Gluten Free Diet Reviews

Gluten Free Diet

Be the person you are! Not the one Ance has made you.

I never write reviews but I have to share!! I am 26 years old and I’ve suffered from acne from the age of 16. Recently I started to develop a rash around my nose and chin so I went to see my Dr who told me I had Eczema!! This was the last straw for me, I’ve had no confidence for years and have missed out on so many fun times with my friends and said no to dates with guys because of my skin, it’s literally ruined my teenage years and now my early adult years. About 7 days ago I broke down in tears infront of my roommate who was concerned as I’ve been so low. We decided to go on a google spree and research everything to do with acne, we disregarded creams, lotions antibiotics as I’d tried all of this my whole life and soon came to the conclusion that it may be my diet- now I generally eat pretty healthy but I did not know that GLUTEN was even a thing that may cause problems, we emptied out cupboards and I soon realised that almost everything I was consuming contained GLUTEN. I put everything into a bag and left it on the floor in the kitchen and decided that when I woke up the next day I’d go GLUTEN FREE. This is no LIE... after three days my skin was significantly improving, less red and itchy and all my pimples had gone into healing stage! It’s now day 7 and I do not have one pimple on my face!! I have a few on my neck from sweating at the gym but my face is SO CLEAR! Please, if you want to be the person you really are and not the underconfident unhappy individual that acne has made you, TRY GLUTEN FREE, I’m already so excited for the future and for the first time in over a year I went on a date to the beach yesterday and felt so great (no makeup). I’m sad that I’ve had to endure this for so long but I’m 26 and I have the rest of my life to make up for the lost years. Take my advice, what’s the worst that can happen? I will never look back because GLUTEN FREE IS THE WAY FORWARD, I’m so excited for you who are reading this because your about to change your life... that’s why you here right?

Thank you so much for this review, this is super encouraging! I’m very happy that you had found such great results, and I am excited to try myself!! :)
I'm so happy for you! I also went gluten free for my acne 19 months ago. My face was noticeably clearer within 4 days. It works. Keep at it!!

It's difficult but it works

Everyone is different, not everyone is sensitive to the same foods. My skin used to be red and inflamed 24/7. I cut out gluten for about a month and my skin became so much calmer and less inflamed which in turn meant less breakouts. I now follow a gluten free diet and my skin has improved so much. I still get small breakouts but far less and they heal faster. Give it a try for a month, it can't hurt.

Cleared in a few weeks!

I'm 16 years old and have tried everything to get rid of my acne.. since I was 12 I've had it all over my forehead. I had tried everything you can think of, from natural DIYs to expensive high dollar face wash, but literally nothing made a difference. I was so disappointed.. Recently I went to the ER because I couldn't breathe and the doctor told me I had bronchospasms (a type of asthma where your lungs spam due to allergies). The doctor also told me I had bad excema under my right eye. My mom is a real health nut, so she decided for me that I needed to stop eating gluten. At first I was SO SO SO against it... because let's be honest here, what teenager doesn't like pizza and honey buns!! After a few days I noticed a difference in how I felt. I felt more energized, I could breathe, my stomach didn't hurt from all the bread, my skin looked great and my excema was completly gone! I couldn't believe it. A few more weeks after eating gluten free, and my skin was completly clear! It went from my forehead being covered in big pimples, to having 1 or 2 occasionally. I was so shocked that taking one thing out of my diet would make such a HUGE differnce in how I felt! Boys and girls: gluten causes problems believe me.. I have chose to eat gluten free for the rest of my life and this is coming from a teenage who loves junk food ! Taking it out of my diet made me feel good and my skin look great.

Comments

Week 3 and Immediate Difference for First Time in My Life!

