Notifications
Clear all

Not Sure Where to Go From Here...

MemberMember
(@mpp321)

Posted : 08/27/2018 1:59 pm

So I'm 32. Have suffered from acne (mostly cystic now) since my teenage years. Like many of you I have tried the creams, ointments, antibiotics, diets, supplements, natural remedies....everything short of accutane really.

My acne seems to come in waves and jumps from different regions of my body in each cycle. I do notice when my mind is healthy, my body seems to follow. When my mind/thoughts are negative, my body reacts. I am not saying that this is fully the problems, but after years of meditation and observing my own mental status, it is something I have noticed with consistency.

My cysts can jump from around behind my ears, to hairline, to upper back, shoulders, face, chest, lower back, mid back, waist line. I stopped going to a dermatologist years ago because there wasn't much left try besides accutane which I have been skeptical of (still am).

Aesthetics is one thing. Yeah acne sucks but I have learned to live with it (to a certain extent). However, the pain is brutal. I work outside as a professional tree climber and you wouldn't believe how often I get poked and prodded in my soar spots, wearing helmets on top of cysts, etc. It is not comfortable work as it is, but my skin problems add to the pain. I have a high tolertance for pain, but I'm getting tired.

I'm considering accutane at 32. Maybe starting in october to decrease how much I'm exposed in sunlight for working outside. I hate the idea of taking something so potentially toxic. But I haven't found anything that works for me except good mental health (which I have not perfected (yet) on a consistent basis)

What do you guys/gals think?

MemberMember
(@mpp321)

Posted : 08/27/2018 6:58 pm

I'd like to think I can heal myself naturally, from the inside out. I do believe it. However, a long time has gone by unsuccessfully. The World can be a tough place as it is. I roll through it, but boy do I wish to eliminate this painful imbalance

MemberMember
(@bigm84)

Posted : 09/04/2018 4:06 pm

Ultimately its only a decision you can make. I ended accutane about 2 months ago, Im a 34 year old male and was completely sick of getting bad spots at my age. I had some bad times on accutane but it did clear me pretty quickly and the past two months my skin has been good.

Must admit that Im pretty gutted as currently have a few quite big spots so not sure of my long term odds of staying clear.

I get very bad spots on my head and neck so know exactly how you feel about things aggravating them. Lying down on a pillow is even painful for me with my current breakout

hope things work out for you

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/04/2018 4:52 pm

Well I'm in the same situation as you I've tried everything benzyol peroxide, salosylic acid, glycolic acid, clindamycin, spriloactone, the Pill, Azealic acid and not a bit of luck - In fact it's got worse since I got older ! I'm on trimethroprim currently but I mean if things don't work there telling go to the derm immediately as he can see scars coming I'm 28.my confidence is gone at this stage. ur welcome to chat anytime Xxx

IMG-20180826-WA0000.jpeg

MemberMember
(@bigm84)

Posted : 09/05/2018 5:50 am

Yeah I tried everything, I saw a dermatologist when I was 17 and he recommended accutane but my parents heard all the stories of suicide etc and didnt want me to go on it. looking back I wish I would have tried then as I wasted a lot of my twenties and early 30s obsessing over my skin.

Im not saying accutane will work for me in the long run but Im currently a lot better than I was so Im glad I gave it a try