Notifications
Clear all

Getting rid of lifelong acne.

MemberMember
(@f_acne)

Posted : 12/26/2018 4:08 am

Hi everyone

I'd like to share some tips that I learned while battling acne for the last 16+ years

I read a ton of info about causes of acne, ranging from diet to home remedies, prescriptions, etc.

There seems to be a ton of info out there which is often contradicting or confusing as, for example, one source tells you that chocolate and junk food causes breakouts and another source says diet has no connection to acne.

Well after years and years of my own research and experimenting on myself.. I've finally been able to get my acne under control. The one thing I've learned is not everything you read online or even everything your doctor says is true for everyone. Everyone is different. So get to know your own body and through trial and error, find what works for you.

I'd like to share what worked for me finally after seeming trying literally everything out there.

1. Diet -- diet is essential to acne prevention for many people. I know people who can chow down on fast food not get a single breakout, they are the lucky ones. For me, this was not the case. I could always feel one coming on after eating certain foods like deep fried, junk food. Myfavorite was fish and chips... and iCould never figure out why I had 3-5 cysts forming on my face after a fish &chip binge. I've been mostly vegetarian my whole life, slightly deviating from strict vegetarianism but always returning back to it, with the exception of dairy and seafood. I noticed when I didnteat dairy products and seafood, my skin would generally be more clear but I never made the direct correlation. Finally I realized that seafood was an allergy for many people, that excessive iodine consumption can cause acne in some people, as well as the excessive oil in deepfried foods. Combine the two, I'm consuming oily, deep fried shrimp, which for some reason created the perfect breeding ground for acne in my skin. I always wondered why I would break out during certain times really really badly with 5-7 cysts on my face, I realized there was a direct link between my obsession with shrimp, lobster, chinese food, etc. When I cut these foods out of my diet, my cystic acne greatly reduced. I mean immensely. So watch your diet. You could be allergic to meat, dairy, seafood, wheat, oil, etc. I rarely eat dairy/eggs, and have now cut out all meat, fish, and seafood. I do still eat a bit of chocolate though. This could be a trigger for some people. For me it's bearable in small amounts.

2. exfoliation - I bought a clarisonic. I realized that exfoliating the skin was an important factor in removing dead cells, to encourage new growth and remove excessive dirt that mixes with the skin's natural oils. I know adding the clarisonic to my regimen greatly improved my complexion. BUT, I know diet played an even greater role as I still had many flareups. Thing is.. exfoliating your skin preps your skinfor the next steps..

3. Retin-A - if you havent heard of it, look it up. Retin-a is vitamin a and regenerates new skin faster, getting rid of large pores and increasing cell turnover. You can order it online as its much cheaper than getting a prescription from a dermatologist. It's also a great way to lessen wrinkles.

4. Benzoyl peroxide and Salicylic Acid(used together)-Everyone has heard of BP and SA. There are a million products out there with either of these ingredients. Thething is, they need to be used in conjunction to work best. BP kills acne bacteria. SA regenerates new skin cells. One lacks what the other offers, so they need to be used together. Another important thing is that they need to be left on the skin like a spot treatment, not rinsed (like in a face wash). The contact time of a face wash just isn't enough to effectively combat acne. So... what I did was I found neutrogena spot treatment (5% BP)and neutrogena spot gel (2% SA). Washed my face with a gentle cleanser, and then mixed a small drop of the Neutrogena 5% BPspot treatment into my moisturizer and apply it all over my face. I wait a little bit and then mix some of the Neutrogena Spot gel (2% SA) into a small bit of moisturizer and apply to my face again.

This has kept my skin clear for the first time in what feels like forever and I just want to share what worked for me, I know all too well the struggle of teenage acne that followed me into my adult years. My mom said acne was just a teen thing and would go away. Not true for all of us. Take action to find out what works for you as early as you can, to avoid battling something unnecessarily for years like I did.

Let me know if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help.Thanks for listening to my story and I hope some of my tips help someone avoid what I had to go through. If only I knew then, what I know now.

