Notifications
Clear all

Everlasting acne despite 3 accutane cycles [Pics]

MemberMember
(@souvlaki)

Posted : 06/17/2019 4:30 pm

Hi everyone

I've been struggling with acne since I was 14, i'm now 22, male.

Despite having tested lots of different products, been on accutane for nearly 2 years, eating clean (mostly vegetables, fruits and meat/fish) and having a great hygiene, being active and practicing sports, it's still here.

These pics were taken in 2016, before i started my first accutane cycle. During the treatment, all the pimples disappeared, it worked pretty well, but I soon as i stopped it the acne came back. Now it's not that bad anymore, i have nearly half less pimples, but i have to spend ~20 minutes in the bathroom every morning to burst the big ones (or they will do it by themselves during the day and leave my face bloody, when i yawn or blow my nose for example) and wash my face. As you can see it only consists in white pimples, they appear and grow out so quickly, around a dozen new pimples a day.

I'm looking for new ideas to try to defeat this. Thanks.

spacer.pngspacer.png

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/17/2019 7:39 pm

Souvlaki

Polymixin cream/ointment should fix your problem. You can use either neosporin or polysporin but MAKE SURE the cream has polymixin in it. That is critical, as polymixin kills gram negative bacteria which I think are causing your problem, from the photos and the other information that you provided.

I think you have gram negative "acne" - sometimes called gram negative folliculitis. Gram negative follicultis is CAUSED by taking the cycline antibiotics and some other antibiotics (which kill gram positive bacteria and allow gram negative bacteria to proliferate).

The term "folliculitis" does not mean anything on its own, other than the hair follicles are infected. LOTS of things cause follicultis- several different types of bacteria, several different types of fungus, some chemicals etc. The important thing is to know what is CAUSING the follicultis

I doubt that you have staph acne because staph infections are really dangerous and you would have developed other, very serious symptoms if you had a staph infection. Indicators of staph infections are - the area is hot, and the infected area exudes a yellow ooze which forms a toffee like crust. Do you have these symptoms ?

Staph infections are really dangerous as you probably know.

I would apply topical antifungal cream together with the polysporin as you may well have fungal acne combined with gram negative bacterial acne. Often, the two occur together. Fungal acne is caused by taking virtually any antibiotics, and some other meds, possibly including accutane (which can appear to control fungal acne for a short time)

If you get back to me with answers to the questions below, I can provide more targeted information to control your "acne" ..

Have you taken antibiotics or other meds. If you have taken antibiotics, which ones ?

Do you have one or more of the following (as well as the acne) - white coating on your tongue, dandruff, flaking skin, toenail fungus, itchy and/or painful skin, red rash/es, unexplained tiredness, headaches, "brain fog", stomach or gut problems, sinus problems.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

MemberMember
(@souvlaki)

Posted : 06/18/2019 4:02 am

7 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Souvlaki

Polymixin cream/ointment should fix your problem. You can use either neosporin or polysporin but MAKE SURE the cream has polymixin in it. That is critical, as polymixin kills gram negative bacteria which I think are causing your problem, from the photos and the other information that you provided.

I think you have gram negative "acne" - sometimes called gram negative folliculitis. Gram negative follicultis is CAUSED by taking the cycline antibiotics and some other antibiotics (which kill gram positive bacteria and allow gram negative bacteria to proliferate).

The term "folliculitis" does not mean anything on its own, other than the hair follicles are infected. LOTS of things cause follicultis- several different types of bacteria, several different types of fungus, some chemicals etc. The important thing is to know what is CAUSING the follicultis

I doubt that you have staph acne because staph infections are really dangerous and you would have developed other, very serious symptoms if you had a staph infection. Indicators of staph infections are - the area is hot, and the infected area exudes a yellow ooze which forms a toffee like crust. Do you have these symptoms ?

Staph infections are really dangerous as you probably know.

I would apply topical antifungal cream together with the polysporin as you may well have fungal acne combined with gram negative bacterial acne. Often, the two occur together. Fungal acne is caused by taking virtually any antibiotics, and some other meds, possibly including accutane (which can appear to control fungal acne for a short time)

If you get back to me with answers to the questions below, I can provide more targeted information to control your "acne" ..

Have you taken antibiotics or other meds. If you have taken antibiotics, which ones ?

Do you have one or more of the following (as well as the acne) - white coating on your tongue, dandruff, flaking skin, toenail fungus, itchy and/or painful skin, red rash/es, unexplained tiredness, headaches, "brain fog", stomach or gut problems, sinus problems.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you, I will order the ointment, will this one do alright? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Perrigo-Triple-Antibiotic-Ointment-0-5-oz-First-Aid-Antibiotic/292495606302?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D58646%26meid%3D8bd08dd1afc4441095b0224d3355e669%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D382503260193%26itm%3D292495606302&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

None of the dermatologists i have seen in France ever adviced me to try this ointment, so I am not familiar with this kind of product. Should I put it in my nostrils and ears to kill the bacteria from its source, or just apply it on my face?

