Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SoTiredofScars

Subcision Results so Far

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

I’ve visited these forums for years trying to find any hope in getting rid of my acne scarring. I finally decided that I needed to start with subcision to get rid of the rolling scars that bothered me the most. 

It was SO difficult to find a doctor’s office that even knew what subcision was, let alone to find a doctor that performs it in my area. I finally found one and had to CONVINCE him to do subcision on me because everyone automatically just jumps to lasers. 

I had subcision done 9 days ago and I finally joined to post progress photos and share my journey with anyone that needs it. I’m trying to be hopeful but I know a lot of these results are still just from swelling.

I know many people experience their scars re-tethering so I’ve been suctioning to hopefully prevent that.

Do you guys think my scars will most likely depress again? My results so far are not amazing but I definitely see improvement.

I did my best taking the “after” photo to reflect the same lighting and angle used in the “before”.

Let me know what you all think. I will be posting again to see if I still see further improvement.

First is before and second is after. 

5A7089FF-CBC6-4AE5-89AE-8E5E91A365FF.jpeg

E991F3EC-EB0D-4B30-84F2-8714FE098E22.jpeg

Edited by SoTiredofScars
Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, you might benefit from TCA cross! At least 3 to see results.

 

I see some improvement, but I would recommend TCA based on what I see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Starlite said:

Honestly, you might benefit from TCA cross! At least 3 to see results.

 

I see some improvement, but I would recommend TCA based on what I see.

I've done TCA cross before at home and have seen slight improvement in my ice pick scarring. Honestly, it's the rolling scars that bothered me the most because they looked terrible in certain lighting. My skin looked withered in direct sunlight. I won't do TCA cross again for a while because I'm suctioning now and that would disrupt the healing process of TCA cross. I think the suctioning is actually making my pores and ice pick scars look even worse but I'd take that over rolling scars any day lol. I just really want to improve any tethering I have and then continue with textural issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You got really minimal scarring to start with lol. But after pic does look a good amount better, but like you said it's most likely swelling. After swelling goes away, it may look back to normal but the collagen creation process continues for months so may continue to get better after that

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, acknee4life said:

You got really minimal scarring to start with lol. But after pic does look a good amount better, but like you said it's most likely swelling. After swelling goes away, it may look back to normal but the collagen creation process continues for months so may continue to get better after that

I wouldn’t call them minimal. The photos might not show the true intensity of my scars. They’re not severe by any means and are mostly shallow but they’re very widespread and there’s so much. I’m hoping subcision will make a difference at least in my rolling scars.

Did you have subcision done? What were your results?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've had 5 subcisions in the past 9 months, the most recent being a few days ago (and I don't plan to do anymore). I will share with you my experience, but of course understand everyone is different.

Your swelling will subside and the scars will return, however your smallest ones may never return; I've had many shallow rollers either disappear or turn into tiny linears. Some of these just from 1 subcision (and its annoying because my derm often misses a lot of the tiny ones, so I started pointing them out in the later sessions). 

You won't see your real results for 3-9 months, as acknee4life noted above. Collagen formation is a lengthy process. You will see a lot of people post here 2 weeks after their appointment where they had subcision, the swelling subsides, and complaining their scars are back. They haven't read the literature (or are impatient - or both). 

Even if you see no improvement, as long as you heard those fibrous bands snapping, then the efficacy of many other procedures,  should be better. This is a huge point and one of the main benefits of subcision. It is never for nothing, just remember patience is key and there are many steps in your journey.

The consensus seems to be to get at least 2-3 subcisions, as some bands may not have been properly broken, and some will reform. Even then, the process still stimulates collagen formation.

In regards to your scars, I agree your rolling scars especially closer to the jawline are what I'd be mostly concerned with, and yes subcision is king for rolling scars.

Good luck, just be realistic and understand its a journey with slow progress, but none of yours seem overly deep and I'd be really optimistic about that. 

Edited by Flooressence
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Flooressence said:

I've had 5 subcisions in the past 9 months, the most recent being a few days ago (and I don't plan to do anymore). I will share with you my experience, but of course understand everyone is different.

Your swelling will subside and the scars will return, however your smallest ones may never return; I've had many shallow rollers either disappear or turn into tiny linears. Some of these just from 1 subcision (and its annoying because my derm often misses a lot of the tiny ones, so I started pointing them out in the later sessions). 

You won't see your real results for 3-9 months, as acknee4life noted above. Collagen formation is a lengthy process. You will see a lot of people post here 2 weeks after their appointment where they had subcision, the swelling subsides, and complaining their scars are back. They haven't read the literature (or are impatient - or both). 

Even if you see no improvement, as long as you heard those fibrous bands snapping, then the efficacy of many other procedures,  should be better. This is a huge point and one of the main benefits of subcision. It is never for nothing, just remember patience is key and there are many steps in your journey.

The consensus seems to be to get at least 2-3 subcisions, as some bands may not have been properly broken, and some will reform. Even then, the process still stimulates collagen formation.

