Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Asylo

Red Marks Left On Face After Picking Acne

So I've grown up as a habitual picker, and I'd pick at my scabs and acne, unfortunately, that resulted in these red spots on my face that don't seem to go away no matter what I put on it.

I've visited the dermatologist and they gave me Hydroquinone 4%, which works on PIH, but I believe I have PIE? 

Any help on what I could do to help my skin issue? Any comments or opinions are appreciated.

IMG_20190216_203316.jpg

@Asylo First of all you know picking causes scars, so please don't do it. I don't see scars. I see PIE or redness or wounding. The best solution for this is vascular laser.

PIE is a wound, as such many use a after laser treatment for early wounds or you can use something like vaserline for a few weeks. A wet wound is a happy wound. 

Once you get past the initial state if there is ongoing redness. I would try the nightly routine below. Other helpful things are glycolic peels or a lightening peel, niacinamide creams, tretinorin or differin, etc. We don't want to irritage a wound so do not put hydroquinone on it. 

Comfrey and callendula is also healing. 

Think of it as a wound or a cut. Some people have these for a year (takes a long time to heal). As such then they seek laser therapy if it takes to long, do not prolong it with over exfoliation, excessive acids, rubbing, or irritating chemicals. 

Use nightly: Retin-a or tretinorin(prescription), or Differin (Target/Walmart), The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid (if you can't get the above). Cureology(USA) & Yoderm(USA) provides online prescriptions with customized skin care creams for your concerns, those in UK Dermatica provides the same thing. Apply a moisturizer when your face is dripping wet. Wait 5 minutes for it to dry, and then apply the tretinoin. This cuts down on irritation, you can also skip days of application if it's irritating and you need to build up %. This provides skin turnover - new collagen. To prevent (reds & browns from all Dr-treatments to ethnic skin or to work on current skin discoloration), try PCA hydroquione free gel for Hyperpigmentaion (Amazon) or Cureology/Dermatica includes this in their products if ordered. Using this prevents hyperpigmentation from treatments. Hydroquinone has side effects for some people, natural option as listed above is better or ingredients kojic acid/Konjac and skin lightener ingredients, like Niacinamide by The Ordinary is great for pores and discoloration as well. The Ordinary, Cerave, Eucerin, Dr Sam Bunting Flawless Cleanser, and Acne.org's products are all great options for moisturizers and cleaners without fragrance / dyes / allergens. Sunscreen is a must (for the sensitive use zinc only physical ones)!