Well I don't seem to have any staph infection indicators you mention, except for the white/yellowish ooze that flow when I pop a pimple.

I don't take any meds/antibiotic, and I haven't taken any since June 2018, when i finished my last accutane cycle.

"Do you have one or more of the following (as well as the acne) - white coating on your tongue, dandruff, flaking skin, toenail fungus, itchy and/or painful skin, red rash/es, unexplained tiredness, headaches, "brain fog", stomach or gut problems, sinus problems."

I often have dandruff, my tongue is slightly white, and concerning the sinus problems I frequently have colds even when the weather is hot, so I don't know if it counts. And yes it's true that i often feel tired and lethargic for no reason, with a lack of sex drive sometimes.

I have no other symptoms you mentioned.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/18/2019 7:10 pm

Thanks Souvlaki

Your symptoms STRONGLY indicate that you have fungal acne together with gram negative bacterial acne. Both these types of acne are caused by past or present taking of antibiotics, and fungal acne is also possibly caused by taking accutane.

Dermatologists now nothing about fungal acne and they know nothing about gram negative bacterial acne.T hey keep treating people with prescriptions for things that treat ordinary acne, and (not surprisingly) people's fungal and gram negative "acne" get worse and worse.

Fungal acne is caused by candida and/or malasezzia fungus which proliferate when people kill their "good" bacteria by taking antibiotics (and possibly by taking accutane). Gram negative bacterial acne is caused by a certain type of bacteria which proliferate when other types of bacteria are killed by taking or applying "cycline" antibiotics and some other antibiotics.

Dandruff is caused by malasezzia fungus; and a white tongue, sinus problems, lethargy and tiredness are caused by candida fungus.

Thus, you will need to apply antifungal cream AND the Perrigo ointment (that is the correct ointment) to get rid of your acne.

Do the following to get rid of your acne. Buy some clotrimazole antifungal cream (no prescription needed), and apply it to the areas with acne 2-3 times a day. Also, apply the Perrigo polymixin cream to the areas with acne once or twice a day (can be at the same time as applying the clotrimazole cream). Topical creams and ointments are safe and will not harm your skin.

You can put some clotrimazole cream in your ears and nose with a cotton/bud/q tip but don't push it it in too far.

Clotrimazole cream is antifungal, but it has some activity against staph also. Virtually everyone has staph in their nose, so never touch your nose and then touch the areas with acne without twice washing your hands.

I would not put the Perrigo cream in your ears or nose for the present. I can explain why I say this, if you wish.

If the clotrimazole cream and the Perrigo cream do not clear your acne, I can provide information about more targeted antifungal creams to use. Clotrimazole is a broad spectrum antifungal cream and it is best to start with it, before trying the more targeted antifungal creams.

Also, wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo. You should be able to buy Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns in France. This is an excellent antidandruff/antifungal shampoo. Use that to wash your hair, and you can wash your face in the Mustela Foam Shampoo also, as it is very gentle. You can leave it on your skin, if you wish to.

To get rid of your tiredness and lethargy (which are likely caused by candida in your gut producing aldehydes, which are the same compounds as cause hangovers) take oral Nilstat. Oral Nilstat is very safe. There are some alternatives to oral Nilstat if you cannot get it, but oral Nilstat is the best for controlling gut candida, which will stop your unexplained tiredness in a few days.

I can advise you about alternatives to oral Nilstat if you cannot get it.

You should start to see the benefits of applying the topical clotrimazole cream plus the Perrigo ointment in clearing your "acne" in a week to 10 days.

I look forward to hearing how things go.

Souvlaki

Also, keep your skin dry. Do not apply any moisturisers or organic oils to the areas with acne. Fungus loves moisture and malasezzia fungus feeds on organic oils.

MemberMember
(@souvlaki)

Posted : 06/19/2019 6:02 am

Alright, this is all the information I needed, thank you very muchagain. I will buy these creams and come back in a few weeks to tell how things evolve.

However i didn't find Nilstat drops available in France, and it seems that if I want to buy it online on an english website, i'll need a prescription. So yeah i'd be glad to have an alternative.

Cheers

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/19/2019 9:01 pm

Souvlaki

See if you can get Dequaden lozenges (sold to treat mouth ulcers). Dequaden lozenges contain an antifungal ingredient - they are not as effective as Nilstat but they might help control your gut candida and therefore your tiredness. See how you go with the Dequaden lozenges. If they don't help your tiredness, get back to me and I'll provide information about other options to control gut candida.

I look forward to hearing how the skin "treatments" go.

MemberMember
(@souvlaki)

Posted : 10/20/2019 3:21 pm

Hey!