In regards to your scars, I agree your rolling scars especially closer to the jawline are what I'd be mostly concerned with, and yes subcision is king for rolling scars.

Good luck, just be realistic and understand its a journey with slow progress, but none of yours seem overly deep and I'd be really optimistic about that. 

Thank you for your reply! I am aware that my scars might re-tether and that's what I'm most afraid of. It's now been about 11 days since I've had my subcision done and I still see improvement that I'm quite happy with but I'm afraid that it's largely due to prolonged swelling from suctioning. I think I have a hematoma that is acting like a filler in the spot that bothered me the most as well. It's also where I heard the most snapping during the procedure.

What % of improvement have you had with 9 subcisions would you say? Are you comfortable with sharing pictures of your results? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see some improvement. The upper cheek has an area where it plumped up. But yes, swelling can definitely contribute.

You have some scars that may be suitable for TCA Cross like Starlite said. But please do your research on the risks of this if you do go higher (by yourself or by a doctor). The percentage you used probably wasn't as high as a professional would.

What about filler? Those can get pricey over time. But have you tried any?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Amanda Hall said:

I see some improvement. The upper cheek has an area where it plumped up. But yes, swelling can definitely contribute.

You have some scars that may be suitable for TCA Cross like Starlite said. But please do your research on the risks of this if you do go higher (by yourself or by a doctor). The percentage you used probably wasn't as high as a professional would.

What about filler? Those can get pricey over time. But have you tried any?

That area that's plumped now is what bothered me the most before. There is a bump I can feel below it so I'm afraid once that goes away that it will return to how it was before.

I'm thinking about getting filler after I fully heal and maybe another subcision at the end of the year. I definitely want hyaluronic acid fillers but I'm still not 100% sure which one would be best for my case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SoTiredofScars said:

Thank you for your reply! I am aware that my scars might re-tether and that's what I'm most afraid of. It's now been about 11 days since I've had my subcision done and I still see improvement that I'm quite happy with but I'm afraid that it's largely due to prolonged swelling from suctioning. I think I have a hematoma that is acting like a filler in the spot that bothered me the most as well. It's also where I heard the most snapping during the procedure.

What % of improvement have you had with 9 subcisions would you say? Are you comfortable with sharing pictures of your results? 

Well my swelling usually goes down after maybe 5~ days so its good that its still plumped up, but yeah I never had suctioning. Do you know what needle was used? Was it cannula?

Yeah I found some photos right before the first subcision and some from a few weeks ago (couple months after 4th subcision).

Some things to note:

  • My options are limited where I live, but all of mine have been with just a regular needle (the original method) which isn't as effective as some of the newer methods like cannula. My derm also only targets a few areas at once, often misses spots etc.
  • I only just dug up the pre 1st subc photos and as I just had a 5th, I can't take new ones right now to try match angles/lighting as my face is still a bit bruised/swollen.
  • No filler or any other treatments in the time between these, and as I noted, this is after 4 subcisions. 
  • I have a huge atrophic fat loss hole which basically only filler can help - at least that's what was theoretically told - however I've found heaps of new skin as formed around and in parts of it (for example if you look closely you'll see skin has formed between and sort of split it into two). It is still a huge eyesore and I will be getting filler for it sometime this year. 

Overall, I am happy with my progress so far, especially given the limited treatment options. You just need to give it time, and multiple treatments. On my 4th subcision I heard some bands snapping still, and on my 5th subcision, I still heard bands on 1 small scar snapping - probably wouldn't be the case if it was nokor or cannula, but you work with what you can do, and I'd rather confirm all bands have snapped, and enjoy the collagen benefits as well, than to risk leaving any tethered. You should definitely get at least a second at the very least. Patience is everything.

[I should really shave before taking these lol, but never take them with the intention to post]

 

AUGvsMAY.jpg

Edited by Flooressence
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2021 at 7:59 AM, SoTiredofScars said:

I wouldn’t call them minimal. The photos might not show the true intensity of my scars. They’re not severe by any means and are mostly shallow but they’re very widespread and there’s so much. I’m hoping subcision will make a difference at least in my rolling scars.

Did you have subcision done? What were your results?

I've had 2 trios with rullan so subcision, cross, and erbium so kind of hard to pinpoint how much subcision has done. I've also not really looked at my before and afters too closely yet because I got fillers to act as spacer so scars don't retether so the fillers would also make things look better. Rullan said I'd probably need 1-2 more but I don't think that's true

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2021 at 9:12 AM, SoTiredofScars said:

I've done TCA cross before at home and have seen slight improvement in my ice pick scarring. Honestly, it's the rolling scars that bothered me the most because they looked terrible in certain lighting. My skin looked withered in direct sunlight. I won't do TCA cross again for a while because I'm suctioning now and that would disrupt the healing process of TCA cross. I think the suctioning is actually making my pores and ice pick scars look even worse but I'd take that over rolling scars any day lol. I just really want to improve any tethering I have and then continue with textural issues.

Yea ask me, i hate sunlight and certain lights..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×