Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JaneyLady

I have oily skin. Can I used Shea Butter as a moisturiser if I'm using topical retinoids

I've seen lots of people say you should avoid shea butter if you have oily skin and I decided to try it out. I personally liked the feeling of it, but I still trust general consensus more.
However I have been using topical retinol which has dried out my skin. I'm wondering whether that means I can use Shea Butter confidently now?

20 hours ago, JaneyLady said:

I've seen lots of people say you should avoid shea butter if you have oily skin and I decided to try it out. I personally liked the feeling of it, but I still trust general consensus more.
However I have been using topical retinol which has dried out my skin. I'm wondering whether that means I can use Shea Butter confidently now?

I've used shea butter on my oily acne-prone skin with no problems. You should be fine. Shea butter is not comedogenic.

You can use shea butter as long it's natural one. I mean 100% pure, without parabens, synthetic fragnance etc.  

Shea butter is good for acne because it is rich in antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. But I think it's too heavy for acne. And yes as stated above you would only want it to be unrefined SB.  When I used a Retinoid is was so drying, I assume you're experiencing the same. Rosehip, Grapeseed are great for moisture as well and aren't quite as rich as SB.