND YOU JUST WANNA END THIS NIGHTMARE OF A CLEANSE ONCE AND FOR ALL, here’s what I did: 1. Go back to your normal routine and toss that oil blend bottle into the bin (I assume you already have by now) and stop blaming yourself for the outcome! Blame those darn youtube reviews or something 2. Patience. The healing process might take two months. Dont go out and panic buy all the harsh spot treatments and chemicals that might make your condition worse. 3. I did two weekly masks (that I still do now) One is a clay mask, Aztec healing clay plus apple cider vinegar (Yes that one the green one everyone talks about) Now note that this might make you purge because ACV has malic acid which is an AHA. But it’s only removing the damage that OCM has done. Do this once a week. The other mask I swear by is a ground coffee and honey mask. Grind some coffee beans, make yourself a cuppa coffee, use the strained grounds and mix with raw organic honey to make a scrub. Steam your face with 6 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 cups water for 5 minutes, wipe off your face, and gently massage the honey coffee mask onto your face in circular motions. Leave this mask in for however long you like. I leave mine for 1-3 hours before washing off. Dont use the clay mask and scrub on the same day of the week. 4. SPOT TREAT those pesky pimples and acne by mixing on the palm of your clean hand, 3 drops of water, 2 drops of apple cider vinegar, and 1 pea sized amount of honey. Mix em all together and use as an overnight spot treatment. Dont use during the daytime as the apple cider vinegar might be less effective if exposed to sunlight. The healing process will take a month or more but hey its worth it. As for ACV and honey and coffee grounds, you might be thinking, oh hell naw im not putting more natural products in my face anymore. Shh. Go check out the reviews on this site for those individual ingredients and see the difference in the percentage of good reviews from this OCM bs right here. Anyway, let me know if it worked for you guys! And remember, patience is key to undoing this mess. x

I’m so glad you posted this! I started doing the acne.org regimen in 2011 (previously, I was using a very expensive skin care regimen for a couple of years and once I discovered acne.org, I immediately switched over because of the price AND the biggest plus I noticed after a month was that it healed my acne 100%). By the end of 2016, I noticed my skin was more dry/more fine lines, and I became concerned about aging skin. Because I didn’t have any more cystic acne in YEARS or if I had a minor breakout (because of the time of month- which would disappear quickly with the regimen of course), I thought, “hmm all these youtubers rave about OCM. Maybe I should stop putting extreme products on my face and just use oils.” Fastforward to now.... as of March 2018, I restarted the acne.org regimen because the entire year of 2017 of giving my skin some time to adjust to the OCM has left me with cystic acne and pimples! I’m back where I started with bad skin from my early 20s. And I wish I stopped doing the OCM as soon as I started to see pimples on my face. For those of you who are willing to try it out, please, PLEASE, listen to your skin. I had the misconception and ignorance to think I was in a”purging” stage and that I needed to let my skin “detox” from all the chemicals I was putting on my face. I was wrong. The OCM just isn’t for everyone. But there are some people who can tolerate it/have great outcomes! Sadly, I’m not one of those “unicorns.”
Its good you finally switched back to your old regimen!
Were not all blessed with oil-loving skin unfortunately haha. But hang in there, time will heal anything, even what ocm has left behind ✨

Cleared my acne and dry skin! (Olive Oil)

I've had constant acne for over a year now and a few months ago I decided that I'd had enough of having painful acne and low confidence. I did a lot of research regarding natural treatments and I found the Oil Cleansing Method. I will never go back! I'll never use chemicals on my skin again which left my skin dry, oily, irritated and covered in acne. I decided to combine the OCM with a banana peel mask that I do 1-2 times a day so I recommend having a look at that treatment as well, as these two treatments combined have helped me so much. Before I started either of these acne treating methods, I had struggled with benzyl peroxide with left my skin insanely dry to the point my makeup wouldn't sit on my face at all and gave me swollen eyes which kept reoccurring even when I washed it away and avoided my eyes. It didn't clear my acne one bit. I was quickly losing hope and decided to do research for the final time before booking a doctors appointment. Twice a day I use this method to remove makeup and cleanse my skin, and I start with rubbing a small amount of olive oil on my face in small circular motions. My makeup is instantly removed, then I take a hot wash cloth and make sure I wipe it all away so that none is left behind to clog my pores and cause further acne. This is why YOU HAVE TO DO IT RIGHT. For some people this method won't work - all skin is different - but it's so important it's 100% removed. After this my skin already feels insanely soft and has a glow to it, and by using this method I managed to get rid of all my dry skin from the benzyl peroxide. Because the oil lifts the other oils I don't develop any new acne and when I wake up in the morning, expecting to see more acne like usual, my skin looks so clear! Even if it means experimenting with different oils, I would definitely try this.

Comments

OCM is the worst thing ever. Plz help

Ocm ruined my skin completely. I had the mildest form of acne and great skin apart from acne. I used OCM for a few months and suddenly one day I wake up to 3 cystic acne. I never had such acne. Then this started spreading on the sides of my forehead till the point I had to big isolated clusters of cystic acne with 10 inflamed bumps each side. My skin became red even the part where there was no acne and it seemed as if I had rosacea. A guy with clear skin suddenly having such bad Cystic acne, this was a disaster. This happened around 5 months ago and I am still struggling. Surprisingly only my forehead has acne and no other part of my face. If anyone has the same type of acne and has cured it, would be grateful if could get some help. Thanks

Okay so this is probably because you were using a highly comodogenic oil, the oil was too heavy and thereby clogged your pores, or you weren’t taking it off properly. Switch to using an oil free cleanser and moisturiser (oil helps the acne spread) and use witch hazel as a toner. You should probably treat the acne with something like benzoyl peroxide, until it dries out and goes away, and after that continue with clean skin. This is what I recommend, was recommended, and what is working for me. It’s important to wash your face twice a day, for this to be more effective.

OCM ruined my skin, HELP!

