Notifications
Clear all

Just got prescribed BenzePro emollient foam (5.3%) and 0.1% Adapelene gel and need help with a routine

MemberMember
(@chilliam)

Posted : 02/07/2018 8:57 pm

After 4 months of trying to battle my persistent mild acne with no success, I went to the dermatologist. My prescription is BenzePro emollient foam (5.3%) and 0.1% Adapelene gel.

I was advised to use BenzePro in the morning and Adapelene at night.
I currently do not have much of a skincare routine. I wash my face at night with CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser and moisturize with Clinique Dramatically Different lotion (which I haven't been to impressed by lately).
I am wondering what products, such as moisturizers and sunscreens, I should use along with my prescription. I have dry skin and I know the BP and Adapelene will likely make it even more dry.

If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!

MemberMember
(@beachgirl333)

Posted : 02/08/2018 3:13 pm

Hi Chilliam,

Although your prescriptions are great because of the high strength, they will also be extremely aggravating to your skin. No matter what products you use, make sure they are safe for sensitive skin. It's very important to do as advised and use the BenzePro in the morning and Adapelene at night--they interact very badly together! Absolutely avoid products that include Vitamin C, glycolic acid, or salicylic acid.

Here is my suggestion!

Morning:
-Wash face with BenzePro and dry with a clean towel (you can buy a cheap pack of wash cloths at target, white is best)
-Use a moisturizer with SPF, preferably a physical SPF if you are experiencing sensitivity. There are tons of great drugstore options like Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer with SPF
-If you're in the sun a lot, or in an area with a particularly thin Ozone layer, think about using a SPF face mist throughout the day. I like theSupergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist, plus it's really hydrating.
*If you wear makeup, make sure not to use products for Aging or Acne Prone skin. I know that can sound strange, but they have ingredients that can interfere with your prescriptions.

Evening:
-If you wear makeup, remove it with micellar water and a cotton square. The brand Simple has a great one.
-Wash face with a gentle cleanser. The Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming Cleanser is great, but if your skin is getting really dry try the Neutrogena Hydro-boost Cleansing gel
-(optional) Apply Thayers Rose Witch Hazel Toner with a cotton square. This step reduces redness, but isn't necessary.
-(optional) Apply a dime sized amount of facial oil, Bio-Oil is my favorite.
-Use a night cream (without SPF). CeraVe, Cetaphil, Aveeno, and Neutrogena have great drugstore options. If you want something more high end, I suggest First Aid Beauty or Dermalogica.
-Allow these products to soak in, around 15-30 minutes.
-Finally, apply a SMALL amount of Adapelene gel to your face. If this is your first time using a Retin A, I STRONGLY suggest you only use the Adapelene every other day for the first two to three months. If you have sensitive skin, use it every three days. Additionally, mixing a bit of moisturizer with your pea size amount of Adapalene gel will stretch the product and reduce irritation.

*If your skin does get irritated and scaly, use the BenzePro and Adapelene gel on different days.