Notifications
Clear all

Help!!! 8 weeks on Retin A!!

MemberMember
(@blissbeauty93)

Posted : 11/20/2018 11:56 am

I have been on Retin A and Tazarac and minocycline antibiotic for 8 weeks. My skin is still red and inflammed. Is this normal and considered purging? Or should i return to my dermatologist? I have included photos please someone who have experience with this give me some imput!!! 

IMG_2229.PNG

IMG_2230.PNG

MemberMember
(@random1)

Posted : 11/20/2018 6:13 pm

Hey there friend, yes I have tried all of these products so here is my take.In my opinion, those products are simply not the right type/strength that you need. In my experience retinoids and AHA's (and the like) work best for light cases of acne.Of course, yourdermatologist may have wanted to try out less-harsh products first and then work his way up, but if you are already at 8 weeks and still not seeing much improvement, then I do think it's time for another type of treatment. If he/you insists on a retinoid, maybe go with Epiduo gel, which contains both Benzoyl Proxide and Differin. Overall though, this type of "deep" cystic acne needs a robust treatment. And I only say that from experience. I personally think you have a good case for Accutane. Of course there is a lot of research to be done, and you should read up on it as much as possible. But you could even benefit from micro-dosing, which is showing some promise in the sense that it doesn't come with as many side effects.

It's all about what you feel comfortable with. I personally do think there's a good chance you could beat this with Benzoyl Peroxide, and it would take some dedication. But if you feel like streamlining it to a more powerful route, then yes, maybe look into Accutane.

One last note, minocycline never worked for me. But Doxycycline did. That could also be something to consider. A

As always feel free to follow up with any questions or comments. Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@blissbeauty93)

Posted : 11/20/2018 7:39 pm

1 hour ago, random1 said:

Hey there friend, yes I have tried all of these products so here is my take.In my opinion, those products are simply not the right type/strength that you need. In my experience retinoids and AHA's (and the like) work best for light cases of acne.Of course, yourdermatologist may have wanted to try out less-harsh products first and then work his way up, but if you are already at 8 weeks and still not seeing much improvement, then I do think it's time for another type of treatment. If he/you insists on a retinoid, maybe go with Epiduo gel, which contains both Benzoyl Proxide and Differin. Overall though, this type of "deep" cystic acne needs a robust treatment. And I only say that from experience. I personally think you have a good case for Accutane. Of course there is a lot of research to be done, and you should read up on it as much as possible. But you could even benefit from micro-dosing, which is showing some promise in the sense that it doesn't come with as many side effects.

It's all about what you feel comfortable with. I personally do think there's a good chance you could beat this with Benzoyl Peroxide, and it would take some dedication. But if you feel like streamlining it to a more powerful route, then yes, maybe look into Accutane.

One last note, minocycline never worked for me. But Doxycycline did. That could also be something to consider. A

As always feel free to follow up with any questions or comments. Best of luck!

Thank you for your input!!!

I started off using 0.5% retin A and now 1%. Along with clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide gel.

Morning routine:

cetaphil daily cleanser

clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide gel

aveeno clear complexion moisturizer

100mg Minocycline

Night routine:

Cetaphil daily cleanser

retin A 1%

100mg Minocycline

I was on this same regimen about a year ago and it cleared up well. It's took about three months. However, once it cleared i stopped everything accept the cetaphil wash and my face stayed clear for about 5 months and then i broke out again and when i went to the dermatologist they put me back on this regimen again stating that i shouldn't have stopped the retin A! I really do not want to go accutane because of the extremely long process and the cost. Im wanting to keep that for last resort but the way my face is looking it is really taking a toll on me mentally. People keep saying i have to give it time to work but i don't think it should still look this bad i feel like it's gone leave very bad scarring.

Im stuck between waiting it out another month or making an appointment with the dermatologist sooner than the three month check up appointment.

MemberMember
(@random1)

Posted : 11/20/2018 11:35 pm

3 hours ago, Blissbeauty93 said:

Thank you for your input!!!

I started off using 0.5% retin A and now 1%. Along with clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide gel.

Morning routine:

cetaphil daily cleanser

clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide gel

aveeno clear complexion moisturizer

100mg Minocycline

Night routine:

Cetaphil daily cleanser

retin A 1%

100mg Minocycline

I was on this same regimen about a year ago and it cleared up well. It's took about three months. However, once it cleared i stopped everything accept the cetaphil wash and my face stayed clear for about 5 months and then i broke out again and when i went to the dermatologist they put me back on this regimen again stating that i shouldn't have stopped the retin A! I really do not want to go accutane because of the extremely long process and the cost. Im wanting to keep that for last resort but the way my face is looking it is really taking a toll on me mentally. People keep saying i have to give it time to work but i don't think it should still look this bad i feel like it's gone leave very bad scarring.

Im stuck between waiting it out another month or making an appointment with the dermatologist sooner than the three month check up appointment.

Wow, that's even more surprising. I wouldn't have thought that all of those products would still not be enough. My derm has always quoted 6 weeks as being a long enough evaluation phase. So it's crazy to think that 8 weeks for you isn't showing more progress. Hmm, how are you feeling about it right now? At the very least is the number of new breakouts being reduced?

MemberMember
(@blissbeauty93)

Posted : 11/21/2018 7:28 am

7 hours ago, random1 said:

Wow, that's even more surprising. I wouldn't have thought that all of those products would still not be enough. My derm has always quoted 6 weeks as being a long enough evaluation phase. So it's crazy to think that 8 weeks for you isn't showing more progress. Hmm, how are you feeling about it right now? At the very least is the number of new breakouts being reduced?

Yes, it seems to be. For the first three weeks i didn't have much peeling at all from the retin A. I didn't start peeling till around week 5 that's when i started to see the blemishes begin to dull out. It's more red then anything now. Also i don't even use the retin A on my entire face as of now because i don't want to experience this all over I've just used it on this one side because i can't handle my entire face purging like this. Someone has been telling me to look into using essential oils as well at this point i have nothing to lose. I thought i would have been a lot more clear by now as well.

MemberMember
(@angelinna)

Posted : 11/29/2018 2:18 am

On November 20, 2018 at 8:56 AM, Blissbeauty93 said:

I have been on Retin A and Tazarac and minocycline antibiotic for 8 weeks. My skin is still red and inflammed. Is this normal and considered purging? Or should i return to my dermatologist? I have included photos please someone who have experience with this give me some imput!!!

This is not normal! I had the same reaction to Retin A and now have scars. I really regret ever putting that stuff on my face and it was only for a month.I would stop using Retin A and only use tazorac. For some reason, I only had mild purging with tazorac and it never made me scar. It's stronger and works better at preventing acne and itwill help you recover as fast as possible. Also to exfoliate even more I would get a salicylic and mandelicacid peel, maybe lactic acid too which isgreat for cystic acne. Your acne looks more cystic in nature, which is what I got after using Retin A.

On November 21, 2018 at 4:28 AM, Blissbeauty93 said:

Yes, it seems to be. For the first three weeks i didn't have much peeling at all from the retin A. I didn't start peeling till around week 5 that's when i started to see the blemishes begin to dull out. It's more red then anything now. Also i don't even use the retin A on my entire face as of now because i don't want to experience this all over I've just used it on this one side because i can't handle my entire face purging like this. Someone has been telling me to look into using essential oils as well at this point i have nothing to lose. I thought i would have been a lot more clear by now as well.

I wouldn't waste any money or time on essential oils. I've pretty much tried it all. If you want results continue with tazorac and do gentle chemical peels.