I'm a 36 yr old woman and have had acne all of my life. It has affected my confidence, everything. I can't even believe I didn't try this until now. I've done every single thing including removing dairy years ago, ensuring hygiene is excellent (changing pillow cases, cleaning my phone frequently, make up brushes... you name it.) I could NOT figure out why my acne never went away, even as I got older. I did notice a good improvement when I increased water intake, cut out the majority of junk foods/sugars/fried foods, and ensured I was sleeping well, so I do not want to discount the fact that I have been doing all of those things bit by bit over the years. But it still felt like breakouts would come out of absolutely no where - stress or not, they just kept coming. I really believe in the science behind the notion that acne is reflective of something out of balance inside the body- and in particular in the gut- and so I kept trying new things. Anyways, I'm pretty annoyed that I never believed it could be gluten (thought this was a hipster fad for the most part, aside from those with celiacs, etc) and anyhow, within literally 2 days of trying the gluten-free diet (in my mind, I did it simply to prove a point to myself that it couldn't possibly be it!), a major cystic acne flare up along my jaw, chin, and lower cheeks went down about 90%. I've never in my entire life seen such a quick improvement in my acne unless I was put on antibiotics. Right away, I also noticed digestion related changes for the better as well. After that, I didn't even find it hard to keep going on this - I felt so excited! It might be a bit frustrating some days at restaurants when I want to eat something and can't, but I'm finding so many delicious alternatives, it's really not that hard. My complexion is absolutely improving. I'm very, very grateful. I'm pretty angry that it took 36 yrs of hating my skin and that all of the dermatologists insisted it couldnt be diet related..... but, hopefully this post helps someone else out there. Try it. I also ditched all lotions awhile back as well, and went to a simple high quality organic jojoba oil too- so there's another tip for those looking to moisturize without clogging up pores.... good luck!

Comments

Had tried (almost) everything!

At 40 years old I developed moderate-severe cystic acne out of no where. I had never struggled with such bad acne. It was predominantly on my chin, jawline and sometimes my cheeks and forehead. I was prescribed countless topicals and oral antibiotics (including birth control and spiro). Nothing helped. My dermatologist, my gynecologist and my primary care physician all told me that Accutane was the only remaining option. And while I wasn't opposed to trying it, I wanted to exhaust less extreme options first. So, after two solid years of painful, cystic acne, I cut out gluten (and aimed to eat a low glycemic diet). Within two weeks of cutting out gluten, my acne seemed to calm down. Within three months it was entirely gone. At the 6 month mark I allowed myself a tiny bit of gluten (at one meal) and my acne came back within a week. It's now been 18 months of avoiding gluten and trying to eat a low-glycemic diet, and my acne is under control. I made the choice to have a tiny bit at one meal about a month ago and I'm still waiting for the pimples to clear up from that one gluten meal. It's worth noting that I'm a vegetarian and have been for 25 years (so, I was a vegetarian before the acne started and after). No idea what caused me to so suddenly have the acne reaction to gluten, but there's absolutely a connection. I eat gluten (or a high glycemic meal) and I get a horrible breakout. My pcp says it's hormonal/androgen related (we've done no blood work to confirm that...). Anyway, I wanted to share my story. I was a gluten-lover and it was tough to make the diet change, but if you're struggling with acne it might be worth trying. Good luck.

Diet is Everything

For the past 5+ years, i have experienced moderate to severe cystic acne. My diet consisted of mostly fast food, sugar, and simple carbs (crackers, cookies, pretzels, etc.) and I honestly just felt terrible most of the time. I initially started going on a gluten/dairy free diet simply because i had heard that it was much healthier and to see if would be a cure for my chronic fatigue. I have now been gluten and dairy free for about 6 months and can honestly say it was one of the best decisions of my life. Now I not only have much more energy and focus, but my acne has also finally completely cleared up. I Most doctors will tell you that diet has nothing to do with acne, but believe me when I say that that is entirely false. For me, the key was cleaning up my diet by switching to foods that promote a healthy gut (high fiber, probiotics, water, etc.) and steering away from fried foods, sweets and added sugars. If you struggle with acne and think gluten might be the cause, I would definitely urge you to try cutting it out of your diet in favor of more healthy alternatives. At the very least, you will almost surely feel healthier and more vibrant than ever before.

Holy Grail Miracle Cure!

I posted a super long detailed message and the site malfunctioned and it was all lost. I'm too aggravated to rewrite it all. Backstory: inflamed, tiny zits popped up everywhere weeks after I weaned my baby at 30 years old. I am now 34. I am finally cured. The wheat free diet started working after only 4 days! Totally clear by the 2 week. Unreal! 95% of bumps just gone. Still a few near hairline where my hair is greasy. I had done every topical and skin supplement on this earth. It was getting worse! I had gone dairy free and it did NOTHING. My Dr was dismissive when I asked about food potentially causing acne but luckily I am persistent and did my own research and gave it a try. Don't cheat! No bites of cake and no croutons! The tons of tiny face bumps I had are gone!! (Never had cystic acne) Give this a try!! It could be your miracle cure too. I'm now undergoing genesis laser treatments and glycolic peels (40%) to deal with residual texture and pore issues. Please try this. It's not that hard. I got cookbooks from the library. I think wheat is probably more of a poison than a food. I can't believe what it was doing to me without me even realizing it. How sad.

