Notifications
Clear all

How should I stop taking Doxycycline?

MemberMember
(@emikaday)

Posted : 01/14/2019 11:57 am

Hello! I have been taking doxycycline (100mg twice a day) for 11 days now and it has tremendously helped my inflamed acne to go down and not re-emerge constantly like the past few months. Ive also been consistently using my usualtopical treatments (mainly tretinoin and glycolicacid) with the medication.

My doctor prescribed me a months worth of doxy, and I was wondering if and how I can stop taking the medication. I do not wish to continue taking it for longer than a month just because Ive heard its not good to be on antibiotics for too long, and so far it has helped me in this short duration.

Im not sure if I should follow my doctors orders to keep taking it twice a day then just stop on day 30, or slowly come off of it in the remaining days of the month? I will definitely still be consistent with my topicals in hopes that my acne will not come back worse after.Please help, thank you!

MemberMember
(@amj1156)

Posted : 01/17/2019 1:35 pm

Hello, with antibiotics you want to keep a steady stream in your blood or else the bacteria can build a resistance. I would recommend you take them twice a day as prescribed for the whole month, and then just quit taking them. You might break out again because you've stopped, but tapering off won't help you to not break out again either:) Good luck!

emikaday liked