Tried the oil cleansing method because of all of the great things I heard about it, but that was a decision I was going to regret more than anything yet. I started with cleansing my face once a day with a mixture of castor oil, jojoba oil and hemp seed oil, and would afterwards moisturize with rose hip seed oil. After two weeks of treatment, my whole face is covered in inflamed pimples and cysts, and my skin is the worst it has ever been. I am so sad and devastated about the situation and I am in desperate need of advice on how to heal my face the best way possible. My skin care routine is very simple and I have eliminated all harsh products: I now wash my face twice a day with water, tone with a mixture of rose water, witch hazel and apple cider vinegar. I moisturize once at night with an organic moisturizer and as a treatment, I use aloe vera from my plant as often as possible. Is there anything I can do differently? how can I heal the scars that it will leave? I will be forever thankful for any response.

Comments

ARE OILS DEMAGING TO YOUR SKIN?

I have tried OCM for three days, developed the most terrible irritation and breakouts I have ever encountered in my life (had relatively clear skin before, except some breakouts because of makeup) and here is my review on it: (I have Master's degree in Biochemistry. If you don't agree with something I'm going to say or provide, you can leave a comment below and we can figure out it together. Also, English is not my first language, so I can make mistakes. Sorry.) Many people use oils (ideally cold pressed organic 100% pure) as a replacement of skincare. Yes, such words as organic, all natural, full of vitamins and minerals sound really good and people leading organic lifestyle propagate the usage of those. You know, there are oils that can clog your pores. They do so by increasing follicular hyperkeratosis'”an increased production of keratin in hair follicles. Over time, this leads to clogged follicles and comedones. Thus, oils with the low comedogenic score are safe to use. This is nothing I'm going to talk here about. So, what are these beloved avocado, rosehip seed, grape seed, hemp seed, olive, safflower, coconut, etc oils? Well, 60% of each are fatty acids. Among these, in the vast majority of cases, 95% are linoleic and oleic acids. Thus, oils are concentrated chemical solutions. Linoleic acid (18:2) is scaled by NFPA 704 as level 2 hazard to health (0-4), meaning intense or continued but not chronic exposure could cause temporary incapacitation or possible residual injury (e.g. diethyl ether, ammonium phosphate). The next point on the scale is this one: 3 - short exposure could cause serious temporary or moderate residual injury (e.g. liquid hydrogen, carbon monoxide, calcium hypochlorite). Oleic acids (18:1) is scaled 1 by HMIS: - exposure would cause irritation with only minor residual injury (e.g. acetone, sodium bromate). Safety data sheets in chemical/biochemical labs state: Adverse Human Health: Material may be irritating to the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract Effects and Symptoms: May be harmful by inhalation, ingestion, or skin absorption. May cause eye, skin, or respiratory system irritation. Indeed, 1 of 2 people is sensitive to even organic cold pressed natural oils and develop the worst irritation and breakouts they have ever had in their lives even because low or non-comedogenic oils. WHY? WHY ARE THEY SO IRRITATING TO SOME PEOPLE AND WHY DO THEY MAKE OTHERS SKIN VERY SOFT AND SUPPLE? Answers hide in the nature of fatty acids and how they act when applied topically. Studies show that even micromolar concentrations of palmitic (C16, saturated acid) and oleic acids incorporate into the sarcoplasmic reticulum membrane (an inner cell organelle, surrounded by lipid bilayer) and reduce the content of phospholipids in the membrane. (Leo G et all, 1983) A consequence of enhanced skin permeability and/or toxicity with fatty acids is increased transdermal water loss (lauric, oleic acids). The intercellular lipids (permeate through the whole membrane) have an important function in maintaining the barrier to water permeation through the skin and for holding water in the skin, removing of intercellular lipids produced chapped and scaly skin. Maximum permeation enhancement was observed for fatty acids of 9 to 12 carbon atoms and for fatty alcohols of 10 to 12 carbons. Among saturated fatty acid, the maximum enhancement was shown by lauric acid (C12). (M. Loden at all, 2000) Remember, when tests say the maximum or elevated score they don't say other substances scored 0, as permeation ability was shown for many other fatty acids, as myristoleic, palmitoleic, linoleic, oleic, lauric and many others. Let's be clear. The skin permeation effect of fatty acids indeed depends on the chain length and saturation. But the thing is oils do not contain very short fatty acids or contain only trace amounts of those (chains of very very short fatty acids are too short to incorporate into the lipid bilayer, therefore didn't show irritation reactions). Also, it's not the deal with a specific membrane, as all of them have the same basis. In an irritation test in nude mice, 10% oleic acid caused severe irritation. Oleic acid was also evaluated in guinea pigs, with 5% producing significant epidermal damage. Various fatty acids have been examined in humans by applying for 3 h under occlusion using concentrations 0. 16 M. Oleic acid resulted in an elevated score and visible erythema and edema. (M. Loden, 2000) Another study shows linoleic acid produced significant irritation on human skin (Michael A et al, 1975). Also, prior studies on the relative irritancy of free fatty acids revealed the saturated C8 to C14 fatty acids and a C18 unsaturated fatty acid to be the most irritating. Another study says that among saturated free fatty acids from C3 to C18, and unsaturated C18 free fatty acids that were applied daily under occlusive patch tests to human skin until detectable erythema appeared, the most irritating fatty acids were C8 through C12. Of the unsaturated fatty acids tested, only linoleic acid produced irritation ( it was the only tested, though). Also, notice that different tests evaluated different fatty acids and therefore one can say the most irritating was this acid/only this acid showed irritation, while an another test names different acid due to different samples included. Studies say they applied oils until the detectable erythema occurred, thus erythema occurred in all applied saturated fatty acids. Among these, they evaluated the most irritating samples. SO WHY OILS ARE SUCH GOOD CARRIERS? All people say oils are good natural carriers of vitamins and minerals to the skin. Oh yes, they are very good carriers, as they disrupt lipid bilayer (membrane that surrounds our cells) incorporating in it and therefore make it easier for other substances to penetrate through it. But our skin is not designed as frogs skin, which consume near 10% of oxigen within it. Our skin is a barrier, nourished by minerals, vitamins and fatty acids, etc. supplied by blood, thus there is no need to disrupt the natural barrier in order to deliver minerals and vitamins topically. But even people that develop skin irritation and breakouts can safely consume different types of oils. Even mice like food flavoured with oil more. What's the secret behind it? The thing is our digestive tract has a layer of mucus that protects it, also it regenerates really fast and digest all sort of organic compounds starting from our mouth. WHY DO SOME PEOPLE DEVELOP IRRITATION AND OTHERS NOT? Let's look at one example. There is a compound called PTC (phenyltiocarbamide). It has extremely bitter taste. Evolution gifted us an ability to detect bitter tastes bacuse at the most cases bitter means toxic. So, when you can distunguish many bitter substances, you have better chances of survival. But turns out that we vary in the ability to taste PTC and among different nations and populations only certain amount of people can taste it (from 16% to 40%). But it doesn't mean for those who can't distunguish the taste, it's beneficial and they can eat it without councequences. The same is with topical irritation. Not everyone develope the reaction, but it doesn't mean it's beneficial for those (we are not talking about allergies here, just irritation!) Most people experience some sort of reaction after some time of continuous application, as irritation may be induced by repeat disturbance of barrier function. Maybe you also wonder how oils helped some people to battle acne(especially oil cleansing method) It turns out, they aren't sensible to the mechanism in which fatty acids act. Okay, fatty acids act the same on their skin, they just don't develop a visible reaction to it. Thus, fatty acids could dissolve makeup traces that can irritate their skin, or dissolve natural sebum that clogs pores and not to cause irritation by itself. WHY DO PEOPLE

