Notifications
Clear all

Oily Nose Crease with Pustules

MemberMember
(@charliebowerman)

Posted : 03/21/2018 7:21 am

Hey,

I've been diagnosed with Rosacea, & subsequently I'm on 100mg of Doxycycline.

My main issue however is my Oily Nose, I'll literally wake up in the morning with an Oil Slick for a Nose.

Accompanying this, as per the attached images, is a constant array of Pustules / Whiteheads / Pimples.

I'll have a new breakout every day, so the area is constantly irritated.

I only use Cetaphil's Gentle Cleanser, so I'm not particularly over-washing or over-drying the area as such, so it seems something else is at play (potentially some strain of Folliculitis or Yeast Infection?).

Can anyone advise a way forward with regards to treating this?

Cheers!

Nose 1.png

Nose 2.png

Nose 3.png

MemberMember
(@ek20)

Posted : 04/02/2018 5:01 pm

I have heard great things about hibiscrb for this type of problem

On 21/03/2018 at 12:21 PM, CharlieBowerman said:

Hey,

My main issue however is my Oily Nose, I'll literally wake up in the morning with an Oil Slick for a Nose.

Accompanying this, as per the attached images, is a constant array of Pustules / Whiteheads / Pimples.

I only use Cetaphil's Gentle Cleanser, so I'm not particularly over-washing or over-drying the area as such, so it seems something else is at play (potentially some strain of Folliculitis or Yeast Infection?).

Cheers!

Nose 1.png

Nose 2.png

Nose 3.png

I've heard hibiscrub can help with this type of problem

MemberMember
(@elainea)

Posted : 09/21/2021 8:52 pm

>I've been diagnosed with Rosacea, & subsequently I'm on 100mg of Doxycycline.

I'm guessing the diagnosis was Rosacea Subtype 2 with Papules and Pustules?

If so, first order of business is to look to what's going on in your gut.Rosacea is frequently found in people who also haveSmall Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO). SIBO's fraternal twin condition is Small Intestinal Fungal Overgrowth (SIFO). Symptoms of SIBO and SIFO are the same and you can get either one or both at the same time Sugar can make your skin oilier. Sugar can also feed a bacterial or fungal overgrowth in the gut as well. SIBO screws up the immune system which in turn screws up your skin. A healthy immune system leads to healthy skin. Some people have been able to get their SIBO under control with a very healthy well balanced diet like the Mediterranean diet containing plenty of high fiber fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meat/protein and healthy oils like olive oil, canola oil etc. The diet should also be very low in sugar. Probiotics can help either from supplements and or from fermented foods.

In Rosacea Subtype 2the pustules are die offs from demodex skin mites and there may be a secondary skin infection that the demodex are tracking around at night. Demodex skin mites eat oil. Live about 2-3 weeks and then die.A normal healthy immune system keeps the demodex skin mite populationunder control. SIBO/SIFO screw up your immune system and allow the demodex skin mite population to get out of control.

Doxycycline is a pretty standard and possibly useless treatment. It does not affect the demodex at all - they are parasites not a bacterial infection. Doxy isn't likely to help a bacterial overgrowth in the gut. Doxy might help a secondary surface infection tracked around by the demodex mites when they come out to mate. The right antibiotic for the specific type of bacteria causing the overgrowth would help.'

SIBO can be caused by at least 8 to 12 or more known types of bacteria. SIFO can be caused by several different types of fungus. If diet doesn't get it straightened out there are Oral antibiotics like Oral Metronidazole, Rifaximin, etc that can clear the condition. If SIFO is the issue there are oral anti-fungal drugs like Difflucan, Fluconazole, etc that can clear the overgrowth.

Have you been tested for SIBO? There is a 3 hour breath test. They measure your breath every 20 minutes for 3 hours after drinking a glucose solution. High levels of hydrogen, methane and or Hydrogen Sulfide gas identify that SIBO is present. The breath test does not identify SIFO or the specific bacteria causing the SIFO. There is a second "gold standard" test for SIBO/SIFO using an endoscope to collect a small fluid sample from the small intestine. The lab cultures the fluid to determine which bacteria and/or fungus is overgrown. The doctor can then select the best drug to eliminate the SIBO and/or SIFO.

If you have SIBO and treating the issues with a healthy,balanced,low sugar diet doesn't work there are oral drugs that can clear up the issues quickly.

I had SIBO with Rosacea Subtype 2 and Ocular Rosaceafor decades misdiagnosed as 3 different problems by multiple board certified doctors. They misdiagnosed it as bacterial acne, allergic conjunctivitis, and "gee, it must be a bug or something you ate". None of the expensive acne treatments prescribed ever worked. The 2 week, inexpensive generic, 2 drug combined treatment using Oral Ivermectin (2 once a week doses) and Oral Metronidazole (250 mg three times daily with food, no alcohol) worked. The Oral Metronidazole cleared the SIBO. The Oral Ivermectin killed the demodex. Still clear 3.5+ years later.

Oral Ivermectin or topical Soolantra (1% Ivermectin) cream can be used to eradicate the demodex overpopulation.

Here's some medical studies discussing treating patients with demodex using either Oral Ivermectin,Oral Ivermectin + Oral Metrondazole, or the expensive antibiotic Rifaximin:

Treatment specified in the following medical study published in the May 2013 issue of The International Journal of Infectious Diseases. The doctors in the study treated 128 patients with confirmed demodex caused skin issues. This study did not test for SIBO. Oral Metronidazole is highly effective at treating at least 2 types of bacteria known to cause SIBO.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S120197121201315X

The medical study using Rifaximin to clear the SIBO of Rosacea patients was published in a letter in the May 2013 Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology here:

https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(12)02330-4/fulltext

The 3rd paper shows a patient with demodex successfully treated with Oral Ivermectin. Originally the patient was misdiagnosed as having bacterial acne and treated unsuccessfullywith Accutane.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5489393/

MemberMember
(@jonathanconda)

Posted : 10/01/2021 8:54 am

On 3/21/2018 at 11:21 PM, CharlieBowerman said:

Hey,

Cheers!

Nose 1.png

Nose 2.png

Nose 3.png

Charlie, did you find the solution to this problem?  I face the exact one. Please revert.

MemberMember
(@taleeha)

Posted : 10/29/2021 7:53 am

I'm also having a similar skin condition now. Moving to consult a dermatologist tomorrow.:/