Notifications
Clear all

Do I need to follow a specific diet after accutane?

MemberMember
(@katyg888)

Posted : 05/06/2020 11:21 am

Hi,

I have struggled with moderate acne since I was about 11/12 which has got severe in the past year (I'm 21). I am currently on isotretinoin (40mg per day) and am eating the foods I have always eaten (Wholemeal bread with butter, crisps, fresh vegetables, fish, hot chocolate which is my favourite drink, and a treat at the end of every day like ice cream or chocolate).

Should I clean up my diet if I want to see the effects of isotretinoin last when I am taken off it in just over a month? I am worried if I continue to consume so much sugar, particularly in my drinks, I could develop acne again.

Does eating clean really help improve acne? I have seen several people who have been on accutane and continue as normal after their treatment with their diet and lifestyle and not relapse.

I also have had a previous eating disorder and am scared if I start cutting out food groups such as sugar, it may restart my binge/purge cycle.

Thank you very much.

MemberMember
(@gutskinaxis)

Posted : 05/12/2020 12:45 pm

Yes eating "clean" helps acne

But many "healthy" foods also can cause breakouts in people due to specific intolerances

MemberMember
(@lizzieswellness)

Posted : 05/07/2022 5:09 am

Yes.The "with food" is significant because this medication is better absorbed by the body when consumed with food. It is best absorbed with the consumption of fatty foods. I advise patients to take their pill twice a day with some type of fatnuts, cheese, avocado, meats, or fatty fish like tuna or salmon.