WHY DO PEOPLE BELIEVE USING OILS TOPICALLY IS GOOD FOR SKIN? 1. People are leaded by the fact that linoleic acid is a natural component of human sebum. Let’s investigate. Triglycerides and fatty acids, taken together, account for the predominant proportion (57.5%), followed by wax esters (26%) and squalene (12%). The least abundant lipid in sebum is cholesterol, which with its esters, accounts for the 4.5% of total lipids. (Greene RS et all, 1970) Linoleic acid (18:1) and oleic (18:2) are only less than 15% (there are also different linear monounsaturated acids with 18 carbons) of all fatty acids (they are 57.5% of sebum), thus less than 9 % of sebum are linoleic and oleic acids (B. Boughton et all,1959) It’s not healthy smearing concentrated fatty acids on your skin, even though it’s produced by sebaceous glands in some quantity naturally. Most people imagine human sebum as a blend of fat and some small amount of water. It’s not like this at all. Think about this: we can obtain not only oils from seeds but cyanide too. It will be 100% natural and organic, but would you smear it all over your skin? (the toxicity isn’t relative, but It’s just an example that not everything obtained from plants are good for health). Indeed, human sebum is a unique substance, that can maintain itself when supplied with essential by blood (by the food we eat). It is unique in particular, the pathways leading to the formation of lipids, which are typically sebaceous, such as branched fatty acids and fatty acids with unshared unsaturation positions: features unique to sebum are the branched chain fatty acids and lipids with the particular pattern of unsaturation. Δ6 desaturase enzyme (fatty acid desaturase-2) catalyzes a “sebaceous-type� reaction of desaturation that leads to particular compounds, unique to humanΔ6 desaturase preferentially converts palmitic acid (16:0) to sapienic acid (16:1, Δ6), which is unique to the human sebum and represents ca. 25% of the total fatty acids. Elongation of sapienic acid by 2-carbon unit and further unsaturation leads to the formation of sebaleic acid (18:2, Δ5,8), which is also peculiar of human sebum. (Ge L. et al, 2007). We cannot deliver fatty acids that are synthesised only by human cells topically. 2. People that don’t develop any kind of visible bad reaction experience very soft, “hydrated� skin. Of course, skin is soft after continuous application of oils, as they disrupt elastic membranes and make skin very supple in that way. There is one Polish saying “co bagato, to niezdrawo�, meaning when there is too much of something it’s not healthy. Even though vegetable, seed, nut oils are all natural this doesn’t mean they can replace human sebum and can be used safely on the skin. We have a need in linoleic acid, but mainly in our food or some severe conditions that demand the topical application of oils (can be helpful for people that don’t develop visible irritation).
also, I have to note that the irritation because of oil application can last for a long time and develop into a chronical form...
Thank you for sharing so much information and citing your sources, I have a Biology degree, so I can understand all the hard work you put into this paper. �� Thank you

Not for me

I'll start off by saying I have normal skin, I found out about oil cleansing on YouTube and thought I'd give it a try, and long story short, it didn't work. I used coconut oil and I know there's tons of different oils to use but that's what I used. It didn't really make my skin worse but it also didn't make it better. The only thing it did is make my skin a little bit smoother and softer afterwards. Although every person is different, it may work for you and it may not.

Comments

Insufficient cleansing - more whiteheads and acne as a result

I tried for 2.5 months, but gave up on it now after only getting more and more whiteheads and an occasional cyst. I tried a mix of castor oil, sunflower seed oil and the last month with a little Argan oil in the mixture. I massaged it in for 10 min every night, and cleaned of with fresh new washcloth and warm water. It did get a little grit off my skin, but I could still feel a lot of grit being stuck in my pores and not coming out. I just purchased acne.org regimen and hope for better results... and hope I later on can skip the BP During pregnancy and nursing. Ocm didn't work for me and I really had high hopes that it would :-(

Hempseed Oil is Amazing!

I have been on the Regimen for years, it is the first thing that kept my skin mostly breakout free, ever. ( thank you Dan) I am 51 and thought I would grow out of acne years ago. I found too much of the jojoba oil would break me out, so I looked for other oils. Olive, coconut, shea butter,all were terrible. Then I tried hemp oil and it was magic. I finally dared to give up the Regimen and try using only Hempseed oil. I could not believe it, works even better than the Regimen. It is green and I don't like the smell, but it is not too bad. I think it works because it is 0 on the comedogenic scale and it is a high linoleic acid oil. After this was working well, I read about pumpkin seed oil and tried that. No go. Pimples after 2 days. The Hempseed oil cleared them up in a couple of days. Can't believe it took almost 40 years to find such a simple solution to a lifelong problem.

