Notifications
Clear all

Purging With Spiroonolactone?

MemberMember
(@zibzib48)

Posted : 05/13/2018 11:52 pm

A little about me and my acne. I started getting acne when I was around 18 years old and It progressively started getting worse as I got older. Was put on topical antibiotics at first ( clindamycin then erythromycin/benzoyl). I used those topicals exclusively until I ask around 22 and didn't see much results. Then dermatologist put me on tretinoin .025% cream along with the topical antibiotics and It seemed to be working fairly well. But now, recently at the age of 25 my acne just isn't responding to topicals anymore. So finally my dermatologist decided to put me on Spironolactone 100mg and aczone gel.
Before I started taking spiro & aczone i will admit my acne was not as bad as a lot of people who suffer from acne. I had 2 decent sized cysts on my left cheek but my right cheek was fairly clear besides my normal acne scars. But recently ever since I started spiro I have been breaking out. This will be my third week on spiro and I have been breaking out in places I normally don't like my forehead and chin. The acne on my left cheek has gotten worse and i started breaking out on my right cheeck now.
For those of you who have been on spiro did you experience the same thing? Is purging a normal occurrence on oral medications or should I just consider this a run-of-the-mill breakout?
THANKS!

MemberMember
(@angelinna)

Posted : 05/18/2018 1:57 pm

Yes, it's normal and expected. I've experienced purging in the first month, but it does get better. I've been on Spiro for 11 weeks now and I'm so happy to say that it works! And a small dose like 50 mg does work and can be enough. I'm almost acne free. No more painful cysts.