Notifications
Clear all

Spiro - nausea to the extreme

MemberMember
(@fruitorspearmint)

Posted : 06/17/2018 2:57 pm

Hi! I started taking Spiro for hormonal acne  about ten days ago, starting at 25mg once a day, because I am pretty sensitive to medications and already have really low blood pressure. The plan was to increase to 50mg once a day, then 50mg 2x a day to reach an effective dose. I™m still just taking 25mg once a day. Well I™m already seeing an improvement, which is amazing because I have tried EVERYTHING for the last two years to combat my hormonal acne (my skin went nuts after having my Skyla IUD taken out) except for Acutane. What™s not amazing is How insanely nauseous I™ve been the last few days. I haven™t thrown up from it yet, but it™s been pretty awful (like head-spinning, dry heaves nausea). So I™m just wondering, has anyone dealt with this side effect on Spironolactone? If so, how long did it last? I™m hoping it goes away eventually because Spiro was my last hope :(  I guess I just want to know if the nausea is a temporary thing, or if it means I™ll just never be able to handle this medication?
thanks for any input!

MemberMember
(@lexipixie)

Posted : 08/07/2018 3:03 am

Hi Fruit,

It's been a while but how are you going? I started spiro in mid May, 50mg/day split AM and PM. I haven't really had any nausea at all. I have however had other side effects (I think I'll do a bigger post on my experience).

This biggest problem for me has been anxiety creeping in and making it really difficult to sleep. I decided to start taking my PM dose with lunch instead of dinner, and then I also halved it. So now I take 37.5mg/day (but less because a fair bit crumbles off when I cut them). I have definitely noticed I'm not so wired and feel better. I'm having another breakout though as my body adjusts.

I'm overall shocked at how well spironolactone is working though- so much less oil and so much less active acne in just a few months.

I hope you hung in there and it hasn't been unbearable to take!