Notifications
Clear all

Dr. Edwin Williams combined procedure with dermabrasion for scars

MemberMember
(@charisma786)

Posted : 08/01/2022 12:58 pm

What do you all think of this? Is it too aggressive?

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 08/01/2022 7:55 pm

I thank to god I was asleep during mine that's all I can say. I can't even imagine how deep he went on me given the scabs I got afterwards. Still thankful but ouch... Must've been like a geyser in that office.

I mean if it works why not consider it. Dermbrasion has it's place. Whether it's just for icepicks maybe idk. Whether it's good in concert with lasers idk maybe.

I'm bummed doctors abandoned Dermabrasion (the old type that went deep or effective, risks notwithstanding) and jumped onto the I'm lazy just push buttons laser bandwagon in 2010. It seems like all doctors just uniformly adopted lasers as revolutionary and guess what lasers don't do miracle to the majority so you need to continue to do things that worked and test things that are new.

MemberMember
(@orangelaser162gmail-com)

Posted : 08/02/2022 3:27 am

this doctor does dermabrasion but his staff said they cant show me any before and afters https://www.instagram.com/p/CKM69erjKLO/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

MemberMember
(@charisma786)

Posted : 08/02/2022 6:41 pm

22 hours ago, harmlessboy1441 said:

I thank to god I was asleep during mine that's all I can say. I can't even imagine how deep he went on me given the scabs I got afterwards. Still thankful but ouch... Must've been like a geyser in that office.

I mean if it works why not consider it. Dermbrasion has it's place. Whether it's just for icepicks maybe idk. Whether it's good in concert with lasers idk maybe.

I'm bummed doctors abandoned Dermabrasion (the old type that went deep or effective, risks notwithstanding) and jumped onto the I'm lazy just push buttons laser bandwagon in 2010. It seems like all doctors just uniformly adopted lasers as revolutionary and guess what lasers don't do miracle to the majority so you need to continue to do things that worked and test things that are new.

Which doctor did you see for your dermabrasion? This one is charging too much and as I am Canadian 8000 American would come out to over 10 grand canadian for me. Not worth it. I am basically contacting many dermatologists and plastic surgeons right now throughout North america and sending them my pictures to find out their prices and to look at their before and afters. So far no one's really made an impression.

15 hours ago, laserorange said:

this doctor does dermabrasion but his staff said they cant show me any before and afters https://www.instagram.com/p/CKM69erjKLO/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I saw his work on youtube as well. His reviews aren't too good. California derms and plastic surgeons also seem to be charging an arm and a leg. Hard to find a doctor who isn't greedy and who wants to genuinely help.

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 08/02/2022 7:31 pm

50 minutes ago, charisma786 said:

Which doctor did you see for your dermabrasion? This one is charging too much and as I am Canadian 8000 American would come out to over 10 grand canadian for me. Not worth it. I am basically contacting many dermatologists and plastic surgeons right now throughout North america and sending them my pictures to find out their prices and to look at their before and afters. So far no one's really made an impression.

One that retired like 3-4 years ago, just at totally random local doctor. But I got it in 2004.

Remember, there is a vast distinction between dermabrasion of the old days and the so-called dermabrasion now. Now apparently they consider dermabrasion a "light scraping" that heals in like 2-4 weeks. Mine was a major procedure that caused two large scabs for 2 weeks to fall off and remove the bandages that way, 2 months of redness (new skin) and 8-9 months of pink skin. Whether they went down towards the middle layer back then I don't know.

I only say this because I would not pay huge money for some "microdermabrasion" nonsense.

I paid $3000 over 15 years ago. I would suspect the going rate is or should be $5750-$7000 for a very aggressive dermabrasion adjusted for inflation. But again a microdermabrasion should be much, much lower. I've heard of doctors that charge over $7000 and while I'd only consider $9000+ a ripoff based on old prices, I feel $8000 is on the higher range. But I guess it's not offered much anymore so it's a illiquid market.

MemberMember
(@orangelaser162gmail-com)

Posted : 08/02/2022 7:45 pm

dr rullan says his phenol chemabrasion is superior to dermabrasion because its a wet processthe skin doesnt dry out like it does with dermabrasion alone and heals superiorly. he called it an embryonic environment. he seems to know best of any doctor ive seen and ive seen tons of cosmetic doctors. most really dont know anything. they dont collaborate with their peers, read up on new research, or try anything they dont know. just a thought. i also saw dr lim post on instagram that he has never done a dermabrasion because hea not comfortable with it, so if the two kings of acne scarring dont like it, id be inclined to believe them.

MemberMember
(@charisma786)

Posted : 08/03/2022 12:06 am

4 hours ago, laserorange said:

dr rullan says his phenol chemabrasion is superior to dermabrasion because its a wet processthe skin doesnt dry out like it does with dermabrasion alone and heals superiorly. he called it an embryonic environment. he seems to know best of any doctor ive seen and ive seen tons of cosmetic doctors. most really dont know anything. they dont collaborate with their peers, read up on new research, or try anything they dont know. just a thought. i also saw dr lim post on instagram that he has never done a dermabrasion because hea not comfortable with it, so if the two kings of acne scarring dont like it, id be inclined to believe them.

I have seen Dr. Rullan twice, didn't get any results from him so didn't return. I have seen many doctors people suggested on this forum and I have spent a lot of money over the years on my skin. Best results I have gotten have been from subcision and filler. I am not a fan of doing a phenol peel as my scars are a result of an acid burn I had many years ago so I have injury scars that are a little different to your regular old acne scars. I was advised by many doctors to avoid a phenol peel given the nature of my scarring. Dermabrasion I have been told is best in terms of sanding down the rough edges of scarring which is why I am keen on getting that done but I need to find the right doctor for the job.

