Notifications
Clear all

How long for 20mg/w ultra low dose accutane to kick in?

MemberMember
(@huskychef)

Posted : 01/28/2018 6:16 pm

Hi, I started ultra low dose accutane 3 weeks ago to maintain my very mild acne. I'm just wondering how long before it should start to kick in and work.

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/28/2018 6:58 pm

36 minutes ago, HuskyChef said:

Hi, I started ultra low dose accutane 3 weeks ago to maintain my very mild acne. I'm just wondering how long before it should start to kick in and work.

Thanks.

Could be months, but you are using tane even contra to what the manual states- that's extreme acne, for a fixed duration. This sounds like death wish to me, if you intend on taking this for years or whatever.

I wouldn't take even one pill of this stuff for very mild acne.

MemberMember
(@huskychef)

Posted : 01/29/2018 5:20 am

I've done my research,read the low dose accutane studies and are making an educated decision to better my enjoyment of life with extremely low dose accutane. I've already been on 2 high dose courses and they kept me unbelievably clear while on course.
the studies say it's as harmful to your liver as 1 beer a week apparently.

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/29/2018 6:18 am

52 minutes ago, HuskyChef said:

I've done my research,read the low dose accutane studies and are making an educated decision to better my enjoyment of life with extremely low dose accutane. I've already been on 2 high dose courses and they kept me unbelievably clear while on course.
the studies say it's as harmful to your liver as 1 beer a week apparently.

Have you read research that tane affects every gland, hormone, and kills meibiomian gland completely? It alters 6000 genes in just that one gland...

Do you know we don't know how accutane works? It's a cancer/chemo drug.

Permanently microdosing on cancer drug- we DON'T KNOW how works? Seems like a very good idea... surely must be as harmless as one beer a week.

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 01/29/2018 6:37 am

Ignore the 'hate accutane posters'. There is already a thread for that. One thread is more than enough!

Listen to your dermatologist, do lots of research and ask many questions. My experience has been nine months on 10mg Accutane. You are right, low doses are becoming more popular because you get less side effects. I have found the 10mg dose to be effective to stopping my acne (I had it for years). It works slowly, so be patient and ask your dermatologist any questions you got.

I wish you all the best.

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/29/2018 6:59 am

19 minutes ago, ScarRight said:

Ignore the 'hate accutane posters'. There is already a thread for that. One thread is more than enough!

Listen to your dermatologist, do lots of research and ask many questions. My experience has been nine months on 10mg Accutane. You are right, low doses are becoming more popular because you get less side effects. I have found the 10mg dose to be effective to stopping my acne (I had it for years). It works slowly, so be patient and ask your dermatologist any questions you got.

I wish you all the best.

Do you not understand the OP wants to micro dose long term? This is not min dose for eg 3 months, but to "maintain".

He has done 2 courses, and now wants to take it long term. Please show me where in manual it says accutane is to be taken long term.

Lastly, do you not think that given some places BANNED endlessly repeating doses, is for a reason?

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 01/29/2018 8:05 am

Are you a qualified dermatologist?

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/29/2018 8:56 am

1 hour ago, ScarRight said:

Are you a qualified dermatologist?

No, but I can read and had to learn as my fight with this problem is very long- and accutane isn't mean to be taken microdosing long term. Qualified dermatologists have said people can't lose hair, yet many have- we have a full thread here.

Do you know this is a chemo drug used to treat neuroblastoma? Do you understand how accutane works?

Bring me a qualified dermatologist here- please- let him explain HOW accutane works. If you claim accutane is safe, or anyone does, then they need to explain how it works.

I do not advocate banning accutane but risks need to be clearly stated. Many don't allow endless repeated doses of tane, for a reason.

If the question is- should I take low dose over high dose, for a limited term(x months), then yes- low dose. If the question is, should I "permanently" be on accutane, the answer is no.

Accutane is a LAST RESORT drug, meant to be taken short term, to supress acne- very severe ones. It is not a maintenance drug.

BTW, my "rant" here is not on banning, hating accutane or aynthing like that, simply that extreme caution should be applied. Accutane has its purposes.

MemberMember
(@huskychef)

Posted : 01/30/2018 5:26 am

22 hours ago, ScarRight said:

My experience has been nine months on 10mg Accutane. 

How long did that take to kick in for you and was it 10mg/w? :)

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 01/30/2018 9:31 am

4 hours ago, HuskyChef said:
How long did that take to kick in for you and was it 10mg/w? :)

Yes, I have never been above 10mg. My derm noticed an improvement after two months.