Well here I am 19 months into my gluten free lifestyle that cured my acne. My skin is still acne free. After suffering 4 years and being frustrated over doctors not helping me at all, I am so so glad I found the gluten free. Saved me from depression, frustration, and general misery. My sinuses are better, less headaches, clear skin, etc. I havent been sick since I went gluten free. Kind of unreal. I'm so relieved to have found my cure when no cream or topical would help. 4 years of bad skin is too long. Try this diet, please!

Gluten Free - Acne Free

I've discovered gluten (grains) is the source of my acne on lower cheeks and around the mouth. After i realized Dairy was the reason of my back acne i went gluten free to discover my face acne is cause by gluten. Trough a lot of time spent on trial and error on gluten free diet i finaly made a sustainable gluten free diet and my face stoped breaking out after just a week of gluten free diet. The main culprit of my back acne was dairy and lower cheek, around the mouth acne was gluten. Now i know if i ingested something that doesnt suit me from the location of my acne. Im acne gluten and acne free for 2 motnhs now. Anyway give it a go, and hopefuly it helps you also. No need to go vegan or blah blah, just cut out gluten containing food.

Comments

Only way to clear my acne altogether

I have had cystic acne for about ten years. On my back and shoulders, on my face mostly around jaw on the cheeks and around mouth. I have been to three different dermatologists and I had an Accutane-like treatment. Nothing helped. About three years ago I started exercising and my acne improved. I never ate a lot of dairy but to get more muscle I started drinking more milk and it worsened my acne so I stopped, that was about a year ago. Then my dad bought some green tea. I drank about three cups a day because I had a cold at the time and my acne started improving by a lot, it didn't clear up completely, that was about two months ago. I read a lot about green tea and its anti-inflammatory properties so I started eating a very different diet (so called anti-inflammatory), mostly vegetables, fruits and legumes, very little meat, some fish and a home made whole wheat and rye bread. Everything was going great, I was losing fat, my mood improved, but acne was still there. So I tried to stop eating the bread as it was the only gluten containing food I ate. That was about a week ago and I feel no pain from the remaining acne and no new has appeared since. I feel extremely stupid for trying this so late. Gluten free being such a hipster fad it made me skeptical it would be the only solution but it was. Only thing I will miss is beer (I am Czech).

Nothing spectacular

I've been off of gluten for about three months now, my main motivation in making that change was to see if it would make a difference in my moderate hormonal acne. While I have felt a generally better sense of well being (more energy, less stomach aches, bloating, gas, and indigestion) I haven't seen much improvement in terms of my skin. The bumps on my cheeks have calmed down a bit but I still get nasty hormonal flare ups along my chin, jaw, and near my mouth

Nope

Didnt really help... Tried going vegan did improve my skin but, one step further didnt going gluten free didnt get me the results i hope for, tried it for a year, i suppose I can just say hello to some beloved wholemeal bread again

Comments

Has made such a difference

I decided to give gluten-free a go after feeling as though I had tried everything else. My GPs had always said that my acne had nothing to do with my diet but seemed to only want to treat the symptoms not the cause. When they suggested I go on to heavier medication to age the skin and so bypass any hormonal changes I decided to experiment for myself and see if I could make a change on my own without resorting to that. I was tested for coeliac disease which came back negative but my mother has coeliac disease and so I have always wondered whether I might have a sensitivity. When I went gluten free the first change I noticed was in my nails; they used to crack and split regularly but now are much stronger. After about 2 months I noticed a dramatic improvement in my skin too, to the point where I have had a number of comments from people who have asked what treatment I've had done. My pigmentation from previous acne is starting to level out and clear up, and from previously having borderline cystic acne on a daily basis, I now just get the occasional tiny whitehead which clears up in a day or so. It is not easy to give up gluten but once I did my energy levels were better, I don't get hunger pangs as much and my skin looks better than it has since I was 13. If you are like me and at the end of your tether with acne, consider giving it a go for at least a month and see if you notice any change.

