Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TristaBass89

Social Media and Trying to Not Care

So I’m 32. I’ve had acne since I was 15.

Anyways....I just want to say that as a 32 year old with some more life experience than I had in my late teens and early twenties.....social media is, in my opinion, making people with less than perfect skin feel down on themselves. We watch these women post with these epically beautiful (and entirely unreal) faces and then compare what we look like to them. I just want to say that this is not their true reality probably 99.9% of the time. Just remember that they don’t look like that, they never could without the help of serious makeup and filters. 

I used to rock full on foundation and powder every single day, couldn’t leave my house without it. Granted my skin looks way better now than it did when I was younger and broke out in severe acne, but makeup is just a band aid. It gives me more confidence to cover my skin, but I’m trying to learn how to love myself without makeup on. I am who I am. I try my hardest to have clear skin and it’s just not clear, so it is what it is. My curse, like yours, is acne. We all, even those without acne, have one or more bodily issues that we try to hide from or hate ourselves for. I struggle most days to look at my skin in the mirror, I won’t lie. But I am trying. I’m saying screw it and just living my life. My husband doesn’t care that I have acne. My kids don’t care. My friends don’t care. My family doesn’t care. If there are people out there that want to judge you for having bad skin, those aren’t the kind of shallow people you want in your life anyways. 

It’s hard to have this mindset because we all want beautiful skin. I have to look at myself in the mirror multiple times and tell myself it doesn’t matter because I’m doing my best. And some days I basically avoid looking in the mirror because I can’t stand the way my skin looks. But I think we all need to try harder. Be more positive. Acne shouldn’t be wanting us to hate living or scared to live. It’s just a struggle and sadly for a lot of us it will be a struggle until the day we die.