Notifications
Clear all

Need help with scarring treatments and doctors

MemberMember
(@rpet90)

Posted : 10/30/2020 1:35 am

Hello all, 

I just discovered this forum a couple of day ago and I'm still digging through the posts. 

I wanted to share my current photos and ask for feedback on the best treatment. I'm also  curious about the timeline for the treatments in general. Is it usually a multi year treatment plan or can something be done sooner? 

I did get a consultation with a doctor in Virginia a year back and the doctor suggested Subcision as a starting point for the treatment. I was a bit nervous back then and did not go through with it but I wish I had now that I'm looking back. 

I just moved to Toronto from Virginia. So I don't have a family doctor yet. I'm looking for good doctors in the Toronto and GTA areas so if you recommend someone, I would highly appreciate it. I'm looking at reviews online and some of them scare me so I'm not sure where to start. 

Here are photos of my scars. I have scars on both sides of my face. They are on my temples, cheeks and I also have a very bumpy nose.

IMG_20201030_020342.jpg.f678a379ab61c075fd29643afb257f0a.jpg

IMG_20201030_020351.jpg.2edd7d8d3191df1b0fa84ddf268084b8.jpg

nose_1.png.a8a0809e8923c4dd02a144db7062cab5.png

Thanks for taking the time to read the post. Hope you have a great day! 

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 10/30/2020 2:52 pm

12 hours ago, rpet90 said:

I wanted to share my current photos and ask for feedback on the best treatment. I'm also curious about the timeline for the treatments in general. Is it usually a multi year treatment plan or can something be done sooner?

Most likely 2-3 years, depending on how much treatments you get. However, you do not want to rush treatments. That's because you want to allow enough time for collagen remodeling to take place, which ideally takesapproximately 3 months. So it's important that you schedule your treatments at least 3 months apart. That means no more than 4 treatments per year.

13 hours ago, rpet90 said:

I did get a consultation with a doctor in Virginia a year back and the doctor suggested Subcision as a starting point for the treatment. I was a bit nervous back then and did not go through with it but I wish I had now that I'm looking back.

You have a combination of boxcar and rolling scars, as well as hypertrophic scar on the nose. Some deeper scars, especially the temple, would benefit from subcision, which basically cuts through thefibrosis underneath the skin.TCA cross can also be good to smooth the scar edges, which tend to create shadows and makethe scar stand out more. Finally, once the scar edgesare sufficiently smoothed out, inject dermal fillers to level the pits.

For the nose, steroid injection can be used to flatten the bumps.

MemberMember
(@rpet90)

Posted : 11/04/2020 7:48 pm

Thanks for the reply. That looks like a long road for recovery.

Can the injections be done in parallel along with the other scar treatments? Or is it done one after the other.

For those interested, I contacted Dr. Asif Pirani here in the GTA area. I looked around at laser skin clinics and somehow none of them were confidence inspiring.I thought Dr. Pirani had good reviews as a surgeon and I wanted to go in for a consultation about the subcision.Unfortunately, it looks like he only treats patients that have a OHIP card and I need to wait for a few months to get mine.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 11/05/2020 1:59 pm

18 hours ago, rpet90 said:

Can the injections be done in parallel along with the other scar treatments? Or is it done one after the other.

It would be better to get corticosteroid injection separately. The reason is steroid is known to inhibit growth factors and that will hamper the formation of new collagen.