Notifications
Clear all

Turning 50 this month and breaking out!!!

MemberMember
(@marycs)

Posted : 05/07/2018 8:02 pm

Hi everyone. I don't know if this is the right place to post under. I have had acne most of my life. Been on accutane a few times, spironolactone. I have had a couple of pretty clear years. But my big birthday is this month. Supposed to have a big celebration, and I've just started breaking out like crazy again!!! I'm so upset I could cry. I have yet another dermatologist appt Wednesday. I hope they can help. In the meantime I've been using Neutrogena acne wash and aczone which dry me out so much. Now I have acne and dry, flakey skin. Just lovely. Anyone on here my age with words of encouragement? I feel like crying.

MemberMember
(@acnevm)

Posted : 05/08/2018 3:33 am

Hello, I see it can be annoying when turning 50 and still getting zits...
I myself is 30 years younger so I don't know how it feels, but I know there is some way of trying to fix it.
Have youu tried to fix the diet, eliminating dairy, sugar, white bread etc.?

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 05/08/2018 7:58 am

have you researched other type of skin problems that look like acne but are not?

it could be your suffering with something which is not standard acne, like fungal/ yeast problem, demotox mites, acneRosacea,dermatitis, hormonal, diet etc

- imo each type skin problem has a specific type of treatment needed and on the flip side, if you use the wrong products, your see no good results and might make it worse (ie redness, more spots etc).. for eg if you have a yeast skin problem, standard acne washes aimed at teenage acne, will have little to no effect.

i would recommend doing some researching to find a similar problem to yourself, then once you identifiy it, you can correctly treat it.google images is a good place to start & there is lots of good old threads here ( use the forum search bar)

MemberMember
(@elainea)

Posted : 05/08/2018 9:06 am

Ask the dermatologist to test you for microscopic Demodex skin mites and fungal / yeast infections.

I had Demodex for years and it was misdiagnosed over the years by 4 different dermatologists with acne vulgaris (bacterial) and the last one said it was hormonal acne. It wasn't. An opthalmologist told me the red eyes were allergic conjunctivitis. They were all wrong, it was all caused by demodex skin mites. They never tested for the mites - they just guessed. They played Russian Roulette with 6-8 different antibiotics and all sorts of expensive topical treatments like Retin-A, MicroRetin-A, Metro Gel, prescription Benzoyl Peroxide, etc. None of the acne meds worked.

If it is demodex, there are both topicals and a very effective, inexpensive oral treatment available. The topical treatment is Soolantra (topical ivermectin in a Cetaphil moisturizer base). The oral treatment is a 2 week treatment with generic oral Ivermectin and generic oral Metronidazole. Topical Metronidazole doesn't work but the oral form does.

The combined oral treatment was used in a medical study published in the International Journal of Infectious Medicine in 2013, Link: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S120197121201315X

The combined oral treatment from the 2013 medical study (thisworked well for me):
1. Two doses of oral Ivermectin one week apart. Each weekly dose is 200 micrograms Ivermectin per kilogram of body weight. Worked out to 12 mg per dose for me. Take on an empty stomach with a large glass of water.
2. Oral Metronidazole, 250 mg. three times a day for two weeks. Do not drink alcohol while taking oral Metronidazole and for 72 hours after taking the last tablet.

The good thing is that this oral treatment uses 2 old drugs that are available as cheap generics. My insurance copay for both drugs was $13.03 - without insurance full retail price was $52 USD.

Tea Tree oil cleansers like Desert Essence Original Face Wash and eye eco's Tranquil Eyes Foaming Cleanser (1% Tea Tree oil) and the moisturizer Derma e Tea Tree oil Antiseptic Cream can help fight off the Demodex on the surface.

Tea Tree oil is anti-microbial and will fight bacteria, demodex parasites and fungal infections.
The dermatologist may have something more effective for a fungal / yeast infection.