Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Hi there,

I am 25. After having normal and mostly clear skin since I was a teenager I developed mild/moderate acne (more moderate, I guess) in Jan 2018. I tried various OTC remedies but nothing worked (most made things worse) and I went to my GP (UK) for help in March 2018. 

I was prescribed Differin (0.1% adapalene) but I was too scared to use it because:

a. the prospect of a lengthy initial breakout was probably worse than living with my persistent but never severe acne  

b. I spend lots of time playing sport outside in the sun and occasionally travel overseas for work in really hot/sunny places - could have been a problem with a strong retinoid!

I went back to the GP and asked for another option. I was prescribed Lymecycline (408mg) once per day for three lots of 2 months (total 6 months). It's eventually worked! My skin is pretty much clear with only occasional spots - major improvement. But my GP will not let me take antibiotics for any longer- I am on my last week of tablets.

Now I have so many questions...

How can I maintain this improvement and keep acne at bay?

Has anybody finished a course of Lymecycline and not needed maintenance treatment to avoid a relapse (adults)?

If I start to use Differin now can I expect an initial breakout? Or will it just keep my skin clear? Might once or twice a week be enough rather than the once per day recommended to treat active acne?

Should I wait and see if my acne returns or not before starting Differin? Or would this risk going back to 'square one' and needing antibiotics again? (which might not work the second time around anyway!)

How bad is skin sensitivity to the sun on Differin? (not too bad at low strength, less frequent use, and applying at night?)

Advice/experience from anybody who has faced this situation would be really appreciated! 

Thanks! x

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,
I am also on Lymecycline and worked wonders after 2 months, it cleared my back but im now about into the 4th month of taking them and ive started to notice some spots coming back on my back, is this normal? Does this mean the Lymecycline has stopped working or its just a little blip and after a week or two it will clear and go back to how it was? I have another 2 months of Lyme to go but i'm not sure if its wearing off or its just a blip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep going. They can take 6 months to work. Continuing will certainly do no harm. 

Does anybody have any experience of using Differin to prevent acne after getting it under control with antibiotics?

Anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2018 at 8:34 AM, Tomjb93 said:

Hi there,

I am 25. After having normal and mostly clear skin since I was a teenager I developed mild/moderate acne (more moderate, I guess) in Jan 2018. I tried various OTC remedies but nothing worked (most made things worse) and I went to my GP (UK) for help in March 2018. 

I was prescribed Differin (0.1% adapalene) but I was too scared to use it because:

a. the prospect of a lengthy initial breakout was probably worse than living with my persistent but never severe acne  

b. I spend lots of time playing sport outside in the sun and occasionally travel overseas for work in really hot/sunny places - could have been a problem with a strong retinoid!

I went back to the GP and asked for another option. I was prescribed Lymecycline (408mg) once per day for three lots of 2 months (total 6 months). It's eventually worked! My skin is pretty much clear with only occasional spots - major improvement. But my GP will not let me take antibiotics for any longer- I am on my last week of tablets.

Now I have so many questions...

How can I maintain this improvement and keep acne at bay?

Has anybody finished a course of Lymecycline and not needed maintenance treatment to avoid a relapse (adults)?

If I start to use Differin now can I expect an initial breakout? Or will it just keep my skin clear? Might once or twice a week be enough rather than the once per day recommended to treat active acne?

Should I wait and see if my acne returns or not before starting Differin? Or would this risk going back to 'square one' and needing antibiotics again? (which might not work the second time around anyway!)

How bad is skin sensitivity to the sun on Differin? (not too bad at low strength, less frequent use, and applying at night?)

Advice/experience from anybody who has faced this situation would be really appreciated! 

Thanks! x

 


Hey, 
-I highly suggest that while you are on your antibiotics you also use your differin. You want to cover all basis. - -The fact that you are on antibiotics this will actually help you against ay initial breakout.
-If you are worried about sensitivity to differin you can build up and it should only be USED AT NIGHT 
-You can add a pea size of Bp (this combination works wonders) because they work on different aspects of the skin against acne. And of course as you stop the antibiotics, you can alternate treatments or stop one of them. But I would suggest that you stick with at least one and use it , 2x or 3x/ week to maintain. 
-No matter the skin type everyone should use a sunscreen (one that is good for acne prone skin such as Cerave, Elta Md, Avene, neutrogena clear? .....) 
Ps. I also suggest a gel cream for acne prone skin on damp skin-hydrates and absorbs better with no film. Let that dry then apply your differin and/or Bp. 

Best Wishes.. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tomjb93 said:

Keep going. They can take 6 months to work. Continuing will certainly do no harm. 

Does anybody have any experience of using Differin to prevent acne after getting it under control with antibiotics?

Anyone?

Thanks Tom,
So its normal to have a flare up like this? Will the lyme kick in again possibly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2018 at 11:57 AM, SuaveDory said:

-I highly suggest that while you are on your antibiotics you also use your differin. You want to cover all basis. - -The fact that you are on antibiotics this will actually help you against ay initial breakout.

Yeh, I know that now. But I have just finished my course of antibiotics and can't take any more. So I will be starting Differin without antibiotics. So I am worried that it might make my skin worse... Has anybody used Differin only after finishing antibiotics? 

Thanks for your help though! 
 
On 9/8/2018 at 9:42 PM, PhilipMott said:
Thanks Tom,
So its normal to have a flare up like this? Will the lyme kick in again possibly?

Yeh, it might only fully 'kick in' after 6 months

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes

×