Notifications
Clear all

My little daughter with Infantile Acne Scars

MemberMember
(@lionel-brugeaud)

Posted : 04/06/2020 3:03 am

My daughter has been through infantile acne when she was very young. We waited way too long to have her treated and my regret is extreme. 

Now her acne seems to be under control, but she is left with acne scars (at the age of 18 months, how great is that...). The pictures might look not too bad, but it's because it is difficult to take the best angle with her moving a lot. So I can only take pictures when she is asleep. To me, her scars look awful and it's the biggest torture of my life yet.

Here my questions:

- what is the type of her scars? ice pick, box scar? The pictures might not help a lot, but to me, most of her scars are pitting holes resembling ice pick scars (the most difficult to treat).

- all the professionals I met advise to do nothing. Can her scar improve as she is growing up, or it just means that she will have all of them, and nothing should be done right now since she is a kid. 

- Since she is still growing up, wouldn't it make sense to get her scars treated now to see a bigger improvement in the future? 

- which god should I pray to so I can stop thinking about her skin all day?

Thanks a lot

WechatIMG1.jpeg

WechatIMG2.jpeg

WechatIMG3.jpeg

WechatIMG4.jpeg

WechatIMG5.jpeg

WechatIMG6.jpeg

WechatIMG7.jpeg

WechatIMG8.jpeg

WechatIMG9.jpeg

WechatIMG10.jpeg

WechatIMG11.jpeg

WechatIMG12.jpeg

WechatIMG13.jpeg

MemberMember
(@ferraritradersgmail-com)

Posted : 04/06/2020 10:55 am

These are icepick scars. These can be treated with TCA cross or Phenol Cross. I have not done any of these procedures myself, but these procedures have risks even for adults based on my search. TCA cross can sometimes widen the ice pick scars and may be a tradeoff obtainingashallower scar.

For now in my opinion, I would focus on prevention of future infantile acne in order to prevent possible future scars. And to be prepared for giving her good care for treatments for possible teenage acne as she gets older. TCA cross would be too aggressive for an infant... it will burn the skin causing scabs in order to remodel the skin. There's not much that can be done currently with icepick scars that are non-abrasive procedures.

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 04/06/2020 11:34 am

Gosh she is so adorable.

If she were my daughter, I would do nothing right now. Scars can fade with time, and hers are really not too bad. Iknow you say they look worse in person but they are shallow.

Sometimes it's hard to tell precisely what type of scarring it is. These look in between ice pick and boxcar. They are too shallow for usual icepick scars and too narrow for boxcar.

Btw, you are a great dad for caring so much. That is awesome.

One last note is that when kids get baby acne they are more susceptible to teen acne, so make sure to stay on top of that when the time comes.

Kay24 liked
MemberMember
(@hlp334)

Posted : 04/06/2020 1:01 pm

They could go away on their own! If not, save up so she can get treatment if she wants to when shes older as it can be costly. I cant imagine any doctor would do a scar treatment on anyone under 14 and theres risk with treatment (could make it worse) so she should definitely consent to that.Like another commentersaid, just make sure youre putting the effort right now to handle the infantil acne and future acne when she gets older to prevent any morescarring.

Kay24 liked
MemberMember
(@lionel-brugeaud)

Posted : 04/06/2020 7:31 pm

Thanks a lot, I wouldnever have thought I would get answers this fast.

I will sure be ready for when adolescent acne comes around.

But right now, I just feel devastated. If I had given her Differin (Adapalene 0.1%) treatment much earlier, she wouldn't have that many scars. If any parent is in the same situation and gets to read this, you have to go a dermatologist and get the acne under control as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot to the community online here.

hlp334 liked
MemberMember
(@noa27)

Posted : 04/08/2020 9:41 am

Your feelings of guilt makes this much more worse than it really is. I can tell, because I scratched my daughter in her face (accidentally of course) and it scarred. Boy I felt so bad about it. Now 2,5 years later you can still see it, but it faded a lot. Of course it is not the same scar your daughter have, but give it time to heal. This is not a quick fix, this take probably years.

And listen to the doctors, don't do any treatments on her skin. She is really too young.

MemberMember
(@bioneedle)

Posted : 04/13/2020 1:47 am

It looks like she has some comedones in some places which should be monitored and consider using a mild chemical exfoliant like BHA (patch test first). Potentially extraction so you don't have to worry about them becoming bigger. Other than that she's fine. There isn't really any acne scarring to notice

Baby skin also heals so much better than adult skin, so I would expect her skin to be completely clear as long as those comedones don't become an issue.

MemberMember
(@lionel-brugeaud)

Posted : 04/16/2020 1:32 am

Thank you for your reply everyone. I wished I had found this website earlier.

For the comedones on her cheeks, those were from pictures taken before we used Differin treatment. After 2 months, the comedones were all gone, and the result can be seen in the 2 more "whitish" pictures.

So, right now, she is acne free, and she has many many small holes on her cheeks, and a few bigger ones, also on her cheeks.

As you all advised, I will wait and see.

MemberMember
(@lajshakshs)

Posted : 02/13/2024 10:38 pm

Hi I was wondering if you had any update on your daughters scars? Have they faded with time?

MemberMember
(@salientdouble)

Posted : 02/15/2024 5:04 pm

Please dont get advise from the Internet! Go to a doctor!

MemberMember
(@lionel-brugeaud)

Posted : 02/29/2024 8:45 am

@lajshakshs

The scars never faded. They are becoming more pronounced and visible as my daughter is aging.

It's hard. 5 years have passed and it's the main thing I regret.