Notifications
Clear all

Is 0.1% retinol that strong?

MemberMember
(@mountainsbaby13)

Posted : 04/27/2018 8:51 am

Hey everyone. I just got prescription 0.1% strength retinol. Just wondering, is it really that strong? Summer is coming and id like to get SOME color to my face and was wondering if I could use spf 15 rather than 30 or higher if I can (yes I know sunscreen is so important when using retinol so I don't need the lecture lol). But in all truth would an SPF 15 suffice? Thanks for your comment!

MemberMember
(@acnevm)

Posted : 04/27/2018 9:27 am

Retinol contains a high dosage of vitamin A. Even 0,1% is a large dosage for the skin and it will be highly affective, probably causing dryness and a slight irritation the first 3 weeks.

And the SPF you are using depends on where you are located in the world. In warmer climates you should definetily have >30. But even if you are somewhere colder (Norway in my case), you should still consider 30 SPF to not worsen the pigmentation of the skin.

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 04/27/2018 11:51 am

3 hours ago, Mountainsbaby13 said:

Hey everyone. I just got prescription 0.1% strength retinol. Just wondering, is it really that strong? Summer is coming and id like to get SOME color to my face and was wondering if I could use spf 15 rather than 30 or higher if I can (yes I know sunscreen is so important when using retinol so I don't need the lecture lol). But in all truth would an SPF 15 suffice? Thanks for your comment!

Trust me, IT IS STRONG. I'd get over spf 30. Like spf 50.

MemberMember
(@mountainsbaby13)

Posted : 04/27/2018 3:41 pm

Ok thanks.

I live in Manitoba, Canada.