Notifications
Clear all

a combo of AHA, retinol, and benzyl peroxide

MemberMember
(@jewelz)

Posted : 05/13/2006 1:52 am

has anyone tried using all three? i didnt know of the benefits of combining all three and ive begun to try it today. ive used bp before and hated it, used retinol, went off of it, then AHA, and then back to retinol again. ive tried using AHA and retinol together before to protect my skin and prevent acne, but needed something to more aggressively fight the acne. but ive never thought of using all three of them together until i read this one article online. it made sense to combine all three of them together. ive heard that a combo of AHA and retinol is great for preventing/treating signs of aging, and no one suggested adding bp to the mix. it's only been a day since i used all three at once so ill keep you guys posted if any of you guys want to try. my skin feels baby soft right now though, it's a different feeling. i wish i educated myself when i started breaking out.

btw here's the LINK to the pg [Edited link out]

it looks like the best topicals for acne so far are retinol, AHA, and BP. the article also talks about accutane. they say that the only way to cure acne is to stop the oil production completely or something along that line. read it.

since i already have a retinol and AHA product, i first apply my AHA, let it sit, then retinol, let it sit, then the Oxy 5% bp which i ran out and bought today. im planning on buying RoC which is a product that has both retinol and AHA in it, but im not sure if that's what i want to do since the separate retinol and AHA that i have now are probably more strong and effective. i know for sure the retinol that i have right now is stronger than the retinol that is in RoC, but since im young i dont need to use strong retinol and AHA, so i might buy RoC. hmm...ill just use up what i have now and decide later

MemberMember
(@sros41)

Posted : 05/13/2006 10:23 am

i dont think that lts a good idea to use the retinol and bp together because they diffuse each others effectiveness, or at least thats what my doctor said when she gave me benzaclin and retinamicro so id be careful with the two of them together, but the retinol and the AHA sounds really effective

MemberMember
(@mman)

Posted : 05/13/2006 10:29 am

I know that the instructions on my prescription for differin and retin-a say not to combine with Alpha Hydroxy Acid. Not sure why, but I figured I would post this here just to let you know.

MemberMember
(@jewelz)

Posted : 05/13/2006 5:31 pm

ive never heard that retinols and AHAs should not be used together..i only heard how they compliment each other

do you think using bp when im not using retinol or aha would be ok then? like one day use bp, the next aha and retinol and so on..

there are products that combine retinol w/aha like RoC so i dont think it's bad to use them together..

MemberMember
(@rj4023)

Posted : 05/25/2006 1:07 am

Yea i tried MaMa lotion and retin-a and it just didn't work out. They didn't tear my skin up or anything but i could tell they just didn't work synergistically for some reason.

MemberMember
(@mmcgough)

Posted : 02/07/2014 3:24 pm

http://www.newbeauty.com/blog/dailybeauty/6453-is-mixing-skin-care-products-dangerous/

go to this website! In the article they say don't mix retinol with bp or AHA but then if you scroll down to the comments there are a bunch of people who completely disagree stating there are no facts or evidence to back up you shouldn't be using them together.. a Medical Aesthetician and Nurse with acne also agrees and said she used them together and they helped clear her acne so I think it's safe to say using them together is completely okay! plus I used retinol the first 2 weeks on the regimen and my acne cleared up a lot when I stopped because I thought I wasn't suppose to use them together I actually to started to breakout

MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 02/07/2014 3:41 pm

I really love the combo of BHA, retinol an for the extremely rare case of a zit, BP as a spot treatment. I think AHA might bring similar results.

MemberMember
(@callendula)

Posted : 10/11/2015 5:13 pm

I know this an old thread. I just wanted to add that I use a combo of 10%AHA, 1% retinol, 2% BHA and also BP (spot treat only when needed which is rarely now).

I have read to make BP more effective, use the AHA first then apply BP over it.

I do NOT use all of these at the same time. I alternate days and keep track on my calendar. BHA every 4th day (cause I use Paula's extra strength and can only tolerate it that often), Retinol every 3rd day, and AHA every 3rd day. IF this schedule happens to fall on the same day, say retinol and BHA, I will use my BHA in the morning and the retinol at night. I spot treat with 2.5% BP even over retinol and haven't noticed it being ineffective. I also moisturize even though my skin is normally oily, because it will dry out faster than you realize. For me, that means a terrible case of cysts from a destroyed skin barrier. :(

I don't necessarily think it's bad to mix them if you want--but you need to consider the strengths of each. Roc has a small amount of retinol and probably low AHA. I would not put my 10% AHA cream on then follow with a 1% retinol. There may be people who have success with that, but I think you're likely asking for excess irritation which can wreak havoc on the skin barrier and cause worse breakouts. However, ifyour skin is tough and it works for you, great! :) If you haven't tried it, I'd be cautious.

Using this combination of products, I have cleared my skin after 15 years!

MemberMember
(@banana-fly)

Posted : 10/13/2015 10:58 am

I've started using a combo of 2% BHA exfoliant and 5% BP.

I've already used the 2% SA exfoliant from Paula's Choice for 2 weeks now. My face has been puuuurgiiiing so bad.... But aside from all those little red pimples and scabs (yes I pick and pop, I suck I know) I can see that my pores are clear and not congested anymore!!

So to help with the inflammation, I've added 5% BP. I only had 10% at home but that is too strong for me... so bought a 5% one today.

I think I can only use the BHA once a day and the BP every other day. My skin is so dry and sensitive :( yet oily... yeah you know, like most of us!

So hopefully this combo will clear me up otherwise I will go completely crazy :P

MemberMember
(@callendula)

Posted : 10/13/2015 5:44 pm

I've started using a combo of 2% BHA exfoliant and 5% BP.

I've already used the 2% SA exfoliant from Paula's Choice for 2 weeks now. My face has been puuuurgiiiing so bad.... But aside from all those little red pimples and scabs (yes I pick and pop, I suck I know) I can see that my pores are clear and not congested anymore!!

So to help with the inflammation, I've added 5% BP. I only had 10% at home but that is too strong for me... so bought a 5% one today.

I think I can only use the BHA once a day and the BP every other day. My skin is so dry and sensitive :( yet oily... yeah you know, like most of us!

So hopefully this combo will clear me up otherwise I will go completely crazy :P

The 2% extra strength (the same as the BHA liquid) dries me out horribly. I can only use every 4 days. I find that when my skin gets too dry, it gets cysts. :( My skin is oliy, too! But this regimen dries it up some. I do use a moisturizer so I don't overdo it. Sometimes, I don't even know my skin is super dry until the cysts show up...which of course is too late. lol That extra strength BHA made me purge so bad. I had to stop because I couldn't stand it . Started slower by using the 2% regular strength 2x a day for several months. Then when I got clear enough, I started my new regimen with the extra strength and the rest. I haven't needed BP in a long time, now. :) I hope you have the same results!!

My blog about Paula's Choice progress lists my struggles and my tweaks to get where i am today, if anyone is interested. It's my trial and error experiment and perhaps it will help others.