Comments

Worst thing that ever happened to me!

I read positive things about the OCM and since I always tend to break up a bit during the summer (looking back this is nothing), I decided to try it. After 10 days into it (I used jojoba & castor oil) I noticed that I started to break out. I immediately stopped the OCM. Now, 6 weeks later I have cystic acne all over my chin that keeps getting worse by the day and is slowly expanding to my cheeks and neck. I have never had acne like this before; never more than maybe 2-3 pimples at a time, mostly none at all. I already went to see a derm and she told me that it's not a good idea to put oil on your face when you're acne prone. She prescribed some topicals I have now been using for 2 weeks, but cannot see an improvement. I cannot believe I did this to myself and am afraid my skin will never fully recover. I wish I had never come across it. Don't try it, it's not worth it. I'm desperate and all out of ideas...

Hi there, I feel your pain same thing happened to me. I was stupid enough to have done this twice over a 3 year period, hoping the second time I "did it right". Left me with severe acne and impetigo. awful, just awful.
@smiles23 - thanks! Around Christmas I started using BP at night (no moisturizer on top) and it started getting better immediately. 4 weeks into it I am only left with marks (maybe some scars?) and dryness from the BP. I also took a round of antibiotics before, but that did nothing. I hope you feel better soon!
Can I ask what is bp?
1. @deniseipoo - I think BP is Benzoyl Peroxide 2. @NOTCLEANANDNOTCLEAR - I have two questions and would be grateful if you could answer them . How did you finally get rid of this problem . Did it ever come back with the same intensity without u applying any oil on your face I have the exact same problem of acne in clusters after I used coconut oil. It ruined my skin big time. I have it on both sides of my forehead. I tried everything including oral antibiotics and Nothing helped but for some reason BP helped immediately.

Works like a dream, but you HAVE TO do it right

I started the oil cleansing method in '13 when I was laid off from my job and could no longer afford my meds for cystic acne. I read the article about OCM by CrunchyBetty and decided that it could never work the way she suggested so I tweaked it and still used benzoyl peroxide. It did not work at all to clear my acne. But one thing I found fascinating is that it did not make it worse either. I stayed on this regimen and just lived with my acne being the way it was for about 6 months. I finally stumbled across the article again and read the whole thing this time. I discovered I was making a lot of mistakes. You have to use high quality Castor oil as a base and another non comedogenic oil. Olive and Coconut oil WILL NOT work. Do not add essential oils either. Especially not tea tree. It strips your face of oils. I know this all sounds counter intuitive, but its true. I use a mixture of cold pressed organic Castor oil and Grape seed oil. I have two small bottles of the oils in my bathroom closet. I mix a small amount together in my hand. I usually do 75% castor oil and 25% grape seed oil. If my skin is dry that day I add more grapeseed oil. I swirl it around on my face in upward circular motions for about 1 minute and then wash it off with a warm wet washcloth. The washcloth part takes the longest. Keep rinsing the towel and wiping your face for about 2 minutes. At this point, I use oxy pads with 2% salicylic acid. Its really important that if you're going to use acne meds that you refrain from using any that strip your skin of oil. The oxy pads I use are alcohol based and have no sulfates. They are usually the cheapest kind with the least amount of ingredients. The makeup you use is really important too. I used to wear the cakiest foundation while on Ocm at the beginning and it still worked but I still got some painful acne every once in awhile. Then I heard about medical grade BB cream. This stuff is used for burn victims and people who have had cosmetic surgery to help heal and restore the skin. My skin was so damaged from decades of acne and after two years its almost completely clear. I use Missha BB cream which is available through Amazon. Not all BB cream is medical grade though. Do your research. Three years later I am completely free of acne and almost clear of scars! If you're wondering if the transition period is worth it, it definitely is. If you are scared to go off meds, you can start by washing your face with oil and still use your topical meds. I just really don't recommend benzoyl peroxide. I know for a fact that clindamycin and differin gel will work with this method as they have no oil stripping agents. When you feel brave enough you can try going without the meds, but always talk to your doctor about these things. I only started this because I had no other option. Some things to consider about ocm: '¢you cannot use soap or surfactants on your face ever or it will not work. Research the products you use. '¢there is a transition period of about 2-3 weeks and it could get worse before it gets better (my skin just felt itchy-but my acne did not get worse-everyone is different '¢Its worth mentioning again- DO NOT use olive or coconut oil. They WILL give you more acne '¢Use castor oil and another non-comedogenic oil (grape seed, sunflower, jojoba, almond) and figure out what works for you. '¢Having a backup remedy for acne helps too- I used brewers yeast for a month or two and it helped clear me up. I've read that turmeric can help too '¢Clean your face twice a day '¢Google CrunchyBetty OCM and read her articles about OCM. Stick to it religiously I hope I've helped! Good luck!

Comments

OCM removed loads of my whiteheads in a week

I have been using OCM with sunflower oil and olive oil (no castor oil) and it was worked wonders for my whiteheads. I will be experimenting with castor oil soon. I definitely recommend this cleansing method.

