Notifications
Clear all

Unknown skin disease

MemberMember
(@elizabeth1994)

Posted : 06/01/2018 1:52 am

I have never had a skin issue until a few months ago and I was told that it was acne I took the medication they prescribed me along with some benzoyl peroxide gel, and it did absolutely nothing to my skin, it™s been like this for the past 8 months. And it™s very depressing I just want my skin too look the way it did before, if anyone could please help. Let me know 

03B69ED6-C2EE-4F43-954E-E5081959BF31.jpeg

35DE14CC-8098-40C7-9FCF-85231C268834.jpeg

5E155B8A-943E-4D13-8428-30CE66DB2D81.jpeg

EE266F46-29CD-4AC1-A645-A9A5495D3538.jpeg

MemberMember
(@elainea)

Posted : 06/01/2018 9:46 am

I suggest that you get your dermatologist to test you for microscopic Demodex skin mites. Everybody has these and a healthy immune system normally keeps them from getting overpopulated. If your immune system was down due to illness, stress, bad diet, etc. they can get overpopulated leading to skin issues like this.

Rosacea and acne can both be caused by Demodex skin mites. Acne medication has no effect on Demodex. A 2 week treatment with Oral Ivermectin and Oral Metronidazole can rid you of the parasites - information on this below. Another option is Soolantra, an Ivermectin cream. Soolantra may take up to 14 weeks to clear the demodex.

The other possibility is a fungal infection. The dermatologist can test for that as well. Antibiotics have no effect on a fungal infection either. There are anti-fungal drugs that can treat this type of infection.

In the mean time a tea tree oil based facial cleanser and moisturizer may be helpful. Tea Tree oil is anti-microbial and will work on bacterial, fungal and demodex mite infestations. Don't get tea tree oil in your eyes it can burn. Tea Tree oil is toxic at full strength but is safe when diluted to 50% or less.

Here are some tea tree oil products that may help:

Tea Tree Oil Based Cleansers:
1. Tranquil Eyes Gentle Formula 1% Tea Tree Eyelid and Facial Cleanser (by eye eco) - Foam cleanser with shea butter - it is gentle.
2. Tranquil Eyes Advanced Formula 2% Tea Tree Eyelid and Facial Cleanser (by eye eco) - Foam cleanser with shea butter - this version is stronger and may be a bit more drying.
3. Desert Essence THOROUGHLY CLEAN FACE WASHORIGINAL - Castile soap base, this is more drying than the 1% Tranquil Eyes Foam - most economical (Available at Kroger, Earth Fare, Amazon, etc.)

Tea Tree Oil Ointment
1. Desert Essence - Tea Tree Oil Skin Ointment - 5% Tea Tree Oil - some treatments recommend putting Tea Tree Oil ointment on eye lids and/or face at night.

Tea Tree Oil Moisturizer
1. Derma e - Tea Tree and Vitamin E Antiseptic Cream - deep moisturizing cream with 5% Tea Tree Oil - soothes blemishes, rashes and other skin conditions. - Haven't used this particular product but I have used other Derma e products that are excellent.
2. The Body Shop - Tea Tree Mattifying Lotion - daily moisturizer

Tea Tree Oil Facial Cleansing Pads
1. Desert Essence - Tea Tree Oil Facial Cleansing Pads - Uses Tea Tree Oil and other essential oils like Lavender that kill Demodex mites - similar use as Clearasil Pads for skin cleansing especially on the go (gym).

Tea Tree Oil Eye & Face Wipes
1. Cliradex Wipes with 10% Tea Tree Oil extract - Excellent for Ocular Rosacea/Blepharitis Demodex - Good for treating both eye lids and face for Demodex mites - pricey though - Dr. Recommended and they work. Be extremely careful not to get this in your eyes - it does burn. Keep eyes closed while applying and until the lotion is dry (takes roughly 1 minute for that to happen).

Here's a link to the article in the International Journal of Infectious Disease from 2013 on the 2 drug treatment for Demodex (this worked for me):
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S120197121201315X

Here's the 2 drug Oral Demodex treatment from the paper - both drugs taken during the 2 week treatment):
1. Two doses of oral Ivermectin one week apart. Each weekly dose is 200 micrograms Ivermectin per kilogram of body weight. Worked out to 12 mg per dose for me. Take on an empty stomach with a large glass of water.
2. Oral Metronidazole, 250 mg. three times a day for two weeks. Do not drink alcohol while taking oral Metronidazole and for 72 hours after taking the last tablet.

