Notifications
Clear all

35 - A range of medications tried - So what next?

MemberMember
(@ben-joseph)

Posted : 05/31/2019 2:17 pm

Hi all

Firstly, can I introduce myself.I'mBen 35 and I have suffered from Cystic Acne since early teenagehood. I have been on this website for years, but have never really have the courage to post on here. I have spent a lifetime like many of you on here going through the motions of trying an entire truckload of medications to help, relive some stress, pain and overall try to make my skin look more like a human. I suffer from cystic Acne (Acne Vulgaris) on my face, back, neck and shoulders. I recently went to have a catch up with my GP, where we looked over all my medication history. It was a long appointment. I noticed that since I was 16, I havebeen on all the "cyclines" Oxy, Tetra, Lima, etc. I have tried all topics antibiotics, Zynert, Duac, Benzoyl P, Zinc, etc.

So my conversation ended up with what next?

So a few home truths first. Yes my teenage years were horrific for my face, and my adult face would surely look a lot better than the face from my past, but at the age of 35 im still suffering as I have always done so. I am at that point now, where I have many scars on my face from the past, continually wake up each day with new eruptions on my face, some poppable(some just angry lumps) with nothing to show for theirtime on my face. My skin is super Oily, and I am wiping my face hourly as my face builds up so much Oil in a day.

As a male, I try to do everything I can to conceal these breakouts, from trying to grow a beard (not working out the best so far) through to using concealer where needed (SHOCK!!!!!) - Males resorting to make up.......So the question is, where do I turn to next. I have tried diet changes, increasing water intake, reducing dairy, reducing stress etc. I have bought so many over the counter face washes and spot treatments, I could open up my own pharmacy. Acne runs in my family, dad has it, brother and sister have it, so I'm pretty certain by now that a small bottle of salicylicacid is going to cure me.

You know whats coming......My GP has now referred me to a Derm where the possibility of going on Accutane is now being discussed. I am however waiting a lifetime to even get my foot into a waiting room for a derm appointment on the NHS. I am well aware of the side effects of Accutane, and I have spent many sleepless nights reading both the pros and cons of the drug. I also know that it may work for me or it may not. This is certainly a last resort. So in a way im after some advice from perhaps like-minded people (males in particular) who may be in the same boat as I am. What have you done at this juncture in your acne journey? Any small changes, medication trials which may have helped you in your battle for clear skin?

As mentioned before, I know that acne runs in my family, so I'm under no illusion that I can cure it, but I am really reaching out for some support and advice at this stage in my medication journey.

If I look back and ask the question when was my skin the best. This was certainly when I started using the topical lotion (DUAC - Clindamycin and BP). Putting this topical lotion on for the first time was like a miracle cream. It made my skin feel so amazing. All my oiliness went, I only got small breakouts and I felt my confidence grow and grow. The after about 3 months, one morning it just stopped working. I was like, what the hell? Since then, I continue to apply it, but to be honest, it has no effect at all. Did I really become resistant t this cream that quickly?

Thank you all for reading this. I would really love to hear any ideas you have on how my journey could be improved.

Thanks

Ben

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/31/2019 11:01 pm

You probably have fungal acne from taking and using antibiotics. Antibiotics CAUSE fungal acne and they just make it worse and worse if you keep using them. Fungal acne is cystic.

Do you have dandruff ? Do you have a white tongue ?

If you get back to me with answers to these questions I can let you know what topical antifungal cream to use to (most likely) fix your acne problem. You can start with applying topical clotrimazole antifungal cream (no prescription required). And keep your skin very dry - do NOT apply organic oils or moisturisers to it. Fungus LOVES moisture and one type of fungus that causes fungal acne feeds on organic oils.

Antibiotics are VERY DANGEROUS, as IS ACCUTANE. Antbiotics kill good gut bacteria which seriously reduces the ability of one's immune system to fight fungus and other pathogens. The cycline antibiotics also cause a very nasty type of acne called gram negative acne.

But, I suspect that you have fungal acne, rather than gram negative acne. I will know more when you get back to me.

Salicylic acid will NOT cure fungal acne. Salicylic acid destroys the skin barrier and will make fungal acne worse if applied all over your skin. SA can be used for spot treatment but it is not very useful for fungal acne. Tea tree oil (which does NOT feed fungus) is better for spot treatment of fungal acne.

The medical profession is in denial about fungal acne and they will keep prescribing antibiotics which makes people's fungal acne worse and worse and worse, as you have found.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

MemberMember
(@weronika717)

Posted : 06/02/2019 11:50 am

Hi Ben,

I'm not a male , but I do struggle with my acne. It started off in my teenage years and it was not severe but my face was never perfect. It got worse and spread to my back after I had my daughter. I went to my GP and he prescribed me antibiotic and two topical creams ., which did clear up my face. After a year I stopped taking it and my acne came back with vengeance. At this stage I knew if I saw a dermatologist they would put me on Roaccutane. I was right , but at that moment I still wasn't ready to go on and the derm advised I should try a different antibiotic, my back cleared up but my face didn't. I went to see a differnt derm in my home country ,for a second opinion (in my gut I knew she would say Roaccutane aswell, but I said I'd try and let tane be my last resort)once again my gut feeling was right. Looking at myself in the mirror I knew I had to do something as I didn't want any scars, bearing in mind I was terrified of this drug.

I'm curently one month and one week into this treatment on 40mg dose and so far I had a huge initial breakout which was very shitty and my confidence hit its lowest point, but I'm really hoping it will clear soon, I am still so scared of the possible side effects. I just couldn't take looking at myself in the mirror anymore.

Before Roaccutane , I have tried many natural remedies and changed my diet and none of these helped with my acne , it was just a waste of time. The only thing I do regret is not starting Roaccutane straight away as I would have been over and done with. My derm reckons I have about 7 months left of this treatment and there is always a chance that the acne might come back.

I know of alot of people who suffer with acne but choose not to take Roaccutane and learned to feel comfortable with their skin, the decision is yours to make as it all depends on how you feel about taking it or not taking it and learning to live and accept your skin condition. I feel like this page is great support as at the end of the day we are all on the same boat and we all should be here to help each other.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make.