Work wonders for me

I may have gotten lucky, because the first oil I tried was olive and it hit the spot! About myself: I am 36, my skin was always far from flawless, but with certain skin care products I was able to keep it at about 75% flawless for the most part of my adult years. It looked nearly flawless during my pregnancy in 2011 though. Since those blessed times I've switched different skin care products and just couldn't seem to find my skin's soulmate. My skin was just okay, thankfully there's nothing that Bare Minerals can't cover, right? Well, this past spring I got hit hard with rosacea (it used to surface but not often), dry flaky skin, painful breakouts that would not go away and if I tempered with them I'd get scars that would not diminish and would stay for weeks!! My skin was red all over, with dark purple-ish bumps. It was dry and itchy, reacting to everything I've used before with no problem, I'd apply a moisturizer and it would hurt... The whole thing seemed like a never ending nightmare! Until I gave the Oil Cleansing Method a try. Again, I think I got lucky because the first oil I tried was the right kind for me. I used olive oil every night for about two weeks before mixing castor oil in and I learned that I can only use one drop of castor oil per 2 Tbs of olive oil. Anything more than that causes a pimple or two. In the mean time, I tried other oils just because I am curious and love trying new things and also because of the hype surrounding the OCM all over the internet. I tried avocado - too thin for me, my skin feels dry after OCM. I tried hemp seed oil - caused allergic reaction, as I'd start massaging it in I'd feel little bumps appear out of nowhere and I'd stop and try hemp oil in a day or two, same thing would happen and I quit it after a few tries. I tried jojoba oil and don't get me started on how it wrecked havoc on my poor face! My face turned bright red as I cleansed it with jojoba oil! Similar thing happened with sweet almond, sesame and apricot oil. Olive oil is the only oil that I tried which brightens my skin, cleans my pores, diminishes fine lines little by little, reduces redness and castor oil makes my skin look and feel hydrated. So, when I wash my olive/castor mix off my face, my skin is bright, plump and clear of redness and blemishes. I am extremely happy that I finally can look at myself in the mirror without nearly having a heart attack haha and I am happy I started off with the oil that worked for me. The only con is that olive oil is a little heavy and my OCM takes about 20 min every night but hey, beauty requires sacrifices ;)

Comments

Just starting out the oil cleansing method

I'm asian and have sensitive/ oily skin. I have occasional hormonal acne on the chin and the sides of my face and I found out about the oil cleansing method and have only started this method for about a month now. From the reviews that I have read, people usually use castor oil and In the beginning I started with just Grapeseed oil cos its supposed to be good for oily and acne skin and I couldn't find castor oil in my country, I have ordered it online and Im just waiting for it to arrive. All the reviews that I have read has said that in the earlier stages the method will cause your skin to breakout and after a while your skin will get better. I'm starting to get worried cos I have been breaking out a lot more than usual, I have breakouts on the forehead now and more of the sides of my face. These breakouts are not that bad, they're just little red spots and it makes my skin grainy and rough. I have switched my oil to sunflower oil cos I read its a high linoleic oil and it is not comedogenic. I've been reworking with the sunflower oil for about a few days now and my skin still hasn't gotten better. I dont know what I should do? Should I continue with the method or just stop? Cos people's reviews have been saying that to just stick it out for a few months. Help! I need advice!

Did you stick to it? Did it help??

Absolutely horrible

DO NOT USE THIS METHOD!!!!! I used this out of desperation and regret everything!!! I began breaking out about a year or two ago randomly after never having pimples. I figured the science behind it made sense, like dissolves like, it's natural, etc., etc. But boy was I wrong!!!! Almost every pore in my face had some sort of bump. NIGHTMARE!! Even though my whole face was blowing up its hard to detect the little changes in a face you look at everyday. I knew I had acne, but never had it gotten this horrible. Then I began to realize a bump under my chin. Eventually I went to the doctor and was informed that it was a inflamed gland due to all the acne draining on my face. I was prescribed a oral medication as well as a gel & and just now beginning to clear up 3 months later. I also use Aztec healing clay once a week. Hopefully the worst is behind me. Goodluck to all of you because I know how you feel!!

This is some serious bs

The OCM is pretty much hit or miss. If you're willing to take the risk and you happen to react badly be prepared to deal with visits to the dermatologist, spending lots of money and all the tears that come with cystic acne. JUST DON'T DO IT. Use a regular moisturizer, natural if you want to, but not oily stuff. You have been warned.

Comments

My skin is hydrated, but it didn't help with my acne

I have Asian skin and I live in a tropical, so, humid and hot as f, country! I've been using the OCM at night with extra virgin olive oil for the last 2 weeks. It didn't give me any breakouts and my skin is SO MOISTURIZED I WANNA LICK IT. Buuuuut didn't improve my acne at all. I keep getting here and there cysts and whiteheads, where I use 8% BP right on them, as usual. Here's my routine: - Gently rub the oil on my face with motions similar to Tanaka Massage (look on yt, I love it!); - Leave it for about 10 min on my face; - Moinsten a towel with water, squeeze it, and put in on the microwave for 30 secs; - GENTLY AS I'M BATHING A NEW BORN, rub it on my face, taking off the oil that has been on my face throughout the day; - Now, I just leave it like this until it's time to go to bed - then, I put some apple cider vinegar solution on my face; - Put BP on those annoying bastards; - Sleep. I've seen many people who had terrible breakouts with this regime, so I highly recommend you to inform yourself before doing it (I wouldn't recommend coconut oil - seem like a lot of folks broke bad with it). I like it, but I won't guarantee it will do the same good to you... Unfortunatelly, having acne is attempting to do new stuff everyday so we can find the cause of it, right?

