Notifications
Clear all

Microneedling on Damaged, Brown Skin

MemberMember
(@firefish)

Posted : 11/13/2019 6:24 am

Hello,

I am thinking of getting microneedling or RF microneedling for acne scars. However, I feel my skin barrier is not functioning well for years. This might be result of Accutane use (10 years ago) combined with using later on Retin-A. This combination damaged the skin barrier and gave me flake/shiny for the last 2-3 years which is slowly getting better.

I also have brown middle eastern skin, which I am afraid to get hyperpigmentation.

The doctor suggested to get microneedling (instead of RF) because there is less chance of hyperpigmentation. What do you think? Also do you think the treatment is too risky for me?

Thank you

MemberMember
(@skinnystrong)

Posted : 12/31/2019 7:01 pm

Microneedling of any sort, rf or not, should not have a risk of hyperpigmentation. If you wanna try but still fear hyperpigmentation or any other risks, request for a spot treatment (small area) and monitor.

MemberMember
(@joeysk)

Posted : 01/01/2020 5:31 pm

RF was made for ethnic skin types. The only reason why you would have hyperpigmentation is a bad operator. Consult a few providers before selecting the best one. Ask them the hard questions and expect them to be educated. RF provides way better scar treatment than microneedling. Retin A should help you recover from hyperpigmentation not hurt it. RF give you gridmarks if the operator uses too high energy at too low of a depth.

Here are some questions you can ask:

1. What kind of setting(depth/duration/power) will you be using and how many passes?

2. Have you seen permanent grid marks on ethnic patients?

3. Any before and after photos?