Notifications
Clear all

Can i eat unhealthy while on accutane without breaking out?

MemberMember
(@melissa-mccal)

Posted : 04/07/2018 7:27 am

Hey Guys, So I had acne for many years, it wasn't cystic acne, but I did have a lot of pimples and oily skin, specially on my cheeks and back, and they would leave red/purple marks. I started to live and eat healthy, I only drank water and I would avoid fast food/candy, milk products, oily, and spicy food and I did go to the gym and did cardio 4-5 times a week. After living healthy for 2 years I would still break out, so I got on Accutane/isotretionion, and my skin is so clear now, and I'm so happy about that. Well, two days ago I ate a lot of candy, chocolate and some milkproducts, and I'm so afraid that I will break out. But will you break out while on accutane? I mean acne is a SKINdisorder, and the food you're eating will basically not affect your skin, but I'm still nervous. I'm soon going on vacation for 3 weeks, and I will probably be eating unhealthy.
Eric98 liked
MemberMember
(@dw75)

Posted : 04/07/2018 9:21 am

1 hour ago, Melissa.mccal said:
Hey Guys, So I had acne for many years, it wasn't cystic acne, but I did have a lot of pimples and oily skin, specially on my cheeks and back, and they would leave red/purple marks. I started to live and eat healthy, I only drank water and I would avoid fast food/candy, milk products, oily, and spicy food and I did go to the gym and did cardio 4-5 times a week. After living healthy for 2 years I would still break out, so I got on Accutane/isotretionion, and my skin is so clear now, and I'm so happy about that. Well, two days ago I ate a lot of candy, chocolate and some milkproducts, and I'm so afraid that I will break out. But will you break out while on accutane? I mean acne is a SKINdisorder, and the food you're eating will basically not affect your skin, but I'm still nervous. I'm soon going on vacation for 3 weeks, and I will probably be eating unhealthy.

I used to be the same as you following a strict lifestyle. It helped quite a bit, but like you I still broke out. My skin was still bad by most standards, despite doing everything I could for it.

I went on accutane July-December 2017. I ate healthily for the first month or so, but after that I allowed myself to eat badly, partly because I wanted to see what happened, but also because I didn't want to be so strict anymore. Result: I don't get breakouts anymore. It's crazy. My skin used to get extra oily and inflamed after eating badly (eventually leading to bad breakouts), but now it's stable. I may get the odd red spot trying to form, but it usually dissappears within a day or so.. The difference is huge. I've gone from having to be super strict to not having to worry at all. Never thought that would be possible for me after failing all other treatments and eating/exercising strictly.

I'd say eat what you want to see what happens. You may be surprised

Eric98 liked
MemberMember
(@melissa-mccal)

Posted : 04/07/2018 11:31 am

2 hours ago, dw75 said:
I used to be the same as you following a strict lifestyle. It helped quite a bit, but like you I still broke out. My skin was still bad by most standards, despite doing everything I could for it.

I went on accutane July-December 2017. I ate healthily for the first month or so, but after that I allowed myself to eat badly, partly because I wanted to see what happened, but also because I didn't want to be so strict anymore. Result: I don't get breakouts anymore. It's crazy. My skin used to get extra oily and inflamed after eating badly (eventually leading to bad breakouts), but now it's stable. I may get the odd red spot trying to form, but it usually dissappears within a day or so.. The difference is huge. I've gone from having to be super strict to not having to worry at all. Never thought that would be possible for me after failing all other treatments and eating/exercising strictly.

I'd say eat what you want to see what happens. You may be surprised

Oh that suprised me i feel so much better now , thanks fo you comment :) but i™d say eat what you want but still be careful bcs you know that kind of foods aren™t good for you , like i™m always strict and it™s not just helped me to have a clear face but also it helped me to have a good body shape

dw75 liked
MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 04/07/2018 12:27 pm

I ate crap when I had good skin and bad skin. I'm on accutane now and continue to eat crap. I don't buy into the whole diet thing yet. Unless you are mega dosing on sugar and fats etc then it's obviously bad. Not just on your skin but for your own fitness and health.

MemberMember
(@ksg604)

Posted : 04/10/2018 3:35 am

Yeah im on accutane and I've had times where I ate nothing but pizza and McDonalds and didnt break out. I can literally eat anything (dairy, fast food, sugary foods, candy) and not break out from it. Even when I was off accutane I did the caveman diet for like a couple weeks (ate nothing but water and fruits etc) and still broke out pretty bad. From personal experience at least I can say that diet doesn't really even have that much of an effect on acne

Eric98 liked