Use the right method

I haven't really started using oil cleansing method religiously because I have a lot of acne (moderate acne) suddenly on the right side of my cheek and I don't want to irritate or spread it more. But from all the research I have done about acne and from everything that I know about it, here are my conclusions as to why OCM may not work for some people: Firstly, before you go ahead and slather anything on your skin, know that your skin is generally very delicate. 1. Most people back in the day never had as much acne as we do now, simply because they left their skin alone. They ate natural, organic food and washed their face naturally. Finally, they didn't slather on a ton of makeup/creams/sunscreens on their face. This is definitely something to think about as we put a lot of sh*t on our face that eventually clogs pores. Letting your face breathe is EXTREMELY important. I know this because I finally understand the structure of a pore. Inside every pore is a hair follicle and a sebaceous gland that secretes oil on to the surface of the skin. Acne happens when your sebaceous glands are either very active or your pores are blocked by something (either dead skin cells or comedogenic makeup or a pore blocking moisturizer or any makeup, period). Usually overactive sebaceous glands are not the only reason acne happens. When sebaceous glands are too active and the oil doesn't have an outlet to be pushed out, it keeps getting filled up in the pore. Bacteria then rushes into the pore to feed into the oil and this creates acne. So it makes sense that if you slather something on your skin that is not good for you and let it sit for a long time, the oil in your pores keeps getting built up because it doesn't have an outlet to be pushed out, leading to acne. 2. Steaming/extremely hot water is usually not very good for you, and it isn't very convenient either. Whenever I steam my face or scrub it too much, I get more acne. If you find that OCM is giving you more acne and you are steaming/scrubbing your face, cut the steaming and scrubbing out. If you are putting makeup or any other thing on your face on top of OCM and it is breaking you out, this is probably because your skin now has (on top of all the extra oil) ten layers of foreign stuff on it that is blocking all your pores. You are using the wrong combination of oils + steaming your face + slathering something more on your skin after (even if it is just oil). Imagine what that does to your pore. Steaming opens up pores and removes natural oil from pores + you put more oil and scrub it in (putting a lot of external oil back into the pore) + you put more oil on top of the pore. To me, this would look like a balloon filling up with more and more oil and at the same time producing more oil from within and finally being blocked by more oil/makeup. Bacteria rushes into the pore and creates acne. 3. Oil is definitely good for your skin because it restores moisture in your skin which is usually stripped off from all the harsh soaps/detergents we put on our skin. So the idea behind OCM is correct. You just need to do it the write way and not fill up your pore with unnecessary amount of oil. I generally slather sunflower oil on my skin every night to remove dead skin cells and restore lost oil back to my pores, and then I take a cotton pad to wipe all the oil off. After that I wash my skin with a gentle cleanser. I need to use the cleanser because I don't want my pores blocked by dead skin cells or I don't want dirt and dust to stick to my skin since I live in a very humid, hot and dusty environment. After I wash my face with the cleanser, it feels nice and soft without all the extra oil. It looks clean and fresh as well. I only do this at night. In the morning I was my face normally with a soap free cleanser and put a moisturizer on. That's it. No makeup, only eyeliner. I need my pores to breathe.

Most of your advice is base on a lot of misinformed assumptions based on a very simplistic applied bit of scientific knowledge. That's not true - people "back in the day" didn't have less acne or use less on their face. Cosmetics have been used for thousands of years and people lived very often in crowded smoke filled conditions and encountered all sorts of environmental grime we would be horrified by. Every ancient medical text we find (earliest evidence - not earliest occurrence) have all sorts of ways to treat the common skin complaints of the time - of which there were so many and so much more life threatening than ordinary hormonal acne that such conditions are barely worth mentioning. Added to which people have been dying from infected port blockages that erupt into boils throughout the archaeological history. Basically we have it so good we have the luxury of worrying about non health or life threatening conditions. The oil cleanse method has mixed results because it's not based in any science and has a number of in built false assumptions. Like attracts like - overly simplistic application of the high school chemistry principle which in this case is superceded by the biology of how skin works. Natural is "better" - not true. Natural products are many times more likely to cause skin irritation because they come from plants that have their own defense mechanism. Irritation lead to skin trauma leads to infection. This craze for "natural" products is just silly, unscientific and superstitious. Clearly most products marked as natural do not occur in nature. So what you are getting is a less refined product using ingredients with less research about their effect on skin. Thirdly acne like eruptions take at least six weeks to form. Anything erupting from your skin hours or days after a new product or beauty treatment IS NOT caused by that treatment. It's either stuff that was already forming in your skin making it's way to the surface as part of normal acne cycle or it's a violent immune/inflamatoru response to untested unfamiliar harsh ingredients causing swelling in skin structures connected to the surface of your skin OR a milder drying out of your skin (castor oil and similar don't "cleanse" your skin of surface oil - they bind the water from it - that is the tight dry feeling) causing micro tears in your skin surface that your own surface skin bacteria invade causing an inflamed pus and white blood cell eruption similar to varieties of acne. Oil is most certainly NOT good for your skin because the skin has oil. That is just silly. If needed ANY moisturizer that is low irritant that can form a barrier to protect from moisture loss will do and all the oils commonly recommended are NOT low irritant NOR do they do a better job than other moisturizers. Your pores DO NOT breathe. That is just silly. They don't have lungs and they aren't there to collect oxygen and they do not expand and close. They are there to cleanse and lubricye your skin with its own substances. All face washes and cleansers DO NOT "strip your skin". That is a myth sold by cosmetics companies after your money who market the "natural is better myth". That is all it is. Marketing. First they make you believe pretty ordinary skin conditions that are not health or life threatening in the age of insane hygeine and antibacterial everything and antibiotics are a big concern/make you ugly/need special products to treat. This spreads. Then they sell you on why their product is better than any other competitors so your consumer dollars go to their shareholders. There are almost no regulations on the claims of beauty treatments. Those that exist all cosmetic products get around easily in their wording (look and read closely what EXACTLY do they say their product can do to change anything about your skin?) Anything very distressing see a dermatologist with solid speciality postgrad medical degrees and a good local reputation.

use the right oil for your skin

I started using grapeseed oil as a cleanser about a month a go because of its astringent, healing and moisturising properties. and after a month of use the results are amazing, my pores look unclogged, my blackheads are reduced, I have had no breakouts what so ever and my skin is actually glowing! I have seen that many of you have had a bad reaction to the OCM because you have used coconut oil, personally I would not recommend coconut oil for the OCM if you have oily/acne prone skin or any type of acne prone skin, as coconut oil actually have a very high comedogenic rating compared to other oils suck as grapeseed oil or sweet almond oil (which I also highly recommend). this means that when coconut oil Is applied to oily or acne prone skin it is more likely to clog pores if used as a moisturiser or if it is not washed off thoroughly, and due to the greasiness of the oil it is most likely to leave residue on the skin anyway leading to blackheads, breakouts and possibly cystic acne. I am saying this from experience because I tried coconut oil for the OCM and after a few days of using it my skin FREAKED OUT, I have spots everywhere and I was embarrassed to even leave the house. however sweet almond oil and grapeseed oil are actually know to unclog pores and get rid of acne so I would highly recommend them for the OCM or as a moisturiser. if you would also like to use any other oils I would recommend doing some research on the comedogenic ratings of the oils and the uses of the oils as you may find that some oils are used more for moisturising and dry/flaky skin that for cleansing and getting rid of acne. some people have had very positive outcomes from using coconut oil, but the majority of them had originally dry /combination or dry/flaky skin. if you are relying on just reviews make sure that that person has a similar skin type as you because you might end up wrecking your skin.

