Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Hello all

I’ve decided to share some photos of my indented forehead scar from an accidental run in with a birdbath around age 4. I’m 21 now, and due to the scar being indented, it affects the way I do makeup, the way I wear my hair, not to mention I’m also on stage often so the lighting gives it away every time. In becoming more disciplined with my facial skin care routine, and coming to realize how much of an annoyance this scar is, even if I had the stitches around age 4, is there any kind of treatment that would help me to diminish the way it looks? Absolutely anything is appreciated. I just want to be able to put my best face forward. Thank you. 

 

767B802E-1420-4646-8D99-7C25FBB81CB0.jpeg.8f53c2f2fa7e738b89a54d5787d497b1.jpeg 

 

93E82181-3611-4EF2-82C0-526D540D749F.jpeg

Edited by mlynnsa
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 1:11 AM, mlynnsa said:

Hello all

I’ve decided to share some photos of my indented forehead scar from an accidental run in with a birdbath around age 4. I’m 21 now, and due to the scar being indented, it affects the way I do makeup, the way I wear my hair, not to mention I’m also on stage often so the lighting gives it away every time. In becoming more disciplined with my facial skin care routine, and coming to realize how much of an annoyance this scar is, even if I had the stitches around age 4, is there any kind of treatment that would help me to diminish the way it looks? Absolutely anything is appreciated. I just want to be able to put my best face forward. Thank you. 

Sorry to hear about your accident! It's an unfortunate part of life but let's look positively towards a solution. :)

My suggestion would be subcision first. This would break apart the scar bands from that divot. Check out videos on YouTube. Here's one but keep in mind that the result is with filler as well:

.Fillers would definitely help but they are costly long-term. I've heard they last between 6 months and 2 years so think about the cost there. Bellafill is a semi-permanent filler but don't just jump into this. A number of doctors vouch for its safety and use them on scars. However, I've heard some doctors say it will migrate. But the long-term cost is better than the other fillers. Some doctors will advise that you try temporary fillers to see if you like the improvement before moving on to permanent fillers.

I don't believe lasers will do much at the beginning stages when your scar is deep. You should consider them when it is more filled in.

Scar revision is also another option. You can actually get a great result but keep in mind that you're trading in a scar for a scar. In almost all cases I've seen, the new scar is much better. There are exceptions though. With your skin type (fair and light) I think the result will be good because you won't have the pigmentation issues after revision. Also, lasers after revision can smooth it out more. 

Please let me know if I can help you out further!

Edited by Amanda Hall
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 1:11 AM, mlynnsa said:

I’ve decided to share some photos of my indented forehead scar from an accidental run in with a birdbath around age 4. I’m 21 now, and due to the scar being indented, it affects the way I do makeup, the way I wear my hair, not to mention I’m also on stage often so the lighting gives it away every time. In becoming more disciplined with my facial skin care routine, and coming to realize how much of an annoyance this scar is, even if I had the stitches around age 4, is there any kind of treatment that would help me to diminish the way it looks? Absolutely anything is appreciated. I just want to be able to put my best face forward. Thank you. 

The problem is that forehead, having the thinnest skin, is resistant to treatment. Subcision rarely ever works. You could go with fillers, but it's a high-risk area that can potentially lead to blindness. My suggestion is TCA, preferably 70% or higher spaced out to every 3 months. You will need at least 3 applications. This will widen the scar as much as possible so that it nearly flattens with the rest of the forehead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2020 at 3:35 PM, Sirius Lee said:

The problem is that forehead, having the thinnest skin, is resistant to treatment. Subcision rarely ever works. You could go with fillers, but it's a high-risk area that can potentially lead to blindness. My suggestion is TCA, preferably 70% or higher spaced out to every 3 months. You will need at least 3 applications. This will widen the scar as much as possible so that it nearly flattens with the rest of the forehead. 

I’m super unfamiliar with any type of treatment,  what would TCA entail and what’s the general cost for that kind of treatment? Especially if I’m doing multiple applications, if it’s something I gotta save up for.  

 

Also, if this treatment widens the scar, does that mean in the end I have a larger area of discoloration on the skin, it’s just more evened out texturally? Thanks for your response I really appreciate it. 

Edited by mlynnsa
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mlynnsa said:

what would TCA entail and what’s the general cost for that kind of treatment? Especially if I’m doing multiple applications, if it’s something I gotta save up for.  

