Notifications
Clear all

Coffee & Adult Acne

MemberMember
(@r374rd)

Posted : 04/25/2019 7:00 pm

Hello,

Been a while since I last posted on here.

Just a quick run down of myself.Im 37 year old male, when I was a teenager I had really bad acne and ended up going on Roaccutane which cleared me up good for a while. Then when when I was about 28, I started to notice the condition of my skin getting worst. I wasnt getting spots like i did as a teenager, but I started to get a few nodular spots and notice my complexion was very dull and oily. Since then I have struggle to find out what is causing this, I was sure that it was something i was consuming or doing. I kept going to the doctors and telling them its something im eating or drinking, but like with most doctors, theyre not interested in finding the cause, they just wanna pull you full of pills. Anyway i continued to struggle on, testing different things like gluten, diary etc etc, but still wasnt really getting anywhere.

It wasnt until about 1 and a half years ago that I tried giving up coffee, the first 2 weeks were really difficult, one because i love coffee and two the condition of my skin got worst. I pushed on with it and would you know it after about 3 weeks, the colour came back in to my skin, the spots i had cleared and the oil deduced a lot. since then i have still gotten spots, but nearly as much as it was before. however, even though i have stayed away from coffee and caffeine, like i said there are still times (right now while im typing) that my skin gets oily and i still get some nodular spots. I just wondering if anyone else have had a positive response with giving up coffee, but who has also found that giving up something else has help? I really baffled, Im not sure what Im still doing thats causing me to get some spots and oily skin.

thank you guys

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/25/2019 9:11 pm

Have you taken antibiotics recently ? Do you have a white tongue ? Do you have dandruff ? Get back to me if your answer to one or more of hese questions is yes, and I can provide information that wil help you.

MemberMember
(@r374rd)

Posted : 04/26/2019 3:35 pm

Hey Aussie scientist,

Thank you for your reply. No i have not taken any antibiotics recently, however i have taken them several times in the past. I dont get dandruff as I'm balding, so I usually just shave my head, but I do get folliculitis on my forehead and so often have to wash my forehead withnizoral. My tongue is a bit white, nothing extreme though.

Since cutting out coffee i have seen a improvement, however I got back to the UK from working abroad about a month ago and even though I have kept up with keeping away from caffeine/coffee, in the last month I have noticed that ive been getting more spots and so was thinking that something else dietary is causing them.

thank you

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/26/2019 8:12 pm

Sounds like you have both candida and maasezzia, which are fungal conditions caused by taking antibiotics. These fungi will be causing the nodules. Try applying clotrimazole, antifungal cream topically and see if that clears up the condition.

You cannot control candida or malasezzia with diet but some foods exacerbate it. Eaating gluten, dairy, sugar, preservatives, yeast etc. can exacerbate candida (and possibly malasezzia), but your condition is most likely caused by taking antibiotics NOT by food.

Do not use any moisturiser on your skin (malasezzia feeds on the organic oils in moisturiser, and both candida and malasezzia love moisture). Keep your skin very dry, apart from the antifungal cream.

Ge back to me, if you wish, after using the clotrimazole cream for a week or so. If there is no improvement, I can provide more targeted advice about which antifungal to use for your condition/s.

Do you have unexplained tiredness or unexplained headaches or feelings of disorientation ??

MemberMember
(@r374rd)

Posted : 04/28/2019 9:24 am

Hello AS

Thanks for the info,

How do I go about getting the clotrimazole cream? is it over the counter or will i need to see a doctor to get? when I apply the cream, should i focus directly on the nodular/spot area or apply broadly to my whole face?

I dont get any unexplained headaches or disorientation. I do get tired, but thats mainly due to me suffering from insomnia. (Ive had the acne/spot issue a lot longer than the insomnia and so dont think theyre related)

thanks again.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/28/2019 6:39 pm

You can buy clotrimazole cream over the counter at pharmacists (or online) in the UK - no prescription required. https://www.boots.com/canesten-cream-20g-clotrimazole-10032792; https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/clotrimazole-1-cream/prd-50

Apply the clotrimazole cream to the whole area that is affected.

Let me know how you go. You may need a different types of antifungal cream to control the problem, if the clotrimazole cream dioes not work. I can provide advice on that, if the clotrimazole cream does not work. Apply the clotrimazole cream 3 times a day, at least.

MemberMember
(@medtally)

Posted : 04/29/2019 2:16 pm

@Aussie ScientistCan you tell me what other treatments besidesclotrimazole you recommend?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/29/2019 7:28 pm

Nystatin cream (mycostatin) is best for controlling candida and terbenafine cream (lamisil) is best for controling malasezzia. You can apply the two creams together. In some countries (such as the UK, I think), nystatin cream and terbenafine cream are prescription only. Clotrimazole cream is available over the counter, and it is cheap.

I suggest you start with clotrimazole cream, because it might control your condition. But, by all means star with nystatin cream and terbenafine cream, if you wish, and apply those together (if you can obtain those creams without a prescription or by legaly importing them).

MemberMember
(@gbpackers12)

Posted : 05/01/2019 3:45 pm

On 4/25/2019 at 10:11 PM, Aussie Scientist said:

Have you taken antibiotics recently ? Do you have a white tongue ? Do you have dandruff ? Get back to me if your answer to one or more of hese questions is yes, and I can provide information that wil help you.

How is dandruff tied to acne?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/01/2019 6:36 pm

Acne can be caused by a fungus called malasezzia. Dandruff is also caused by malasezzia fungus. Thus, if a person has acne which is not ordinary acne (and will not respond to treatment for ordinary acne, or only responds briefly to acne treatment) AND they have dandruff, then their acne is likely caused by malasezzia fungus. Anti-fungal creams (terbenafine cream - lamisil - is best for controlling malasezzia) and anti-dandruff shampoo will usually control acne caused by malasezzia.

The very worst thing to do is to take antibiotics because that is what causes the outbreak of malasezzia in the first place. Lots of people with acne are prescribed antibiotics, and then the malasezzia takes over....

Malasezzia feeds on organic oils in skin (and in moisturisers) so one must NOT use moisturisers or organic oils on skin if one has malasezzia acne (ie, if one has odd acne which doe not respond to ordinary acne treatments or only responds temporarily, dandruff, flaking skin etc.)