Comments

Still recovering 6 months later..

This method did not work for me. If you're on the fence about this, personally, I don't think it's worth the risk. A few days into the OCM my face started to break out in closed comedones on my cheeks.. I have NEVER broken out on my cheeks, ever. Until trying the OCM. These comedones took forever to come to head, at one point I counted over 50 on my cheeks, and they left me with horrible, deep red pigmentation marks. It's been 6 months since I stopped and some of the marks have yet to fade. Again, this is not worth it.

Should i continue?

This is my 5th day on ocm and i am starting to get alot of heavy and angry breakouts that i never had on my forehead! But pimples on my chin have visibly reduced. Should i continue though? I read many comments that says to stop ocm but i do feel like giving it a go. Omgggg hahahaha but i really do not want to get anymore breakouts. i am feel like once i continue with this ocm, theres no going back for my breakouts :(

Hemp Seed Oil! With Castor

I have been using hemp seed oil on my face as a moisturizer on and off for about 2 years now and I have never felt like it caused me to break out, although I do have acne-prone skin.I just recently started using it in the Oil Cleansing Method. MY BACKGROUND I'm 24, I had mostly clear skin growing up but at age 20 I got the Mirena IUD and it broke me out horribly, I started getting cystic acne which I used to not get, after a year when I finally clued in that it was the Mirena making a mess of my skin, I had it removed and switched to the copper t-novo iud (which does not release any hormones) since then my skin has still been a struggle, not as bad as when I had the mirena - when I had the mirena I'd get acne all over my my cheeks, chin, my temples, and my forehead. Now without the mirena it is just my cheeks and chin that tend to get acne. I've tried a lot, acid peels (salicylic and lac tic acid), I've tried so many topicals, Proactiv, and I even had a few laser treatments which HURT. A lot. Some more than others, but yea pure torture. My acne eventually came back. I've also tried clean eating, I've noticed dairy and sugar (especially combined- icecream!) break me out, but even avoiding those and drinking 8-12 cups of water a day I still break out, and on top of that my red scarring was extremely slow to leave. REVIEW OF OCM - 2/3 Hemp seed Oil, 1/3 Castor Oil So like I said I used to moisturize with Hemp seed, and now I recently started using it in the OC method. At first I thought it was pretty good, I could feel it removing little blackheads and the tiny clogged pores very easily, but then I decided to add castor oil to it and I love it!!! It is the perfect mix for me. Before using this method my skin looked dull and lifeless, like it was lacking collagen. Basically, I looked gaunt, like I was under-nutritioned even though I eat quite healthy. This oil combo not only greatly reduces my redness, but it plumps my skin like nothing other!! But the great thing about the plumping, is that I put it under and on my eyelids too, and they don't swell up whereas other oils and also vaseline cause me to have gross puffy swelling. Note that this plumping of my skin only happens if I steam my face with the oil on, if I skip the steaming I don't get this so the steaming is very important. MY ROUTINE I OC at night every night and occasionally in the AM. At night, I grab my oil from the fridge (Hemp Seed oil Must be kept in the fridge) and I start massaging it all over my face, over my makeup (sometimes if I have heavy mascara on, I will rinse my face with water just to get most of it off, and then towel dry completely, but I don't use any other cleanser apart from the oil). So, I put it onto a dry face with clean hands and I begin to massage it into my skin for about 10 minutes, and then I soak a face cloth in hot hot water, ring it out a bit and drape it over my face, trying to seal it around my face with my hands. I re-soak it in hot water usually 3-5 times, I keep going with the steam until I feel I've gotten enough to give me the plumping effect. Then I either wipe the oil off with the cloth in an upward motion (I don't resoak it because I don't want to take all the oil off) orr if I had just gotten out of the shower or something and the whole bathroom is very steamy and hot, I will massage again and maybe even take some time to massage down my neck to get flow going in my lymph nodes. And ta da! Done. I don't apply any moisturizer because hemp oil penetrates the skin so amazingly well (and its a 0 on the noncomedigenic scale). In the morning, I wake up with significantly less redness than what any less skin routine would give me, and cute collagen-filled cheeks! So in the AM I just leave my skin be, unless it was a hot night where I was sweating a lot, then I do the OC again, but this time taking a bit less time to massage it in (depending on how much time I have) Anyways if you've tried OCM and it wasn't entirely pleasing you to the degree you hoped, I HIGHLY SUGGEST you try it with hemp seed oil and castor! It even leaves my skin looking matte! I seriously can't say enough about it. The only downside is it needs to be kept in the fridge or freezer. For me this isn't much of an issue because my place is small and my bathroom is right next to my kitchen. Totally worth it though, if you have to run down to a kitchen that is far away, I suggest just washing your hands thoroughly and then going to your kitchen to get the oil, and then start massaging it straight onto your skin while you're still in the kitchen, no need to grab it and bring it to the bathroom with you just to have to go put it back again. Ps- I've tried this with coconut oil, olive oil, and grapeseed oil, I would say that Hemp is superior to all of them. (Can be found at a health foods store!)

AMAZING!

Worked for me! and it will probably work for you. I used olive oil and castor oil but dont use coconut oil because it is common that it clogs pores. I left it overnight , and today! my face feels nice and if you put some castor/olive oil on your bags and on your eyelashes, it will make the bags go away, and your eyelashes longer.

Works for me!!

