Notifications
Clear all

Is this fungal acne?

MemberMember
(@jo1n)

Posted : 07/16/2019 7:26 pm

I was wondering if this could be fungal acne? I generally get acne around my chin area only. They are usually whiteheads and sometime cystic acne once in a long while. I tried cutting out dairy and high glycemic food out, but no success. I'm experimenting with shaving as well as I believe that could possibly be it?  Maybe shaving too close and irritating the skin. I've been applying lotrimin ultra and nizoral on my chin area  for a week and haven't really seen vast improvements. I visited the dermatologist recently, but am.skeptical of their analysis as I felt like I was rushed and prescribed clindamycin, bactrim and tretinoin. The only thing I have ever been on was accutane like 10 years ago for like two months. I stopped because the side effects were too harsh. I also have seborrheic dermatitis on scalp. My chin area is not itchy. Please let me know if this is just regular acne and I should try out the antibiotic and topical medicine I was prescribed. 

20190716_191036.jpg

20190716_191023.jpg

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/16/2019 7:53 pm

JOIN

This could well be fungal acne. It looks like fungal acne (not that one can always go on appearance with fungal acne, but the "sticking up" follicles are a sign of fungal acne). Seb derm indicates fungal acne. I would certainly try antifungal treatments BEFORE trying any antibiotics etc.

I suggest you apply terbenafine cream (Lamisil or similar) and keep your skin very dry - do not apply moisturisers. Fungus loves moisture, and malasezzia fungus (which causes seb derm) feeds on organic oils in moisturisers.

Lotrimin Ultra (butenafine) will sometimes control malasezzia fungus, but not aways. Lamisil is better (terbenafine).

Malasezzia isoften resisamt to ketoconazole (in Nizoral). Shampoos with climbazole (not be to be confused with clotrimazole) are better for controling malasezzia than ketoconazole.

See if you can get a shampoo with CLIMBAZOLE in it. Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns is a good one, if you can get it. You can leave this shampoo on your skin/scalp overnight if you wish - it is very gentle. If you are in the US, you can buy climbazole powder quite cheaply and make you own antifungal shampoo.

Also, wipe off sweat from the area/s with "acne".

Azaleic acid is good at controlling fungal acne also and you can apply ti together with the terbenafine cream (Lamisil or similar).

I am happy to hear back from you.

Standard statement - I have spent over 2,500 hours reading scientific papers about fungal acne and gram negative acne, and I have extensive experience with fungal acne, in particular. I am a scientist (not a medical doctor). I provide information based on my extensive experience with fungal acne, and some experience with gram negative acne.

MemberMember
(@jo1n)

Posted : 07/16/2019 8:08 pm

14 minutes ago, Aussie Scientist said:

JOIN

This could well be fungal acne. It lookslike fungal acne (not that one can always go on appearance with fungal acne, but the "sticking up" follicles are a sign of fungal acne). Seb derm indicates fungal acne. I would certainly try antifungal treatments BEFORE trying any antibiotics etc.

I suggest you apply terbenafine cream (Lamisil or similar) and keep your skin very dry - do not apply moisturisers. Fungus loves moisture, and malasezzia fungus (which causes seb derm) feeds on organic oils in moisturisers.

Lotrimin Ultra (butenafine) will sometimes control malasezzia fungus, but not aways. Lamisil is better (terbenafine).

Malasezzia isoften resisamt to ketoconazole (in Nizoral). Shampoos with climbazole (not be to be confused with clotrimazole) are better for controling malasezzia than ketoconazole.

See if you can get a shampoo with CLIMBAZOLE in it. Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns is a good one, if you can get it. You can leave this shampoo on your skin/scalp overnight if you wish - it is very gentle. If you are in the US, you can buy climbazole powder quite cheaply and make you own antifungal shampoo.

Also, wipe off sweat from the area/s with "acne".

Azaleic acid is good at controlling fungal acne also and you can apply ti together with the terbenafine cream (Lamisil or similar).

I am happy to hear back from you.

Standard statement - I have spent over 2,500 hours reading scientific papers about fungal acne and gram negative acne, and I have extensive experience with fungal acne, in particular. I am a scientist (not a medical doctor). I provide information based on my extensive experience with fungal acne, and some experience with gram negative acne.

Thanks for your feedback. I will try those products out and report back if I find success.

MemberMember
(@leetuffy1gmail-com)

Posted : 11/07/2022 5:58 pm

Hi, I have that exact type acne on my chin also. Did u ever get rid of it/what worked. I've had it for years. 

On 7/17/2019 at 1:26 AM, JO1N said:

I was wondering if this could be fungal acne? I generally get acne around my chin area only. They are usually whiteheads and sometime cystic acne once in a long while. I tried cutting out dairy and high glycemic food out, but no success. I'm experimenting with shaving as well as I believe that could possibly be it?  Maybe shaving too close and irritating the skin. I've been applying lotrimin ultra and nizoral on my chin area  for a week and haven't really seen vast improvements. I visited the dermatologist recently, but am.skeptical of their analysis as I felt like I was rushed and prescribed clindamycin, bactrim and tretinoin. The only thing I have ever been on was accutane like 10 years ago for like two months. I stopped because the side effects were too harsh. I also have seborrheic dermatitis on scalp. My chin area is not itchy. Please let me know if this is just regular acne and I should try out the antibiotic and topical medicine I was prescribed. 

20190716_191036.jpg

20190716_191023.jpg

Hi, I have this exact acne on my chin for years. Did u ever get it off/what worked? Please. Thanks