Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chanr

Accutane gone wrong, please help

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. So before I started Accutane, I had moderate persistent acne, as shown in the first pic. I tried nearly everything I could such as retinoids, BP, salicylic acid, etc, but my acne continued to grow worse. Eventually, my doctor gave me a prescription of Accutane, and I've been on it for two and a half months. I didn't see an initial breakout until the first month, and damn did it hit me hard. I was prepared for breakouts like I had seen in YouTube videos and pictures, but this is far beyond that. I can now count around 10 cysts on my face, with numerous pimples and red blemishes. I've also noticed general swelling around the side areas of my mouth. I've seen a derm, I've gotten cortisone shots, I've done it all. Has Accutane permanently ruined my skin? Should I get off the drug, or see it through? Any advice is appreciated, my acne is really starting to take a toll on my mental health.

UPDATE: My deem has taken me off Accutane and put me on bactrin. Hopefully things return to normal. 

Snapchat-1397901984.jpg

Snapchat-1345202616.jpg

Snapchat-1697320693.jpg

Snapchat-980987218.jpg

Edited by Chanr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chanr said:

Hi everyone. So before I started Accutane, I had moderate persistent acne, as shown in the first pic. I tried nearly everything I could such as retinoids, BP, salicylic acid, etc, but my acne continued to grow worse. Eventually, my doctor gave me a prescription of Accutane, and I've been on it for two and a half months. I didn't see an initial breakout until the first month, and damn did it hit me hard. I was prepared for breakouts like I had seen in YouTube videos and pictures, but this is far beyond that. I can now count around 10 cysts on my face, with numerous pimples and red blemishes. I've also noticed general swelling around the side areas of my mouth. I've seen a derm, I've gotten cortisone shots, I've done it all. Has Accutane permanently ruined my skin? Should I get off the drug, or see it through? Any advice is appreciated, my acne is really starting to take a toll on my mental health. 

Snapchat-1397901984.jpg

Snapchat-1345202616.jpg

Snapchat-1697320693.jpg

Snapchat-980987218.jpg


Hi mate, i feel sorry for you... the breakout shouldn't be too bad, I never really had one actually. 

Something seems wrong in your case. What does your bloodwork tell you? 

If you feel something is not right, stop the drug now. Accutane can have very severe effects on skin, hair, muscles etc. 

How do you feel? Malaise, muscles etc? You should at least do a very detailed bloodwork. Swelling could be a really bad sign of somethign going on inside body/glands.
  Edited by fiksi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fiksi said:

Hi mate, i feel sorry for you... the breakout shouldn't be too bad, I never really had one actually. 

Something seems wrong in your case. What does your bloodwork tell you? 

If you feel something is not right, stop the drug now. Accutane can have very severe effects on skin, hair, muscles etc. 

How do you feel? Malaise, muscles etc? You should at least do a very detailed bloodwork. Swelling could be a really bad sign of somethign going on inside body/glands.
 
Thanks for replying. My doctor only made me do the initial blood test, which I find strange. As for how I feel, my performance in the gym is unchanged, but I do feel depressed and unmotivated. However, that's probably directly related to the condition of my skin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chanr said:
19 hours ago, fiksi said:

Hi mate, i feel sorry for you... the breakout shouldn't be too bad, I never really had one actually. 

Something seems wrong in your case. What does your bloodwork tell you? 

If you feel something is not right, stop the drug now. Accutane can have very severe effects on skin, hair, muscles etc. 

How do you feel? Malaise, muscles etc? You should at least do a very detailed bloodwork. Swelling could be a really bad sign of somethign going on inside body/glands.
 
Thanks for replying. My doctor only made me do the initial blood test, which I find strange. As for how I feel, my performance in the gym is unchanged, but I do feel depressed and unmotivated. However, that's probably directly related to the condition of my skin. 

OK. FYI- accutane can cause depression directly as well... this is now proven, by rechallenge cases as well. Not every person is the same though.

What does the bloodwork contain? Did you do CK and thyroid levels? 

You should get bloodwork before, and then each month. My basic bloodwork was fine, before I got extreme muscle weakness, so much that getting out of bed was an issue. I only got this after 4 full months on tane, not before and I abruptly stopped. 

Tane will take time to work, maybe even 3 months. But this swelling worries me. Some people have permanently destroyed skin from this drug, some lost hair. I am very worried by your derm, who does not seem to think swelling is an issue, and your situation. 

My suggestion is, you do a very detailed bloodwork(hormones as well) and decide to go for few more weeks, or drop tane altogether. Also, what dose is it now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chanr said:
20 hours ago, fiksi said:

 
Thanks for replying. My doctor only made me do the initial blood test, which I find strange.

It does seem strange. I had to do two blood tests. The first one was before starting Accutane and the second two months after commencing Accutane. Since I am on a longer term, small dose regime, I do not need to do any more blood tests. I would follow up with your prescribing dermatologist right away if you are not sure of anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes

×