Notifications
Clear all

Study of Retinoic acid + glycolic acid topical on scar. Really good results.Anyone seen this?

MemberMember
(@soni77)

Posted : 07/23/2018 4:28 pm

I just saw this clinical study.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4375771/  

The before after pics look real good. They use a combination of retinoic acid and glycolic acid 12%. "At the end of 12 weeks, significant improvement in acne scars was noticed in 91.4% of the patients."
I am thinking of trying this. 

IDOJ-6-84-g005.jpg

2.JPG

MemberMember
(@soni77)

Posted : 07/24/2018 7:08 pm

I think you are confusing this study. I dont see it posted anywhere in  the forum and the scars are clearly not hyperpigmentation? plus "over optimistic in the % of improvement " is also based on a the scientific method of scar grading -- Goodman and Baron's quantitative global acne scarring grading system? See below Goodman and Baron's global acne scarring grading system. Severe scarring( 3 points each) punched out with deep but normal bases. puched out with deep but abnormal bases.deep broad atrophic areas.

Punched out and Atrophic scars are not PIH, though it may coexist. 

IDOJ-6-84-g001.jpg

MemberMember
(@mel777)

Posted : 07/27/2018 1:25 am

I've had amazing results with Retin A & glycolic acid. They completely changed the texture of my skin.

MemberMember
(@soni77)

Posted : 08/02/2018 6:42 pm

On 7/26/2018 at 11:25 PM, mel777 said:

I've had amazing results with Retin A & glycolic acid. They completely changed the texture of my skin.

Thanks for the review mel777. I am doing it right now and I am kicking myself..that I did not know this earlier. Only been a week and my skin is getting shiny and smooth apart from the dry skin(terrible), I don't have any other discomfort. I don't plan on using it for long. Let's see how my skin is after 2 months. I am using MUAC glylauronic serum and retin-a. I wish the moderators will move it to the appropriate scar forum where it will help others. It is in pigmentation right now.

MemberMember
(@besimple)

Posted : 08/02/2018 7:06 pm

My input on this is start very,very slow because glycolic acid and retonic acid are very potent actives just by their own individual merit. If you are new to retinoids, do not do more than 3xs a week for the first 2-4 weeks if you do not want an irritation beyond the gates of hell. Also, Dr Sam Bunting, a dermatologist on youtube, recommends staggering you acids and your retinoids. An example of staggering would be to use retinoid at night and use glycolic acid in the day time. Also, make sure you use a good sunscreen when using these two actives because they both increase sun sensitivity, which is problematic considering that UV exposure drives inflammation which only make skin matters, including healing, worst. ;) 

Soni77 liked
MemberMember
(@soni77)

Posted : 08/08/2018 1:49 am

Thank you so much for this. I started with retinoic acid and added MUAC glycolic after a week. I felt I had better results with just retinoic.  I will try staggering and do glycolic in morning and retinoic at night for a week.

On the irritation, I had terrible dry skin for a week. Now almost nothing just some dry skin near mouth. Coincidentally I felt better results during the first week.

On 8/2/2018 at 5:06 PM, besimple said:

My input on this is start very,very slow because glycolic acid and retonic acid are very potent actives just by their own individual merit. If you are new to retinoids, do not do more than 3xs a week for the first 2-4 weeks if you do not want an irritation beyond the gates of hell. Also, Dr Sam Bunting, a dermatologist on youtube, recommends staggering you acids and your retinoids. An example of staggering would be to use retinoid at night and use glycolic acid in the day time. Also, make sure you use a good sunscreen when using these two actives because they both increase sun sensitivity, which is problematic considering that UV exposure drives inflammation which only make skin matters, including healing, worst. ;) 

MemberMember
(@besimple)

Posted : 08/08/2018 7:27 am

Dr Dray, a derm on YouTube, recommends applying a moisturizer or ointment around your eyes, mouth, and nose side crevices before applying retinoids. She says it prevents excessive dryness in those especially thin areas.
Hope this helps.

Soni77 liked
MemberMember
(@soni77)

Posted : 08/08/2018 5:10 pm

9 hours ago, besimple said:

Dr Dray, a derm on YouTube, recommends applying a moisturizer or ointment around your eyes, mouth, and nose side crevices before applying retinoids. She says it prevents excessive dryness in those especially thin areas.
Hope this helps.

Thank you, will try this.

MemberMember
(@mel777)

Posted : 08/29/2018 1:53 am

On 8/2/2018 at 7:42 PM, Soni77 said:
On 7/27/2018 at 2:25 AM, mel777 said:

Thanks for the review mel777. I am doing it right now and I am kicking myself..that I did not know this earlier. Only been a week and my skin is getting shiny and smooth apart from the dry skin(terrible), I don't have any other discomfort. I don't plan on using it for long. Let's see how my skin is after 2 months. I am using MUAC glylauronic serum and retin-a. I wish the moderators will move it to the appropriate scar forum where it will help others. It is in pigmentation right now.

What really helps me with dryness is pure aloe vera gel & a humidifier at my bedside while I sleep during the winter.

j_kimberly and Soni77 liked
MemberMember
(@j_kimberly)

Posted : 03/14/2019 1:37 am

Thanks for sharing this, mel! Since my dermatologist suggested me Retin A as a new treatment, I was happy to know it have some positive feedback. Can't be 100% sure though that it will work for me as well, but as for now - so far so good. I'll definitely post some before and after selfies if everything will be fine. Knock on wood.

About dehydration, have this side effect too and this is what helps me: drink tons of water, drink only 1-2 cups tea with caffeine, use a vaporizer at night, moisturize my skin every time I bathe or wash my hands within 2 minutes after.