MemberMember
(@elizabeth1994)

Posted : 06/03/2018 12:14 am

On 6/1/2018 at 7:46 AM, ElaineA said:

I suggest that you get your dermatologist to test you for microscopic Demodex skin mites. Everybody has these and a healthy immune system normally keeps them from getting overpopulated. If your immune system was down due to illness, stress, bad diet, etc. they can get overpopulated leading to skin issues like this.

Rosacea and acne can both be caused by Demodex skin mites. Acne medication has no effect on Demodex. A 2 week treatment with Oral Ivermectin and Oral Metronidazole can rid you of the parasites - information on this below. Another option is Soolantra, an Ivermectin cream. Soolantra may take up to 14 weeks to clear the demodex.

The other possibility is a fungal infection. The dermatologist can test for that as well. Antibiotics have no effect on a fungal infection either. There are anti-fungal drugs that can treat this type of infection.

In the mean time a tea tree oil based facial cleanser and moisturizer may be helpful. Tea Tree oil is anti-microbial and will work on bacterial, fungal and demodex mite infestations. Don't get tea tree oil in your eyes it can burn. Tea Tree oil is toxic at full strength but is safe when diluted to 50% or less.

Here are some tea tree oil products that may help:

Tea Tree Oil Based Cleansers:
1. Tranquil Eyes Gentle Formula 1% Tea Tree Eyelid and Facial Cleanser (by eye eco) - Foam cleanser with shea butter - it is gentle.
2. Tranquil Eyes Advanced Formula 2% Tea Tree Eyelid and Facial Cleanser (by eye eco) - Foam cleanser with shea butter - this version is stronger and may be a bit more drying.
3. Desert Essence THOROUGHLY CLEAN FACE WASHORIGINAL - Castile soap base, this is more drying than the 1% Tranquil Eyes Foam - most economical (Available at Kroger, Earth Fare, Amazon, etc.)

Tea Tree Oil Ointment
1. Desert Essence - Tea Tree Oil Skin Ointment - 5% Tea Tree Oil - some treatments recommend putting Tea Tree Oil ointment on eye lids and/or face at night.

Tea Tree Oil Moisturizer
1. Derma e - Tea Tree and Vitamin E Antiseptic Cream - deep moisturizing cream with 5% Tea Tree Oil - soothes blemishes, rashes and other skin conditions. - Haven't used this particular product but I have used other Derma e products that are excellent.
2. The Body Shop - Tea Tree Mattifying Lotion - daily moisturizer

Tea Tree Oil Facial Cleansing Pads
1. Desert Essence - Tea Tree Oil Facial Cleansing Pads - Uses Tea Tree Oil and other essential oils like Lavender that kill Demodex mites - similar use as Clearasil Pads for skin cleansing especially on the go (gym).

Tea Tree Oil Eye & Face Wipes
1. Cliradex Wipes with 10% Tea Tree Oil extract - Excellent for Ocular Rosacea/Blepharitis Demodex - Good for treating both eye lids and face for Demodex mites - pricey though - Dr. Recommended and they work. Be extremely careful not to get this in your eyes - it does burn. Keep eyes closed while applying and until the lotion is dry (takes roughly 1 minute for that to happen).

Here's a link to the article in the International Journal of Infectious Disease from 2013 on the 2 drug treatment for Demodex (this worked for me):
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S120197121201315X

Here's the 2 drug Oral Demodex treatment from the paper - both drugs taken during the 2 week treatment):
1. Two doses of oral Ivermectin one week apart. Each weekly dose is 200 micrograms Ivermectin per kilogram of body weight. Worked out to 12 mg per dose for me. Take on an empty stomach with a large glass of water.
2. Oral Metronidazole, 250 mg. three times a day for two weeks. Do not drink alcohol while taking oral Metronidazole and for 72 hours after taking the last tablet.

Thank you so much
I really appreciate all this!!

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 06/03/2018 1:05 am

Pityrosporum (Malassezia) Folliculitis?

MemberMember
(@elainea)

Posted : 06/03/2018 7:52 pm

18 hours ago, MrBakery said:

Pityrosporum (Malassezia) Folliculitis?

Could be. Definitely needs to get the dermatologist to test for both Demodex and fungus (Malassezia). Either one can cause folliculitis. The tests should help nail down the diagnosis and make sure she is getting the correct treatment.