HopeNew liked
MemberMember
(@bazzo)

Posted : 12/26/2018 9:05 am

That's interesting you say fish was such a problem, I'm assuming you've tried non-fried, wild fish and had the same adverse reactions? And is the chocolate dark?

MemberMember
(@hopenew)

Posted : 12/26/2018 9:16 am

How did you find out you were allergic to these foods? Was is the process of elimination and breakouts, a doctor visit or both?

MemberMember
(@f_acne)

Posted : 12/27/2018 1:34 am

Hey guys.

bazzo,

that's a good question. Most of my reactions were from deep-fried seafoods. I noticed that when it was friedshrimp or friedfarmed fish (such as fried fish in low quality chinese food), it causeda definite really bad breakout. Deep-fried wild halibut was not as bad, but still,enough of it eventually would cause breakouts.Although, I'm not sure if that's because of the oil.I have had wild, oven-baked salmon and I haven't honestly noticed any cysts or an extreme breakoutsuch as the ones I previously mentioned. Maybe small ones, I never truly binged on the baked wild salmonlike I did the others. I think the high iodine in the shrimp, lobster, and the excessive, poor quality/heated oil is what causes the really painful cysts. I still havemilk chocolate from time to timebut in moderation, dark chocolate is too bitter for my taste. Chocolateis not as bad as cheese which can cause abreakout in no time, likea cheese pizza with stuffed crust.

HopeNew,

it was by the process of elimination and breakouts.

HopeNew liked
MemberMember
(@bazzo)

Posted : 12/27/2018 8:18 am

That's so strange you can't tolerate fish but can chocolate, definitely going against the status quo there. I am sensitive to dairy to the point I woke up with a new spot because I had two mouthfuls of leeks that were cooked in butter! Guess it'll be a while before I taste chocolate again :(

F_acne liked
MemberMember
(@f_acne)

Posted : 12/30/2018 8:26 pm

Bazzo have you ever tried a BP or SA spot treatment?Like a drop of each mixed into your moisturizer? Or any lotion with BP/SA included

MemberMember
(@gettablegrate)

Posted : 12/30/2018 9:34 pm

Your routine sounds similar to mine. How long has that been working for you? My acne isn't too bad but I still have bad days, sometimes bad months. The bad thing is as soon as I stop using these products I'll probably break out really bad.

The worst acne I've gotten in my life was when I experimented with stopping BP.

MemberMember
(@bazzo)

Posted : 12/31/2018 4:30 am

I really hesitate to try new treatments as I also have Dermatitis on my face, even using soap will trigger a lot of redness and flaking :/

It's partly why I am so helpful for natural approach to work as the wrong product can set me back months

MemberMember
(@f_acne)

Posted : 12/31/2018 7:18 pm

21 hours ago, GettableGrate said:

Your routine sounds similar to mine. How long has that been working for you? My acne isn't too bad but I still have bad days, sometimes bad months. The bad thing is as soon as I stop using these products I'll probably break out really bad. 

The worst acne I've gotten in my life was when I experimented with stopping BP. 

It's been about 2 months. I heard stopping does bring the acne back.. which is really unfortunate. I have yet to experiment with stopping but am not looking forward to that. I have a feeling that diet will be something I have to monitor for well.. ever.. and I guess the same applies to the skin regimen. 

14 hours ago, Bazzo said:

I really hesitate to try new treatments as I also have Dermatitis on my face, even using soap will trigger a lot of redness and flaking :/

It's partly why I am so helpful for natural approach to work as the wrong product can set me back months

I understand Bazzo.

If you do decide to give it a shot, I would start off with the tiniest spec of BP in my moisturizer.. then at least if there is a bad reaction it would be minimal. It can be quite harsh. I know the day after I started retin-A cream and using a clarisonic, my face turned beet red and looked like I had a sun burn, hurt a lot too.

MemberMember
(@bazzo)

Posted : 01/01/2019 3:46 pm

Thanks, I will keep the advice in mind should my diet end up failing me