This Seriously Works

I have been dealing with cystic/hormonal acne for about 4 years. Painful, deep cystic acne (along with "normal" pimples) all over my lower cheeks by my mouth, along my jawline, and even slightly on my neck. Blackheads became an issue too. It seemed everything made me break out - humid weather was the worst. I couldn't be seen without makeup because my face was scarred and red, and constantly breaking out. This type of acne came about suddenly in my early twenties, and for a few years I was convinced it was related to my birth control. A few months ago, I decided to get to the root of the problem. I switched birth controls (probably too many times) trying to find "the one" that would make my acne go away. Unsurprisingly, nothing worked. I was also experiencing hair loss (which I was also convinced was because of my birth control pills). I tried EVERYTHING - masks, creams, antibiotics, DOZENS of supplements (the only one which seemed to work slightly was DIM-Plus), even spironolactone, essential oils, cutting out dairy, cutting out sugar - seriously, everything. After visiting 5 doctors in two months, I stumbled across a forum where someone mentioned gluten. I had always thought it was a "fad" diet, and never gave much credence to it. However, since I had nothing to lose, I decided to give it a go. On day two - yes, TWO - I noticed a difference. By day 4, my cystic acne had flattened and I wasn't noticing any new breakouts. I am not on week 2 of being gluten-free, and my face is clearer than it has been in YEARS. No new pimples - all cystic acne gone. I'm just dealing with getting rid of the scarring now, but even most of the redness is gone. I am telling you: if nothing seems to work, and you can't figure out the reason for your cystic acne, give the gluten-free diet a try. It could be the answer you've been looking for!

Never going back.

Cutting gluten from my diet is the only thing that ever genuinely fixed my cystic acne. I still occasionally get small pimples and some hormonal acne, but nothing like before. Had to cut it for 6 months -- not even a little bit of soy sauce, NOTHING with even a trace of gluten -- to notice the difference. WORTH IT. I can live without it. I eat rice pasta and rice bread, I eat tamari instead of soy sauce. I live in Toronto so it's easy to get yummy things like gluten-free cinnamon buns, sandwiches, and stuff like that all over the place. I don't care why gluten-free has become a fad but thank god it has because it's so much easier these days than it used to be to eat out (especially me also being vegan... luckiest girl in the world because I live with someone who works at a vegan/gluten-free bakery). Anyway, when I "cheat" and have some non g-free beer or a little bread or something if I'm visiting family, I get cystic acne around my eyebrows, chin and ears within a couple of days and it takes FOREVER to go away. I'm 100% certain it is connected. Now I just have to deal with the scars. Please try this. There are no side effects and it's not as much of an inconvenience as you probably imagine. You can still eat what you eat now, just different versions of it. Been off gluten for a few years now and I wish I'd done it sooner.

Helped tons!

I've been mostly gluten-free for the past 2 and a half years, although not perfectly but now I'm getting better and better at avoiding gluten. My forehead is CLEAN! I don't use any OTC products or drugs there and I have no pimples there. Whenever I have even a minimal amount of gluten, I do get terrible and painful pimples on my forehead that don't go away for 2 weeks no matter what I do. If I eat a lot of gluten (like I used to), my forehead will look like a minefield (like it used to). However, I still got pimples before my period and as a result of stress and so on. So now with a better sleep, benzoyl peroxide (I don't apply it on my forehead) and a topical antioxidant, my face is clear! I have a perfect complexion and I don't need to wear a lot of foundation. I used to have anemia too, now not anymore! Maybe I have Celiac but to get tested I need to binge on gluten for 3 months which is not gonna happen any time soon. Anyway, I finally have perfect skin, I wear sunscreen every day and I look and feel good!

It works!

Like some people here, I've had acne since I was 15 years old. Being 23 now, I've tried every over the counter cream and suffered many painful cysts. After reading some reviews for inositol, which is mostly for women with PCOS, I decided to give it a try. It helped significantly at first, but it wasn't enough. I still had the occasional cyst and white heads. Later, I discovered that my father is allergic to gluten and my mother is sensitive to it. This encouraged me to eliminate gluten from my diet for at least a week and see what my results would be. Today is day five of my gluten-free diet and my face has NEVER felt so smooth! My currents cysts are very flat and almost gone, and there are no new nodules on my face. There's also a difference in my level of energy and mood. Overall, I feel great! I'm still taking inositol because it helps, but that's it. I'm so glad something finally works!

Comments

Finally hope for a cure.