I have been using the OCM twice a week for the last three years. It has worked really well for me so far. I use a mixture of 40% castor + 60% almond oil. I have always wanted to try using safflower oil but never did because almond oil works great for me. Let me just give you some background about myself. I am a 29 year old from India, with a light brown complexion. I have normal skin which turns a little oily in summers. I have had a clear and smooth skin most of my life. I never had a single blemish on my face till the age of 24. Having always been kind of a nerd, I never bothered with my appearance or skin care. I started having little zits on my forehead and around my mouth. When people started commenting on how my skin is not as clear and baby smooth it used to be before, I started experimenting with a lot of beauty products to clear my face - washes, scrubs, masks, creams, you name it. It only made my skin worse. One day I got a big angry tomato red acne on my left cheek, and then another one near my mouth. These were not the harmless zits that went away in a couple of days. They were deep cystic acne. I saw a dermatologist right away. After taking the prescribed medicines, my left cheek cleared. But!! I got 2-3 new spots on my right cheek. Then that cleared up too...and I got more spots on my left cheek. My cheeks started looking like tomato patches. This went on for a while. My mom suggested this could be hormonal. I saw my gynecologist who ran a few blood tests for me. I was diagnosed with some early symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Disorder or PCOD. My doctor put me on birth control for three months (to regularize the menstrual cycle). She also prescribed another pill for PCOD for the next six months. With that and a LOT!! of lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, sleep, posture), my PCOD was under control. Within a month, my skin started clearing up. My complexion slowly got back to being flawless the way it was. After almost a year of being miserable, I got my clear skin back. I stopped experimenting with face products. I still do not use any commercial wash, cream etc. on my face if it is not recommended by my dermatologist. I do use homemade masks, scrubs made with kitchen ingredients though. I started doing the OCM only when my skin was absolutely clear. I noticed my complexion had started looking very dull and lifeless. I came across the OCM on a beauty blog. I was intrigued and decided to try it with 40% castor + 60% EVOO. The results on the first two days were amazing. I had this amazing glow on my face. But after a week, my skin felt a little dry and started looking dull again. I switched from EVOO to jojoba oil. That gave me tiny white heads on my nose and forehead. So I stopped doing it every day. I started doing it once a week and switched to almond oil. Luckily, almond oil did not break me out. After a few weeks when my skin adjusted to it (NOTE: I did not "purge". I have read many people have had a purging phase with OCM. Not in my case). I started doing it twice a week. OCM has worked out well for me. All said and done, I would suggest people to try this cleansing routine, but with a lot of care. Try once a week. Please do not go overboard while rubbing in the oil. Five minutes are more than enough. If you have perfect skin/complexion, please DO NOT experiment with it. I would definitely NOT recommend this to anyone who has acne, rosacea, or sensitive skin. OCM involves a lot of rubbing in of oil, which might further irritate your skin and worsen your acne. Having dealt with terrible cystic acne myself, I truly understand how upsetting it is and how desperate one feels to try the next new miracle cure. Acne (especially cystic/hormonal) is best treated with the help of a good doctor and important lifestyle changes. I really helps if you stop obsessing over it :). Your facial skin is delicate, treat it with a lot of care. Hope this helps!! and sorry about such a long post.

Comments

Be aware of what you're getting into...

Oh, how I wish the OCM had worked for me. I was completely committed for over 2 months. I'm 30 y/o and have combination oily/dry skin. I tend to only breakout on my chin (leads me to believe it's hormonal). Before starting this new method, I had just switched to using from using Proactiv to an organic blend of black african soap w/ a tiny amount of salicylic acid. Then, I'd use Clinique moisturizer. I wanted to try to wean myself off of these acne products, thinking, hey, now I'm 30, I probably don't need these chemicals, I'm probably just reliant on them. I did that for 3 months and would have maybe 1 small zit a week, sometimes maybe a cystic pimple, treatable with on the spot Proactiv lotion. So, I was pretty please that my skin was doing decently without needing daily acne treatment. I wanted to take it a step further and eliminate the need for the lotion (has some harmful chemicals in it and just thought it would be simpler, less products). Here's how it went: Week 1: Coconut oil 2Xday, no steaming...beautiful skin Week 2: Coconut oil 2Xday, not steaming...horrible huge cystic zits...3-6 at a time. I understand the whole purging thing, but this was insane. Then I read coconut oil bad for acneic skin so I then I switched to jojoba. Week 3-4: Jojoba Oil 2Xday...getting better Week 4-5: Jojoba Oil 2Xday ...horrible huge cystic zits, again only on my chin, tried adding the steaming method Week 5-6: Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, Tea Tree Oil and Tamanu oil blend, with steaming method 2X day...mostly tons of zits again, sometimes I'd have a couple days of freedom, and I'd think my skin was finally adjusting. Week 6-7: continued Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, Tea Tree Oil and Tamanu oil blend...realized that I now I 25 (yes 25) new ugly acne scars on my face. I started spot treating them with Proactiv again as it was just out of control. Week 7-8: Did OCM only 1Xday, back to African black soap in the morning. Still breaking out. Week 9: I quit. It was destroying my chin. This scarring is going to take months (years?) to heal (I have fair skin and it heals slowly). I'm now trying baking soda as my face wash, using a jojoba oil blend as a moisturizer for everywhere but my chin, proactiv on my chin, and my old Clinique moisturizer (just bought a Derm-e moisturizer today with NO oil...again, this Clinque moisturizer has some questionable chemicals in it.) Been 5 days and totally zit-free. So there's my (probably way too) detailed account. I have gone totally DIY/organic with all my cleaning and body products my last few months, so believe me, it hurt to give up on the OCM. But you know what...these chemicals, that I've been using my whole life, never did even a fraction of the damage that the OCM did. I'm going to just hope this new organic moisturizer doesn't cause break-outs and call it a day. I really tried my best here with troubleshooting. Would I recommend the OCM? Well, it works for some people, and I'm not sure I even regret it as it could have been great, but maybe I should have quit sooner. Maybe it just sucks for people with hormonal acne on their chin and jawline? Fair skin? Everyone's different.

Popular Household/Natural