Just wanted to let you know that none of the treatments you recommended me worked... Still have dozens of whiteheads (pustules) every day, and greasy skin. I even tried some candida cleanse caps and probiotics, just "in case", but i've seen zero improvement. And i've kept using all of the products for 2-3 months.

I'm quite desperate now, I might consider visiting a new dermatologist soon.

Thanks for you help though, at least I can say i've tried everything.

MemberMember
(@bryan-trejos)

Posted : 11/11/2019 3:01 pm

Hola, no se si te pueda ayudar pero te contare mi experiencia y como hasta el momento he eliminado mi acne, hablo espanol asi que tendras que traducir :u, mira no se en que base te hablo la persona de arriba, pero te recomendo antibioticos y los antibioticos no se puede usar en tiempos prolongados ya que causan resistencia bacteriana, he vivido tres anos con acne, y en base a fallo y error me he logrado de curar de mis brotes, actualmente uso cosas muy basicas, de limpiador un gel de ducha de dove dos veces al dia me hago doble limpieza con este limpiador, luego de eso y es el secreto para mi, uso acido azelaico al 15% el cual me ha ayudado mucho, es un acido que combate las bacterias del acne y es antiinflamatorio, puedes mirar los beneficios en internet, y por ultimo uso un bloqueador solar, anteriormente usaba anthelios xl de la Roche Posay pero no me gustaba la textura ademas de que era muy caro, y me cambie a un bloqueador solar facial Nivea, quizas puede que el acido azelaico te ayude, deberias probar, solo el problema que creo que vas a tener creo, es que solo se vende con receta medica... pero el mismo no hace dano, eso si lo debes utilizar dos veces al dia y solo 0.5 gramos para toda la cara es mas que suficiente, el acido azelaico tambien lo vende la marca "the ordinary" deberias de probarlo, quizas te ayude, no te aseguro nada, y otra cosa te recomendaria que no te hidrates tu cara, quizas no sea en todo pero yo por ejemplo si me pongo un hidratante, la marca que sea me salen portuberancia como las tuyas, cambio de funda de almohada cada 3 dias y lavo la toalla de la cara cada 3 dias, quizas puede que mi rutina te ayude.

Y otra cosa, siempre usa bloqueador solar, el sol causa envejecimiento, hiperpigmentacion y hace que tu piel se irrite.

Espero que te ayude el acido azelaico, hasta luego.

MemberMember
(@coolcrack)

Posted : 12/14/2019 3:43 am

Hello. I had suffered from Acne all my life, and im 29, and now even though my skin is not perfect, im over it. Follow these below points and you'll be fine :

1. The main cause of acne and related issues are due to Stress, Junk foods, poor lifestyle.

2. Before starting any treatments for acne, remove all negative thoughts, believe you can heal it.

3. Maintain a good diet, remove all junk foods, soft drinks, have lots of water, fruits, vegetables. Always try to have freshly cooked food. Excercise, sweat, everyday.

3. Read good self help books, listen to people who are successfull - through youtube - learn about their struggles in life. Keep away from people who put you down in life.

4. If you do all these things, half the battle is won with Acne. I have done it.

5. Now, find the best dermatologist near you, talk to him, discuss your problem, and just follow his advice.

6. Keep your hands always clean with a good handwash, its very important, keep a good face wash and a kerchiefwith you always, and keep your face neat and clean.

7. Practice meditation, keep trying, always believe u will succeed, dont listen to people who tell you - you cant do anything. Coz they are the losers.. Not you!

If you need any help, contact me.. I have used almost all medications, treatments and everything... I know this..

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/24/2019 12:08 pm

Any updates? It definitely does not look like normal acne so it might be worth going back to the derm to see if it is indeed something fungal. I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I am also a multiple time user of accutance and behold, still have acne at 36. I agree with the poster that mentioned lifestyle. It is often times discounted but it is worth exploring, especially stress since you eat well. Don't give up.

MemberMember
(@sibel)

Posted : 01/03/2020 8:17 pm

Hi, I am not having the same acne picture but my acne came back after 5 corses of Roa and 6 years of remission((( It started gradually worsen about a year ago and about that time I saw Aussies post and wrote to him on pmsg. He advised exactly the same to me what he offered to you..that it is Candida.. I learned a lot about Candida,certainly I tried clotrimazol for quite a long time... also been using these Dequaden Lozenges...because I had severe artists stomatitis as well..nothing has worked...when I wroteabout it to Aussie he just dissapeared... so it is not only you...

Cool rack I see your posts in many threads. Your advices are good for a teenagerswho got a light acne and has no idea what to do. Not for long lifetime acne sufferers after roaccutane courses and hard treatments. The main cause of acne IS UNKNOWN! Read some serous articles on PubMed at least. And stop posting this bspostsreally it is a wrong place for this.