I have struggled with acne since I started breaking out in painful cysts around age 14 ( I am 20 now). Through the years, my acne has only gotten worse and I have found nothing to be of much help. I have gone to a dermatologist several times and have been prescribed several different topical gels, 2 different kinds of antibiotics, cortisone injections, etc. My mom is also an esthetician so I have had my share of facials, peels, masks, two different expensive acne skin care lines, and light therapy but nothing seemed to help. I finally decided as a last resort to start eliminating foods out of my diet, starting with gluten. After a week of no gluten, I noticed a significant change in my skin. Though it was not fully clear yet, all of the cysts were flat, not painful, and I hadn't developed hardly any new ones. I still had red spots from previous breakouts & the occasional zit that would clear up within a day. This was a huge improvement compared to the horribly painful cysts that covered my forehead and cheeks. I decided to eat a muffin one morning because I thought my clear skin was only due to starting birth control. I WAS WRONG. Within three hours of eating the muffin, I broke out into 8 new painful cysts with whiteheads all over my forehead. I haven't touch gluten since then which was about 3 days ago. So far, the cysts are starting to clear up slowly and I have not developed any new ones. If you've tried everything to no avail, I would definitely recommend this. I'm hoping to see more improvement as I stick strictly to the diet so we'll see!

Not for me

Easier to stay healthy Doesn't affect acne Costs more if you want gluten-free products I have not touched gluten in two months now, but I'm still breaking out in cystic pimples. I used to have severe acne (a side-effect after coming off the pill), it's a lot better now but still moderate. I am also taking antibiotics at the moment and I think those are the reason why my acne is getting better, but since it's quite easy to stay away from gluten I don't see a reason not to do it. It's hard at first but as you get used to it, it's easy to stay away from bread, pasta, cookies... It's a healthy choice of life but I'm afraid it doesn't take away acne. Not for me, at least.

Try eliminating dairy. Gluten and dairy are the two main culprits so if eliminating gluten didn't solve your acne eliminating dairy might!
You need to wait longer than 2 months. Try 6 months, then eat a bagel and you'll know. And I agree with Amy, cutting dairy helps, too. I didn't go off dairy because of acne, it was for ethical reasons, but other people told me that they noticed improvement.
I have been vegan for years, so no dairy for me..and I still break out like crazy.

After 15 years, something finally worked

Once you get a handle on it, it's so easy to avoid gluten It's healthier anyway not to eat bread and pasta and pizza It's easier and cheaper in the long run than using a ton of products or treatments Have to educate yourself very throughly about what you can and can't eat Can't go out to eat at most restaurants, and have to be willing to ask servers to help you make gluten free decisions since gluten is hidden in other foods There are a lot of yummy things you can't eat, but there are even more you still can, so give it a try I've had acne since I was 15, and I'm now 30. For those 15 years I took antibiotics, used Differin, Retin-A, BP, salicylic acid, and anything else a doctor told me to try, for years at a time. Nothing worked and my skin was dry, sensitive, and I had painful acne that has left scars. I finally did an elimination diet (look it up, find a plan you can follow, then follow it to the letter) and my skin cleared up within two weeks. A month and a half later I added gluten back in to see if I broke out, and within 5 days I broke out all over my back and lower face, in really painful, inflamed red bumps. I took gluten out again, and within less than 2 weeks I was clear again. It's been close to 4 months now that I've been gluten-free and I've miraculously been acne free as well. I really hope some 15 year olds read this and save themselves a half of a lifetime of low self-esteem, scaring, expensive treatments, and general misery. To those who say that gluten-free products are expensive: usually they aren't very healthy anyway, being high in sugar and other processed white grains like rice or corn, so just don't buy them! You can eat so many other things that nature already provided gluten-free, so skip the processed substitutes. Also, if you do want gluten free cereal and bread, it's going to be cheaper in the long run than prescription medications, over the counter creams, microdermabrasion for inevitable scarring, or laser treatment for leftover dark marks. Think of it that way. Try it for a minimum of two months. You can make it that long, I promise. If you actually do it right, no cheating, you might get the miracle results I got too.

( I really hope some 15 year old read this and save themselves a half of a lifetime of low self-esteem, scaring, expensive treatments, and general misery)... I WANTED TO CRY WHEN I READ THIS.. SO TRUE

I do feel like it has cleared up my skin quite a bit but I can't say for sure if this is the reason why. I would recommend trying it though! I feel better over-all. gluten-free items pretty much all seem to cost a little more.. Gluten-free bread costs about $5-$6. try it!

Comments

Better health overall More energy Depression gone Better digestion No need to wear foundation Have to be mindful about what foods to eat! However there is astonishing variety of gluten free alternatives. After only a few days on gluten free diet, 90% of my acne is gone. Amazing, as I've had acne for last 17 years. It's the first time I feel confident enough in my skin to stop wearing foundation. And overall improvement in health doesn't heart, as in much more energy, balanced emotional and mental states, better digestion.

Popular Nutrition/Holistic