Notifications
Clear all

Laser Hair-Removal Risks?

MemberMember
(@sarahkhan-89hotmail-com)

Posted : 03/16/2021 10:20 am

Hello, I'm from South Asia, and I'm trying to get laser for the hair growth on my skin; however, my skin is extremely sensitive--so sensitive that even a slight application of a wrong cream disturbs its natural function.
I've heard all sorts of complaints about laser that it can affect skin collagen and elastin; and I'm very worried about it. The thing is, I've got PCOS and the hair are noticeable on my face. I want some recommendations in this regard from you guys that what sort of settings could be useful for a sensitive skin? Will the low settings prove to be effective for hair removal?
Please, give me some direction! I'd be grateful to you guys as I don't trust the local doctors here.
MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 03/16/2021 12:25 pm

Ask if you can do a test area if you are concerned. I think laser hair removal is pretty safe but I'm a type III.

MemberMember

Posted : 03/16/2021 1:46 pm

1 hour ago, Amanda Hall said:

Ask if you can do a test area if you are concerned. I think laser hair removal is pretty safe but I'm a type III.

Thank you so much for the reply. How do you determine the types? I'd be very grateful if you can give any information on this if you can.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 03/16/2021 2:13 pm

26 minutes ago, Sarah_89 said:

Thank you so much for the reply. How do you determine the types? I'd be very grateful if you can give any information on this if you can.

Fitzpatrick skin phototype | DermNet NZ

Most South Asians are IV or V.

MemberMember

Posted : 03/16/2021 2:20 pm

5 minutes ago, Amanda Hall said:

Fitzpatrick skin phototype | DermNet NZ

Most South Asians are IV or V.

Yes, I'd definitely by type IV because I've got a light olive skin. Is the laser safe for Type IV?

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 03/16/2021 2:22 pm

1 minute ago, Sarah_89 said:

Yes, I'd definitely by type IV because I've got a light olive skin. Is the laser safe for Type IV?

I don't think it's an issue at all. Ask the laser operator or office - those people have done hundreds to thousands of treatments so they would know better. An Alexandrite laser would be safe - I'm sure of this. There are many different lasers though.

Sarah_89 liked
MemberMember

Posted : 03/16/2021 2:26 pm

3 minutes ago, Amanda Hall said:

I don't think it's an issue at all. Ask the laser operator or office - those people have done hundreds to thousands of treatments so they would know better. An Alexandrite laser would be safe - I'm sure of this. There are many different lasers though.

Thank you for your time. I greatly appreciate it.

MemberMember
(@lizzieswellness)

Posted : 05/06/2022 5:08 am

Both studies revealed no long-term side effects or scarring. Laser/light hair removal performed by trained professionals is a safe procedure with a very low risk of permanent side effects. The vast majority of side effects are brief and insignificant. They are more common in people with darker skin.