4 hours ago, harmlessboy1441 said:

One that retired like 3-4 years ago, just at totally random local doctor. But I got it in 2004.

Remember, there is a vast distinction between dermabrasion of the old days and the so-called dermabrasion now. Now apparently they consider dermabrasion a "light scraping" that heals in like 2-4 weeks. Mine was a major procedure that caused two large scabs for 2 weeks to fall off and remove the bandages that way, 2 months of redness (new skin) and 8-9 months of pink skin. Whether they went down towards the middle layer back then I don't know.

I only say this because I would not pay huge money for some "microdermabrasion" nonsense.

I paid $3000 over 15 years ago. I would suspect the going rate is or should be $5750-$7000 for a very aggressive dermabrasion adjusted for inflation. But again a microdermabrasion should be much, much lower. I've heard of doctors that charge over $7000 and while I'd only consider $9000+ a ripoff based on old prices, I feel $8000 is on the higher range. But I guess it's not offered much anymore so it's a illiquid market.

Yes I know. I have over a decades worth of skin procedures behind me and I have met many doctors. The ones I am emailing are mostly plastic surgeons who still do specialize in dermabrasion and they are all quoting anywhere from 3000-7000 whether they're in Canada or America. They all use anesthesia as well so it's the aggressive dermabrasion procedure.

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 08/03/2022 2:05 am

Ill PM you the doc in mexico i found that i believe knows how to do surgical dermabrasion.

MemberMember
(@catharsis2018)

Posted : 08/03/2022 2:05 pm

11 hours ago, dirigo39 said:

Ill PM you the doc in mexico i found that i believe knows how to do surgical dermabrasion.

Are you for real? I have been PMing you repeatedly to ask for dermabrasion contact details and Ive been ignored flat out.

14 hours ago, charisma786 said:

I have seen Dr. Rullan twice, didn't get any results from him so didn't return. I have seen many doctors people suggested on this forum and I have spent a lot of money over the years on my skin. Best results I have gotten have been from subcision and filler. I am not a fan of doing a phenol peel as my scars are a result of an acid burn I had many years ago so I have injury scars that are a little different to your regular old acne scars. I was advised by many doctors to avoid a phenol peel given the nature of my scarring. Dermabrasion I have been told is best in terms of sanding down the rough edges of scarring which is why I am keen on getting that done but I need to find the right doctor for the job.

Yes I know. I have over a decades worth of skin procedures behind me and I have met many doctors. The ones I am emailing are mostly plastic surgeons who still do specialize in dermabrasion and they are all quoting anywhere from 3000-7000 whether they're in Canada or America. They all use anesthesia as well so it's the aggressive dermabrasion procedure.

What did you do with Rullan?

MemberMember
(@charisma786)

Posted : 08/03/2022 3:13 pm

13 hours ago, dirigo39 said:

Sure I am also contacting all dermatologists and plastic surgeons throughout Canada and America. It's been interesting speaking to so many doctors. As I have done everything I thought it was time to try something new.

1 hour ago, Catharsis2018 said:

Are you for real? I have been PMing you repeatedly to ask for dermabrasion contact details and Ive been ignored flat out.

What did you do with Rullan?

First time I saw him we did aggressive subcision, no filler, his microneedling which I find completely useless and PRP. Second time we did subcision, phenol cross and again no results. I have very stubborn scars. My subcision and filler results worked best by local dermatologists and it's what has helped my skin the most. I am now left with textural issues and the hard edges of much softer towards the surface scars. Rullan isn't very good with filler which is why I didn't get that done from him and my skin didn't even respond to the phenol cross. I have spent a lot of money and visited many derms and plastic surgeons now so know what to watch out for and while some are greedy and in it for the money others are very nice like Rullan but I just didn't get results from him. i am now only interested in dermabrasion. I would not personally go for a full phenol peel given the nature of my scarring.

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 08/03/2022 9:17 pm

On 8/2/2022 at 8:45 PM, laserorange said:

Well if you saw me in 1999 and then in 2007 you'd believe me over those two guys but to be honest it might just be case specific. Of course it's an extremely delicate balance afterwards though like everything can irritate it, it's not perfect. It's something that looks great but my main concern and why I didn't do anything for over a decade was I was afraid it was so delicate/tenuous that any procedure could reverse it. I mean the icepicks are so healed that they look like stretch marks basically, totally level but reddish. You know how stretch marks are level, basically many icepicks turned into level stretch marks on a tiny scale.

That said, chemabrasion MIGHT be superior as I can imagine some sort of acid/scraping combination might help the epidermis heal better, but it may also carry more risks. Scraping dry might be risk too. All I can state is that I had 3x deeper icepicks and afterwards many healed 90%, all healed at least 75% and the real negative was texture is flawed and uneven super up close, and the scars weirdly hyper pigment upon irritation but I thought all scars do that.

I'm not going to lie, I'd still like to see Rullan for my texture, because it's super complicated. It looks good certain days then fluctuates and looks like a zombie or like weird. The normal docs around here don't really grasp why the texture is how it is. My hope would be Rullan could figure it out but to be blunt I'm better than most so I'm weighing stuff. AT the least I really want a subcision and filler and if I could fix that one spot I could live with the pores and texture moreso. I'd easily try Lim but going to Australia would be such a burden for superficial scars.