The following videos are for illustration purpose only and the cost is just an estimate. The cost factor heavily depends on the number of scars to be treated. Obviously, more scars you have, more expensive it will be. Also if you receive treatment in California or New York, you'll be paying way more than anywhere else. 

image.png.7eff7b69de78b3fb74c46d0d30766456.png

 

 

10 hours ago, mlynnsa said:

Also, if this treatment widens the scar, does that mean in the end I have a larger area of discoloration on the skin, it’s just more evened out texturally? Thanks for your response I really appreciate it. 

Not all scars will widen. But they become flatter over time. Discoloration is pretty temporary so no need to worry too much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Candy Says said:

@Sirius Lee why would you treat this scar with TCA? 

I know, it sounds counterintuitive. TCA Cross should only be used for deep icepick scars, right? But in comparison to other treatments like Subcision, laser, and RF microneedling, which I consider as failures when it comes to the forehead (just read all the testimonials from the previous posters), TCA is far superior. In fact, I know it works because I can see it with my own eyes. A lot of my own forehead scars, some of which are wide boxcars, have gotten better over the last 2 years. Furthermore, why waste a ton of money (seriously, Infini costs $1000 per treatment) for useless treatments? TCA costs a fraction and it won't drain your emotional and financial resources even if the final result if merely negligible. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:

I know, it sounds counterintuitive. TCA Cross should only be used for deep icepick scars, right? But in comparison to other treatments like Subcision, laser, and RF microneedling, which I consider as failures when it comes to the forehead (just read all the testimonials from the previous posters), TCA is far superior. In fact, I know it works because I can see it with my own eyes. A lot of my own forehead scars, some of which are wide boxcars, have gotten better over the last 2 years. Furthermore, why waste a ton of money (seriously, Infini costs $1000 per treatment) for useless treatments? TCA costs a fraction and it won't drain your emotional and financial resources even if the final result if merely negligible. 

 

Thanks for the info on subcision on the forehead. I guess I see it now - all of the subcision videos done are mostly on the cheeks. Dr. Rullan did it on my temple and there were no issues.

I've done Infini and I wouldn't recommend it for that scar. Infini (two treatments) didn't really do anything for my cheeks, by the way.

I will defer to the more experienced people like Sirius Lee for this scar. However, when your scar is flatter and more raised, I suggest a laser treatment to smooth it out. I had a shallow round-like boxcar that was noticeable at certain angles that was improved by fractional CO2. After one treatment, I feel like I don't need another. But you need to get to this point first with other methods.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2020 at 3:41 PM, Sirius Lee said:

I know, it sounds counterintuitive. TCA Cross should only be used for deep icepick scars, right? But in comparison to other treatments like Subcision, laser, and RF microneedling, which I consider as failures when it comes to the forehead (just read all the testimonials from the previous posters), TCA is far superior. In fact, I know it works because I can see it with my own eyes. A lot of my own forehead scars, some of which are wide boxcars, have gotten better over the last 2 years. Furthermore, why waste a ton of money (seriously, Infini costs $1000 per treatment) for useless treatments? TCA costs a fraction and it won't drain your emotional and financial resources even if the final result if merely negligible. 

 

I know the forehead is a very tricky and also dangerous place to treat. Any thoughts or possibilities on the use of LED red light therapy to regenerate cells and boost collagen production on a scar like mine? 

Edited by mlynnsa
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mlynnsa said:

I know the forehead is a very tricky and also dangerous place to treat. Any thoughts or possibilities on the use of LED red light therapy to regenerate cells and boost collagen production on a scar like mine? 

Unfortunately not. It might work for wrinkles but not scars. 

If you're wary of any invasive treatments, I suggest you get a dermal filler. In fact, unlike acne scars, your scar is a good candidate for filler. Start with hyaluronic filler like Juvederm, which will last around 6-9 months. If you like the result, move to a permanent filler like Bellafill, which will help stimulate your own collagen. Anyway, give it a shot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mlynnsa said:

I know the forehead is a very tricky and also dangerous place to treat. Any thoughts or possibilities on the use of LED red light therapy to regenerate cells and boost collagen production on a scar like mine? 

I doubt that will do anything. Your scar is moderately deep so you need strong treatments. Nothing that is non-ablative will noticeably improve your scar so don't waste money there.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×